NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Bot Trading - MCL Futures

Discussion in EasyLanguage Programming

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one syswizard with 30 posts (6 thanks)
    2. looks_two kevinkdog with 26 posts (27 thanks)
    3. looks_3 Hulk with 9 posts (20 thanks)
    4. looks_4 SMCJB with 9 posts (13 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one Hulk with 2.2 thanks per post
    2. looks_two FastNCurious with 1.8 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 SMCJB with 1.4 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 kevinkdog with 1 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 21,386 views
    2. thumb_up 114 thanks given
    3. group 457 followers
    1. forum 119 posts
    2. attach_file 15 attachments

Search this Thread

Bot Trading - MCL Futures

FastNCurious 
saint louis MO

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: TradeStation
Trading: NQ, ES, YM, CL, GC
Thanks Given: 95
Thanks Received: 177

I have to say from experience that @CL is one of the easiest symbols to create systems for.
I actually think that @HO is even easier. Now the question of whether you would trade them or not is up to you.
I have friends who don't want to hold over night and these systems are never easy to create and if you do you would never want to give them away for free. Just know that it can be done and most likely a single trader all by himself will not be able to come up with the idea without help. That's why I joined the strategy factory Club which @kevinkdog is the founding member.

We all have so much to give to each other but no one wants to give away for free. I like that @kevinkdog gave away a fairly simple algo here for you just to show it can be done. My recommendation is don't do this alone. Join his club and find out how to test properly and get all kinds of ideas to test from others. It has truly changed my trading life.

I will say that simple breakouts still work on crude with proper exit and entry parameters.

gftrader View Post
Curious as to whether anyone has been able to code a profitable trading bot specifically for CL or MCL futures? I have been working to accomplish this, and wanted to see if anyone else had a successful bot they were willing to share. Appreciate it!

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
Futures True Range Report
The Elite Circle
NexusFi Journal Challenge - April 2024
Feedback and Announcements
New Micros: Ultra 10-Year & Ultra T-Bond -- Live Now
Treasury Notes and Bonds
The space time continuum and the dynamics of a financial …
Emini and Emicro Index
Are there any eval firms that allow you to sink to your …
Traders Hideout

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Get funded firms 2023/2024 - Any recommendations or word …
61 thanks
Funded Trader platforms
39 thanks
NexusFi site changelog and issues/problem reporting
26 thanks
Battlestations: Show us your trading desks!
26 thanks
The Program
18 thanks
 Billiwon 
Los Angeles, California

Trading: Index futures, etc.
Thanks Given: 93
Thanks Received: 26

kevinkdog View Post
1. SetDollartrailing and SetPercentTrailing are only accurate with tick data (as part of Look Inside Bar Backtesting), so if you run backtest for more than 6 months (the TS limit for tick data history), your results will be completely and over optimistically bogus.

2. I have done a ton of research on the subject, you can find it if you look (I can't self promote and tell you where exactly to find it, but it is out there). Everyone says ATRs are the way to go. I do use them sometimes.

But Dollar values work better many times. Why? My guess is many traders think in terms of "I can lose $1500 on this trade" and not "I can lose 2.3 ATRs on this trade."

That is just my theory though.

Kevin,

Very good information.
Now that you mentioned it, I think I remember seeing that in one of your many extremely useful youtube videos.
For example: There's one called "Trading Tip - Which type of stop loss is better"

Appreciate your contributions to this forum.

~ BillW

Thanked by:

SMCJB 
Houston TX
Legendary Market Wizard

Experience: Advanced
Platform: TT and Stellar
Broker: Advantage Futures
Trading: Primarily Energy but also a little Equities, Fixed Income, Metals and Crypto.
Frequency: Many times daily
Duration: Never
Thanks Given: 4,375
Thanks Received: 10,192

Billiwon View Post
I think I remember seeing that in one of your many extremely useful youtube videos.
For example: There's one called "Trading Tip - Which type of stop loss is better"

There's the video's and then there is the Math behind the video's!

What 567,000 Backtests Taught Me ​About Algo Trading Exits

https://kjtradingsystems.com/algo-trading-exits.html

Billiwon 
Los Angeles, California

Trading: Index futures, etc.
Thanks Given: 93
Thanks Received: 26

SMCJB View Post
There's the video's and then there is the Math behind the video's!

What 567,000 Backtests Taught Me ​About Algo Trading Exits

https://kjtradingsystems.com/algo-trading-exits.html

Thanks SMCJB.

Regards, BillW

kevinkdog   is a Vendor

Thanks Given: 1,890
Thanks Received: 7,338

FastNCurious View Post
We all have so much to give to each other but no one wants to give away for free. I like that @kevinkdog gave away a fairly simple algo here for you just to show it can be done. My recommendation is don't do this alone. Join his club and find out how to test properly and get all kinds of ideas to test from others. It has truly changed my trading life.

WOW, that is really, really cool JB! I am glad I could help, but I know most of it is due to your determination. I just helped you get on track.

Hope you can join me and everyone else in Cleveland for the next event!

Follow me on Twitter Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
 n7ekg 
Plano, TX

Platform: Sierra Chart
Broker: AMP
Trading: ES, NQ, CL
Thanks Given: 22
Thanks Received: 44

Bubba1 View Post
However, humans are better at exercising judgment and understanding a situation of when and when not to trade.

An example of not trading would be an FOMC announcement when liquidity dries up on the DOM. Another example would be the pre-market reports at 07:30 central time. In other cases, the rational thing is to crank up the volume when things are working. The human's job is to set the parameters based on the market conditions and their judgment about how we should trade each day, each half hour, or perhaps each 5-minutes.

In my opinion, the best trading systems use a human and a robot(s).

With respect, sir, I disagree. In both cases, those conditions can be coded. It's been my experience that when someone says that something can't be coded, they simply haven't thought it through.

Many humans actually suck at trading, because they too often let their emotions - FOMO and greed being the two account-killers - dictate their actions. I've seen a post or two in this thread that showed the poster was a bit thin-skinned - emotion-driven people tend to not be good discretionary traders, and need machine assistance.

I know a guy who trains traders for the bank he works for. He runs them through trading drills - you see the setup, you pull the trigger. Practice enough, and trading becomes automatic, no emotions involved. Trade like a machine.

Now, take that one step further, and let the machine trade for you. This is exactly what he's done, and his algo has been making thousands per day, trading one contract on a variety of instruments.

kevinkdog   is a Vendor

Thanks Given: 1,890
Thanks Received: 7,338

Guilty! Might be why I algo trade...

Bubba1
Wichita Kansas USA

Thanks Given: 1
Thanks Received: 74

I will not take it "one step further and let the machine trade for me". As I stated, I step aside during high volatility news events when most all us street smart traders pull their orders from the deck.

I am a professional trader who is not greedy or emotion-driven. And, I am a professional coder of many systems and have a huge pile of code with a bunch of parameters.

syswizard 
Philadelphia PA

Platform: Multicharts
Broker: Ironbeam, Rithmic
Trading: Emini ES / NQ / CL / RTY / YM / BTC
Thanks Given: 20
Thanks Received: 146

Bubba1 View Post
However, humans are better at exercising judgment and understanding a situation of when and when not to trade.

In my opinion, the best trading systems use a human and a robot(s).

Indeed, Multicharts has a "confirm trade" feature that can be turned on for a signal.
It will prompt you before you make a trade.
The downside of course, is that it delays your buy/sell entry.

syswizard 
Philadelphia PA

Platform: Multicharts
Broker: Ironbeam, Rithmic
Trading: Emini ES / NQ / CL / RTY / YM / BTC
Thanks Given: 20
Thanks Received: 146

kevinkdog View Post
No optimization at all, just a guess based on my experience.

Whenever I create a parameter, I am always thinking:
Should this parameter VARY based on volatility or some other factor/measure ?
In other words make the parameter dynamic instead of fixed.

BTW: that 65 parameter....why not 60, why not 70 ?

Thanked by:

Last Updated on September 23, 2022

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts