NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

How bad is NT lag?

Discussion in NinjaTrader

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one shortski with 17 posts (2 thanks)
    2. looks_two chipwitch with 16 posts (20 thanks)
    3. looks_3 phantomtrader with 7 posts (6 thanks)
    4. looks_4 iq200 with 3 posts (1 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one Fat Tails with 8 thanks per post
    2. looks_two glennts with 4.5 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 Miesto with 4 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 chipwitch with 1.3 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 31,517 views
    2. thumb_up 142 thanks given
    3. group 745 followers
    1. forum 137 posts
    2. attach_file 4 attachments

How bad is NT lag?

DanielScalping
Madrid, Spain

Thanks Given: 0
Thanks Received: 4

Hello everybody. I only had performance issues with NINJA once, and that was from having too many (+18) windows open with Market Profile, Cumulative Delta Order Flow. and on several instruments at the same time. My computer is relatively powerful (ryzen 7, 32 Gb RAM) so it is something that can happen and can cause serious performance problems. All this was aggravated by not having some indicators well configured. It is important that the moving averages, if you are going to use many simultaneous charts, are configured to be calculated at the close of candles. If you make rational use of your hardware, you shouldn't have any problems.

Thanked by:

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
Futures True Range Report
The Elite Circle
The space time continuum and the dynamics of a financial …
Emini and Emicro Index
My NT8 Volume Profile Split by Asian/Euro/Open
NinjaTrader
Are there any eval firms that allow you to sink to your …
Traders Hideout
NexusFi Journal Challenge - April 2024
Feedback and Announcements

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Get funded firms 2023/2024 - Any recommendations or word …
61 thanks
Funded Trader platforms
38 thanks
NexusFi site changelog and issues/problem reporting
26 thanks
GFIs1 1 DAX trade per day journal
19 thanks
The Program
18 thanks

ClimberMel
Vancouver Canada

Thanks Given: 1
Thanks Received: 6

chipwitch View Post
Live with Broker. Sounds like a similar setup. How much are you relying on tick data? DOM? T&S? Indicators that use either of those?

I know this is a late response...
I use tick(100 and 300) and minute(1, 5, 15, 30, 60) charts. I trade using the Super DOM not off the actual charts though (I have chart trader on but hidden on some charts so I can see my positions and orders). My trades always seem instantaneous. For day trading I usually trade es. So tons of liquidity in case it was the bid/ask spread that was part of the problem.
I do have a lot of charts open and I often have two trading platforms open as I use NT for day trading, but I use TWS for managing my portfolios. My computer is 6 core with 16Gb ram and running on an SSD, but it is older so no power house. I have two video cards and 6 monitors, so I always have a lot running. I can tell when I'm pushing it by the sound of the fans as they ramp up to max.

Cheers,
Mel

Thanked by:

Revelator 
Raleigh, North Carolina

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: NT8, Sierra Chart
Trading: ES
Thanks Received: 0

loantelligence View Post
Sync your Clock/Time on your computer......right click on the Time on your Task Bar...select Adjust Date/Time.....you will see a button Sync now....then look at your Lag time......should improve....

Hey brother - I sent you a PM

Sirius1664
50132 Firenze, Italy

Thanks Given: 1
Thanks Received: 0

I have also big problem with lagging on NT8 with ninjatrader brokerage and data feed from ninjatrader server... Also I can guarantee how bad is servers on ninjatrader particulary. Could be their slogan before sell their product. I installed an addon to measure lagging on data. I have an average of 500-700ms all the day. I tried all and when I tell all is all... Isn't my computer isn't my Ethernet connexion isn't my system... Is only problem of NT. I can certify that because I connected to test on same platform same system Interactive broker connexion through API and as a miracle I have only 5-10ms on same markets same templates same platform...

Sent using the NexusFi mobile app

twicetrader
rome italy

Thanks Received: 1

It couldn't be worst.
from 30 to 50 secs to send, change or cancel order. During fast market, NT really sucks. Sometimes it takes 2 minutes to get confirmation. And NT gives no response on this issue. I love NT but Tradestation is another planet.
What about having a stop loss , that for NT is client based? You get the point :-(

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Schermata 2022-06-15 alle 18.46.02.png
Views:	96
Size:	93.1 KB
ID:	325229  

shortski 
Calgary, AB, Canada

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: Multicharts & NinjaTrader
Broker: Mirus/Zen-Fire
Trading: ES CL TF 6E
Thanks Given: 101
Thanks Received: 80

Lol. Just heard from NT. They told me that 49 ticks if ‘slippage’ is normal.

phantomtrader 
Reno, Nevada
Legendary Market Wizard

Experience: Advanced
Platform: NinjaTrader
Trading: ZN, ZB, CL
Frequency: Daily
Duration: Minutes
Thanks Given: 217
Thanks Received: 984

There's definitely something going on with the latest version of NT8. I was working on the simulator this week, not trading live. Three days in a row a couple of NQ and ES trades had huge slippage - I mean huge!
Below is a jpg of one of the trades. Contacted NT8 support - they asked for detailed information which I sent. Not sure what to think. Can you imagine if this was a live trade?????????? It was a huge loss.

Something screwy with NT8.
I might transfer my account to Tradeovate for a while and only use NT8 for my order flow indicators.

ES 09-22 (10 Range) 2022_06_15 (11_59_16 AM)

Thanked by:

chipwitch 
Nashville, TN

Experience: Beginner
Broker: NinjaTrader, Continuum Data
Trading: MES for now... baby steps
Thanks Given: 230
Thanks Received: 631

phantomtrader View Post
There's definitely something going on with the latest version of NT8. I was working on the simulator this week, not trading live. Three days in a row a couple of NQ and ES trades had huge slippage - I mean huge!
Below is a jpg of one of the trades. Contacted NT8 support - they asked for detailed information which I sent. Not sure what to think. Can you imagine if this was a live trade?????????? It was a huge loss.

Something screwy with NT8.
I might transfer my account to Tradeovate for a while and only use NT8 for my order flow indicators.

ES 09-22 (10 Range) 2022_06_15 (11_59_16 AM)

I've seen something similar on NT8 but that was explicable. In my case it was in a thinner market (MCL) and just before the inventory report release where it took 20 or so seconds to fill a market order. Yours makes no sense. I checked yahoo charts and they show a run up to your stop price but it's like 4 minutes later. At least I think I'm looking at the right time, 2:33 pm eastern? I suspect that it's an issue with the data service and the simulator is based on that. Had you had a live order in with the exchange, it would have likely not have stopped you out there. Just my guess.

Started this thread

phantomtrader 
Reno, Nevada
Legendary Market Wizard

Experience: Advanced
Trading: ZN, ZB, CL
Frequency: Daily
Duration: Minutes
Thanks Given: 217
Thanks Received: 984

chipwitch View Post
I've seen something similar on NT8 but that was explicable. In my case it was in a thinner market (MCL) and just before the inventory report release where it took 20 or so seconds to fill a market order. Yours makes no sense. I checked yahoo charts and they show a run up to your stop price but it's like 4 minutes later. At least I think I'm looking at the right time, 2:33 pm eastern? I suspect that it's an issue with the data service and the simulator is based on that. Had you had a live order in with the exchange, it would have likely not have stopped you out there. Just my guess.

I'm hoping you're right. It happened several days in a row on the NQ and the ES. The support gurus are looking at it. I did a replay today, executing the trades at exactly the same time - no problem there. That leads me to believe it was some type of anomaly that occurred on the platform at those particular times. Otherwise, the replay data download would have reflected the extreme slippage.
Another anomaly yesterday was that the log, where you would expect to see an error message, started recording over an hour into the session. So I think it's something screwy with the platform.
The question remains, however, about live trading. And that could be a catastrophe.

Thanked by:

chipwitch 
Nashville, TN

Experience: Beginner
Broker: NinjaTrader, Continuum Data
Trading: MES for now... baby steps
Thanks Given: 230
Thanks Received: 631

phantomtrader View Post
I'm hoping you're right. It happened several days in a row on the NQ and the ES. The support gurus are looking at it. I did a replay today, executing the trades at exactly the same time - no problem there. That leads me to believe it was some type of anomaly that occurred on the platform at those particular times. Otherwise, the replay data download would have reflected the extreme slippage.
Another anomaly yesterday was that the log, where you would expect to see an error message, started recording over an hour into the session. So I think it's something screwy with the platform.
The question remains, however, about live trading. And that could be a catastrophe.

Be sure to let us know what they find.

Started this thread
Thanked by:

Last Updated on October 23, 2022

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts