NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

TRADING COURSE or MENTOR

Discussion in Trading Reviews and Vendors

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one Analytic with 5 posts (5 thanks)
    2. looks_two SMCJB with 4 posts (8 thanks)
    3. looks_3 kevinkdog with 3 posts (23 thanks)
    4. looks_4 deaddog with 3 posts (3 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one kevinkdog with 7.7 thanks per post
    2. looks_two xplorer with 5 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 bobwest with 4.5 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 SMCJB with 2 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 10,202 views
    2. thumb_up 78 thanks given
    3. group 12 followers
    1. forum 34 posts
    2. attach_file 1 attachments

Search this Thread

TRADING COURSE or MENTOR

SMCJB 
Houston TX
Legendary Market Wizard

Experience: Advanced
Platform: TT and Stellar
Broker: Advantage Futures
Trading: Primarily Energy but also a little Equities, Fixed Income, Metals and Crypto.
Frequency: Many times daily
Duration: Never
Thanks Given: 4,384
Thanks Received: 10,206

@kunfuu247 I hear this guy is pretty good especially if you go automated ... (he's also replied to your thread at least one time and didn't promote himself)

Thanked by:

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
MC PL editor upgrade
MultiCharts
ZombieSqueeze
Platforms and Indicators
Pivot Indicator like the old SwingTemp by Big Mike
NinjaTrader
NT7 Indicator Script Troubleshooting - Camarilla Pivots
NinjaTrader
Trade idea based off three indicators.
Traders Hideout

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Just another trading journal: PA, Wyckoff & Trends
34 thanks
Tao te Trade: way of the WLD
24 thanks
Bigger Wins or Fewer Losses?
18 thanks
GFIs1 1 DAX trade per day journal
16 thanks
Vinny E-Mini & Algobox Review TRADE ROOM
13 thanks

Tymbeline 
Leeds UK
Market Wizard

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: Tradovate
Broker: Tradovate
Trading: MES, MNQ
Frequency: Several times daily
Duration: Minutes
Thanks Given: 2,347
Thanks Received: 1,057

SMCJB View Post
he's also replied to your thread at least one time and didn't promote himself

You'll never see that, from Kevin. He's here to contribute, not to promote - and we're lucky to have him here.

Thanked by:

SMCJB 
Houston TX
Legendary Market Wizard

Trading: Primarily Energy but also a little Equities, Fixed Income, Metals and Crypto.

@Tymbeline agree completely,

... unrelated, off topic and irrelevant, but I went to college at Leeds Uni! Long way away from here!

Thanked by:

mrburns 
Prague, Czechia

Platform: Sierrachart + Denali, TV
Broker: EdgeClear, IB
Trading: 6B, UB, ZN, CL, HG, GC
Thanks Given: 26
Thanks Received: 15

Discloser: I'm not involved financially or anyhow else with Compassfx.

The Compassfx holds a free session of Ray. My personal experience with Ray's teaching is only positive, he claims to be an institutional trader, and his classes prove it. I have not seen anything he teaches elsewhere.

This is an excerpt from a recent email from Kim of Compassfx:

ATTENTION: Live Trade Session & “Reading the Tape” Class Session WEDNESDAY

Happy New Year… Trade Sessions & Classes Start WEDNESDAY

You’re the BEST, thank you for being part of our group…appreciate you!

We’re kicking the year off with a Auction Theory Concepts Session with Ray.

Let’s Get Ready for 2024, “Zero to Dangerously Good” in the markets.

Live FREE Workshop with Ray

Wednesday, January 3rd 2024 at 3:00 PM EASTERN

REGISTER HERE

https://compassfx.com/auction-theory-concepts

screenshot

ZB23 
Atlanta Metro Area

Platform: Rithmic API
Broker: Ironbeam
Trading: Futures: CL spreads, IR outright.
Frequency: Never
Thanks Given: 60
Thanks Received: 198

You can't go wrong with the following criteria when selecting a course or mentor:

1. Teacher was/is a professional trader. That means he traded in the pits or traded at a firm. Nevertheless, he should be (or was) registered as a professional trader.
2. The trading school must be attached to a trading firm.
3. The teacher/school must have a demonstrated track record of success.
4. Optional (but nice to have): The teacher must have a rigorous academic background.

Now, here's the not so quite catch-22, but close enough:

1. The above narrow criteria eliminates most (if not all) of the gurus who reside in the social-media/trading education cesspool.
2. Many who meet the criteria have no interest in teaching.

Don't despair. There are a few who meet the criteria, but either their courses come with a hefty price tag, or their content is free but very disjointed.

Thanked by:

SMCJB 
Houston TX
Legendary Market Wizard

ZB23 View Post
You can't go wrong with the following criteria when selecting a course or mentor:

1. Teacher was/is a professional trader. That means he traded in the pits or traded at a firm. Nevertheless, he should be (or was) registered as a professional trader.
2. The trading school must be attached to a trading firm.
3. The teacher/school must have a demonstrated track record of success.
4. Optional (but nice to have): The teacher must have a rigorous academic background.

I was thinking
1. Almost doesn't exist
2. Not sure I agree
3. Agree
4. Not sure I agree
Then I saw

ZB23 View Post
Now, here's the not so quite catch-22, but close enough:

1. The above narrow criteria eliminates most (if not all) of the gurus who reside in the social-media/trading education cesspool.
2. Many who meet the criteria have no interest in teaching.

Which I completely agree with

ZB23 View Post
Don't despair. There are a few who meet the criteria, but either their courses come with a hefty price tag, or their content is free but very disjointed.

Any you would recommend or even highlight anybody?
  • Kevin Davey / @kevinkdog / KJ Trading Systems is a multiple World Champion Trader. He meets criteria 1 and 3, but not 2. Not sure how you define 4, but Kevin was an Aerospace Engineer before becoming a trader. I've come to know Kevin quite well over the years, and have met him in person 4 times, and have a lot of respect for him. I also know a lot of people in the KJ Trading Systems Community (ie people who have take his course) and everybody has only great things to say about him. Used to be a great "Ask me Anything Thread" here with pages of excellent information but somebody seems to have deleted it. (WTF @Big Mike ?) Still lots of webinars and other good content still here that Kevin created, lots on his website as well.
  • Pete Hamby / The Spread Professor used to be a common poster on that other, more hostile, trading website, but it looks like he might have deleted his account and threads there. Not sure if his personal website is current, or just a dinosaur from the past. Believe he's an ex-NYMEX local/floor-trader I don't know Pete personally but I've always been very impressed with his online presence, definitely comes across as knowing what he's talking about. Also heard very good things about him and his course.

Thanked by:
 ZB23 
Atlanta Metro Area

SMCJB View Post

Any you would recommend or even highlight anybody?
  • Kevin Davey / @kevinkdog / KJ Trading Systems is a multiple World Champion Trader. He meets criteria 1 and 3, but not 2. Not sure how you define 4, but Kevin was an Aerospace Engineer before becoming a trader. I've come to know Kevin quite well over the years, and have met him in person 4 times, and have a lot of respect for him. I also know a lot of people in the KJ Trading Systems Community (ie people who have take his course) and everybody has only great things to say about him. Used to be a great "Ask me Anything Thread" here with pages of excellent information but somebody seems to have deleted it. (WTF @Big Mike ?) Still lots of webinars and other good content still here that Kevin created, lots on his website as well.
  • Pete Hamby / The Spread Professor used to be a common poster on that other, more hostile, trading website, but it looks like he might have deleted his account and threads there. Not sure if his personal website is current, or just a dinosaur from the past. Believe he's an ex-NYMEX local/floor-trader I don't know Pete personally but I've always been very impressed with his online presence, definitely comes across as knowing what he's talking about. Also heard very good things about him and his course.

Kevin Davey:

I am familiar with Kevin Davey. I believe he won the World Cup Championships of Futures Trading once. Criterion #2 doesn't really apply to him, because I consider him a teacher and not an institution. If there were other instructors, I might consider him a school. Furthermore, if he did run a school, I would have to relent on this criterion, because he meets Criteria 1, 2, and 4. An engineering degree is an academically rigorous endeavor.

All in all, I would recommend him. However, I wouldn't take his course because he focuses strictly on TradeStation's EasyLanguage. However, I'm sure there are some principles that I could glean from his course.

Pete Hamby:

I actually was a student of Pete's. His price tag may be a bit pricey for many at $4,500. For me, it's on the slightly lower-end as far as what I have paid for courses previously. Pete's sessions are 1-on-1 and he emphasizes paper trading. His sessions entail scrutinizing your previous paper trades and offering blunt critiques. There are so many spread permutations that exist for traders to exploit.

To answer your question, I can only highlight the people I have engaged in the past.

Jonathan Rose:

I purchased courses from him when he ran the site ActiveDayTrader, which is now MastersInTrading. I started off with the Bond Boot Camp, then I upgraded to his Apex Program. When he transitioned over to MastersInTrading, Iost my life-time membership. But I was able to keep the courses and tools I purchased under ActiveDayTrader. Jonathan was a floor trader in the NQ pit, then in Bonds.

Charlie Cochran:

Charlie Cochran partnered with Peter Nannis to create CNFT (Cochran and Nannis Futures Trading). Cochran was a professional trader and was instrumental in building volume profile which was a variant of Peter Steidlmayer's Market Profile. To put it another way, he added the volume component to Market Profile. The man was a volume profile wizard. He could call unfair highs and unfair lows premarket damn near to a tee. Unfortunately, Cochran passed four months into my membership. After he passed, the analysis that Peter gave just wasn't as good as Charlie's.

In all fairness, Nannis is a developer and he collaborated with Cochran to create the software that assisted us in generating signals. CNFT is defunct now. Its successor is Bluewater Trading Solutions. There are some videos of Cochran's analysis there.

Quantinsti/Quantra:

I recommend them to learn quantitative trading. I completed Quantinsti's EPAT program and I have purchased several ala carte courses from Quantra.

The Python Quants:

TPQ is run by Dr. Yves Hilpisch. I have not enrolled in this course. I plan to do that in the future. I learned about Hilpisch, because he is a lecturer in the Quantinsti's EPAT program.

TastyTrade:

They have a wealth of content. And best of all, it's free. However, its corpus lacks structure.

Thanked by:

SMCJB 
Houston TX
Legendary Market Wizard

Great Post @ZB23. It's unfortunate that this is a backwater post and won't get the recognition it deserves.

Re: Kevin.
World Championship's: Agree one 1st and two 2nd places. (Yes three top 2's). I would add that through Kevin I have met five other World Championship Winner's, two of which I communicate with regularly (So including Kevin that's 3!). The Five? Michael Cook, Tim Rayment, Kurt Sakaeda, Andrea Unger and Petra Zacek. Kevin is the guy!

Re: Jonathan Rose:
I like his blog/posts. I know this is the way (but not Kevin's way) but everything always seems to be this sounds really good, but to really see what I'm talking about you have to subscribe. And in his caae I always wonder, why if you are this good are you selling what you do? I know I really sound like a Kevin Fanboy here, but Kevin is very clear it's not easy. He also publishes a lot of research that is complete, no click here to (pay a fee and) get the end results. If you do his course he makes this very clear. Jonathan falls into the category of people that imply its easy if you do what he does, and I struggle to believe that.

Re: Hamby / Cochran / Quantinsti/Quantra / The Python Quants
Nothing to add.

Re: TastyTrade
How are they even in this conversation?

Thanked by:
 ZB23 
Atlanta Metro Area

@SMCJB:

I believe Kevin also knows the current Robbin's Cup leader, Ivan Scherman.

I learned about selling options by watching Tasty's content back in 2016. The content from the period is far better than today's content. The Splash into Futures with Pete Mulmat was really good back then and is probably still good today. I don't watch their content very much these days.

Jonathan's style is different. My only critique of him is that my lifetime subscription went away when he transitioned ActiveDayTrader to MastersInTrading. Aside from that, he's really good. And when it comes to trading Bond futures and utilizing the yield curve structure into analyzing entries and exits is impeccable. No one in the trading education space/social-media isn't teaching it that way. As a result, it changed my entire approach to trading-- I abandoned the use of most indicators.

Thanked by:

Analytic 
New York NY/United States

Platform: Multicharts, TS, TOS
Trading: Futures, Options, Stocks
Thanks Given: 73
Thanks Received: 223

kunfuu247 View Post
I am new here and this is my first question, I have been trading for about 2 years now with less experience in trading on the futures market S&P 500. I am looking for a (TRADING COURSE), or a mentor Please any recommendation. And how much is the course or the mentor
I really need help.

In the past I've tried dozens of trading courses, systems, indicators, strategies, algos, mentors none of them had any value in hindsight. Eventually I realized it's all marketing and that no one is going to teach you a profitable trading method.

If someone had a method to teach traders how to gain clarity into the market then that could be very useful for traders attempting to create their own trading strategies.

In general: Process -> Framework -> Clarity

What I'm working on: Process Map [Process] -> Market Map [Framework] -> Probability of Regime Switch (PRS) [Clarity] -> Strategy Robustness Number (SRN) [Clarity]

The numbers tell the story.
Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

Last Updated on January 4, 2024

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts