NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Desperate call for help, I CANT execute my discretionary trading plan no matter what

Discussion in Psychology and Money Management

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one nenuser with 32 posts (29 thanks)
    2. looks_two tigertrader with 11 posts (97 thanks)
    3. looks_3 bobwest with 8 posts (38 thanks)
    4. looks_4 syswizard with 8 posts (5 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one tigertrader with 8.8 thanks per post
    2. looks_two josh with 6.8 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 bobwest with 4.8 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 nenuser with 0.9 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 13,400 views
    2. thumb_up 289 thanks given
    3. group 32 followers
    1. forum 91 posts
    2. attach_file 26 attachments

Search this Thread

Desperate call for help, I CANT execute my discretionary trading plan no matter what

nenuser
Buenos Aires, Argentina

Thanks Given: 31
Thanks Received: 30

tigertrader View Post
OMG! Just shut the fuck up and trade!

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
NT7 Indicator Script Troubleshooting - Camarilla Pivots
NinjaTrader
REcommedations for programming help
Sierra Chart
ZombieSqueeze
Platforms and Indicators
Cheap historycal L1 data for stocks
Stocks and ETFs
MC PL editor upgrade
MultiCharts

trendisyourfriend 
Quebec Canada
Market Wizard

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: NinjaTrader
Broker: AMP/CQG
Trading: ES, NQ, YM
Frequency: Daily
Duration: Minutes
Thanks Given: 4,176
Thanks Received: 6,020

Once you have entered on your tiny trading timeframe (5 min or 1 min) just switch to the daily/weekly TF and hide your trading TF to manage your trade until your target is hit. This way you won't feel the urge to close your trade because you are seeing a small reversal bar forming on your trading TF.

Simple but effective. The daily/weekly TF will present a new perspective and this is what you need, i.e., a change of paradigm. Give it a try.

Imagination is more Powerful Than Willpower
https://www.rajeshseshadri.com/post/2017/04/02/imagination-is-more-powerful-than-willpower

Here is another perspective from Lance Beggs:
http://ww1.yourtradingcoach.com/trading-process-and-strategy/impulse-against-your-trade-should-you-hold-or-scratch/?usid=16&utid=32512637571

Thanked by:
 Bonem4nWalkin 
Phoenix Arizona United States

Platform: Ninjatrader, ThinkOrSwim
Trading: Options, Futures
Thanks Given: 12
Thanks Received: 19

best to think of this in simple terms, if you cant follow your rules, you are trading too big.

your ability to sit in a trade is inversely correlated with your perceived level of risk.

Perception of risk is something that comes from the amygdala a part of your brain that has evolved to prevent you from getting eaten by a lion. You cant talk your way into a different risk appetite if subconsciously you are not ok with it.

you can change this with consistent exposure and incromental scaling. The more you see your system work, the more you will trust it and the less you will feel the need to break rules.

josh 
Georgia, US
Legendary Market Wizard

Experience: None
Platform: SC
Broker: Denali+Rithmic
Trading: ES, NQ, YM
Thanks Given: 6,779
Thanks Received: 18,246

nenuser View Post
Chart below with entries:

Are these entries you took?
If not, and these are hypothetical entries, how did you determine them? Real time, or after having seen the chart?

nenuser
Buenos Aires, Argentina

josh View Post
Are these entries you took?
If not, and these are hypothetical entries, how did you determine them? Real time, or after having seen the chart?

I took those, half of them I cut short. Half I could hold to target this time. Doing the faster chart seems to be helping. This are real time, I saw them live. Hindsight has its place, but at this point in the game I prefer only marking things which I saw live and my guts told me they were signals.

This is the M5 chart with the setups

I didnt trade the M5 until the later arrow today but the m1 chart. I had the m5 up all day, as I used it for context too.

This is the M1. This is all I do.

I judge many things as to why a signal bar is a signal bar

By the way, magnets above: 3914.5 ; 3929

Thanked by:
nenuser
Buenos Aires, Argentina

I dont have screenshots before the fact for all trades taken, I posted a couple

This was my morning chart, SPX.

Before:

After:

Thats 8:47 AM eastern

Same thing yesterday:

I know how to read the chart. I dont know how to trade. I see the things daily. It's not luck. You can imagine why I am desperate, I see, I see, yet I can't profit off it.

Thanked by:

Hulk 
Texas, USA

Experience: Advanced
Platform: TT, Custom
Trading: Futures, Spreads
Thanks Given: 731
Thanks Received: 901

nenuser View Post
I know how to read the chart. I dont know how to trade. I see the things daily. It's not luck. You can imagine why I am desperate, I see, I see, yet I can't profit off it.

Thats the difference between knowing the path and walking it and the only way to bridge that difference is to start walking one step at a time like @tigertrader said. Have enough money in your account to last at least a few losing months. Anticipate the losses, they will happen because you wont follow your plan. Make it part of your plan, whatever works for you. Dont get frustrated when you are unable to follow through. Dont change the plan after a string of losses. Realize that its a process that you have to go through and in time you will get over it.

If it helps, you want to be able to lift 200lbs, 10 times a day, every single day but your muscles are not that strong. What do you do? You start with 20lbs and gradually increase the weight as your muscles strengthen. Your brain is also a muscle. It cannot handle the risk that you are taking. So, as others have said, trade micros to lower the risk and then gradually add size when you start winning consistently. Dont rush this process but it is absolutely important to take the risk, however little it is.

Take any profession - professional athlete, surgeon, carpenter, handyman etc. Getting good at anything requires time and persistence.

The greatest, most valuable and differentiating ability of a trader is the ability to take risk and handle his emotions during the process. And this is the most difficult ability to develop. No one takes up trading and immediately starts making money.

Keep at it, keep trading and you will get there.

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
 Arch 
W.Coast, USA.

Platform: Anything
Trading: Emini
Thanks Given: 106
Thanks Received: 381

You're scared and emotional when trading, and are using this thread as emotional support and crutch. You will go nowhere whining on an online forum. Trading is something you plan ahead of time and execute without overthinking when live.

Thanked by:

tigertrader 
Philly, Pa
Legendary Market Wizard

Experience: Master
Platform: NinjaTrader
Trading: ES, ZB
Thanks Given: 6,662
Thanks Received: 36,258

When I first started trading on the floor, I was somewhat like you, but not quite. I was very risk adverse, because it was in my DNA. My parents were immigrants from Eastern Europe and were very hard working, and by necessity, they were very conservative with their money. Taking risk did not come naturally to me. As a market maker on the floor, this was not necessarily prohibitive to one’s profitability, but it was most certainly inhibitive.

I would take pride in the fact that I could go months without a losing day, never experiencing a losing week, or a losing month. And, while I was making a very comfortable low 6 figure income, there were others making mid six figures and seven figure incomes. I was never jealous or envious of them, because they deserved to reap the rewards of taking the extra risk.

Nevertheless, I knew I was capable of more! And, I knew for a fact that some of the guys who were making big money were not smarter than me; but instead had more balls than me. So, what was the catalyst for change? What was the epiphany I experienced that enabled me to take my foot off the bag? It’s not as complicated as you might think! I had what is euphemistically called an idiosyncratic loss. And, I sulked and got depressed, but then I still woke the next morning, and my wife and kids still loved me, and lo and behold it wasn’t the end of the world! I had broken the ice, but I didn’t fall through and drown.

That being said, you don’t want to normalize losing to the point where you are totally immune to it. But, you should be able to accept losing as a necessary prerequisite to winning.

Follow me on Twitter Reply With Quote

syswizard 
Philadelphia PA

Experience: Advanced
Platform: Multicharts
Broker: Ironbeam, Rithmic
Trading: Emini ES / NQ / CL / RTY / YM / BTC
Thanks Given: 20
Thanks Received: 146

tigertrader View Post
OMG! Just shut the fuck up and trade!

Absolutely....let's see some ACTION....as talk is cheap.

Thanked by:

Last Updated on November 19, 2022

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts