NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

How many day traders are profitable?

Discussion in Traders Hideout

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one Amstaff with 14 posts (12 thanks)
    2. looks_two bobwest with 8 posts (22 thanks)
    3. looks_3 chipwitch with 6 posts (15 thanks)
    4. looks_4 deaddog with 5 posts (6 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one bobwest with 2.8 thanks per post
    2. looks_two chipwitch with 2.5 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 GFIs1 with 2.3 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 Amstaff with 0.9 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 8,963 views
    2. thumb_up 95 thanks given
    3. group 12 followers
    1. forum 51 posts
    2. attach_file 1 attachments

Search this Thread

How many day traders are profitable?

Amstaff 
Queens, New York United States

I have a serious question for everyone. Since we only see words on a screen you obviously can’t see the sincerity or the depth of seriousness of what I’m about to ask. This is a quality trading social place where serious traders, earn a living, support families and share war stories. Now with that said; I want to ask how many day traders are profitable? I have seen the numbers and I’m in touch with the SEC. There was talk about banning day trading until the SEC did an in depth study on the effects of day trading on the market. Their conclusion was day traders affect 0% of the price. Furthermore every serious trader knows that time is the only factor of profit. Now I’m not trying to generate hate responses or stir up anyone. If however you are day trading and you are profitable: I congratulate you and I’m happy for you. If you’re not and you have said you are. Here’s what I want you to do:
First and very important sit down. Now admit your trading faults.
Second stand up and live the rest of your trading career as if you are forgiven of every unethical action.
Lastly take a deep breath and focus on time.

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
Deepmoney LLM
Elite Quantitative GenAI/LLM
NT7 Indicator Script Troubleshooting - Camarilla Pivots
NinjaTrader
Build trailing stop for micro index(s)
Psychology and Money Management
The space time continuum and the dynamics of a financial …
Emini and Emicro Index
Are there any eval firms that allow you to sink to your …
Traders Hideout

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Get funded firms 2023/2024 - Any recommendations or word …
59 thanks
Funded Trader platforms
37 thanks
GFIs1 1 DAX trade per day journal
22 thanks
NexusFi site changelog and issues/problem reporting
22 thanks
The Program
20 thanks
SunTrader
Boca Raton, FL

Thanks Given: 81
Thanks Received: 182

Amstaff View Post
I have a serious question for everyone. Since we only see words on a screen you obviously can’t see the sincerity or the depth of seriousness of what I’m about to ask. This is a quality trading social place where serious traders, earn a living, support families and share war stories. Now with that said; I want to ask how many day traders are profitable? I have seen the numbers and I’m in touch with the SEC. There was talk about banning day trading until the SEC did an in depth study on the effects of day trading on the market. Their conclusion was day traders affect 0% of the price. Furthermore every serious trader knows that time is the only factor of profit. Now I’m not trying to generate hate responses or stir up anyone. If however you are day trading and you are profitable: I congratulate you and I’m happy for you. If you’re not and you have said you are. Here’s what I want you to do:
Second stand up and live the rest of your trading career as if you are forgiven of every unethical action.

"I want to ask how many day traders are profitable?"

Sorry that is not a ... serious question.

How many here, who knows?

How many in the grand universe of day traders. Same answer.

There are all kinds of statements, (including from the SEC), that really don't cover all. But it is fair to say a very high percentage of day traders likely are losing.

Which is similar to the number of new small businesses started and failed each year.

Why should be anything different and why should it be looked at as anything different?

The majority fail so the minority can succeed. That's it.

Thanked by:

chipwitch 
Nashville, TN

Experience: Beginner
Platform: NinjaTrader
Broker: NinjaTrader, Continuum Data
Trading: MES for now... baby steps
Thanks Given: 230
Thanks Received: 631

Amstaff View Post
I have seen the numbers and I’m in touch with the SEC. There was talk about banning day trading until the SEC did an in depth study on the effects of day trading on the market.

You're in touch with the SEC? Sounds like an "appeal to authority" fallacy.
Really? While there may have been studies to see what effect daytraders have, I seriously doubt there was any consideration to a "ban" by the SEC. I would be curious to see your evidence.

Quoting 
Furthermore every serious trader knows that time is the only factor of profit.

And this sounds like a "no true Scotsman" fallacy. I'm sure you would find a lot of "serious" traders would disagree that "time is the ONLY factor of profit."

Quoting 
Now I’m not trying to generate hate responses or stir up anyone.

I don't think you have. Why would you think anything you've said here should generate hate? I think most "serious traders" are probably not so quick to experience emotional extremes with so little cause?

Quoting 
Here’s what I want you to do:

With all due respect, why would you have a desire for anyone here to "do" anything? And again, with all due respect, I don't know you so why would I just go and do something you wanted me to? I am genuinely puzzled by puzzled by your post.

Thanked by:

DavidHP 
Isla Mujeres, MX
Legendary Market Wizard

Experience: Advanced
Broker: Ninjatrader / Optimus Futures / AmpFutures
Trading: ES / 6E / 6B / CL
Frequency: Every few days
Duration: Minutes
Thanks Given: 11,328
Thanks Received: 2,743

No ill will is meant by my comments but...
You obviously are one of the traders that are not profitable.

I've been here a long time and from time to time this questions arrises.
(if you doubt this, just type "Profitable" into the search box at the top right of the page.)

These questions always come from someone looking for the 'Holy Grail' or someone that wants to show how much they really don't know about trading.

Perhaps the question you should ask is... Are you profitable?

If the answer is what I suspect...
I want you to do these things:

Amstaff View Post

LOL
Actually, those steps are nonsensical, they won't make you a better trader or a better person.

BTW, the reason I know you are not profitable is because you have been here since 2017 and are not an "Elite Member'.

If you truely want to excel in trading, that should be your first step, not the ones you asked others to do.

Rejoice in the Thunderstorms of Life . . .
Knowing it's not about Clouds or Wind. . .
But Learning to Dance in the Rain ! ! !
Follow me on Twitter Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
ondafringe
Albuquerque, NM, USA

Thanks Given: 87
Thanks Received: 117

DavidHP View Post

BTW, the reason I know you are not profitable is because you have been here since 2017 and are not an "Elite Member'.

In the running for most ridiculous statement of the year.

GFIs1 
who cares
Legendary Market Wizard

Experience: None
Platform: nobody interested
Broker: none
Trading: forget about it
Thanks Given: 6,181
Thanks Received: 15,564

@Amstaff

"Posts: 10 since Nov 2017

...and you think you are really reading this vast forum?
To give you an answer anyway: Go to fio's journal section. As you are not elite then look for the free journals. YES - there are many, even real time ones. Then read the journals from A to Z and you will see the answer(s) yourself.

No more input needed. If you are convinced, then start finally with Elite membership.
Happy reading! Don't forget to post here your conclusion.

GFIs1

Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
 Koepisch 
@ Germany

Experience: Beginner
Broker: Mirus Futures/Zen-Fire
Trading: FDAX
Thanks Given: 440
Thanks Received: 518

Hi Amstuff,

for the Forex- and CFD markets in europe there are numbers available. Per law every "Broker" is committed to show there percentage of loosing traders on their website. It's 70-80% losing traders. I think there are a low percentage number who can make a living from their skills.

Regards,
Koepisch

Symple
Zuerich / Switzerland

Thanks Given: 1,315
Thanks Received: 2,286

Brokers have been analyzing their clients for decades. Therefore, the available figures and statistics are very accurate. This has resulted in the following (Goldman Sachs):

On average, 90% of beginners lose 90% of their capital in the first 90 days of trading. That on the basis of this the day trading should be forbidden, would be new to me.

From a survey of Indian retail traders I once saw that about 75% admitted that they are not successful. If and how many of the other 25% are able to finance their life with it, was not the topic of this survey.

I personally know only a few who can finance their lives with the special knowledge in various ways (Futures, Option, Shares usw) they have built up in trading. Those who can, however, usually live very well.

Others I know make some money here and there and see this more as a side income that is then just there. For those trading is more for fun and some kind of hobby.

Symple

Anagami 
Cancun, Mexico
Legendary Market Hustler

Experience: Advanced
Trading: MES
Thanks Given: 707
Thanks Received: 2,300

Amstaff View Post

I seem to recall a fairly recent study of Brazilian FOREX traders... I think they found ONE guy who was actually making a living with it.

You are never in the wrong place... but sometimes you are in the right place looking at things in the wrong way.
Thanked by:
 Amstaff 
Queens, New York United States

Thank you Anagram, symple and Kloep
Yes the numbers don’t lie and it’s with that sincerity I asked. People here attempt to support their family trading and sadly this industry has been ravaged with bad people who take advantage of the new comers.
To answer the other comments, I have two comments:
1 yes I did begin and lost money until I paid a mentor to teach me. One of the lessons drilled in was time is the factor of profits.
2. Hostility is a sign of sexual frustration. Hope you have a nice day

Last Updated on June 13, 2022

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts