NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

FootPrintV2 Chart for NT8

Discussion in Platforms and Indicators

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one mk77ch with 41 posts (246 thanks)
    2. looks_two trymph with 29 posts (29 thanks)
    3. looks_3 brettji with 19 posts (15 thanks)
    4. looks_4 zt379 with 14 posts (11 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one mk77ch with 6 thanks per post
    2. looks_two trymph with 1 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 brettji with 0.8 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 zt379 with 0.8 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 63,481 views
    2. thumb_up 379 thanks given
    3. group 121 followers
    1. forum 194 posts
    2. attach_file 89 attachments

Search this Thread

FootPrintV2 Chart for NT8

yiman 
London

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: ninjatrader, multicharts, MT4
Broker: IB, PFG Best
Trading: 6E, EMD, TF
Thanks Given: 111
Thanks Received: 158

Cheers mike, yes refering to numbers at bottom of chart panel. The text based boxes as you staed

Thanked by:

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
Better Renko Gaps
The Elite Circle
The space time continuum and the dynamics of a financial …
Emini and Emicro Index
Exit Strategy
NinjaTrader
NexusFi Journal Challenge - April 2024
Feedback and Announcements
ZombieSqueeze
Platforms and Indicators

mk77ch 
Switzerland

Experience: Advanced
Platform: NinjaTrader
Broker: Dorman
Trading: Currency Futures, ES
Thanks Given: 27
Thanks Received: 347

Yes i'm thinking about adding some rows for delta, volume and cumulative delta but i don't know yet when i find the time to do it.

All the best,
Mike

yiman View Post
Cheers mike, yes refering to numbers at bottom of chart panel. The text based boxes as you staed

I never lose. I either win or learn.
Nelson Mandela
Started this thread Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
 Tangotx 
Houston, TX

Platform: Sierra Chart
Trading: ES/RTY
Thanks Given: 15
Thanks Received: 44

I wonder why Ninja can have a footprint that does not require tick replay but all others need it. Mike's footprint is excellent, the only problem is with Ninja itself which starts lagging just about with any indicator requiring tick replay.

Follow me on Twitter Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

mk77ch 
Switzerland

NinjaTrader does it with a BarsType instead of an indicator.
The BarsType has access to the last bid and ask price but i guess it needs a lot of custom programming and some indepth knowledge of undocumented NT internal functions.

I'm running the indicator on a Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Tablet with an i5 and 8GB of Ram and don't run into performance issues with 2 days of 1 minute data.
So maybe it's another indicator which also uses tick replay or just the sum of it causing the issues.

All the best,
Mike

Tangotx View Post
I wonder why Ninja can have a footprint that does not require tick replay but all others need it. Mike's footprint is excellent, the only problem is with Ninja itself which starts lagging just about with any indicator requiring tick replay.

Nelson Mandela
Thanked by:
 Tangotx 
Houston, TX

Thanks for the explanation Mike. I should clarify that the lagging problem with Ninja is generally when the market moves quickly such as the open, news, or the close.

mk77ch View Post
NinjaTrader does it with a BarsType instead of an indicator.
The BarsType has access to the last bid and ask price but i guess it needs a lot of custom programming and some indepth knowledge of undocumented NT internal functions.

I'm running the indicator on a Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Tablet with an i5 and 8GB of Ram and don't run into performance issues with 2 days of 1 minute data.
So maybe it's another indicator which also uses tick replay or just the sum of it causing the issues.

All the best,
Mike

Thanked by:

mk77ch 
Switzerland

Are you using non-time based bars?
Most of the calculation is done when a new bar is created.

All the best,
Mike

Tangotx View Post
Thanks for the explanation Mike. I should clarify that the lagging problem with Ninja is generally when the market moves quickly such as the open, news, or the close.

Nelson Mandela
Thanked by:
 Tangotx 
Houston, TX

Yes, generally using range bars.

Thanked by:
 Tangotx 
Houston, TX

I wanted to add a follow up to my post about NT8's lag. In another thread (I can't take credit for it) I found something I did not know about how to determine indicators' utilization. Here is what to do: In NT Control Center select New > NinjaScript Output > Right Mouse Click in the NinjaScript Output Window > select NinjaScript Utilization Monitor. According to the post, an Indicator should not exceed Chart Style (Candlestick or Bar or whatever you use) in Total Time (ms).

It was an eye opener. Bottom line, Mike's FootPringV2 (which requires tick replay) has a lower utilization than Ninja's own Volumetric chart (which does not require tick replay).

I have to send a big congrats to Mike for achieving such a feat. I should know because I own some commercial indicators with horrible utilization.

On a related subject, my wish list for Mike's indicator is:

1. Increase the thickness of the delta outline so it's more clearly seen on the screen.
2. Add rows for at least volume and delta bar statistic at the bottom of the chart.

Thanks Mike for unselfishly sharing your indicator.

mk77ch 
Switzerland

Thank you for your reply.
As a programmer i'm usually aware of performance issues and try to optimize things as good as possible but as my knowledge of C# is pretty much limited to coding for NT, there is always room to improve.
NT8 uses Direct2D for its Drawings and Direct2D is rendered on the GPU (DirectX).
That's also the reason that it usually performs badly in virtual desktops like VirtualBox which has no direct access to the GPU and uses Software rendering.
Here is a thread about it: https://forum.ninjatrader.com/forum/ninjatrader-8/platform-technical-support-aa/99708-nt8-laggy-in-a-virtual-machine

About your wishlist:

1. Is on my ToDo-List ;-)
2. Rows for Volume, Delta and Cumulative Delta have been added.

All the best,
Mike

Tangotx View Post
I wanted to add a follow up to my post about NT8's lag. In another thread (I can't take credit for it) I found something I did not know about how to determine indicators' utilization. Here is what to do: In NT Control Center select New > NinjaScript Output > Right Mouse Click in the NinjaScript Output Window > select NinjaScript Utilization Monitor. According to the post, an Indicator should not exceed Chart Style (Candlestick or Bar or whatever you use) in Total Time (ms).

It was an eye opener. Bottom line, Mike's FootPringV2 (which requires tick replay) has a lower utilization than Ninja's own Volumetric chart (which does not require tick replay).

I have to send a big congrats to Mike for achieving such a feat. I should know because I own some commercial indicators with horrible utilization.

On a related subject, my wish list for Mike's indicator is:

1. Increase the thickness of the delta outline so it's more clearly seen on the screen.
2. Add rows for at least volume and delta bar statistic at the bottom of the chart.

Thanks Mike for unselfishly sharing your indicator.

Nelson Mandela
Thanked by:
 Tangotx 
Houston, TX

Thanks Mike!

mk77ch View Post
Thank you for your reply.
As a programmer i'm usually aware of performance issues and try to optimize things as good as possible but as my knowledge of C# is pretty much limited to coding for NT, there is always room to improve.
NT8 uses Direct2D for its Drawings and Direct2D is rendered on the GPU (DirectX).
That's also the reason that it usually performs badly in virtual desktops like VirtualBox which has no direct access to the GPU and uses Software rendering.
Here is a thread about it: https://forum.ninjatrader.com/forum/ninjatrader-8/platform-technical-support-aa/99708-nt8-laggy-in-a-virtual-machine

About your wishlist:

1. Is on my ToDo-List ;-)
2. Rows for Volume, Delta and Cumulative Delta have been added.

All the best,
Mike

Thanked by:

Last Updated on March 13, 2024

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts