NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Options learning resources

Discussion in Options

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one Hulk with 5 posts (11 thanks)
    2. looks_two Symple with 5 posts (6 thanks)
    3. looks_3 AllSeeker with 2 posts (3 thanks)
    4. looks_4 Phoenixoboros with 2 posts (4 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one Hulk with 2.2 thanks per post
    2. looks_two Phoenixoboros with 2 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 AllSeeker with 1.5 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 Symple with 1.2 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 3,387 views
    2. thumb_up 25 thanks given
    3. group 9 followers
    1. forum 14 posts
    2. attach_file 1 attachments

Search this Thread

Options learning resources

Symple
Zuerich / Switzerland

Thanks Given: 1,327
Thanks Received: 2,313

Phoenixoboros View Post
No specifically asking for free stuff, it's just that I have not bothered purchasing online courses because they often just gather informations you can find for free online.
Paying for good trading education is not a problem, it's finding a good mentor/coach/education that is a problem.

So, you had a mentor?

@Phoenixoboros

Yes I had a mentor as mentioned in the post when talking with @Hulk.

Symple

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
MC PL editor upgrade
MultiCharts
NexusFi Journal Challenge - May 2024
Feedback and Announcements
How to apply profiles
Traders Hideout
Pivot Indicator like the old SwingTemp by Big Mike
NinjaTrader
NT7 Indicator Script Troubleshooting - Camarilla Pivots
NinjaTrader

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Spoo-nalysis ES e-mini futures S&P 500
41 thanks
Just another trading journal: PA, Wyckoff & Trends
30 thanks
Tao te Trade: way of the WLD
24 thanks
Bigger Wins or Fewer Losses?
23 thanks
GFIs1 1 DAX trade per day journal
21 thanks
Symple
Zuerich / Switzerland

Thanks Given: 1,327
Thanks Received: 2,313

AllSeeker View Post
Well, if you know about the greeks, then there is not much left tbh. At least from shear trading point of view.

What you will find however is that, buying and selling options are completely different ball games. They require different kind of traders/capital/strategies and even sometimes ability to throw out all your knowledge on certain trading days.

I've personally listened to "Tastytraders" for general info.

However, if you want to learn about them hard way but build solid foundation, try to build/rebuild models.

US markets and Indian markets are very different and we don't have options of futures, I only trade options on our leading indexs.

Here is a sneak a peak on my options dashboard, will not share more than that but you can certainly refer to it to understand what a through and through option trader usually keeps track of.

Untitled

@AllSeeker

Nifty is an interesting index. Many, many years ago I once received an idea from a trader in India who wanted to know more about the following "Option Hedge Strategy" on the Nifty. I modified it in the same way I have done with many other "Options Hedge Strategies" ideas in the US Futures market before they went live in trading.

Below is a screenshot from the cover sheet for this folder I created, as the analysis images of the matrix were also always included in such work to make it easy and stress-free to implement in trading. Many internal technical abbreviations to see, but this is what I understand as professional work of "Future Option Hedge Strategists". It also shows that besides the knowledge of the "Options Greeks" is much more behind it, if you are interested in this level at all, because of course I can only buy and sell an option as you can buy and sell a future.

I think that I have hereby given an insight into how I learned it and how complex the topic can really become.

Symple

Thanked by:

AllSeeker 
Mumbai, India
Legendary Pratik_4Clover

Experience: Beginner
Platform: TradingView & ZerodhaKite
Trading: NIFTY, BANKNIFTY
Frequency: Daily
Duration: Minutes
Thanks Given: 5,249
Thanks Received: 5,012

Symple View Post
@AllSeeker

Nifty is an interesting index. Many, many years ago I once received an idea from a trader in India who wanted to know more about the following "Option Hedge Strategy" on the Nifty. I modified it in the same way I have done with many other "Options Hedge Strategies" ideas in the US Futures market before they went live in trading.

Below is a screenshot from the cover sheet for this folder I created, as the analysis images of the matrix were also always included in such work to make it easy and stress-free to implement in trading. Many internal technical abbreviations to see, but this is what I understand as professional work of "Future Option Hedge Strategists". It also shows that besides the knowledge of the "Options Greeks" is much more behind it, if you are interested in this level at all, because of course I can only buy and sell an option as you can buy and sell a future.

I think that I have hereby given an insight into how I learned it and how complex the topic can really become.

Symple

I get where you are coming from and trust me I've dabbled in it. In fact one of the biggest losses in my trading history I took was from implementation of one such a strategy back in 2017, where a stock which traded a certain range for nearly 10 years gave brake out and ran for near circuit breaker two sessions in a row. It took about 70% of the account I had at the time.

Since then I decided option strategies were not really what I want to trade in, it was too high on margins and I had to be invested in for more than amount of time I'm willing to (intra). And most importantly, it requires considerable time to gain experience to dabble in "adjustments" to see it through till success.

My process is simple. I use options to my benefit but in a different ways.

Lets say I want to trade a near futures level gain but don't want to risk more than a options contracts worth amount at any time, getting myself single contract with delta near 1 sounds like a good idea than going for futures contract itself. In kind of round about way, I do end up using options for their intended purpose, that is to reduce maximum risk of futures contracts

I also use option chain data to analyze markets and what I posted above was a screen I had created myself to make it possible depending on my needs.

Its a case of being different kind of traders, like I mentioned in original post, its a different ball game. We both handle it in a different ways.

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Waryman
Philadelphia, PA

Thanks Given: 50
Thanks Received: 2

Tastytrade is an excellent resource for beginner options and the uses of the greeks and volatility.

https://learn.tastylive.com/

Thanked by:

Hulk 
Texas, USA

Experience: Advanced
Platform: TT, Custom
Trading: Futures, Spreads
Thanks Given: 731
Thanks Received: 901

Thanks @Waryman.

Most options learning resources available are for stocks and ETFs. I have never traded those and I doubt I ever will. I am too old and you know what they say about old dogs learning new tricks. I am looking to augment my strategies trading commodity futures and spreads.

Also, most information available encourages option selling pointing out the fact that most options expire worthless. Even if you are covering your short option position someway, the odds remain the same. Option sellers win a lot but the losses are much bigger than wins. That does not sit well with me. Historically, my wins have been far bigger than my losses. Most of my strategies have a win ratio around 45-60% and a profit factor in the range of 1.5-3+. I cannot see myself selling options as a primary strategy. It makes sense to me to have a short option position as a leg of a spread but not by itself.

Besides, I just started learning so what do I know. Maybe selling options on futures will make sense later.

The most useful information I found was in the books by Carley Garner. Her new book on options was very helpful. I had her other 2 books but I had skipped over the options sections and I am going through those now.

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Started this thread Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

Last Updated on January 6, 2023

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts