NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Discipline problems

Discussion in Psychology and Money Management

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one bwolf with 16 posts (35 thanks)
    2. looks_two AndreyyFX with 4 posts (5 thanks)
    3. looks_3 NGtrader with 4 posts (10 thanks)
    4. looks_4 SkyITL with 4 posts (7 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one Blue Eagle with 13 thanks per post
    2. looks_two OftenBonus10 with 9 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 NGtrader with 2.5 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 bwolf with 2.2 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 10,825 views
    2. thumb_up 121 thanks given
    3. group 31 followers
    1. forum 60 posts
    2. attach_file 4 attachments

Search this Thread

Discipline problems

homevesuvian
Napoli ITALY

Thanks Given: 5
Thanks Received: 6

in the short term there is almost no profit margin.
the behavioral errors are due to the speed of execution put in place by the algotraders.
For this reason, to have an advantage, I look at a diluted and less convulsive time frame

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
Increase in trading performance by 75%
The Elite Circle
Trade idea based off three indicators.
Traders Hideout
Better Renko Gaps
The Elite Circle
How to apply profiles
Traders Hideout
Exit Strategy
NinjaTrader

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Just another trading journal: PA, Wyckoff & Trends
36 thanks
Tao te Trade: way of the WLD
24 thanks
Spoo-nalysis ES e-mini futures S&P 500
20 thanks
Bigger Wins or Fewer Losses?
19 thanks
GFIs1 1 DAX trade per day journal
16 thanks

rezak 
Genova.Italy

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: TradingView
Broker: retail prop firms
Trading: setups
Thanks Given: 187
Thanks Received: 182

homevesuvian View Post
in the short term there is almost no profit margin.
the behavioral errors are due to the speed of execution put in place by the algotraders.
For this reason, to have an advantage, I look at a diluted and less convulsive time frame

There is plenty of profit margin in the short-term, just up your lot size.
There are no price behavioral errors due to algos, because there are always fucking sacks of meat behind it.

homevesuvian
Napoli ITALY

Thanks Given: 5
Thanks Received: 6

SomePsychoDude View Post
There is plenty of profit margin in the short-term, just up your lot size.
There are no price behavioral errors due to algos, because there are always fucking sacks of meat behind it.

I talk about my discretionary trading.
Personally, looking through a magnifying glass at short-term price action leads me to act impulsively.
This is when I try to trade like a scalper…that's my limit

Thanked by:

bwolf 
Los Angeles, CA

Experience: None
Platform: NT8, TOS, Tradingview, BH
Broker: Ninjatrader
Trading: ES
Thanks Given: 682
Thanks Received: 564

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

bwolf 
Los Angeles, CA

This has many far-reaching implications for active traders where discipline is concerned IMO.

You can't outsource confidence in trading decisions
 JBWTrader 
Murrays Bay

Experience: Advanced
Platform: NT*,Tradestation
Trading: ES, NQ
Frequency: Many times daily
Duration: Seconds
Thanks Given: 3,838
Thanks Received: 104

https://nypost.com/2019/06/17/can-this-electric-shock-bracelet-zap-you-out-of-bad-habits/

Can this electric shock bracelet zap you out of bad habits?

Dog trainers, prepare for a taste of your own medicine.

Similar to a shock collar for your disobedient pup, the updated Pavlok bracelet (like Pavlov. Get it?) will give the wearer a 350-volt jolt every time they cross a line.

Looking to quit smoking, reduce cookie intake or stop hitting the snooze button? Engineers at Behavioral Technology in Salt Lake City, Utah, hope their wristband will help you kick the habit.

The bossy bracelet, $200 on Amazon, delivers a zap at your command. Punish yourself enough, and you’ll feel your urges subside “within 3-5 days,” according to the manufacturer. Though the device can be programmed to shock automatically for some of your bad behaviors, such as sleeping in, those who can’t be trusted to discipline themselves can recruit a friend or family member. They can pitch in by downloading the Pavlok app — and sending a shock on your behalf.

Pavlok creators say their product — which launched in 2012 but is suddenly trending online — helps train your “reptile brain” into associating the unpleasant sensation with your preferred vice.

“Aversion therapy is Pavlovian Conditioning — associate the habit you want to stop, with a negative stimulus (like Pavlok’s shock) for a period of time, for a few days in a row,” the website reads. “Rapidly, the brain learns to associate the two stimuli together, and stops liking the habit.”

Inventor Maneesh Sethi tells ABC News that the shock won’t debilitate you, but it will give you a start. “It feels like if you were to touch a doorknob after rubbing your socks on the carpet,” he says, adding, “there’s a real power in using a little bit of pain to help you break your bad habits.”

Sethi says he was inspired to create the Pavlok after suffering an addiction to social media.

“I suffered from ADHD, and found myself addicted to Facebook. I wrote a blog post where I hired someone to slap me every time I went on Facebook, and my productivity skyrocketed,” Sethi says. “On the other hand, none of my many fitness trackers motivated me at all. So I thought, ‘why are there so many devices tracking what I do, but not changing what I do?’ And Pavlok was born.”

Pavlok’s website touts multiple studies in praise of aversion therapy and testimonials raving of Pavlok’s success. However, LA-based psychologist Dr. Greg Cason is dubious that consumers will have the willpower to follow through with their goals.

the above is a bit tongue in cheek, however it takes a lot of focus and motivation to want to change rather than having it as a fleeting fantasy which most do... good luck ! for sure not an easy one ! best john

Thanked by:
 thw333333 
Jupiter Island, FL

Experience: Advanced
Platform: TOS
Broker: TOS
Thanks Given: 67
Thanks Received: 77

Solved by experience. Over-trading is a temptation for anyone at time, I suppose, but don't you know whether a trade is optimal or not before you take it? It seems like a gambler mentality would make a person take those non-optimal trades. It generally cures itself in short order (blown up account).

Thanked by:

bwolf 
Los Angeles, CA

thw333333 View Post
Solved by experience..

Indeed. And you have to get from A to Experience.

You can't outsource confidence in trading decisions
 acc283158 
Lakeland, FL

Experience: Beginner
Platform: Quantower
Trading: Futures
Thanks Given: 0
Thanks Received: 1

I have to commend you for identifying there is a legitimate problem in your trading. In my years of trading I found that not having a plan after a loss can result in impulsive trading. Also found that this type of behaviour would trigger on my first trade of the day, expecting it to be a winner. This would cause me to lose more since I was bigger size on my first trade. I then started to work on reducing my size for initial entry and plan a way to add accordingly if it went my way. Walked away if my setup wasn't there for a small loss.

Some impulsiveness also went away when I removed real time at the market analysis. When the market is moving is where I would be most vulnerable. Thinking I would know where the market was likely going to go, would convince me to place a trade. In the end, you plan for the market to hit a target or consolidate around an area for confirmation before taking a position.

Thanked by:
Doob
Seattle,Washington,USA

Thanks Given: 0
Thanks Received: 13

The following is an eBook - "Discipline plus Simplicity equals Success" - that I did many years ago - at first for myself - then for other traders.

Most traders might find it boring - and not worth the read - but maybe it will help some traders.

Attached Files
Elite Membership required to download: SmartSignalTrading_eBook_2.pdf
Thanked by:

Last Updated on August 8, 2023

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts