NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Does the market know your positions?

Discussion in Psychology and Money Management

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one SMCJB with 10 posts (22 thanks)
    2. looks_two Arch with 8 posts (31 thanks)
    3. looks_3 bobwest with 6 posts (46 thanks)
    4. looks_4 brmicha2000 with 6 posts (12 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one Silver Dragon with 9.3 thanks per post
    2. looks_two bobwest with 7.7 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 Arch with 3.9 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 SMCJB with 2.2 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 15,665 views
    2. thumb_up 252 thanks given
    3. group 300 followers
    1. forum 88 posts
    2. attach_file 11 attachments

Search this Thread

Does the market know your positions?

brmicha2000
Denver, CO

Thanks Given: 0
Thanks Received: 67

lightsun47 View Post
Sorry a bit late for this point I had forgot last time.

So if the market really knows our positions, does that mean the market replays are redundant?

How?

Let's say I am trying to trade my edge in previous replays. Now you think the market would have reacted differently to 'murder' retailers trading with 10-30 lots IF they were trading then, thereby making the market replay simply useless?

I know it's a confusing question and it might be a bit directed towards replay. But still, let's hear your opinions. Thanks.

I don't think the market is nearly as smart as what I a lot people think it is. A lot of people just keep getting stopped out all the time, and lose all their money, and then, they think somehow the market is out to get them. Yes, there is order book software, and that gives some high level information about buying and selling, but large market participants couldn't care less about you or your orders. The information they has isn't perfect, and doesn't allow them to always be right. I believe that markets seem to be designed to work in a way that is contrary to how most people are taught, and the way it works is contrary to the way that people normally think. The market doesn't take out people's stop losses because it somehow knows who you are and wants to get you. When the market is in a down trend, and it pulls back and creates a resistance, when the market goes back up to that resistance, and breaks through it, a lot of buyer, (long), liquidity gets created there. People's stop losses, which are long positions, and break out traders long positions are all there to be taken. Think of very large market participants sort of as, hunters of liquidity. They are doing very large positions. If they are selling, they need buyers to take the other side, or their trades can't be filled. So, if they are selling, they would logically look for areas of high buyer liquidity. Also, I've done a lot of paper trading and real trading in index futures, and there is no difference between trading in a paper account and trading real, from my perspective. There is no one waiting to get you when you go to trading real. However, trading is difficult and most people out there lose money trying to do it. I feel like they often don't stay on paper long enough to prove that they are trading with a valid strategy. They should be able to go at least a month, but probably multiple months, showing that they can have a consistent profit curve. If anything, trading real is better, because when on paper, they simulate more slippage than what actually occurs these days. Real trading for me these days doesn't have much slippage.

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
Pivot Indicator like the old SwingTemp by Big Mike
NinjaTrader
NT7 Indicator Script Troubleshooting - Camarilla Pivots
NinjaTrader
Exit Strategy
NinjaTrader
Better Renko Gaps
The Elite Circle
Increase in trading performance by 75%
The Elite Circle

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Just another trading journal: PA, Wyckoff & Trends
27 thanks
Tao te Trade: way of the WLD
23 thanks
Diary of a simple price action trader
22 thanks
My NQ Trading Journal
14 thanks
HumbleTraders next chapter
9 thanks

bobwest 
Western Florida
Site Moderator

Experience: Advanced
Platform: Sierra Chart
Trading: ES, YM
Frequency: Several times daily
Duration: Minutes
Thanks Given: 57,424
Thanks Received: 26,276

brmicha2000 View Post
I don't think the market is nearly as smart as what I a lot people think it is. A lot of people just keep getting stopped out all the time, and lose all their money, and then, they think somehow the market is out to get them. Yes, there is order book software, and that gives some high level information about buying and selling, but large market participants couldn't care less about you or your orders. The information they has isn't perfect, and doesn't allow them to always be right. I believe that markets seem to be designed to work in a way that is contrary to how most people are taught, and the way it works is contrary to the way that people normally think. The market doesn't take out people's stop losses because it somehow knows who you are and wants to get you. When the market is in a down trend, and it pulls back and creates a resistance, when the market goes back up to that resistance, and breaks through it, a lot of buyer, (long), liquidity gets created there. People's stop losses, which are long positions, and break out traders long positions are all there to be taken. Think of very large market participants sort of as, hunters of liquidity. They are doing very large positions. If they are selling, they need buyers to take the other side, or their trades can't be filled. So, if they are selling, they would logically look for areas of high buyer liquidity. Also, I've done a lot of paper trading and real trading in index futures, and there is no difference between trading in a paper account and trading real, from my perspective. There is no one waiting to get you when you go to trading real. However, trading is difficult and most people out there lose money trying to do it. I feel like they often don't stay on paper long enough to prove that they are trading with a valid strategy. They should be able to go at least a month, but probably multiple months, showing that they can have a consistent profit curve. If anything, trading real is better, because when on paper, they simulate more slippage than what actually occurs these days. Real trading for me these days doesn't have much slippage.

I think this is pretty good.

The people who are sure the market, or some players in it, are specifically out to get them, particularly and individually, might want to read this.

It won't change the minds of anyone who is sure "they" are after them, but it's still pretty good.

Bob.

When one door closes, another opens.
-- Cervantes, Don Quixote
Thanked by:
conantrades
Rostock Germany

Thanks Given: 1
Thanks Received: 5

blackgrey45 View Post
Do you think the market knows your positions and actively trades against you? Or does the market not care about you?

I don't think the market knows your position because thats not nessecary. They just have a lot more information and are able to trade these information way more efficiently. Take for example Aladin from Black Rock. Thats the kind of thing you are messing with. If you want to outperform the market, your strategy and risk management has to be extremely accurate and you need to find a niche in the system. Thats very tuff and its the reason why over 90% loose money on exchanges.

phantomtrader 
Reno, Nevada
Legendary Market Wizard

Platform: NinjaTrader
Trading: ZN, ZB, CL
Frequency: Daily
Thanks Given: 217
Thanks Received: 985

conantrades View Post
I don't think the market knows your position because thats not nessecary. They just have a lot more information and are able to trade these information way more efficiently. Take for example Aladin from Black Rock. Thats the kind of thing you are messing with. If you want to outperform the market, your strategy and risk management has to be extremely accurate and you need to find a niche in the system. Thats very tuff and its the reason why over 90% loose money on exchanges.

What is "Aladin from Black Rock"? Thanks.

bkool 
Israel

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: ninjatrader
Thanks Given: 17
Thanks Received: 9

I have asked a good friend of mine - a really smart guy named ChatGPT):

Q:
market makers may be able to view trade operations of any participants that place orders such as buy, sell, stop, etc. My question - is it possible for the trader to hide his orders from others ?

Reply:
It is generally not possible for traders to completely hide their orders from market makers or other participants in the market. This is because orders are typically transmitted through an exchange or other trading venue, and the exchange is required to match buy and sell orders based on certain rules. As a result, other participants in the market will generally be able to see the orders that are being placed, even if they are not the intended recipient.
However, some traders may be able to partially obscure their orders by using certain strategies or techniques. For example, traders may use small order sizes or place orders at prices that are far away from the current market price in an attempt to make their orders less noticeable. They may also use algorithms or other automated tools to break up large orders into smaller pieces and execute them over a longer period of time, in an effort to reduce the impact on the market.
Overall, it is important to keep in mind that complete anonymity is not possible in financial markets, and traders should be prepared to have their orders visible to other market participants.

Thanked by:

phantomtrader 
Reno, Nevada
Legendary Market Wizard

Platform: NinjaTrader
Trading: ZN, ZB, CL
Frequency: Daily
Thanks Given: 217
Thanks Received: 985

bkool View Post

Q:
market makers may be able to view trade operations of any participants that place orders such as buy, sell, stop, etc. My question - is it possible for the trader to hide his orders from others ?

Reply:
It is generally not possible for traders to completely hide their orders from market makers or other participants in the market. This is because orders are typically transmitted through an exchange or other trading venue, and the exchange is required to match buy and sell orders based on certain rules. As a result, other participants in the market will generally be able to see the orders that are being placed, even if they are not the intended recipient.
However, some traders may be able to partially obscure their orders by using certain strategies or techniques. For example, traders may use small order sizes or place orders at prices that are far away from the current market price in an attempt to make their orders less noticeable. They may also use algorithms or other automated tools to break up large orders into smaller pieces and execute them over a longer period of time, in an effort to reduce the impact on the market.
Overall, it is important to keep in mind that complete anonymity is not possible in financial markets, and traders should be prepared to have their orders visible to other market participants.

Very clever. I was just starting to play with ChatGPT - quite an amazing tool. It will also code trading indicators and strategies from what I understand - haven't tried it yet.

Your explanation is one of the reasons I stopped using Jigsaw. I only use volumetric bars and volume delta (from ninza.co). It's practically impossible to keep up with how the orders are distributed on the DOM - order are placed, they disappear, they're broken up into smaller parts. You never know what's going on.

Thanked by:
 datahogg 
Knoxville Tennessee USA

Platform: TOS
Trading: ES, NQ, CL, /6E futures options.
Thanks Given: 135
Thanks Received: 154

phantomtrader View Post
Very clever. I was just starting to play with ChatGPT - quite an amazing tool. It will also code trading indicators and strategies from what I understand - haven't tried it yet.

Your explanation is one of the reasons I stopped using Jigsaw. I only use volumetric bars and volume delta (from ninza.co). It's practically impossible to keep up with how the orders are distributed on the DOM - order are placed, they disappear, they're broken up into smaller parts. You never know what's going on.

The only people who make money from Jigsaw and related are the ones who are selling them.

Thanked by:
Symple
Zuerich / Switzerland

Thanks Given: 1,327
Thanks Received: 2,313

phantomtrader View Post
What is "Aladin from Black Rock"? Thanks.

The AI Supercomputer That Changed The Economy - Aladdin

Symple

Thanked by:
 datahogg 
Knoxville Tennessee USA

Platform: TOS
Trading: ES, NQ, CL, /6E futures options.
Thanks Given: 135
Thanks Received: 154

Symple View Post
The AI Supercomputer That Changed The Economy - Aladdin

Symple

OK if Aladdin is so super smart , why didn't it see the risk in FTX. And why was BlackRock invested?

lightsun47
Toronto, Canada

Thanks Given: 492
Thanks Received: 296

bkool View Post

Q:

Reply:

This is possible with Bookmap.

I placed a random buy order far away in another platform from current trading price and instantly saw it in Bookmap that my order was added in the queue at the price.

Next, I cancelled that order, so it disappeared, then added again, was visible again, then cancelled again and it disappeared again.

This was to make sure someone else's orders were not mixing with me (and it can't be anyways with prices being that far).

So, in a nutshell, it is possible to see the orders usually by everyone (if they want to via techniques like this), but it is also possible to hide via icebergs. (And Bookmap can also detect and show icebergs, so again, it might be possible that any orders cannot be hidden at all).

Last Updated on January 30, 2023

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts