NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Do I need a better computer?

Discussion in NinjaTrader

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one Touchups with 7 posts (2 thanks)
    2. looks_two redbarntrades with 5 posts (4 thanks)
    3. looks_3 bobwest with 3 posts (8 thanks)
    4. looks_4 syswizard with 3 posts (4 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one Fat Tails with 6 thanks per post
    2. looks_two phantomtrader with 5.5 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 bobwest with 2.7 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 syswizard with 1.3 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 14,060 views
    2. thumb_up 65 thanks given
    3. group 568 followers
    1. forum 75 posts
    2. attach_file 6 attachments

Search this Thread

Do I need a better computer?

Salmon15
Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Thanks Given: 0
Thanks Received: 0

You definitely need a new computer. NT is not the problem

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
REcommedations for programming help
Sierra Chart
NT7 Indicator Script Troubleshooting - Camarilla Pivots
NinjaTrader
Trade idea based off three indicators.
Traders Hideout
Better Renko Gaps
The Elite Circle
MC PL editor upgrade
MultiCharts

Trader Frog
Phoenix, Arizona

Unfortunately I had to switch platforms because their prices were not in synch with other platforms that I use, and the rest of them were all in synch. Daniels Trading has a really fast platform without any delays as well as Tradovate (same people designed it). Both are no bull futures platforms. Daniels has the options as well. Think or Swim has more features to offer and sometimes may be ever so slightly slowed down but also could be from internet during high volatility times. Still a great platform.

Fat Tails 
Berlin, Europe
Market Wizard

Experience: Advanced
Platform: NinjaTrader, MultiCharts
Broker: Interactive Brokers
Trading: Keyboard
Thanks Given: 4,242
Thanks Received: 27,103

Touchups View Post
Hello. My NT8 lags horribly on charts. Everything starts and operates great for a few minutes, then it begins to lag. As you move the crosshair around, it "jitters". When you click on something, there is a second delay. Driving me crazy. I have tried a lot of the suggestions from NT forums, but doesn't seem to help. Restarting helps for a few minutes. It gets really bad if I don't restart everyday. Here are my specs attached
. Thanks

You just gave us information about the device, not about the strategy/indicators that you have used. However, the likely culprit - with a probability of > 99% - is not the device, but the strategy.

Device Specifications:

- CPU: Most important for running backtests, best use a PC with a passmark (cpubenchmark.net) of 15000+.
- Video adapter: Take a cheap one, NinjaTrader only uses 2D graphics. Video adapter should have 1 GB of VRAM per monitor (standard resolution, not talking about 30 inch monitors).
- Hard disk: NinjaTrader stores data in lots of little files. You need a SSD which has faster access times than a conventional, rotating hard disk.
- RAM: For NinjaTrader I would recommend at least 16 GByte of RAM (depending on the data streams used by your strategy).

Looking at your PC, it comes with an old 4th generation Intel processor from 2014 with a passmark of 7,233. Not good, but sufficient for running an orderly coded strategy live.

Strategy:

You mentioned that you are running 20 inbuilt indicators. Typically, that many indicators do not make sense. The number of indicators that should be used is a question of degrees freedom. If you use 20 indicators, you would need 20 different sources of data. Otherwise, you will just create redundancies. I have seen strategies with 10 indicators, all calculated from price. Indicators are typically high pass filters (oscillators) or low pass filters (moving averages). You may use one or two of each of them. Then you may use volume data, bid and ask data and market indices, options data (VIX) and sentiment data. If you use all available data, you will end up with a maximum of 8-10 indicators.

To summarize, it is more than likely that the problem stems from the strategy code or the data streams loaded by the strategy. As you did not give any information on your strategy no one will be able to help you.

Just a funny idea: Do you run anything like dropbox or OneDrive in the background synchronizing the NinjaTrader folder with a remote backup? This would also cause havoc and kill any strategies running live.

crw128 
Sydney Australia

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: NinjaTrader
Broker: NinjaTrader
Trading: Emini ES
Thanks Given: 5
Thanks Received: 6

I had a similar problem with NT8, almost similar computer specifications. The cross-hair was jittery, mouse clicks were delayed, not a great deal of charts and indicators were loaded and not much else running on the computer. I had recently installed the latest version of NT. The problem was fixed by uninstalling the latest version of NT and reinstalling the previous version.

Nextrader13 
Madrid Spain

Platform: Ninja trader ProRealTime
Broker: IB
Trading: Stocks
Thanks Given: 1
Thanks Received: 6

You should consider buying a pc. Yours might be 7 or years old. You will love the moment you turn your new pc and open your chart with no lag. Most that you can trade without the fear of missing a trade or not being able to trade at all. Mine is 6 years old and started giving me problems just before the summer. I daytrade and last Tuesday my platform froze during a trade. It took me 2 minutes to restart it. It felt like a week. If my trade went south, I would probably lost half the prize of a new pc. Of course I had my broker app on my cellphone to avoid that. My hidden stops are on my pc not on my broker so if loose internet my stops are gone. I’m buying a new one next week. That is my advise. Any pc now runs 100x faster than yours or mine. It’s worth you time and $. Plus avoiding those horrible moment happening while trading.
Best regards.

Touchups View Post
Hello. My NT8 lags horribly on charts. Everything starts and operates great for a few minutes, then it begins to lag. As you move the crosshair around, it "jitters". When you click on something, there is a second delay. Driving me crazy. I have tried a lot of the suggestions from NT forums, but doesn't seem to help. Restarting helps for a few minutes. It gets really bad if I don't restart everyday. Here are my specs attached
. Thanks

Follow me on Twitter Reply With Quote
 TraderNinja63 
Alpharetta, GA

Platform: NinjaTrader
Trading: Emini, Crude, Gold, Currency Futures
Frequency: Daily
Duration: Minutes
Thanks Received: 1

Chart speed suffers only if I am using ToS also running on the same computer, otherwise, I have Daily(12 Charts), 60 Min(12 Charts), 15 Min(12 Charts). Ninja works ok for me
I have Bartimer, 1 EMA, 1 Inbuilt indicator, and 1 Third party indicator.
I have to say, it has not been as fast as it used to be last year, I am thinking of lesser charts as I do not use all of them

If you have Anti Virus programs or VPN, it will slow down the computer

TitoRober2021
Asuncion, Paraguay

Thanks Given: 3
Thanks Received: 1

Hi!
Did you try a remote server?
Regards,
TR

Arthur85
Kuala Lumpur

Thanks Given: 8
Thanks Received: 5

If it's an indicator that's causing the lag, then it may require higher spec computer. It happened to me some time ago when i was trying out new indicators, once i reinstalled my NT8, the speed returned to normal.

dataPulse 
Athens Greece

Experience: Beginner
Platform: SC
Trading: ES, NQ
Thanks Given: 16
Thanks Received: 15

It maybe that you need to get a good gpu.

But you also mentioned tick charts...
I had the same problems and the solution for me was to switch to sierra chart, never looked back after that...

Also with sierra chart I was able to have all my indicators calculate on every tick with no issues at all and no visible performance penalty.

bruny 
Whitfield

Experience: Beginner
Platform: Ninjatrader8
Trading: Gold, Commodities, Indicies, Crypto

I would have thought the PC would do it easy. I have similar specs, only on an I5 CPU (Windows 11 and previously Windows 10) and mine runs reasonably quickly. Bit off topic maybe, but my drama was using Interactive Brokers as the datafeed (only option I had as I live in Australia) and that made it dreadfully slow. Plus IB have a limit of 100 instruments you can have in a list at a time. No satisfaction from IB or NT support. In the end, I gave up on NT8 and IB and went to IG Markets using ProRealTime platform and IG as the broker. Spreads are ok, but quick, cheap and has a brilliant scanner. I have used CityIndex as a Datafeed and that was quite quick, but not daytrading at the moment. Not sure if any of that helps.

Last Updated on December 1, 2022

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts