NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Indicators, a waste of time?

Discussion in Psychology and Money Management

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one three86 with 23 posts (35 thanks)
    2. looks_two SkyITL with 19 posts (47 thanks)
    3. looks_3 HiLatencyTRDR HLT with 16 posts (31 thanks)
    4. looks_4 Ecclesiastes with 14 posts (50 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one Ecclesiastes with 3.6 thanks per post
    2. looks_two SkyITL with 2.5 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 HiLatencyTRDR HLT with 1.9 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 three86 with 1.5 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 32,398 views
    2. thumb_up 385 thanks given
    3. group 410 followers
    1. forum 220 posts
    2. attach_file 59 attachments

Search this Thread

Indicators, a waste of time?

skellington 
San Jose, CA

Experience: Intermediate
Trading: Futures
Thanks Given: 36
Thanks Received: 37

In my experience, there is no real difference between indicators since they use the same historical data. You can dress up the data in a bunch of different ways, but fundamentally it's the same data.

If you could trade off indicators alone, it would be trivial to automate such a system, which implies that this doesn't work or else it would already be automated but then all the bots would fight each other which would change the market and break the automation.

Indicators are only useful as support for whatever trading hypothesis you've developed.

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
Exit Strategy
NinjaTrader
Futures True Range Report
The Elite Circle
NT7 Indicator Script Troubleshooting - Camarilla Pivots
NinjaTrader
NexusFi Journal Challenge - April 2024
Feedback and Announcements
My NT8 Volume Profile Split by Asian/Euro/Open
NinjaTrader

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Get funded firms 2023/2024 - Any recommendations or word …
61 thanks
Funded Trader platforms
39 thanks
NexusFi site changelog and issues/problem reporting
26 thanks
Battlestations: Show us your trading desks!
26 thanks
The Program
18 thanks
richardrgayton
Fullerton California

Thanks Given: 13
Thanks Received: 15

I dont use indicators other than an EMA and even that just summarizes what I am already seeing with price movement. When I started many years ago I "believed" in stochastics, then I "believed" in MACD and found all of that was just reassurance that something other than my own eyes and reasoning can "read" the market.

SpeculatorSeth   is a Vendor

Thanks Given: 22
Thanks Received: 1,018

There is not much edge in setups based purely on price. I wouldn't say that makes such indicators useless though. They can still provide information that might supplement real edge. Or at the very least remind you of things.

- SpeculatorSeth
Thanked by:
bobbybones
Charleston, SC

Thanks Given: 0
Thanks Received: 1

TBH I struggle with reading through data from the DOM to make any trades, any resources that can help with that? I do watch it but I haven't figured out how to make it any more useful than what I see on the chart with price and volume.

I use moving averages and VWAP more or less to help confirm my bias for a trade, but especially in trending markets they can not give reliable entries. But I do see patterns especially on the hourly and 15m charts that will at least give me confirmation I need for a trade.

Thanked by:
 Stone78 
Woodinville

Experience: Beginner
Platform: Ninja Trade, Thinkorswim
Trading: Micro Mini
Thanks Given: 16
Thanks Received: 16

Indicators are just math based off of price action and/or volume. Nothing more, nothing less, and certainly nothing "magic". Enough hours of screen time and you'll learn to see what half of them show you just by glancing at a chart. They are just their to help answer these three questions imo "does this thing I'm trying to trade look cheap, expensive, and how is it trending". The follow up question to that being, "realtive to what". That's up to the trader, it could be different timeframes other instruments etc. I'm gonna throw in a link to this tweet, think about how an indicator could help you (or not help you) answer the question it poses. Personally, I'm a fan of anchored VWAPs to help me visualize how cheap or expensive something is relative to previous price action or key economic events (Fed speak or earnings reports for example). Nothing crazy, just the way I like aid in trying to find if something looks "mispriced". I.E
the markets are wrong and my dumbass is right and I'm convicted enough in that notion to bet on it. That's my rant I guess. Hope it helps this conversation.

Thanked by:

Tripken 
Knoxville, TN/USA
Market Wizard

Platform: TradeStation
Broker: TradeStation
Trading: ES
Frequency: Several times daily
Duration: Minutes
Thanks Given: 1,562
Thanks Received: 1,364

I use indicators. Most standard, 1 custom and 1 modified (Linear Regression channel). The custom basically gives my entry signals and is realtime not lagging, the rest are for context like EMA for trend or range, Prev High/Low,Close and Pivot points for prior S/R. Much of the setups are based on PAT's system which I started futures with.

Don't think I'm talented enough to trade only the DOM

Adding my charts from today for clarity, much said about indi's being not much help, I disagree. I trade ES/MES 2000/1500 tick charts and watch a 3X HTF 6000/4500 tick. No wavy lines just a leading indi and some that show the previous S/R.

To each his own rings true! Good Trading all!

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2023-04-04_14-27-53.png
Views:	295
Size:	101.8 KB
ID:	330779   Click image for larger version

Name:	2023-04-04_14-28-38.png
Views:	230
Size:	119.3 KB
ID:	330780  
 Stone78 
Woodinville

Platform: Ninja Trade, Thinkorswim
Trading: Micro Mini
Thanks Given: 16

I really think indicators can be invaluable visualization aids dependent on the trader and their style. A useless indicator to one person can absolutely help another with their trades. When it comes to indicators I've found it helps to think along the lines of, "what do I want the market to show me" then find an indicator to fit that or build it yourself.
Tripken View Post
I use indicators. Most standard, 1 custom and 1 modified (Linear Regression channel). The custom basically gives my entry signals and is realtime not lagging, the rest are for context like EMA for trend or range, Prev High/Low,Close and Pivot points for prior S/R. Much of the setups are based on PAT's system which I started futures with.

Don't think I'm talented enough to trade only the DOM

Thanked by:
SunTrader
Boca Raton, FL

Thanks Given: 81
Thanks Received: 182

Like Gann once said - use all the tools .... all the time.

Thanked by:
three86
Vista, California USA

Thanks Given: 3
Thanks Received: 74

To me that is like saying you don't need a speedometer to drive. Correct you really don't need it but it can be nice to have one or a gas gauge or engine temp etc.

I have created so many indicators over the years (decades now) based on other indicators and also just making them if some idea pops into my head that I want to explore.

I trade mainly /es and I fade intraday in direction of the longer term trend (looking at the last 8 hours vs the last 3 months). I use atr/vix for position sizing, bollinger/moving average/internals to determine if I should be buying or selling, $tick and bollinger for entry and previous high/low/ohlc4 for exit. A simple example entry would be if price is moving up daily but is also at the bottom of shorter term bollinger and tick hits -1000 go long one unit when tick comes closes back below -500. Then for exit I get out at previous day high or ohlc4 or more often go do something else letting the trade sit for a few hours.

dan1957 
tacoma washington usa

Experience: Advanced
Platform: sierra chart
Trading: es
Thanks Given: 0

It's refreshing to see someone catching on to the fact that price based indicators are essentially the history of the market. The market couldn't care less about history. The market moves at all because big money uses market orders to drive the market and icebergs to stop or manipulate market until they get their whole position on or distribute their size to get out. I challenge anyone to find a successful hedge fund that uses price based indicators. There are many tools to measure order flow- the dom among them. Congratulations on your success....

Thanked by:

Last Updated on February 11, 2024

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts