NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Trying to find my trading edge

Discussion in Trading Journals

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one zzzz2021 with 24 posts (37 thanks)
    2. looks_two Anagami with 5 posts (21 thanks)
    3. looks_3 bobwest with 3 posts (11 thanks)
    4. looks_4 matthew28 with 2 posts (8 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one AllSeeker with 4.5 thanks per post
    2. looks_two Anagami with 4.2 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 bobwest with 3.7 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 zzzz2021 with 1.5 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 5,881 views
    2. thumb_up 102 thanks given
    3. group 6 followers
    1. forum 39 posts
    2. attach_file 12 attachments

Search this Thread

Trying to find my trading edge

zzzz2021
Toronto Canada

Thanks Given: 53
Thanks Received: 90

Hi,

I'm presently using E2T's TCP combine to forward testing some strategies trading ES/NQ that I've been struggling with. This is what this journal is all about to keep track of my trading habits with an emphasis on losing trades and mistakes.

As you can see from my screenshot, I've been trading this combine from April 4th without much success passing it. Therefore, I'll document every mistake here to see if I can figure out a pattern every time when I put in a losing trade.

Thanks for reading and any comment is welcome.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TCP.png
Views:	186
Size:	64.2 KB
ID:	323948  
Thanked by:

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
NT7 Indicator Script Troubleshooting - Camarilla Pivots
NinjaTrader
Better Renko Gaps
The Elite Circle
ZombieSqueeze
Platforms and Indicators
Trade idea based off three indicators.
Traders Hideout
How to apply profiles
Traders Hideout

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Spoo-nalysis ES e-mini futures S&P 500
29 thanks
Just another trading journal: PA, Wyckoff & Trends
25 thanks
Tao te Trade: way of the WLD
24 thanks
Bigger Wins or Fewer Losses?
21 thanks
GFIs1 1 DAX trade per day journal
17 thanks
zzzz2021
Toronto Canada

Today is a 'rare' and funny day.

E2T's maintain consistency rule states that no single trading day can account for 30% or more of your total PnL. So, I had to figure out how to put in losing trades after exceeding $520 daily profit.

~$250 to go. Wish me luck and luck seems to find me after posting my journal here

TCP2

zzzz2021
Toronto Canada

One bad trade -> didn't follow entry signals rules.

tcp

matthew28 
United Kingdom
Elite_Member

Experience: Beginner
Platform: Bookmap
Broker: Stage 5, Rithmic
Trading: US Equity Index Futures
Thanks Given: 3,500
Thanks Received: 2,532

zzzz2021 View Post
One bad trade -> didn't follow entry signals rules.

1. Identify a trading problem.
2. Develop a solution.
3. Determine how I will implement the solution.
4. Measure the effectiveness of the solution.

You have identified the problem. That's where a lot of people stop as if once identified the problem will sort itself out. The hard work is the other three stages:

What solution are you going to try to make sure you follow your rules?
How will you implement that solution in real time?
How will you measure whether that solution is working?

Did you not follow your rules because for example: You were in a hurry and don't have the time to wait for the setups to come to you because you have time constraints, or the method doesn't suit your personality such as trying to enter on reversals for big moves the other way, but you can't accept the risk of loss; trying to scalp but you just aren't comfortably acting that quickly etc. and so on.
Identify one problem and solution at a time and work on that, focusing on it until you have improved. Then pick the next most important issue and begin again on that.

Just a thought. Either way, good luck with the evaluation.

You do not win as a trader, you just get to play again the next day. If that game doesn’t appeal to you then you should not trade. Gary Norden
zzzz2021
Toronto Canada

matthew28 View Post
1. Identify a trading problem.
2. Develop a solution.
3. Determine how I will implement the solution.
4. Measure the effectiveness of the solution.

You have identified the problem. That's where a lot of people stop as if once identified the problem will sort itself out. The hard work is the other three stages:

What solution are you going to try to make sure you follow your rules?
How will you implement that solution in real time?
How will you measure whether that solution is working?

Did you not follow your rules because for example: You were in a hurry and don't have the time to wait for the setups to come to you because you have time constraints, or the method doesn't suit your personality such as trying to enter on reversals for big moves the other way, but you can't accept the risk of loss; trying to scalp but you just aren't comfortably acting that quickly etc. and so on.
Identify one problem and solution at a time and work on that, focusing on it until you have improved. Then pick the next most important issue and begin again on that.

Just a thought. Either way, good luck with the evaluation.

Thanks for your excellent suggestions. Futures.io is a great forum with great people like you and Bobwest.

It's obvious that I lack the patience to wait for opportunities to come to me, like they say "patience is a virtue' in trading.

Thanked by:
zzzz2021
Toronto Canada

I hit daily stop limit this morning. Few nice setups got triggered after, but I couldn't trade. Not in a mood for anything.

TCP

zzzz2021
Toronto Canada

I'm confident that my setups work perfectly fine. I've spent considerable amount of time to back and forward testing. It's just my problem that I can't wait for perfect executions.

Back to discipline mode. Let's see how I'll improve this time.

bobwest 
Western Florida
Site Moderator

Experience: Advanced
Platform: Sierra Chart
Trading: ES, YM
Frequency: Several times daily
Duration: Minutes
Thanks Given: 57,452
Thanks Received: 26,278

zzzz2021 View Post
I'm confident that my setups work perfectly fine. I've spent considerable amount of time to back and forward testing. It's just my problem that I can't wait for perfect executions.

Back to discipline mode. Let's see how I'll improve this time.

This kind of thing is actually very common. It's one thing to test something, when there's nothing at stake and when you're not actually in the market, however you are doing the test. But once it matters, once the market is actually running live and you are faced with having to decide what to do while price is changing and when it matters, that's when all the personal issues come up.

And unfortunately, these cannot be "tested" in any way other than in actual trading. Even though your evaluation account is on sim, simulation can be real enough for your personal stuff to be triggered. Dealing with these issues is the most important thing anyone is likely to face.

Good luck. This is where the real work is done.

Bob.

When one door closes, another opens.
-- Cervantes, Don Quixote
zzzz2021
Toronto Canada

bobwest View Post
This kind of thing is actually very common. It's one thing to test something, when there's nothing at stake and when you're not actually in the market, however you are doing the test. But once it matters, once the market is actually running live and you are faced with having to decide what to do while price is changing and when it matters, that's when all the personal issues come up.

And unfortunately, these cannot be "tested" in any way other than in actual trading. Even though your evaluation account is on sim, simulation can be real enough for your personal stuff to be triggered. Dealing with these issues is the most important thing anyone is likely to face.

Good luck. This is where the real work is done.

Bob.

I totally agree to what you've said. It's difficult to avoid being emotional when many of us trade with a small account. The same goes for those combine accounts because there isn't much rooms for any error.

Thanked by:
zzzz2021
Toronto Canada

No trade today. I took a day off to rework some entry rules and to clear my mind.

tcp

Last Updated on March 15, 2023

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts