NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Indicators, a waste of time?

Discussion in Psychology and Money Management

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one three86 with 23 posts (35 thanks)
    2. looks_two SkyITL with 19 posts (47 thanks)
    3. looks_3 HiLatencyTRDR HLT with 16 posts (31 thanks)
    4. looks_4 Ecclesiastes with 14 posts (50 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one Ecclesiastes with 3.6 thanks per post
    2. looks_two SkyITL with 2.5 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 HiLatencyTRDR HLT with 1.9 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 three86 with 1.5 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 33,888 views
    2. thumb_up 385 thanks given
    3. group 410 followers
    1. forum 220 posts
    2. attach_file 59 attachments

Search this Thread

Indicators, a waste of time?

ZB23 
Atlanta Metro Area

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: Rithmic API
Broker: Ironbeam
Trading: Futures: CL spreads, IR outright.
Frequency: Never
Duration: Never
Thanks Given: 60
Thanks Received: 198

Fu510n View Post
Can you provide an example of a "feature-engineered indicator"?

Thanks!

I can't provide an example. However, I can provide a description.

Feature-engineering occurs in machine learning.

For example, let's say that you have a classification model (predict BUY and SELL conditions).

The features used to predict BUY or SELL conditions could be the following:

1. Closing prices
2. MACD
3. RSI
4. Moving Average (MA)

The following could be engineered features:

1. MACD * RSI
2. MACD / RSI
3. MA * MACD

You or the machine learning model could create the additional features.

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
Exit Strategy
NinjaTrader
MC PL editor upgrade
MultiCharts
How to apply profiles
Traders Hideout
REcommedations for programming help
Sierra Chart
NT7 Indicator Script Troubleshooting - Camarilla Pivots
NinjaTrader

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Spoo-nalysis ES e-mini futures S&P 500
29 thanks
Just another trading journal: PA, Wyckoff & Trends
25 thanks
Tao te Trade: way of the WLD
24 thanks
Bigger Wins or Fewer Losses?
23 thanks
GFIs1 1 DAX trade per day journal
17 thanks
toucan94506bm
danville ca usa

Thanks Given: 48
Thanks Received: 75

thanks for your answers

toucan

msadiq109 View Post
Here are my answers to your questions.
1- I am not a conventional swing trader all my positions are flat at market close so you can say day trader.
in this post you quoted for CL The macro chart is a unirenko 32 with open offset 1 tick and reversal 500 ticks.

2-No matter what kind of trading style (scalping, Momentum, HFT,Momentum Steep Trend, Slow-grind steep trend, Swingy trend or range bound price action) I participate and trade all market conditions. So no specific trading style but for sure day trader as my trades are closed 30 seconds before session close.

3-Yes my entries are 100% automated but profits sometimes I manage manually looking at market context.

4-My trading charts are not time based they are renko charts in my case unirenko of suitable brick size for different instruments in case of Cl is unirenko 4 with open offset of 1 tick and reversal 4 tick.

5-The micro chart you are referring to is 4 tick unirenko not a minute chart.Depending on the price action for a particular instrument
how much price action can be covered in the given snashort.the chart in the post shows two days open and two days close as well.

6-Cyan line is the control line which controls the swing size and the red and Yellow-green lines.Yes red and Yellow-green Lines are entry and exit lines. Red line is used for possible high probability counter trend and pullbacks trades entries and exits and green line for trend entries and exits. Cyan line is a must trade line no matter what when price touches cyan line the system take the trade in the direction of trend and if candle closes below the micro swing bias Changes direction and now cyan line moves to top and red and green lines interchange colors and now can be used for micro short bias trading for counter and trend trades.

7-The lines have no bias the background color of the chart show the micro bias the teal is long bias and purple is short bias.
The back ground color is controlled by cyan line which is certainly controlled by price swings which are based on price movement
may be in form of standard deviation or simple price swing measured in ticks.I have about 25 different parameters in this swing indicator which help me manage my entry and exits mechanically in any market conditions and any style of trading.

8-When I say mechanical i mean my stops may vary a tick or 2 in my favor or against depending on market condition but not beyond that, as I have such lines available on my micro trading charts for tight entry and exits for any kind of trading style.

As the scope of this thread was not discussing trading methodology but just to give an idea, how indicators can help us to facilitate
our trading so I tried to substantiate my point.

I have about 5 variations of this swing indicator which help me to dictate the market my terms (my-way or highway).
Which means go my direction or take few ticks as SL and take a hike no chasing no fighting no adding to loosing trades for the sake of $ cost averaging .

I am a big proponent of law of large numbers and it has changed my life and trading style and I am following it religiously.
Some times people ask how large is actually large the answer is at least 100 trades qualify for large number concept.
Hope it helps.

Thanked by:
Mysterion
Vienna, Austria

Thanks Given: 13
Thanks Received: 23

Just my 2 cents on this:

There is no indicator that will ever consistently make you money. The best indicator is your expirience and intuition. That can only be gained from screen time and studies.

The only indicators I've personally found useful, are the following:

VWAP
Cumulative Delta
EMA's

Thanked by:
homevesuvian
Napoli ITALY

Thanks Given: 5
Thanks Received: 6

Hi,
an indicator that I find useful for gaining and limiting losses is patience... in short, wait for a signal only if it has all the requisites to move the price accompanied by volumes.
Then it must be said that probability is the mother of all the results we get (good or bad)

Ecclesiastes
Las Vegas NV USA

Thanks Given: 4
Thanks Received: 67

Indicators and candles = Waste of Effort, Time, and Braincells.

Learn to read the DOM.

Learn to apply Discount, Premium, and Fair Price to product inventory.

Making sense of a candle pattern on any timeframe with any associated MA's, indicators, stochastics, blsh-blah-blah is complete and utter nonsense.

Trade as an institutional trader does. Use orderflow. Use the DOM to track orderflow.

You cannot do this without professional trading software nor can you do it without proper training on knowing WTF you are looking at.

There is no substitute for training and screen-time.

READ THIS: You WILL NEVER SUCCEED if you follow candles. It is a ruse. Price tracking is just that.. it's price tracking, and has nothing to do with product transactional directional bias (which is what you as a professional trader are doing--predicting the short term product inventory pricing with respect to discount, fair-price, and premium) (hint: those three things to a candle trader are called VAL, VPOC, and VAH).

Cheers,
Fred

Linktind
Giessen, Hessen

Thanks Given: 1
Thanks Received: 3

Mysterion View Post
Just my 2 cents on this:

There is no indicator that will ever consistently make you money. The best indicator is your expirience and intuition. That can only be gained from screen time and studies.

The only indicators I've personally found useful, are the following:

VWAP
Cumulative Delta
EMA's

Can't agree more with this!

Thanked by:
 n7ekg 
Plano, TX

Experience: Advanced
Platform: Sierra Chart
Broker: AMP
Trading: ES, NQ, CL
Thanks Given: 22
Thanks Received: 44

Err, what are the red, green, and cyan lines? Cyan line looks like some sort of ATR trailing stop, but not sure what the others are.

Thank you!

Follow me on Twitter Reply With Quote
 thw333333 
Jupiter Island, FL

Platform: TOS
Broker: TOS
Thanks Given: 67
Thanks Received: 77

Maybe someone with a broader understanding can help me on this. It has been my understanding that any widely followed signal generating indicator would stop working fairly quickly since so many people hitting those same levels create an exploit for the algos. For that reason, I don't think any off the shelf indicator is of much use. I have a couple of indicators I like that I had custom built.

n7ekg 
Plano, TX

Platform: Sierra Chart
Broker: AMP
Trading: ES, NQ, CL
Thanks Given: 22
Thanks Received: 44

thw333333 View Post
Maybe someone with a broader understanding can help me on this. It has been my understanding that any widely followed signal generating indicator would stop working fairly quickly since so many people hitting those same levels create an exploit for the algos.

Algos chase liquidity - they don't go gunning for your stops, they don't run over levels or indicators or moving averages. The fact that most indicators are based on pure price action is in and of itself a mistake, since algos don't care about price action at all - just liquidity and volume.

thw333333 View Post
For that reason, I don't think any off the shelf indicator is of much use. I have a couple of indicators I like that I had custom built.

Interesting that various moving averages like the 200 and 50 have worked for years, but that's because many traders place orders at these levels, and it only takes seconds for the typical bank algo to figure out what those are, and where everyone is placing their orders (and stops).

Follow me on Twitter Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
homevesuvian
Napoli ITALY

Thanks Given: 5
Thanks Received: 6

n7ekg View Post
Algos chase liquidity - they don't go gunning for your stops, they don't run over levels or indicators or moving averages. The fact that most indicators are based on pure price action is in and of itself a mistake, since algos don't care about price action at all - just liquidity and volume.

Interesting that various moving averages like the 200 and 50 have worked for years, but that's because many traders place orders at these levels, and it only takes seconds for the typical bank algo to figure out what those are, and where everyone is placing their orders (and stops).

Hi,
I think like you
it is as if all the architecture built to make sense of what we call graphics or price action were nothing more than a way to know in advance where the Retail Negotiations are positioned.
A reverse push ''NUDGE''
rather than helping with TA it makes us vulnerable
This is my point of view...

Thanked by:

Last Updated on February 11, 2024

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts