NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

What is th diff between L1 and L2, and do I need L2?

Discussion in NinjaTrader

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one NQturnal with 2 posts (9 thanks)
    2. looks_two trendisyourfriend with 2 posts (4 thanks)
    3. looks_3 bobwest with 2 posts (6 thanks)
    4. looks_4 rezak with 2 posts (2 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one artemiso with 5 thanks per post
    2. looks_two matthew28 with 5 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 NQturnal with 4.5 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 bobwest with 3 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 2,334 views
    2. thumb_up 38 thanks given
    3. group 9 followers
    1. forum 14 posts
    2. attach_file 1 attachments

Search this Thread

What is th diff between L1 and L2, and do I need L2?

NQturnal 
Moe, AU

Experience: Advanced
Platform: NinjaTrader, X-Trader
Trading: Futures, Stocks, ETFs, FX
Thanks Given: 3
Thanks Received: 23

artemiso View Post
It's an outdated terminology and I dissuade using it because of its inconsistent application and the amount of context you'll need to provide when using it in any communication.

I wouldn't say its outdated; rather is a tad more 'general' these days as opposed to the specific definitions we had 2 decades ago. From a programmatic/API implementation perspective, I do agree with your definitions table above though

For many years, L2 was 'somewhat standardised' to be 5 or 10 levels.

It was the exchanges offering more data services, and then ECN's & data providers that started changing definitions around what L2 offers (MBO, MBP), and then coining terms as L3 and more (which actually goes far deeper) which caused some minor confusion.

In simple terms:
L1 = Top of Book
L2 = Typically 5-10 levels depending on provider (in some cases i.e Rithmic, much more). MBP
L3 = All above, MBO + much more (all individual orders, messages, fill probability and fill rates, queue dynamics, rest times). Many are also now customisable, and I've used one provider that offers predictive queue analytics/capability.

Again, some providers have skewed L2 a little by merging what was traditionally L3 into the L2 space. But for the most part, the definitions above are what most industry professionals refer to and know of.

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
Bigger Wins or Fewer Losses?
Traders Hideout
Increase in trading performance by 75%
The Elite Circle
Trade idea based off three indicators.
Traders Hideout
NT7 Indicator Script Troubleshooting - Camarilla Pivots
NinjaTrader
Pivot Indicator like the old SwingTemp by Big Mike
NinjaTrader

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Just another trading journal: PA, Wyckoff & Trends
33 thanks
Tao te Trade: way of the WLD
24 thanks
My NQ Trading Journal
14 thanks
HumbleTraders next chapter
11 thanks
GFIs1 1 DAX trade per day journal
11 thanks
StcartNoc001
Singapore, Singapore

Thanks Given: 2
Thanks Received: 5

Trading off from a chart or using technical analysis with it to place entries and exits, you won't need Level 2 market data since Level 1-aka-Top of Book provided free by your brokerage firm is good enough. In case your taking the less travelled road, ie. learning Order Flow (also called Depth of Market-DOM or price ladder), then yes ... you need subscribe to Level 2 data and pay a monthly fee for it.

Thanked by:
EarlyRun
Nashville TN

Thanks Given: 0
Thanks Received: 0

While considered Order Flow, would a footprint chart just need L1, because it is only looking at actual trades and not the order book?

Sent using the NexusFi mobile app

thecrispins
Bologna, Italy

Thanks Given: 0
Thanks Received: 1

answering to earlyrun's question, all platforms i know require level 2 data in order to display a footprint chart. If you can be resourceful you may find a workaround to that, but i don't think it would be worth your time given that l2 data doesn't even cost that much

trendisyourfriend 
Quebec Canada
Market Wizard

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: NinjaTrader
Broker: AMP/CQG
Trading: ES, NQ, YM
Frequency: Daily
Duration: Minutes
Thanks Given: 4,175
Thanks Received: 6,020

thecrispins View Post
answering to earlyrun's question, all platforms i know require level 2 data in order to display a footprint chart. If you can be resourceful you may find a workaround to that, but i don't think it would be worth your time given that l2 data doesn't even cost that much

Level 2 is not required to display the footprint tool. With Ninjatrader for example, just top of the book aka L1 data is necessary. It is logical since the footprint uses executed orders not advertised orders which belong to level II data.

Thanked by:

Last Updated on February 4, 2023

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts