NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

2023 Bank Crisis and Meltdown: Silicon Valley Bank, Signature Bank, Credit Suisse ...

Discussion in Stocks and ETFs

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one Big Mike with 8 posts (22 thanks)
    2. looks_two SunTrader with 8 posts (3 thanks)
    3. looks_3 phantomtrader with 6 posts (15 thanks)
    4. looks_4 SMCJB with 6 posts (8 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one bobwest with 7 thanks per post
    2. looks_two Big Mike with 2.8 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 AllSeeker with 2.7 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 phantomtrader with 2.5 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 9,927 views
    2. thumb_up 122 thanks given
    3. group 572 followers
    1. forum 65 posts
    2. attach_file 6 attachments

Search this Thread

2023 Bank Crisis and Meltdown: Silicon Valley Bank, Signature Bank, Credit Suisse ...

becker908
Scottsdale, AZ

Thanks Given: 5
Thanks Received: 6

All you're seeing so far is just the tip of the iceberg.

Regional banks hold 70% of commercial real estate loans[you'll have to Google that, it won't let me post the link]. Guess what's happening to commercial real estate in pretty much every city in the US? It's tanking. Buildings are empty, rents will be going way down. Commercial RE loans are all adjustable. When they come due, borrowers will face a double take: the interest rate on the new loan will be significantly higher, and revenue from leases will be significantly lower. That will drive the value of the property down which will either raise the interest rate more or will make the loan not doable.

Virtually every type of loan right now is seeing default rates increase dramatically. When the perfect storm hits commercial real estate it will make 2008 look like the really good old days.

Thanked by:

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
ZombieSqueeze
Platforms and Indicators
How to apply profiles
Traders Hideout
NexusFi Journal Challenge - May 2024
Feedback and Announcements
MC PL editor upgrade
MultiCharts
Trade idea based off three indicators.
Traders Hideout

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Spoo-nalysis ES e-mini futures S&P 500
41 thanks
Just another trading journal: PA, Wyckoff & Trends
30 thanks
Tao te Trade: way of the WLD
24 thanks
Bigger Wins or Fewer Losses?
23 thanks
GFIs1 1 DAX trade per day journal
21 thanks

forgiven 
Fletcher NC
Market Wizard

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: nijia trader
Broker: A.M.P. I.Q. ....C.Q.G.
Trading: ym es
Frequency: Every few days
Duration: Days
Thanks Given: 287
Thanks Received: 580

Big Mike View Post
Is this enough to stop the bleeding? Avoid a collapse?

yes , as far as the run on the banks by depositor's are concerned . The collapse is in the bank stocks and profits . Until there is transparency in their bond portfolios , loans that are sensitive to interest rates , and the extra cost of capital the banks my have to raise there will be more bleeding .

Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
brmicha2000
Denver, CO

Thanks Given: 0
Thanks Received: 67

becker908 View Post
All you're seeing so far is just the tip of the iceberg.

Regional banks hold 70% of commercial real estate loans[you'll have to Google that, it won't let me post the link]. Guess what's happening to commercial real estate in pretty much every city in the US? It's tanking. Buildings are empty, rents will be going way down. Commercial RE loans are all adjustable. When they come due, borrowers will face a double take: the interest rate on the new loan will be significantly higher, and revenue from leases will be significantly lower. That will drive the value of the property down which will either raise the interest rate more or will make the loan not doable.

Virtually every type of loan right now is seeing default rates increase dramatically. When the perfect storm hits commercial real estate it will make 2008 look like the really good old days.

Ah, I read that article on one of the main financial websites. I guess we'll have to see what happens. Generally, if there is going to be a recession, those free websites are saying nothing fear related, and may even sound positive encouraging people to buy stocks. If the market downturn and recession is at the bottom, and right about to go back up, those websites will put in articles that will scare everyone half to death, and every hedge fund manager in the world will be on there saying the economic world is about to end. That's how I have often read when to buy into the maximum fear level, which usually turns out to be the bottom. I believe we start to see those articles when big money is buying, because they need sellers on the other side of their trades. 2018 was the worst with a myriad of super fear based articles on the day before the bottom.

Thanked by:
 zimzam 
Los Gatos, CA

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: Ninja
Broker: Optimus/Rithmic, Kinetick
Trading: CL, NQ, GC, 6E
Thanks Given: 2
Thanks Received: 4

Gentlemen – I am no authority on banking other than my advanced age and having lived in Silicon Valley for the last 45 years. I agree with what I read above, but it doesn’t go far enough.

1) The management of SVB was incompetent or, worse. Witness the burst of insider loans and stock sales. Why didn’t the regulators call this out sooner?
2) Are the regulations adequate, and the regulators asleep at the wheel? I think so.
3) The Fed moved interest rates fast – that is their purview. Any fool should have been asking about the impact. SVB waited too long to take action. They chose not to take pain early, resulting in the death of a significant Silicon Valley financial capability.
4) There are many questions about the mix of businesses chosen by SVB, and now First Republic. Is this regulated? Indeed, it can be evaluated and advised upon. Perhaps disclosed.
5) The Government took weekend action – THANK GOODNESS. Just before the Asia open!

Whose responsibility is this? Janet Yellen reversed her public proclamations several times last week. I cannot believe she should be representing our Treasury Department. America deserves MUCH better. Where is Hank Paulson when we need him?

I continue to focus on being at the mercy of politicians. I have no confidence – i.e. to quote above; We are in for a very shaky ride until we get more able and responsible people running the show.

SMCJB 
Houston TX
Legendary Market Wizard

Experience: Advanced
Platform: TT and Stellar
Broker: Advantage Futures
Trading: Primarily Energy but also a little Equities, Fixed Income, Metals and Crypto.
Frequency: Many times daily
Duration: Never
Thanks Given: 4,386
Thanks Received: 10,207

From todays Wall Street Journal Opinion Section.... (not the full article)

The FDIC’s Sweetheart Bank Deal for SVB
First Citizens scores a great deal, while the deposit insurance fund takes a $20 billion hit.

By The Editorial BoardFollow
March 27, 2023 6:35 pm ET

North Carolina-based First Citizens will acquire all of SVB’s deposits, loans and branches but leave $90 billion in securities and other assets with the FDIC. First Citizens will buy SVB’s $72 billion in loans at a sizable $16.5 billion discount and share future losses or gains with the FDIC. How sweet it is for First Citizens, whose shares rose 45.5% Monday.

The FDIC loss-share agreement is a tacit recognition that SVB’s large book of loans to unprofitable startups carries substantial credit risk. SVB’s business model involved extending low-cost credit to tech startups, many with no revenue, and getting repaid when they were acquired by larger companies, raised more private funds or floated shares publicly.

Thanked by:
richardrgayton
Fullerton California

Thanks Given: 13
Thanks Received: 16

I suspect the only way to really stop the bleeding and collapse of banks will in fact cause a recession. In order to stop the outflow of deposits towards money markets and other higher rate instruments that will in turn cause insolvencies, banks will have to pay more to depositors perhaps a lot more to keep them from leaving. Which means loan standards for businesses and households will tightened with passing along higher loan interest rates to borrowers essentially choking off economic activity. I suspect politically it is better for the Federal Reserve to have a temporary recession brought on by this than allow long term inflation which just steals from everyone but the wealthy.

Last Updated on March 28, 2023

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts