NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

HumbleTrader's next chapter

Discussion in Trading Journals

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one HumbleTrader with 571 posts (1,132 thanks)
    2. looks_two richw with 8 posts (8 thanks)
    3. looks_3 tigertrader with 7 posts (13 thanks)
    4. looks_4 Harleking with 7 posts (6 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one Anagami with 2.2 thanks per post
    2. looks_two HumbleTrader with 2 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 tigertrader with 1.9 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 trendisyourfriend with 1.5 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 73,890 views
    2. thumb_up 1,234 thanks given
    3. group 40 followers
    1. forum 630 posts
    2. attach_file 290 attachments

HumbleTrader's next chapter

HumbleTrader 
Vancouver Canada
Legendary , Always learning

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: Investor RT
Broker: IB & IQ DTN
Trading: Oh what a tangled web I weave, When I want to take profits in trading
Frequency: Several times daily
Duration: Years
Thanks Given: 3,379
Thanks Received: 2,961

July 15 2023 entry.

Lots of changes since I started this journal.

1. I use Sierrachart now. Not InvestorRT and DTN.
2. I trade MES, not SPY
3. I no longer hold trades from start of the day till the end.
4. My entries are dynamic and based on EMA crossover
5. My exits are based on ATR.

--------------------

Original entry below.....

After a hiatus of 2+ years from this website, I decided to start journaling again.

I have been trading part-time and analyzing the market during this time though. I went through the usual traders' journey over the last 5 years. Excitement, dejection, euphoria, frustration etc. with no big surprises. Breakeven trader for the last 2 years but more importantly humble and respectful of Mr. Market now.

My trading style is similar to our popular @GFIs1 Dax 1 trade per day. I do have some variation with the option to scale in and out but only a little. So Scalpers can feel free to leave now. Swingers may want to stay as my eventual goal is to keep Overnight positions and possibly few days at a time to ride big trends.

My methodology evolved over the years. I will elaborate more as I go along but the essence is looking for higher probability direction intraday and use volume data to assess interest of players and identify Support/Resistance for entries/exits.

The tools of my trade are

1. Investor RT for Charting
2. DTN data
3. IB TWS brokerage
4. Tradervue for journaling
5. Investiquant for probabilities
6. Indicators - Ripster EMA, equivolume bars with vWAP and Delta.

Goal is to effectively use Support/Resistance levels for entries and exits.

I paid too much emphasis on single entry and exit points so far with all in/all out mentality. The main goal of this journal is to focus on execution and scaling.

Instrument - SPY - After trying YM and MES, decided to simplify my trading and just RTH.
Sizing - Max 200.

February 13, 2023 entry.

A. Signals

1. My signals are based purely on past statistics of 20 years and rely on 6 factors. (Momentum, trend, Gaps, Season, Vix and Overnight price action).
2. Each factor has a +2 to -2 strength grading system.
3. Final signal will be divided intro strong, weak or neutral strength.

B. Direction rules.

1. I MUST trade the direction of the signal if it's strong & not allowed to reverse direction.
2. If the signals are weak, I must still trade the same direction but allowed to reverse my bias after 1 stop loss.
3. If the signals are mixed, then I have the flexibility to choose the direction. It will be based on spotgamma's support/ resistance levels.

C Execution rules.

1. My entries must align with EMA (free indicator by ripster) crossover signal (similar to Ichymoku). I'm not allowed to fade the trend.
2. I should always enter with 50% size, ideally @ RTH open. Full position should be reached ONLY if my trade thesis is working.
3. I 'may' be allowed to add to a trade that's not working but only at pre-determined levels, decided before RTH. This 1/2 size scale will have a 'tight stop'.
4. The original entry @ RTH open must stay till the end of the day.

C. Grading

1. My results will be compared against the theoritical P&L of holding 100 SPY from RTH open to close. Baseline grade B.

2. Grade A is better than the above baseline. For instance, today I'm short 50 SPY from open today. Even it turns out to be loser, I will give myself grade A as the loss is cut by 50% due to my position sizing. In a winning trade, I have to beat the above grade, either by position size or scaling in & out.

3. Grade C is when my actual P&L is worse than the theortical passive entry as above. Even if I have a winner but make less money, it will be grade C.

4. Finally, if I break any of my rules, it's grade F. In that case P&L doesn't matter.

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Started this thread

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
Deepmoney LLM
Elite Quantitative GenAI/LLM
Futures True Range Report
The Elite Circle
Are there any eval firms that allow you to sink to your …
Traders Hideout
New Micros: Ultra 10-Year & Ultra T-Bond -- Live Now
Treasury Notes and Bonds
Better Renko Gaps
The Elite Circle

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Get funded firms 2023/2024 - Any recommendations or word …
61 thanks
Funded Trader platforms
39 thanks
NexusFi site changelog and issues/problem reporting
26 thanks
Battlestations: Show us your trading desks!
26 thanks
The Program
18 thanks

HumbleTrader 
Vancouver Canada

My trading focus is similar to Linda Raschke's 'what's the play today'. i.e. To identify the main direction of market movement intra-day and stay with it till the end of the day or the trend.

The more common way of doing this is to wait for the initial swing or 5 mins or 30 mins, find some clues and then execute. FT71 is a good example here.

However, I found myself too wrapped up in the initial market gyrations and often my pre-market prep gets muddled with poor execution. Hence I chose the less common path of entering the market @ the open. I get my signs from previous day and overnight price action.

My workflow

1. PreMarket Prep - 30 mins. Review Y-day PA and calculate the odds of bullish/bearish day playing out. Entry into tradervue.

five potential signals (Strong Bull, Weak bull, Strong Bear, weak bear, neutral)

2. Market Open - My entry size depends on the signal strength. ( 2 for strong, 1 for weak and 0 for none). Initial entry must stay till EOD. No stops! (Don't worry. My size is small and I have deep pockets. I will use Max adverse excursion data after few weeks to optimise my stop level)

3. Scaling. I can scale in only after 30 mins. Ideally to a winner but if if it's a losing position, this must be at a predetermined support level like Y-C/Y-H.

4. Must have a clear stop & target for my scaled in position. Usually 40% ATR.

5. Exit - Automatic EOD exit by IB presets. No specific target for now but will likely use 80% ATR after getting some MFE data.

6. Post Market - Import IB data to tradervue and complete my journaling.

NO change of direction of trade intraday, for now. My hope is to keep the losing day sizes small and increase the winners size and run.

My goal is to have 40 to 60% win rate with profit factor of at-least 2. (Though it may sound too ambitious I was able to achieve this for the last 2 years but few big losers held over a week ruined all the hardwork by the 65%intraday winners. Fairly typical story for breakeven traders, I understand. Hence I am changing things a bit to break bad old habits.

HumbleTrader 
Vancouver Canada

Yesterday was a good example of how well the system works. Not a very profitable day but perfect in terms of execution.

Signal was Weekly Bullish yesterday @ RTH Open.

Hence Long 1/3 size on open. (Used RIA ETF 50 instead of 1 YM micro as it's easy to close EOD in IB)

Plan was to scale in 1/3 at Y-H support and another 1/3 at Y-C.

My 1st scale @ the planned location with a tight stop and failed. My second scale in was not executed as price didn't go down to Y-C. My original 1/3 long was auto squared off @ close for a small profit.

Overall a flat day but more importantly no stress or second guessing. Despite all the wild swings and Powell etc.

After 30 to 50 days, I will look at the data to see where I can over-ride the rules (e.g. Fed day, Opex etc) or adjust parameters.

It's a new feeling compared to my shooting from the hip for the first few years of trading and I'm loving it.

Thanked by:

HumbleTrader 
Vancouver Canada

May 18 2022 Wednesday.

Probabilities favoured shorts on Gap down open.

Execution - 1/2 size short @ open. (Ideally 2/3 as signal was strong but still in the testing phase and hence my confidence in this system is still limited but growing)

Aim was to scale in 1/2 size during the rebound to Y-L once the direction was clear after 30 mins.

However, the rebound / retest Y-L never happened and any further bounces later in the day was very shallow.

Exit - as per plan - End of the day.

I had no idea that it will turn out to be a monster day but I am happy that I got that 90% albeit at half size.

Thanked by:

HumbleTrader 
Vancouver Canada

Journey of a trader - 6 stages.

I am transitioning from stage 4 to 5 ( yesterday's chart is a good example)

Thanked by:

HumbleTrader 
Vancouver Canada

Funs stats

I am going to post some stats intermittently with a focus on my past mistakes and learning points.

3% down days.

In the last 20 years, 3% down days happened more than 100 times.

However, if the market is in a strong bull market, defined by price above 20 and 200 moving averages, it happened ....... just ONCE. In a strong Bear Market, it happened more than 80 times!

Bear in mind that market has been in a Bull trend far longer than Bear trend. Impressive stats. Why is it relevant to me?

I was a permabear for the first few years of my trading and often expected a big trend down day like yesterday after a bearish start in a strong bull market. Those Shorts alone probably accounted for half of my losses!

HumbleTrader 
Vancouver Canada

Market Prep. May 19 2022 Thursday

After a big down day, probability is for a positive close the following day.

There were 80 days in the past with similar market conditions i.e 3% loss in a Bear Market. If we gap up @ open, then it's even better odds for longs but currently we are below Y-Low. It's still mildly bullish but I expect back and forth buying and selling and likely a doji like scenario.

Since it's weak Bullish stats, I will go long with 1/3 @ open and then scale in 1/3 around ONL. If we take out ONH, then I will consider adding the final 1/3.

My previous avatar would have been tempted to short expecting a follow through.

No shorting today for sure.

HumbleTrader 
Vancouver Canada

Trade going as per plan. 1/3 Long from open with exit EOD

Buyers holding ONL so far but Sellers still in-charge until we negotiate Y-L which is the current resistance.

Tried scaling in 1/3 but got out for a small loss. Will try again if new HOD is made.

-------

I have also been dabbling with gold micro futures but the stats seem less reliable compared to YM. May be it's because of the wild swings outside RTH.

I am making a public resolution to stop trading gold until I prove my consistency in YM for the next 30 days.

Though the trade from yesterday was a small loser, I was actually executing well as per my plan i.e shorting the bounce and then bailed out during the retrace if higher high made. However, currently I'm not ready to handle two markets with equal intensity.

HumbleTrader 
Vancouver Canada

May 19 2022 Summary

Followed my plan. Long @ Open and scaled in but at poor locations. I expected Bulls to be stronger and hence bough PB. If I had scaled out at Resistance levels like Y-L and Y-C, trade would have worked out better. Noting these potential optimisation to adjust my strategy after 30 days.

Slight +ve / Breakeven-ish day. My running profit explains the chop well. It also indicates scaling out targets.

P.S. My goal is to scale-in to winning position, like today. It doesn't matter if they don't work out but the aim is to not let that into a loser and hence happy with the execution.

Thanked by:

HumbleTrader 
Vancouver Canada

May 20 2022 Friday Prep

Odds favor a Lower close tomorrow.

Opex closing day bearishness stat is hard to ignore. And it's friday!

My tentative plan is short the open and scale-in @ Y-H and ONH.
Scale out targets will be Y-L and ONL. Pretty obvious stuff but it's amazing how I forget when I'm in the trade.

The main objective of this 30 day test is to decide whether to execute @ RTH open & exit @ RTH close, regardless of trend/momentum status as indicated by EMAs. Next goal is to identify targets for scaling in/out. Finally, I will decide on my stop loss and final target based on MAE MFE stats.

I define Bullish trend as 34 EMA above 50 and Bullish momentum as EMA 8 above 13. These numbers don't mean much for me. Just a visual guide.

Last Updated on March 25, 2024

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts