NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Anybody here trade with Rithmic?

Discussion in Traders Hideout

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one siasia with 9 posts (5 thanks)
    2. looks_two glennts with 8 posts (7 thanks)
    3. looks_3 bobwest with 6 posts (6 thanks)
    4. looks_4 tr8er with 3 posts (5 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one HiLatencyTRDR HLT with 3.5 thanks per post
    2. looks_two bobwest with 1 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 glennts with 0.9 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 siasia with 0.6 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 8,323 views
    2. thumb_up 39 thanks given
    3. group 16 followers
    1. forum 42 posts
    2. attach_file 2 attachments

Search this Thread

Anybody here trade with Rithmic?

rally7 
austin ,texas

Experience: Advanced
Platform: NT
Trading: ES
Thanks Given: 15
Thanks Received: 3

siasia View Post
Rithmic by far has the worst data feed. Constantly goes down. Their platform is annoying to use because it resets the quantity to 0 whenever it feels like it even though you have set it to a default number. Clicking a Quantity will add contracts to the previously selected quantity (WTF?!? LOL). Other than that no problems, lol. Just be prepared to lose connection on your data feed for 2+ hours, like they did today. Never seen a data feed that goes down this much. Not even sure stops will work. I was lucky enough that I flattened my trade literally right before their feed went down.

I’ve also have been using Rithmic for probably 14 years now. Very reliable. I don’t use their trading platform,just the feed. I use NinjaTrader and Photon for trading. Does Rithmic ever have issues? Yes but it’s very brief.

Sent from my iPhone using futures.io

Thanked by:

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
How to apply profiles
Traders Hideout
Pivot Indicator like the old SwingTemp by Big Mike
NinjaTrader
Trade idea based off three indicators.
Traders Hideout
REcommedations for programming help
Sierra Chart
Better Renko Gaps
The Elite Circle

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Just another trading journal: PA, Wyckoff & Trends
31 thanks
Spoo-nalysis ES e-mini futures S&P 500
28 thanks
Tao te Trade: way of the WLD
24 thanks
Bigger Wins or Fewer Losses?
20 thanks
GFIs1 1 DAX trade per day journal
17 thanks
siasia
Frisco

Thanks Given: 1
Thanks Received: 5

rally7 View Post
I’ve also have been using Rithmic for probably 14 years now. Very reliable. I don’t use their trading platform,just the feed. I use NinjaTrader and Photon for trading. Does Rithmic ever have issues? Yes but it’s very brief.

Maybe that is the reason that I've had problems with them on 3 different brokers over the years. I have used their platform and the issues always arise when either trying to connect or while connected through the platform. I have used CQG through sierra charts for many years and never had any problems. Guessing from these replies that it's the rithmic platform that has issues and not the rithmic data feed.

Thanked by:
siasia
Frisco

Mik618 View Post
Trying a new prop trading service with data feed and brokerage through Rithmic. I like the idea of placing trades through same service as data feed and platform, but it's kind of clunky. Just crashed when I tried to look back for a month's worth of data. Thankfully I didn't have a trade on. Seems hard to believe that very many people trade on this platform. Anybody here trade with Rithmic?

I've used a few different prop firms and can tell you that you should go with one that has the ability to close your positions through their own website or mobile app in case the platform like Rithmic crashes or stops connecting. Rithmic has a very primitive charting platform. The only thing I use rithmic for is the order book dom to place trades. Use something like tradingview with a $4 live data feed for charting instead. I use both tradingview and sierra charts with my personal accounts for charting. But since the prop firms usually use rithmic or ninja, I just use the rithmic dom to place trades.

Thanked by:
GeeGee
Vancouver Canada

Thanks Given: 0
Thanks Received: 3

Hello. I have traded on it for the past few months. at times they do have trouble. but it works. as they suggest always have a second source to flatten your trade which I do from my phone, I open my account and go to Dash board to do this if needed. this Friday they had a big issue and effected many users, but they did fix it asap.
Mik618 View Post
Trying a new prop trading service with data feed and brokerage through Rithmic. I like the idea of placing trades through same service as data feed and platform, but it's kind of clunky. Just crashed when I tried to look back for a month's worth of data. Thankfully I didn't have a trade on. Seems hard to believe that very many people trade on this platform. Anybody here trade with Rithmic?

Thanked by:

syswizard 
Philadelphia PA

Platform: Multicharts
Broker: Ironbeam, Rithmic
Trading: Emini ES / NQ / CL / RTY / YM / BTC
Thanks Given: 20
Thanks Received: 146

I've used Rithmic for about 1 year now. Only issue with it is the backfilling for price history...very slow compared to IQFeed.
One thing I like: they handle the futures rollover problem. So I get the "front month" automatically.
With IQFeed, you only get a rollover date posted on their website....and that date was not always accurate.

Thanked by:
 shortski 
Calgary, AB, Canada

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: Multicharts & NinjaTrader
Broker: Mirus/Zen-Fire
Trading: ES CL TF 6E
Thanks Given: 101
Thanks Received: 80

IF you have been having Rithmic data issues - read this and weep.

: Rithmic slowdown July 8, 2022

All times are US Central time on 08 Jul 2022.

Around 10:44 we began to receive reports from customers and users of our paper trading environment that traders could not get out of trades or log in.

At 11:55 we identified that programs running on a server that handles traffic between our Aurora center and our Chicago data center were unable to access additional memory.

At 14:48 we determined that that server had run out of memory and rebooted that server.

By 14:57 that machine had completed its reboot, all its programs recovered and all service was restored.

Some of our servers increase their memory consumption as the week moves from Sunday to Saturday.

Between 01 Jul and 05 Jul the volume of user traffic increased significantly.

Between the normal increase in memory usage as the week moves on and the noticeable increase in user traffic of the system, it seems that the server that handles the traffic between our Aurora data center and our Chicago data center reached its memory limit. As we generally configure our machines to have memory far in excess of its expected need, it is extremely unusual for any of our machines to ever run out of memory. Additionally the server that handles the traffic between these 2 data centers was not part of a redundant set which meant that a machine failure (out of memory is such a failure) could not be handled gracefully without an outage.

Over this coming week:

We will be increasing the amount of memory of this and other servers.

We will be watching memory consumption in real-time ready to take any of the following actions:

Reduce memory consumption of programs that show excess memory consumption (trim their excess memory usage);

Stop and start such programs if they consume excess memory quickly after they are trimmed;

Reboot the machine if its memory consumption approaches the limit of its installed memory.

We will also reconfigure our system, which may require us to purchase additional equipment, to have the traffic that moves between our Aurora and Chicago data centers transit across multiple redundant servers which will reduce or eliminate any downtime if a single server handling such traffic fails.

Rithmic Operations
[email protected]
Support : (877) 408-0008

Thanked by:

glennts 
Corpus Christi, TX / Westcliffe, CO

Platform: NinjaTrader
Broker: DDT / Rithmic / Kinetick / IQ
Trading: 6E, ES
Thanks Given: 24
Thanks Received: 1,022

shortski View Post
IF you have been having Rithmic data issues - read this and weep.

: Rithmic slowdown July 8, 2022
All times are US Central time on 08 Jul 2022.

Around 10:44 we began to receive reports from customers and users of our paper trading environment that traders could not get out of trades or log in.

"Paper trading environment" might explain why users who are not Sim trading have not experienced the same issues.

"If you don't want random outcomes, don't make random decisions."
Thanked by:

bobwest 
Western Florida
Site Moderator

Platform: Sierra Chart
Trading: ES, YM
Frequency: Several times daily
Duration: Minutes
Thanks Given: 57,451
Thanks Received: 26,278

glennts View Post
"Paper trading environment" might explain why users who are not Sim trading have not experienced the same issues.

It might, and probably does. The quote from Rithmic has the server in question down from 10:44 to 14:57, over four hours. Given how many brokers use Rithmic for their live trades, I would expect this to have been an industry-wide disaster if live trading had been involved. But I don't believe this to have been the case (anyone who knows differently, please respond.)

Still, Rithmic should not have been vulnerable to this. It is basic in production systems to have redundancy and to not have a "single point of failure," where a system can go down because one component or link in the chain fails. They do mention that they "may" purchase additional equipment to prevent this failure in the future. I assume that "may" is actually "will," or that they will otherwise eliminate this weakness using existing equipment to provide redundancy. If not, it will bite them again at some point.

Bob.

When one door closes, another opens.
-- Cervantes, Don Quixote
 shortski 
Calgary, AB, Canada

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: Multicharts & NinjaTrader
Broker: Mirus/Zen-Fire
Trading: ES CL TF 6E
Thanks Given: 101
Thanks Received: 80

What I know about Hard Drives/Severs is that they don't 'get full' all of a sudden. Their performance drops off as they get closer to capacity. I have had issues with Rithmic data for months. So have others. So if we know that (and point it out to Rithmic), then why do they need a variation of a crash to do something about a simple hardware issue?
Why be the root of all that stress for so many customers and actually bill us for the privilege?

siasia
Frisco

Rithimc Data feed down again....been down now for over 20 minutes and counting. This is the second time in less than 1 week. Anyone else having these blackouts with rithmic.
First one occurred on 7/8/22 mid day
Second one has occurred on 7/13/22 around the same time of day (11am central time)

BTW, this is on 2 different prop firms. On my personal account my broker uses CQG and never had problems with them.

Last Updated on July 14, 2022

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts