NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Does anyone trade without charts?

Discussion in Emini and Emicro Index

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one RDCoach with 5 posts (7 thanks)
    2. looks_two OccamsRazorTrader with 5 posts (4 thanks)
    3. looks_3 Regis767 with 4 posts (5 thanks)
    4. looks_4 ES Jedi with 3 posts (3 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one bobwest with 7 thanks per post
    2. looks_two AllSeeker with 5 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 Tymbeline with 3.5 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 RDCoach with 1.4 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 9,247 views
    2. thumb_up 65 thanks given
    3. group 454 followers
    1. forum 48 posts
    2. attach_file 7 attachments

Search this Thread

Does anyone trade without charts?

ES Jedi 
Las Vegas

Experience: Master
Platform: Ninja
Broker: Ninja Trader Brokerage
Trading: Dow Futures
Thanks Given: 734
Thanks Received: 388

Thanks I’ll give it a go

Sent using the NexusFi mobile app

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Started this thread Reply With Quote

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
PowerLanguage & EasyLanguage. How to get the platfor …
EasyLanguage Programming
MC PL editor upgrade
MultiCharts
Trade idea based off three indicators.
Traders Hideout
REcommedations for programming help
Sierra Chart
Exit Strategy
NinjaTrader

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Just another trading journal: PA, Wyckoff & Trends
31 thanks
Spoo-nalysis ES e-mini futures S&P 500
28 thanks
Tao te Trade: way of the WLD
24 thanks
Bigger Wins or Fewer Losses?
20 thanks
GFIs1 1 DAX trade per day journal
17 thanks

bobwest 
Western Florida
Site Moderator

Experience: Advanced
Platform: Sierra Chart
Trading: ES, YM
Frequency: Several times daily
Duration: Minutes
Thanks Given: 57,451
Thanks Received: 26,278

Using only my own experience, I can't add much to this discussion, since I only trade with charts, and always have. I have wondered about the non-chart alternatives, and I know that there are traders who do not use them and who are successful. Maybe someday I will understand what they are doing and will change. Someday.

Which is a point I would like to make. Trading is not that easy, but there are successful traders using totally different methods. I can trade fine with charts (well, sometimes ), and I understand that there are traders in this thread who basically say that trading with charts is the wrong way to go. But that's not the case for me, sorry.

On the other hand, there are traders who do not use charts, who find the dom or order flow a clearer and truer portrayal of what is happening in the market -- or something they can utilize better -- and who do well with them. This is very interesting and it is important to know there are other ways to do things. As I said, I may find out more about them someday.

Basically, I think that anyone who is saying something like, "There is only one way to trade" is simply saying, "There is only one way that I have found to trade," and if they are making money with it, then that is what matters. But there is always more than one way. That's what makes a market.

Bob.

When one door closes, another opens.
-- Cervantes, Don Quixote
MATTERHORN
CHICAGO, IL

Thanks Given: 0
Thanks Received: 15

I think Ed Thorp or one of those guys built a chartless system where he calculates daily and weekly closes, up or down, and it tells him what orders to submit into the cash open in the morning. Completely automated and no charts.

RDCoach 
Las Vegas, NV

Platform: APEX n Sierra
Broker: Tradestation and AMPFutures
Trading: Emini Futures, Futures
Thanks Given: 4
Thanks Received: 10

Go get em!

Nasdaq1517 View Post
Thanks I’ll give it a go

Sent using the NexusFi mobile app

nguyen74 
Baton Rouge, LA - USA

Experience: None
Platform: NinjaTrader, RTrader
Trading: Emini ES, Crude CL
Thanks Given: 24
Thanks Received: 72

Trading without charts is certainly possible especially if your strategy does not depend on it. Any strategy where you trade off of levels, like ORB (Opening Range Breakout) or IB (Initial Balance), previous HLC, etc., you would not need a chart. After staring at a DOM for a while, you'll also start to see support and resistance levels as price stair steps up or down. You could also mark important levels ahead of time with a chart, formulate your trade plan with those levels, and trade those levels without a chart.

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
 RDCoach 
Las Vegas, NV

Agree with the other trader. Use charts but rely HEAVILY on S&R levels MORE. This market IS working well with those. But trust is key in trading with them. Trend, breaking levels, Time & Sales order flow and size in the moment increasing and decreasing. Charts are after the fact and late for the most part. As long as you can plan ahead with what you are using you are all set. Great trading.

Thanked by:
llmflyfisher
Corpus Christi TX

Thanks Given: 35
Thanks Received: 21

RDCoach View Post
Agree with the other trader. Use charts but rely HEAVILY on S&R levels MORE. This market IS working well with those. But trust is key in trading with them. Trend, breaking levels, Time & Sales order flow and size in the moment increasing and decreasing. Charts are after the fact and late for the most part. As long as you can plan ahead with what you are using you are all set. Great trading.

Well yes and no... Depends on how the trader uses charts I guess. If trader works off testing of bar ends, entries can get to surgical precision but man it takes balls to be able to trade like that. Starting to read how the bars are forming up in real time becomes much like reading the tape or the DOM I suspect. Every time I trade to trade off a DOM I just get all wigged out by how fast and jumpy it moves, I can't get a damned thing out of that mess personally. I wish I could though.

Really there just is no easy fool-proof method for trading intraday in real time at least none that I have been able to find. Definitely by far the hardest thing I have ever tried to do in my life bar none.

Thanked by:
 RDCoach 
Las Vegas, NV

Exactly ....don't have the BXXs But know it takes mind management. You just got into a formula one car and expecting to win the race 1st time out....practice practice practice...wins the race.....and LEVELS. Best of luck. BUT isn't this fun! Like no other business.

Thanked by:
MaxChv03
Lille+France

Thanks Given: 0
Thanks Received: 2

A lot of people just trade by the DOM, but i find it a bit hard to trade without any charts to know the context

Thanked by:

Last Updated on September 11, 2022

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts