2. attach_file 5 attachments

Search this Thread

Trading Delta Volume on MetaTrader 5

TheSwede
Jönköping Sweden

Thanks Given: 12
Thanks Received: 15

Hi.

I have been programming and tweaking different options for EAs using delta volume on MT5 for a year now. Its going really well, but the way I have it set up it only trades a couple of times a month, maybe once a week. Slow and boring to say the least.
I haven't found any programmers that use delta volume in their EAs, at least not the way I am doing it.

I only trade EU6(euro-fx) and GCE(Gold) with CME data, I use different methods to find the outer boundaries of price and there I trade the delta imbalances. As of now I have 4 different setups that coexist in the same EA and they are all scalps. I only use dynamic SL and TP, I don't believe in firm because the market isn't fixed so you never know what will happen before hand.

Was wondering if there is anybody else that use Delta Volume in their trading with the mt5 platform.

Thanked by:

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
ZombieSqueeze
Platforms and Indicators
REcommedations for programming help
Sierra Chart
Trade idea based off three indicators.
Traders Hideout
NT7 Indicator Script Troubleshooting - Camarilla Pivots
NinjaTrader
Better Renko Gaps
The Elite Circle

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Just another trading journal: PA, Wyckoff & Trends
30 thanks
Spoo-nalysis ES e-mini futures S&P 500
28 thanks
Tao te Trade: way of the WLD
24 thanks
Bigger Wins or Fewer Losses?
20 thanks
GFIs1 1 DAX trade per day journal
16 thanks
TheSwede
Jönköping Sweden

Tuff crowd I see.

Either nobody is using Delta Volume and being profitable or there are just not that many futures traders using MetaTrader 5.
MetaTrader 5 gives me the possibility to trade automated and rather simple too. It doesn't look that glamorous like some of its components, but it does the job.

The thing is I have tried several different platforms and lately I even bought Jigsaw Daytradr just because it was possible to connect it with MetaTrader 5. I needed to see if the stack/pull indicator was something I could implement in my own strategy.
But, I cant find a way to be profitable trading manually on any platform. Maybe its just me who lack the skill or I just don't have the patience staring at a screen for several hours trying to make some money.

We need to be honest here, the reason for trading is just to make money, preferably lots of it. Everywhere you look you will find some snakeoil salesman trying to convince you that you need either this or that to trade manually. If it was that simple they wouldn't sell it in the first place. Then we have people who sell courses, they make their money on just the courses and not on trading as they should be if their trading strategy was that profitable and easy to master.

If it cant be automated it isn't worth it, at least not for me at this moment.

uenkala
sandiego california

Thanks Given: 0
Thanks Received: 1

But MT5/4 doesn't provide buy and sell volume, so how do you get delta volume ?

are you using the famous delta river or cluster delta ??

Thanked by:
uenkala
sandiego california

Thanks Given: 0
Thanks Received: 1

I don't trade delta volume, but I am thinking of moving from MT5 to Ninjatrader because MT5 really sucks at drawing (for calculating it is fine). I have around 500 plots/buffers in total, spread over 2 charts and it's just awful during NYC open lol. It is even worse on MT4, since it is single threaded. I tried to run 2 terminals in parallel since the install folders are portable, but it really doesn't help.
I don't do algos but only indicators...I wish Metaquotes had done a real update to MT4 to modernize it, instead of a some bastard stuff like MT5 (for indicator). I think for algos it's not that bad, since algo don't draw in general.

TheSwede
Jönköping Sweden

uenkala View Post
But MT5/4 doesn't provide buy and sell volume, so how do you get delta volume ?

are you using the famous delta river or cluster delta ??

Depending on what you trade and where you take your data from you can get real volume. Brokers offering CME data will give you real volume on futures on MT5.
Forex on the other hand don't offer real volume data no matter what broker you use. MT4 don't have the possibility to show real volume either.
You cant use Delta River or Cluster Delta in any EA, they don't have any readable buffers.

I haven't found any Delta indicator on the market that suit my needs, so I made my Volume Delta, Cumulative Delta and Percent Delta myself.
Because I only trade with EAs I need the indicators to be fast, usually Delta Volume indicators are slow.

TheSwede
Jönköping Sweden

uenkala View Post
I don't trade delta volume, but I am thinking of moving from MT5 to Ninjatrader because MT5 really sucks at drawing (for calculating it is fine). I have around 500 plots/buffers in total, spread over 2 charts and it's just awful during NYC open lol. It is even worse on MT4, since it is single threaded. I tried to run 2 terminals in parallel since the install folders are portable, but it really doesn't help.
I don't do algos but only indicators...I wish Metaquotes had done a real update to MT4 to modernize it, instead of a some bastard stuff like MT5 (for indicator). I think for algos it's not that bad, since algo don't draw in general.

Sounds like you don't have the best computer for your setup. Some indicators are just real resource hogs.
I get that trading manually MT4 and MT5 isn't the best choice, but as you say for algo trading its really good and its pretty simple to get started with it. At least MT5 according to me.
There are some setbacks with backend plugins for brokers and that it lacks some bells and whistles like a better DOM.

TheSwede
Jönköping Sweden

So last year was a really good trading year for me. I was up 800% from January to August, had some losses in August and December. But it ended with almost 1000%, that's 10 times my initial account value. To be honest I had some drawdowns that could have ended badly 2 times, but overall the trading was really good. One of the drawdowns was my own fault since I tried to tweak my EA and forgot to change it back after a weekend. You learn from your mistakes I guess.
Now I make my changes in a copy of my working EA instead, if I like the changes I will put them in my working EA.

The biggest challenge is to know when to take a loss and when to let it unfold and hopefully reverse into a winner. My program often don't get that large drawdowns, but I hate to take a loss and later find out that it would have been a winner. I have a failsafe for 50% drawdown that closes all open positions, but hopefully I will never experience that but I got close one time.
As I mentioned before I don't have static TP or SL, everything is dynamic. The market decides where my stops are, but that dynamic stop calculation can be changed into higher or lower risk.

I wonder why 2022 was that good and not 2020-2021. I have made backtests on those 2 years with the same settings as I have had during 2022. 2020 is more or less flat and a couple of bad trades during 2021 makes that year a miner winner. If I do change my setting I will of course get better results, but I wouldn't have known that back then.

So what was different? Covid, world economy, risk on/off. I don't know.
What I do know is that market change from time to time, probably because banks and institutes hedge their investments in different assets.

Maybe somebody can help me figure this out.

Sesam
Aschaffenburg Germany

Thanks Given: 27
Thanks Received: 50

TheSwede View Post
Hi.

I have been programming and tweaking different options for EAs using delta volume on MT5 for a year now. Its going really well, but the way I have it set up it only trades a couple of times a month, maybe once a week. Slow and boring to say the least.
I haven't found any programmers that use delta volume in their EAs, at least not the way I am doing it.

I only trade EU6(euro-fx) and GCE(Gold) with CME data, I use different methods to find the outer boundaries of price and there I trade the delta imbalances. As of now I have 4 different setups that coexist in the same EA and they are all scalps. I only use dynamic SL and TP, I don't believe in firm because the market isn't fixed so you never know what will happen before hand.

Was wondering if there is anybody else that use Delta Volume in their trading with the mt5 platform.

I trade delta imbalances via SC.
Exclusively ES because it a pretty liquid instrument with a good of.

I left mt4 and 5 trading years ago, because of the messy source and the virtual dealer plugin/spread markup that gives the broker side a enormeous advantage.

TheSwede
Jönköping Sweden

Sesam View Post
I left mt4 and 5 trading years ago, because of the messy source and the virtual dealer plugin/spread markup that gives the broker side a enormeous advantage.

Yes the dealer plugins is the thing that holds me back a bit too, but with trade copier via API I can resolve that. Only problem that will give me is a larger latency.

Sesam View Post
I trade delta imbalances via SC.
Exclusively ES because it a pretty liquid instrument with a good of.

What timeframe do you trade Delta imbalance on? Do you use anything else in combination with Delta Volume?

Sesam
Aschaffenburg Germany

Thanks Given: 27
Thanks Received: 50

TheSwede View Post
Yes the dealer plugins is the thing that holds me back a bit too, but with trade copier via API I can resolve that. Only problem that will give me is a larger latency.

What timeframe do you trade Delta imbalance on? Do you use anything else in combination with Delta Volume?

There s nothing to find on mt4 or 5 what that makes the difference.
There is a reason why professional dealers don t want to safe the money for a datafeed and a good software.
I trade 4,5,6 tick range bar charts ES.

I tried others, but that is the instrument that delivers best results.

The basic trigger is always a delta imbalance with some key triggers like a bull / bearish abrorption.

Best, Guido

Last Updated on May 21, 2023

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts