NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Is anything better than order flow?

Discussion in Traders Hideout

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one RickM with 10 posts (28 thanks)
    2. looks_two trymph with 10 posts (7 thanks)
    3. looks_3 Cools81 with 6 posts (3 thanks)
    4. looks_4 HiLatencyTRDR HLT with 5 posts (13 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one tigertrader with 21.5 thanks per post
    2. looks_two FuturesTrader71 with 8.5 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 RickM with 2.8 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 HiLatencyTRDR HLT with 2.6 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 29,316 views
    2. thumb_up 240 thanks given
    3. group 619 followers
    1. forum 113 posts
    2. attach_file 20 attachments

Is anything better than order flow?

HiLatencyTRDR HLT 
Midway florida

What is this fascination or rather infatuation with order flow?!

Time frame of your trades and the size of your own trades changes the order flow.
Order flow in real time in an electronic exchange is doing you zero as far as I'm concerned with the mkts. It is just one more set of noise.

Focus in my opinion would be better spent looking at time and sales and previous prints in a latent space in order to possibly find an edge for the future direction.

Up is up and down is down that is my order flow.

Seems to me anyone teaching the virtues of order flow could not make order flow
Work for them or they would not be teaching.

Jigsaw is far from any type of holy grail unless you created built and profit from creating a new way to visualize big data which is all they did.

Fancy and blurry bubbles of different sizes may be more fun and interesting than candles and bars on a chart and if that helps you then good for you, but anyone saying
Order flow for retail human eyes or even auto populated spread sheets for an at home computer has real value then I say question the value of that person.

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
Build trailing stop for micro index(s)
Psychology and Money Management
The space time continuum and the dynamics of a financial …
Emini and Emicro Index
New Micros: Ultra 10-Year & Ultra T-Bond -- Live Now
Treasury Notes and Bonds
NexusFi Journal Challenge - April 2024
Feedback and Announcements
Futures True Range Report
The Elite Circle

Cools81
Melbourne, Australia

Thanks Given: 12
Thanks Received: 21

RickM View Post
Hi mwf2220

The imbalance starts in the DOM then will be present in the delta 10 seconds to 1 minute later. I believe we need to follow the imbalance on the DOM if recent data shows little signs of being absorbed. In other words, I want to see imbalance on the DOM producing imbalance on the delta levels by the end of each 1 minute candle.

Cheers

Hey fellow aussie!!
Love your thioughts. Are you watching imbalance on tick charts/DOM and targetting 2-5 ticks OR watching imbalances into floor/ceilings like this?

USA close session just gone. I enjoy this way the best I think. Each to their own this game. I tried scalping but its too fast for my small brain LOL. I am enjoying this way. Any thoiughts greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Financialstudent
Duluth GA

Thanks Given: 0
Thanks Received: 2

Hi, this is excellent! I appreciate the narrative you posted on the chart, clearly showing absorption and how it plays out!

Thanked by:

forgiven 
Fletcher NC
Market Wizard

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: nijia trader
Broker: A.M.P. I.Q. ....C.Q.G.
Trading: ym es
Frequency: Every few days
Duration: Days
Thanks Given: 287
Thanks Received: 580

order flow gives me a head Ak . swing trading is less stressful and time consuming . using a stop of one days ATR with a profit target of one weeks ATR is a much simpler process . it also cuts a lot of expenses of trading , special data and software , news feeds , commissions , slippage , over trading , not being able to execute your trading plan ect. ect . it cuts the time element , looking a a screen day and night , searching for endless information , endless preparation and documentation , you have a more normal life . i know how to use order flow , its not that . i traded the ES ever day for 5 years . just an alliterative view . hope it helps

Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal

Cools81
Melbourne, Australia

Financialstudent View Post
Hi, this is excellent! I appreciate the narrative you posted on the chart, clearly showing absorption and how it plays out!

Cheers mate!
Heres US close that just happened. It was a lot of fun. missed imbalance move but still got many moves. even the failures make $. imo understanding volume, deltas, auctions vs weak liquidity is the key. But hey each to their own. 5:1 minimum today. 10:1 if you got them all and managed properly with full focus. incredible. happy trading!

Financialstudent
Duluth GA

Thanks Received: 2

Cools81 : Is that ninja? What are those white lines on volume and cumulative delta? Is that an indicator?

Looks very nice

Thanked by:

Cools81
Melbourne, Australia

Financialstudent View Post
Cools81 : Is that ninja? What are those white lines on volume and cumulative delta? Is that an indicator?

Looks very nice

Thanks.
Its just Sierra Charts. Pretty standard.
No, the white lines Ive just drawn those to show the exh/abs/hvn of deltas/volume.
LOL just realised my delta on that chart is wrong. Should be Volume not Trades.

natan1967 
Ramat Gan

Experience: Advanced
Platform: Ninja
Trading: Emini ES
Thanks Received: 26

Trader709 View Post
Hi All,
Does anyone know any better way than orderflow technical analysis in financial markets ?
Thank you kindly,
Traderr

Looks like you are a beginner. In trading there isn't something better then other thing. It's all about personal preferences.

I used to be an order flow trader, didn't work for me. I trade now purely price Action. Is it better? Not necessarily. Its better for me.

Trading skills takes time, for most of us it takes years to become profitable.

My 2 cents

Thanked by:

zkchyo 
Taiwan

Experience: Advanced
Platform: Sierra Chart
Broker: AMP
Trading: ES
Thanks Given: 1
Thanks Received: 4

I used to trade with volume profile, footprint chart and cumulative delta. Now, I just trade with price action. Order flow gives me high win rate but price action gives me better RR and bigger profit.

Thanked by:

llmflyfisher
Corpus Christi TX

Thanks Given: 35

I like to keep an eye on the volume profile for clues relative to where price is in each individual auction; and have started looking at 15 minute bar ends for testing areas that show supply and demand areas to trade against. Remember that algos move probably 90% of the trade volume so try to determine via patterns and the above where to best place risk.

Order flow (I think) is an extremely nuanced and technical approach to trading, making it probably even more difficult than using technical analysis on price charts. But then I started trading almost 40 years ago before there was any of this stuff even available so I had to learn to do with what I had. Looking at bar end testing on 30 min and 15 min bars can really tell a trader a lot about supply and demand zones. Combine that with a good volume profile set to session start and end, will be a simple and robust way to approach proper risk placement.

Thanked by:

Last Updated on September 12, 2023

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts