NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Anybody here trade with Rithmic?

Discussion in Traders Hideout

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one siasia with 9 posts (5 thanks)
    2. looks_two glennts with 8 posts (7 thanks)
    3. looks_3 bobwest with 6 posts (6 thanks)
    4. looks_4 tr8er with 3 posts (5 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one HiLatencyTRDR HLT with 3.5 thanks per post
    2. looks_two bobwest with 1 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 glennts with 0.9 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 siasia with 0.6 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 8,323 views
    2. thumb_up 39 thanks given
    3. group 16 followers
    1. forum 42 posts
    2. attach_file 2 attachments

Search this Thread

Anybody here trade with Rithmic?

RichSteps
Miami, FL

Thanks Given: 0
Thanks Received: 9

I tried it, I don't like it at all.

I even tried NinjaTrader - not a fan lol

I don't understand it either, but it most likely has to do with how they connect to the market + fees etc.

I am a fan of TradingView or ThinkorSwim

Thanked by:

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
How to apply profiles
Traders Hideout
REcommedations for programming help
Sierra Chart
Better Renko Gaps
The Elite Circle
MC PL editor upgrade
MultiCharts
PowerLanguage & EasyLanguage. How to get the platfor …
EasyLanguage Programming

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Spoo-nalysis ES e-mini futures S&P 500
29 thanks
Just another trading journal: PA, Wyckoff & Trends
24 thanks
Tao te Trade: way of the WLD
24 thanks
Bigger Wins or Fewer Losses?
21 thanks
GFIs1 1 DAX trade per day journal
17 thanks
 Mik618 
Poteau, OK

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: ToS, IB
Broker: Rithmic
Trading: SPY/QQQ options/MES, MNQ
Thanks Given: 34
Thanks Received: 30

RichSteps View Post
I tried it, I don't like it at all.

I even tried NinjaTrader - not a fan lol

I don't understand it either, but it most likely has to do with how they connect to the market + fees etc.

I am a fan of TradingView or ThinkorSwim

Yes, me too. But I've picked up some bad habits on their sim trading that are proving to be difficult to break using the same platform, hence the change. Plus the margin requirements, $1500 for each micro, yikes. Blew up again on amp futures account just a week or so ago. Watched my trade go farther away from me till broker took me out (was short). Price only went 2 ticks higher then fell like a stone. Down $450 instead of up $800+. Really chapped my hide.

Follow me on Twitter Reply With Quote
siasia
Frisco

Thanks Given: 1
Thanks Received: 5

Rithmic by far has the worst data feed. Constantly goes down. Their platform is annoying to use because it resets the quantity to 0 whenever it feels like it even though you have set it to a default number. Clicking a Quantity will add contracts to the previously selected quantity (WTF?!? LOL). Other than that no problems, lol. Just be prepared to lose connection on your data feed for 2+ hours, like they did today. Never seen a data feed that goes down this much. Not even sure stops will work. I was lucky enough that I flattened my trade literally right before their feed went down.

Thanked by:
 HiLatencyTRDR HLT 
Midway florida

I have used and traded live on all of the following doms and data and some combinations of both

Oec trader /gain aka refco trader
Sierra chart before Denali and after Denali
Rithmic
Cqg something client
Tradeovate platform n data ( this is cqg)
Ironbeam platform n data
Trade station did some easy language programming
Ninja trader back when I almost worked for them when they were a start up
Interactive brokers
Coinbase
Robinhood

And of course calling the trading pits my and Chicago back in the day

Fidelity
Schwab
And oh yeah Transamerica
And in college we used dial up in our dorm room to trade stocks
In 1994 and I think we use pce or someone like that but
All we did was buy adobe and other internet stocks and sit on them
Room mates dad gave him 100k he ran it up to 350k in like 6 months then gave it
All back ..yes his dad was wealthy. Mine was not.. I had never seen money like that before as a kid. My roomie is now worth around 600 million growing the family business and his own over the last 20;years but I digress.

I have traded demo on trading technology doms while using their data also

There are only a few pipes that actually connect to the trade engine. Most brokers
And even some fcms do not have their own dedicated lines to the exchange

It is vital you ask what companies pipe they are using to get to and from the exchange. I would say that in my experience cqg has the largest amount of users both big fcm and brokers firm data.

But this post needs to dig a lot deeper than just asking what platform is best!

Best at what? Colocated orders? Fastest Dom. Stability? What exactly is it that you need your platform and data to do do you need an API? Rack support? Access to foreign markets?

Please be more specific what you want or need

glennts 
Corpus Christi, TX / Westcliffe, CO

Experience: Advanced
Platform: NinjaTrader
Broker: DDT / Rithmic / Kinetick / IQ
Trading: 6E, ES
Thanks Given: 24
Thanks Received: 1,022

siasia View Post
Rithmic by far has the worst data feed. Constantly goes down. Their platform is annoying to use because it resets the quantity to 0 whenever it feels like it even though you have set it to a default number. Clicking a Quantity will add contracts to the previously selected quantity (WTF?!? LOL). Other than that no problems, lol. Just be prepared to lose connection on your data feed for 2+ hours, like they did today. Never seen a data feed that goes down this much. Not even sure stops will work. I was lucky enough that I flattened my trade literally right before their feed went down.

I've used Rithmic for over 10 yrs for order execution and have never experienced any of these problems. I do not use their charting program at all but use their Order Book Dom for order placement. Lose data connection for 2+ hours today? I cannot recall ever losing a connection to Rithmic. Not sure stops will work? Your stop orders reside on their servers and they will be executed whether or not you are connected. Your problems may not be caused by Rithmic having a problem.

"If you don't want random outcomes, don't make random decisions."
Thanked by:
siasia
Frisco

Thanks Given: 1
Thanks Received: 5

glennts View Post
I've used Rithmic for over 10 yrs for order execution and have never experienced any of these problems. I do not use their charting program at all but use their Order Book Dom for order placement. Lose data connection for 2+ hours today? I cannot recall ever losing a connection to Rithmic. Not sure stops will work? Your stop orders reside on their servers and they will be executed whether or not you are connected. Your problems may not be caused by Rithmic having a problem.

Well, it has been confirmed today that they went down. I only use their Dom and the Dom itself was not the issue, the Software would not even connect to Rithmic for anything to load. Again, confirmed by Rithmic because it was the same issue across 2 different brokers. Also, you must be special if you never had issues with Rithmic because a lot of other people have.

Thanked by:

glennts 

My mother always told me I was special so yea, maybe I am.

And again, I was on Rithmic for 11 hours starting at 03:30 Central this AM without issue while connecting from high up in Colorado. I use the basic R/Trader 17.6.1.1 and not R/TraderPro. Perhaps the problems were with lines connecting from your part of the country dropping packets and not necessarily with the Rithmic servers themselves not permitting you to connect.

Given your location, there is probably not anywhere else with a higher bandwidth pipeline requirement and assuming improvements and equipment upgrades are a constant, then what are the probabilities that fiber optical lines get swapped out, accidentally disconnected or severed by that backhoe operator streaming youtube while digging.

16 mjles from the nearest town and at 9,200' off grid and up the side of a mountain I get a price ping off the Rithmic servers of 68ms.

Thanked by:
 tr8er 
Europe
Legendary Market Wizard

Platform: TradeNavigator, BookMap
Trading: ES, CL, 6E, 6B
Thanks Given: 220
Thanks Received: 709

siasia View Post

Lol, now I trade for a while (15+) and in my opinion R is the best. Yes, yesterday their execution was down, but this can happen. Data was not down, because charting worked fine, it was the order-execution.

Thanked by:

glennts 

>> Perhaps the problems were with lines connecting from your part of the country dropping packets and not necessarily with the Rithmic servers themselves not permitting you to connect.<<

https://www.thousandeyes.com/outages/

Thanked by:
 HiLatencyTRDR HLT 
Midway florida

It looks like it was a connection issue which happens from time to time.

Did this cost you money? Always use a catastrophic stop loss if possible or event stop.

My personal opinion on Rithmic and Omni is that it is above board and top notch but it is not cheap if you trade a lot but neither is hosting massive bandwidth.

I've spoken with the owner who programs and has programming teams on numerous occasions and he is always completely honest about the product. You will be hard pressed to find any company where the owner will speak with you and listen to ideas etc.

Rithmic is a 5 out of 5 if you are asking.

You should in this electronic age perhaps have backup company to make trades. I.e. have rithmic and in a separate acct have sierra or cqg.

lastly if it were truly a trade issue you should call the fcm trade desk and get a mkt or place an order. It should be on speed dial. Make a few trades over the phone and see how slow or good the desk is..who cares if they charge you 5 bucks.

Typical Convo to trade desk.

Hi.. this is frank acct #12456
Wait for response

Can I get a mkt on Sept 22 micro sp500
Wait for response

Ok. Please sell me 4 Sept 22 micro sp500 at the mkt. Or say sell 4 Sept 22 micro sp500 at 4350 limit ..thank you

If filled ask for qty n price.

Or if frantic to exit say.

Hi acct # 123456 this is frank please flatten me out now as quickly as possible all mkt orders now please.

Last Updated on July 14, 2022

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts