NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Considering leaving Ninjatrader behind. Alternatives for futures trading? Tradovate?

Discussion in Brokers

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one LaissezFaire with 18 posts (6 thanks)
    2. looks_two trendisyourfriend with 3 posts (8 thanks)
    3. looks_3 Blash with 2 posts (7 thanks)
    4. looks_4 wisp with 2 posts (3 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one gomi with 12 thanks per post
    2. looks_two bobwest with 6.5 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 Blash with 3.5 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 trendisyourfriend with 2.7 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 17,128 views
    2. thumb_up 101 thanks given
    3. group 28 followers
    1. forum 51 posts
    2. attach_file 5 attachments

Search this Thread

Considering leaving Ninjatrader behind. Alternatives for futures trading? Tradovate?

whuffo 
Dallas, TX USA

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: Sierra Charts
Broker: AMP
Trading: ES
Thanks Given: 10
Thanks Received: 27

I've been trialing SC for a few days and have gradually been re-creating what I've built in MultiCharts as a learning experience.

Cons:
There is indeed a learning curve. Some things are not intuitive and I would probably organize some menus differently. There are some things that should be simple that i've yet to figure out, i.e. how do i color the wick of a candlestick white without having a white outline of the body? Yeah, that's pretty trivial but still. Also it does not seem you can directly control the width of the bar and wick. Perhaps it's possible and I have not figured it out yet.

Pros:
Fast, responsive, doesn't consume a ton or resources. Super flexible and with zillions of options, hence the learning curve. With power comes complexity. I'm constantly running thru setup menus for studies and thinking "wow, that's a neat feature". I've already configured some volume profile and footprint charts with features that simply don't exist on MultiCharts. Not sure about NT because I only have the free, non-trading version without the order flow tools. But I've created some stuff on SC that looks like some paid vendor NT add-ons, so maybe those features are not in the out-of-box version of the order flow tools of NT. The online documentation is pretty good. The search feature will generally find what I've looked for. If you happen to use market internals, there are dozens of them in the SC native data feed including some that I never knew existed. There appears to be a way to run data from a chart through a built in Excel like spreadsheet and use the resulting calculations back to the chart. If it works the way I think it does, that could take the place of some custom coding. At this time, I've only read a bit about it the documentation. Experiments to come.... There are a lot of YouTube videos for SC. A fellow that runs an online trading room called The Pit has posted how he sets up his SC charts and does some pretty slick things with them. The native data feed has the option for Market By Order data that can be shown in the DOM. I'm not sure what else you can do with it but someone on YT posted how to build a Bookmap style chart for SC. I have not built that yet will will soon.

So my pros list is longer than the cons. I will probably convert to a paying customer at the end of my trial.The free trial data is delayed and no real trading is allowed. Yes, their Teton order routing is free vs $0.10 for CQG (per side) but you have to use one of the broker/FCMs that support it. I checked out some of them and the mini size commissions are comparable to AMP when the free touting is figured in but on the micros, AMP is still less expensive even when paying routing fees. I hope AMP will pickup Teton routing soon.

Thanked by:

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
REcommedations for programming help
Sierra Chart
How to apply profiles
Traders Hideout
ZombieSqueeze
Platforms and Indicators
Pivot Indicator like the old SwingTemp by Big Mike
NinjaTrader
NT7 Indicator Script Troubleshooting - Camarilla Pivots
NinjaTrader

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Spoo-nalysis ES e-mini futures S&P 500
45 thanks
Just another trading journal: PA, Wyckoff & Trends
31 thanks
Bigger Wins or Fewer Losses?
24 thanks
Tao te Trade: way of the WLD
24 thanks
GFIs1 1 DAX trade per day journal
22 thanks
 anubis 
Montevideo Uruguay

Experience: Beginner
Platform: Sierra Chart / Jigsaw
Trading: futures
Thanks Given: 18
Thanks Received: 43

If you are worried about performance you shouldn't use Tradovate, it is build on web technologies. Unless you trade on high time frames it is useless.

Sadly the only option to NinjaTrader is Sierra.

There is a gap that no one has filled yet of a performant and with good UX trading platform.

Thanked by:

Last Updated on September 3, 2022

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts