NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

How many day traders are profitable?

Discussion in Traders Hideout

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one Amstaff with 14 posts (12 thanks)
    2. looks_two bobwest with 8 posts (22 thanks)
    3. looks_3 chipwitch with 6 posts (15 thanks)
    4. looks_4 deaddog with 5 posts (6 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one bobwest with 2.8 thanks per post
    2. looks_two chipwitch with 2.5 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 GFIs1 with 2.3 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 Amstaff with 0.9 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 9,427 views
    2. thumb_up 95 thanks given
    3. group 12 followers
    1. forum 51 posts
    2. attach_file 1 attachments

Search this Thread

How many day traders are profitable?

Amstaff 
Queens, New York United States

bobwest View Post
For those not familiar with the idea, a "Turing test" is a conversation where one of the participants is a machine, and the test is whether anyone can tell that it is or not.

I doubt it, but it is not a completely irrelevant question.

@Amstaff, the question was asked because, in over three pages of this thread now, you have not once replied in any meaningful way to any of the questions asked of you, and have not engaged in the conversation except by repetition. People keep trying to get you to respond in some way that is relevant to the concerns of traders, but get no answers.

If you do have something to contribute, please take the opportunity to do so now. There have been plenty of topics that people have tried to address -- you could just pick one, or add whatever else you wish to say.

At this point, things have just gone around in circles, and this thread is soaking up people's attention with no discernible outcome.

If you are unwilling to respond meaningfully, this thread will simply be closed so people can move on.

Bob.

In all sincerity I’m not sure what it is then that you’re asking. I was asked by Matthew and answered Matthew what I would advise someone if I was a mentor and I replied with specificities and an example of how the futures market works and what to look for with how the largest player in the futures market (the producers) think.
Do you want a real life example? During the pandemic crude oil was selling at about $32 per barrel. I didn’t realize it at first; however when CNBC announced crude oil is at zero it dawned on me that this is about what the cost to get it out of the ground. I knew producers at this point it can’t sell below cost and I went long one contract. Sure enough CL went up. I didn’t get the low but I was profitable on that trade.
Furthermore as for being a machine I tried using different verbiage from other posts.

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
Better Renko Gaps
The Elite Circle
MC PL editor upgrade
MultiCharts
Trade idea based off three indicators.
Traders Hideout
Quant vue
Trading Reviews and Vendors
Cheap historycal L1 data for stocks
Stocks and ETFs

Amstaff 

chipwitch View Post
Anything stated in a public forum is subject to public scrutiny. If I made a false claim to someone, do you think you'd have no right to call me out on it?

I think it is fair that people ask you about specifics (again, in a public forum) whether you address them directly or not. Besides, since you never actually address to whom you are directing your answers, how are we supposed to know? Try quoting or actually @chipwitch (for example) so we know who you are addressing. Using the @ symbol before their name actually sends them an email to let the member know that someone has addressed them directly.

Thanks Chipwitch for the process, I will quote. I honestly thought it was a bit rude but when in Rome. I thought Hi Matthew was fine. If nobody is offended I’ll quote. No problem.

bobwest 
Western Florida
Site Moderator

Experience: Advanced
Platform: Sierra Chart
Trading: ES, YM
Frequency: Several times daily
Duration: Minutes
Thanks Given: 57,497
Thanks Received: 26,292

Amstaff View Post
In all sincerity I’m not sure what it is then that you’re asking. I was asked by Matthew and answered Matthew what I would advise someone if I was a mentor and I replied with specificities and an example of how the futures market works and what to look for with how the largest player in the futures market (the producers) think.
Do you want a real life example? During the pandemic crude oil was selling at about $32 per barrel. I didn’t realize it at first; however when CNBC announced crude oil is at zero it dawned on me that this is about what the cost to get it out of the ground. I knew producers at this point it can’t sell below cost and I went long one contract. Sure enough CL went up. I didn’t get the low but I was profitable on that trade.
Furthermore as for being a machine I tried using different verbiage from other posts.

Fair enough. I don't want to pressure you to respond in a way that is not natural to you or to talk about your trading in any way that you don't want to or to meet anyone else's expectations.

It's just that, in framing the initial question as you did, it seemed that you wanted to talk about the profitability of day traders, and perhaps compare it to what is available to swing trading, or something like that. I think people were looking for some such discussion.

For instance, you wrote "Furthermore every serious trader knows that time is the only factor of profit." That's hard to understand.... what does it mean, exactly? If it means that short-term trading is not profitable, well, it can be. If it means that swing trading is more profitable, well, please explain that. But I'm a serious trader, or I think of myself that way, and I have no clue what you meant.

I apologize for knocking what you were saying and how you were saying it, I just wanted you to explain things a little.

But however you want to do it is fine.

Bob.

---------------------

PS, not a criticism, just a suggestion.... Do you notice how difficult it is to read and follow the compressed one-paragraph posts you make? If you break them up by hitting the Enter key twice when you want to leave a space between your thoughts, it is much, much easier to read. The only way that I can get away with writing the long, drawn-out wordy posts I write is to break them up into smaller chunks that aren't so hard to digest. Just a friendly suggestion.

When one door closes, another opens.
-- Cervantes, Don Quixote
Thanked by:

chipwitch 
Nashville, TN

Experience: Beginner
Platform: NinjaTrader
Broker: NinjaTrader, Continuum Data
Trading: MES for now... baby steps
Thanks Given: 230
Thanks Received: 631

Amstaff View Post
Thanks Chipwitch for the process, I will quote. I honestly thought it was a bit rude but when in Rome. I thought Hi Matthew was fine. If nobody is offended I’ll quote. No problem.

I'm sorry if I came off rude. I value my time and can be very direct in what I type. I don't have time for wild claims or cute games. While one post you did indeed directly addressed Mathew, it does not negate the fact that what is said in a public space is subject to comment from the public. Also, there are at least a half dozen of your posts that do not seem to answer any particular question, address anyone in particular and in all honesty, hard to decipher. Maybe English isn't your primary language? That could explain much of the miscommunication. I'm sure I speak for everyone, if language is an issue, tell us and we will certainly be more patient.

But seriously. I'm rather new to trading. And I haven't seen anything you've said that offered me anything useful. I already know to beware of people. Being from Queens, I would expect you to be a difficult mark for a con. I don't much appreciate people telling me what I should do, well-meaning or not. I want examples. SHOW me why something might be in my best interest and I will decide whether or not I should do it. Saying "serious traders know" implies that if we don't agree with you then we aren't serious traders. I assure you... there are LOTS of serious traders here.

Perhaps, start off by re-titling the thread. "How many day traders are profitable?" Maybe you mean to address newbies. Something like, "Advice I wish I had been given when I was just starting in trading." Otherwise, your title seems to be asking for responses from profitable traders. Not exactly your intended audience I presume.

Let me ask you... how much money EACH MONTH have you averaged earning from trading? Are YOU willing to show us your brokerage account statements? Are you willing to submit to an audit?

Thanked by:

bobwest 
Western Florida
Site Moderator

@Amstaff, you meant well, but I think it is much better not to post your statements publicly, even with the identifying information removed.

This is just too public a place for that to be done, at least without giving it some thought. You would be displaying information essentially for anyone in the world to see. I would think about that.

My opinion, at least.

Bob.

Thanked by:
 Amstaff 

chipwitch View Post
I'm sorry if I came off rude. I value my time and can be very direct in what I type. I don't have time for wild claims or cute games. While one post you did indeed directly addressed Mathew, it does not negate the fact that what is said in a public space is subject to comment from the public. Also, there are at least a half dozen of your posts that do not seem to answer any particular question, address anyone in particular and in all honesty, hard to decipher. Maybe English isn't your primary language? That could explain much of the miscommunication. I'm sure I speak for everyone, if language is an issue, tell us and we will certainly be more patient.

But seriously. I'm rather new to trading. And I haven't seen anything you've said that offered me anything useful. I already know to beware of people. Being from Queens, I would expect you to be a difficult mark for a con. I don't much appreciate people telling me what I should do, well-meaning or not. I want examples. SHOW me why something might be in my best interest and I will decide whether or not I should do it. Saying "serious traders know" implies that if we don't agree with you then we aren't serious traders. I assure you... there are LOTS of serious traders here.

Perhaps, start off by re-titling the thread. "How many day traders are profitable?" Maybe you mean to address newbies. Something like, "Advice I wish I had been given when I was just starting in trading." Otherwise, your title seems to be asking for responses from profitable traders. Not exactly your intended audience I presume.

Let me ask you... how much money EACH MONTH have you averaged earning from trading? Are YOU willing to show us your brokerage account statements? Are you willing to submit to an audit?

Chipwitch, I’m am not an advisor nor do I give advice and I never claimed to be any of that. To answer your question yes I am willing to privately share with you a brokerage account. I did actually post it here and I deleted it because there were numbers attached to the file and I wasn’t sure what they were. Honestly I was a little frightened.

Amstaff 

bobwest View Post
@Amstaff, you meant well, but I think it is much better not to post your statements publicly, even with the identifying information removed.

This is just too public a place for that to be done, at least without giving it some thought. You would be displaying information essentially for anyone in the world to see. I would think about that.

My opinion, at least.

Bob.

Thanks Bob,
I greatly appreciate your patience with me and some my posts in wrong places. I’m reading other posts to see exactly what is meant by relevant. I’m trying big guy.

bobwest 
Western Florida
Site Moderator

Amstaff View Post
Chipwitch, I’m am not an advisor nor do I give advice and I never claimed to be any of that. To answer your question yes I am willing to privately share with you a brokerage account. I did actually post it here and I deleted it because there were numbers attached to the file and I wasn’t sure what they were. Honestly I was a little frightened.

Quite correctly.

I would add, that it is not necessarily wise to share copies of financial documents to anyone, anywhere, including the generally trustworthy people you meet here. Remember, you don't really know anyone you meet on a public forum.

It can be totally appropriate to discuss anything you like about your trading, and many people do show their trading results -- it's no big deal if you discuss your trades or something like that -- but I would not disclose much, if anything, about the larger picture, or your financial information.

Just a word to the wise.

Bob.

Thanked by:

bobwest 
Western Florida
Site Moderator

chipwitch View Post

In fairness, I am responsible for the thread title. @Amstaff had made a post in an unrelated thread that was off-topic, and I moved it into its own thread (it was the first post of this thread), and made a title for the thread using a phrase he had used, that I thought would create some interest.

Well, it did .

Bob.

Thanked by:

chipwitch 
Nashville, TN

Experience: Beginner
Platform: NinjaTrader
Broker: NinjaTrader, Continuum Data
Trading: MES for now... baby steps
Thanks Given: 230
Thanks Received: 631

Amstaff View Post

It's okay. Like @bobwest said... you shouldn't be sharing statements with anyone on a forum... publicly or privately. That includes me! You were right to be frightened and take it down. That you were willing to share it is far more than almost anyone is willing to.

If you are a profitable trader... I am very happy for you. Keep up the good work.

Thanked by:

Last Updated on June 13, 2022

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts