NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Trading the Micro Contracts

Discussion in Trading Journals

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one blackgrey45 with 84 posts (50 thanks)
    2. looks_two Mik618 with 7 posts (3 thanks)
    3. looks_3 matthew28 with 3 posts (8 thanks)
    4. looks_4 lightsun47 with 2 posts (2 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one bobwest with 5 thanks per post
    2. looks_two matthew28 with 2.7 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 Sandpaddict with 1.5 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 blackgrey45 with 0.6 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 15,742 views
    2. thumb_up 83 thanks given
    3. group 12 followers
    1. forum 106 posts
    2. attach_file 45 attachments

Search this Thread

Trading the Micro Contracts

blackgrey45 
Marco Island, FL
Legendary Market Wizard

Experience: Beginner
Platform: Sierra Chart
Broker: AMP Global
Trading: MCL ES MES M6E MGC
Frequency: Several times daily
Duration: Minutes
Thanks Given: 874
Thanks Received: 908

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image_150.png
Views:	52
Size:	20.1 KB
ID:	326647  
Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Started this thread Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
Better Renko Gaps
The Elite Circle
Increase in trading performance by 75%
The Elite Circle
NT7 Indicator Script Troubleshooting - Camarilla Pivots
NinjaTrader
Pivot Indicator like the old SwingTemp by Big Mike
NinjaTrader
How to apply profiles
Traders Hideout

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Just another trading journal: PA, Wyckoff & Trends
35 thanks
Tao te Trade: way of the WLD
24 thanks
Bigger Wins or Fewer Losses?
19 thanks
GFIs1 1 DAX trade per day journal
16 thanks
Spoo-nalysis ES e-mini futures S&P 500
14 thanks
 COoneguy 
Denver Colorado USA

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: Motivewave/Optimus Flow
Broker: Optimus/ AMP/ Ironbeam
Trading: es nq
Thanks Given: 19
Thanks Received: 39

Blackgrey45,
I commend you on this trading journal. I think there are definitely some learnings here....are you looking for feedback from the peanut gallery? If not, no problem. I don't want to intrude if this is a journey you want to take solo.

All the best!

blackgrey45 
Marco Island, FL
Legendary Market Wizard

COoneguy View Post
Blackgrey45,
I commend you on this trading journal. I think there are definitely some learnings here....are you looking for feedback from the peanut gallery? If not, no problem. I don't want to intrude if this is a journey you want to take solo.

All the best!

Thank you for the response. Yes, I would like feedback! I am always willing to learn.

COoneguy 
Denver Colorado USA

Platform: Motivewave/Optimus Flow
Broker: Optimus/ AMP/ Ironbeam
Trading: es nq
Thanks Given: 19
Thanks Received: 39

Blackgrey45,
Nice job on the journal. Some things stand out that might bear some examination. First, let me say that the things I see in this journal are no doubt informed by my own experience and weaknesses. Specifically, counter-trend trading. And my comments should be taken with the understanding that we all trade differently. What follows is just my opinion. Also, your focus on controlling losses will be beneficial to you in the long run. That base...of recognizing the importance of controlling your losses....will pay big dividends once you dial in your method.

It is clear from your journal, and your description of your method, that you do well in a well-defined sideways market. You don't do so well in a strong trend. As a trader who is drawn to counter-trend trades, it is my constant battle to understand what the market is doing right now, and try to force myself to go with the trend. To not battle it. It's like stepping out in front of a fast moving bus....maybe the bus will stop and start backing up before it hits me, but probably not. With your strategy of entering counter-trend, and then hoping you can ride that trade until the end of the day, you are counting on a trend stopping and reversing for your big wins. In my opinion, it is rare to catch that top or bottom very often.

I think you mentioned at one point that your entry conditions are not very well defined. If that is true, I would suggest you work on that part of the equation. Try to find entry points on pull-backs within a trend, and then enter in the direction of the trend.

I keep detailed stats on every trade signal, whether I miss the trade or not. The stats include, entry signal, entry price, MAE (how much heat did I take after entry), MFE, what the PL would have been with different exit strategies (break of previous bar, break of swing high). This gives me an enormous amount of confidence in my strategy, and tells me what to expect as that market changes over time. From this, I know that counter trend trading is not my thing, and yet I still have to fight the urge to do it. It draws me in even when I know it doesn't work on a P&L basis.

I hope this is a bit helpful.

Thanked by:

blackgrey45 
Marco Island, FL
Legendary Market Wizard

COoneguy View Post
Blackgrey45,
Nice job on the journal. Some things stand out that might bear some examination. First, let me say that the things I see in this journal are no doubt informed by my own experience and weaknesses. Specifically, counter-trend trading. And my comments should be taken with the understanding that we all trade differently. What follows is just my opinion. Also, your focus on controlling losses will be beneficial to you in the long run. That base...of recognizing the importance of controlling your losses....will pay big dividends once you dial in your method.

It is clear from your journal, and your description of your method, that you do well in a well-defined sideways market. You don't do so well in a strong trend. As a trader who is drawn to counter-trend trades, it is my constant battle to understand what the market is doing right now, and try to force myself to go with the trend. To not battle it. It's like stepping out in front of a fast moving bus....maybe the bus will stop and start backing up before it hits me, but probably not. With your strategy of entering counter-trend, and then hoping you can ride that trade until the end of the day, you are counting on a trend stopping and reversing for your big wins. In my opinion, it is rare to catch that top or bottom very often.

I think you mentioned at one point that your entry conditions are not very well defined. If that is true, I would suggest you work on that part of the equation. Try to find entry points on pull-backs within a trend, and then enter in the direction of the trend.

I keep detailed stats on every trade signal, whether I miss the trade or not. The stats include, entry signal, entry price, MAE (how much heat did I take after entry), MFE, what the PL would have been with different exit strategies (break of previous bar, break of swing high). This gives me an enormous amount of confidence in my strategy, and tells me what to expect as that market changes over time. From this, I know that counter trend trading is not my thing, and yet I still have to fight the urge to do it. It draws me in even when I know it doesn't work on a P&L basis.

I hope this is a bit helpful.

Thank you for the thoughtful response. I am currently studying trending markets and am contemplating whether my counter-trend trading is helping me or hurting me. My guess is counter-trend trading is probably hurting me in the long run because I am on the wrong side of the trade roughly 70% of the time. I am definitely looking into it.

You are spot on, I do my best in sideways markets. I look for a range and attempt to buy the low and sell the high which allows me to get into profitable trades when the market does not trend.

I will also look into adding the data points you had mentioned to my spreadsheet.

I just can't express how interesting the futures market is to me. It is fascinating to watch the buys and sellers battle it out on the DOM all day long. I traded stocks and forex for about 10 years and moved onto futures last March. I am also so happy that I found this forum. I am trying to read as much as I can so I can turn my trading into a profitable venture.

Thanks again,
Blackgrey45

Mik618 
Poteau, OK

Platform: ToS, IB
Broker: Rithmic
Trading: SPY/QQQ options/MES, MNQ
Thanks Given: 34
Thanks Received: 30

loantelligence View Post
You want to improve your trading plan but you are not keeping track of the data correctly.....you are using a spread sheet for the facts but using 100 as the win/loss calculation is muddling the results....over 0....a win ...under 0 a loss....try that....it makes more sense with the facts....then you know what is really happening.....and can make better decisions .......I am enjoying your numbers though....and would like to see your results....

Not to mention the psychological/emotional effects of such a W/L ratio. Was wondering how you were profitable with 3/181 winning trades.

Follow me on Twitter Reply With Quote

blackgrey45 
Marco Island, FL
Legendary Market Wizard

Mik618 View Post
Not to mention the psychological/emotional effects of such a W/L ratio. Was wondering how you were profitable with 3/181 winning trades.

Hey Mik618. Yeah my win/loss ratio is extreme. This is taking its toll on me mentally. Today I get my monthly statement, so I will see how I did with my P/L. Today I took the day off from my extreme strategy and traded using a market making strategy. This resulted in many more winners. I may completely abandon my old strategy and continue with this market making type of trading. It was much easier to handle mentally. Anyways, here are my trades for the day:

Mik618 
Poteau, OK

Yeah if I trade 3 x a day I'm overtrading. Of course I have to work around a day job, and have very limited capital. But my progress is so much more stable and less stressful than ever before. You really should be honest with yourself about your w/l. You have a great system that is obviously working for you.

Thanked by:
 Mik618 
Poteau, OK

You show me yours and I'll show you mine:

Thanked by:

blackgrey45 
Marco Island, FL
Legendary Market Wizard

Starting yesterday I have been trading a new strategy. The new strategy is a market making/scalping style of trading. The win rate will be very high (>80%). I am still attempting to buy lows and sell highs for my entries. I realize that counter trend trading may not be very healthy for my account but for now I am sticking with my entry strategy. I am exiting using a limit order of 4 ticks profit. To the downside, losing trades will get exited when roughly 40 ticks have gone against me.

The market I will be focused on trading will be the MES. I may trade MCL a little. The MES is highly liquid and the tick size is very friendly for my small account. The goal is to trade the ES but this is a long way off and I will be sticking to the MES for now.

Reasons for the strategy change? The previous strategy had a 0.5% win rate. Living through roughly 200 losses for one winning trade was very difficult and unsustainable.

I will let you guys know how my new strategy performs.

Thank you for your support,

Blackgrey45

Thanked by:

Last Updated on January 13, 2023

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts