NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Is anything better than order flow?

Discussion in Traders Hideout

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one RickM with 10 posts (28 thanks)
    2. looks_two trymph with 10 posts (7 thanks)
    3. looks_3 Cools81 with 6 posts (3 thanks)
    4. looks_4 HiLatencyTRDR HLT with 5 posts (13 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one tigertrader with 21.5 thanks per post
    2. looks_two FuturesTrader71 with 8.5 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 RickM with 2.8 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 HiLatencyTRDR HLT with 2.6 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 30,163 views
    2. thumb_up 240 thanks given
    3. group 619 followers
    1. forum 113 posts
    2. attach_file 20 attachments

Search this Thread

Is anything better than order flow?

ApolloEleven
Mainz, Germany

Thanks Given: 32
Thanks Received: 42

natan1967 View Post
Looks like you are a beginner. In trading there isn't something better then other thing. It's all about personal preferences.

I used to be an order flow trader, didn't work for me. I trade now purely price Action. Is it better? Not necessarily. Its better for me.

Trading skills takes time, for most of us it takes years to become profitable.

My 2 cents

Absolutely agree with that. Analyzing the market is like reading or understanding a language. There are several approaches to understand the context and what happens in detail. At the end of the day we all are looking at the same stuff through different colored glasses. You can wear blue colored order flow glasses to read the market or you look through yellow indicator glasses or whatever there is, in the end we all look at the same thing. We just have to find the right fitting glasses

Thanked by:

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
How to apply profiles
Traders Hideout
ZombieSqueeze
Platforms and Indicators
Trade idea based off three indicators.
Traders Hideout
NT7 Indicator Script Troubleshooting - Camarilla Pivots
NinjaTrader
Better Renko Gaps
The Elite Circle

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Spoo-nalysis ES e-mini futures S&P 500
33 thanks
Just another trading journal: PA, Wyckoff & Trends
28 thanks
Tao te Trade: way of the WLD
23 thanks
Bigger Wins or Fewer Losses?
23 thanks
GFIs1 1 DAX trade per day journal
21 thanks
 yiman 
London

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: ninjatrader, multicharts, MT4
Broker: IB, PFG Best
Trading: 6E, EMD, TF
Thanks Given: 111
Thanks Received: 158

I started using footprint a few months ago with the free one on this site . Its the best move I made . I watched every video and website i could find. I have become more cosistent and making more money amnd spending less time trading.
Dont take my word for it Reaserch and learn all you can. You wont regret it.

Traded 1 contract for a nice

Thanked by:
 willieboy 
chesterfield mo USA

Experience: Advanced
Platform: sierra charts
Trading: es,cl,gc
Thanks Given: 2
Thanks Received: 25

Don't waste your time you will never figure out order flow

Thanked by:
redbarntrades
Kalispell=Mt./USA

Thanks Given: 354
Thanks Received: 426

Here is my accessory tool for seeing and hearing orderflow. Watch the price action and then hear and see the tempo at any given point. It's just a tool. Simple. Fits my very short term trades.

trymph 
chicago us

Platform: NinjaTrader
Broker: Ninja
Trading: Futures
Frequency: Many times daily
Duration: Minutes
Thanks Given: 15
Thanks Received: 50

yiman View Post

I started using footprint a few months ago with the free one on this site . Its the best move I made . I watched every video and website i could find. I have become more cosistent and making more money amnd spending less time trading.
Dont take my word for it Reaserch and learn all you can. You wont regret it.

Traded 1 contract for a nice

I too trade 1 lots (YM in my case; 60 ticks @ $5=$300 & $5>1lot round trip commish) Looks like that chart is Ninja(NT) which I also use for just Delta Footprint but not free and had to buy lifetime subscription. I use it with my Ensign charts that show me price along with a sub panel for oversold/overbought entries with trend or fade on the retrace........we all know trend is friend. IMHO entry is everything and NT is great from managing the position if you can keep hands off and let it do its thing; once you figured out your trailings; profit; entry stop. Problem is getting in the way of your strategy and getting stopped out B4 it moves your way. The market is insidious at sniffing out stops and playing on the old adage: 1 in the hand is better than 2 in the bush NOT!! in trading though LOL 60 (or more)ticks profit > than losses is the holy grail <g> all day long or just in the AM to start the day.

Anyway I've found Delta Footprint to be a nice partial supplement to discover supply/demand tone changes in a retrace trend fade or outright trend change. I still lean more heavily on overbought/oversold for entry BUT THEY DONT RING A BELL on the apex!! Over BOT/SOLD can grow like a tumor <g> .

Below is my NT panel for Cum Delta histogram along with a 3 period moving average in yellow and ATR in white. All I want to know from Cum Delta is IF there is supply or demand "in the weeds" for a quick reversal move in a counter trend retrace or trend trade on some type of support. Still.... picking that spot is the whole ball game to keep from getting stopped out B4 the reward...............insidious SOB algos LOL:

1EStrader 
Buckeye AZ

Experience: Beginner
Platform: ThinkorSwim
Trading: Emini ES/stocks/Options
Thanks Given: 1
Thanks Received: 3

I took a course in Order Flow from Neerav Vadera at G7FX.com. I was unfamiliar with order flow, so his course was a good introduction.
TraderDale also offers a course in order flow https://www.trader-dale.com/order-flow-indicator-and-video-course/. He also has a book about order flow that can be purchased through Amazon.

I found both courses helpful in understanding order flow, but for me, actually using the trading method has been a difficult skill to learn.

Mike

Thanked by:

phantomtrader 
Reno, Nevada
Legendary Market Wizard

Platform: NinjaTrader
Trading: ZN, ZB, CL
Frequency: Daily
Duration: Minutes
Thanks Given: 217
Thanks Received: 990

There's a lot of ways to use order flow. It depends on what you want to do. I'm a scalper so I'm looking for that type of setup. I like the volumetric bars in Ninja. If you spend some time studying the information, there's a lot to exploit. If there's a real breakout, like there was this morning on the long side, you're going to see it on the volumetric bars because the delta and volume are obvious. I also use the Ninza volume delta indicator which I think is excellent.

ES 09-22 (1 Min Volumetric) 2022_09_07 (8_09_41 AM)

csurles2010
Frankfort, Illinois

Thanks Given: 0
Thanks Received: 1

As an expert in orderflow, it's a gimmick. It's a broad term that many use in the wrong context. In the context they use, it's just a bunch of random numbers. Ask them what it means and I bet they can't give an good answer lol

Study auction theory. Check out profit with the profile by keppler. Orderflow is the what. Auction theory is the why. Auction theory is the broad term that covers what and why a market moves.

Thanked by:
redbarntrades
Kalispell=Mt./USA

Thanks Given: 354
Thanks Received: 426

Current MES PA. TickStrike showing the buyers continuing to add after the breakout. This tool suits my short term thinking.

Thanked by:
OccamsRazorTrader
Fort Myers Florida/USA

Thanks Given: 43
Thanks Received: 67

Trader709 View Post
Hi All,
Does anyone know any better way than orderflow technical analysis in financial markets ?
Thank you kindly,
Traderr

For me ....? Lots of things ............

I've developed day trading strategies that can be profitable, they are fat tailed in nature, accumulate many frequent losses and then have a huge win to make back losses and make a profit. But for me siting in front of a screen all day waiting for a 'setup' was worse then a 9 -5.

I studied long term trend following and while it seems to work well, placing 7 trades a year in a market- and giving back 40% of open trade profits frustrated me.

I developed a swing trading system that ticks my boxes. I trade a portfolio of 19 futures contracts. I benchmark my system on a spreadsheet and scrape and input data sometime around noon. I update the data with closing prices and update my buy/ sell signals daily at the market close.
I just watch the market all day, and watch my balance rise and fall, I just let the system play itself out, but literally do nothing until I start scraping .........

Order flow seems trendy (maybe just the term not the process) , I grimace when I see YouTube pop ups- that doesn't mean it can't be exploited for a time, until it's arbitraged away, just not for me.....

Last Updated on September 12, 2023

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts