NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Traders with 5-10 years of experience but still not profitable

Discussion in Psychology and Money Management

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one chipwitch with 30 posts (142 thanks)
    2. looks_two goodoboy with 26 posts (45 thanks)
    3. looks_3 kevinkdog with 25 posts (145 thanks)
    4. looks_4 bobwest with 23 posts (188 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one bobwest with 8.2 thanks per post
    2. looks_two vmodus with 6.4 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 kevinkdog with 5.8 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 chipwitch with 4.7 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 65,073 views
    2. thumb_up 1,222 thanks given
    3. group 726 followers
    1. forum 315 posts
    2. attach_file 12 attachments

Search this Thread

Traders with 5-10 years of experience but still not profitable

kevinkdog   is a Vendor

Thanks Given: 1,890
Thanks Received: 7,338

andrej View Post
What myth? When you have a real edge you can easily get 1:3 or more out of your trades.

Statistics on large data sets show that successful retail traders use 1:3 (and more).

Please cite your source for this. I know lots of traders THINK they need 1:3 risk to reward, but that does not mean this is a successful RR to have.

I'd much rather have a 1:2 risk to reward with 40% winning trades than 1:3 risk to reward with 25% winning trades, just as an example. I'd also rather have a 2:1 risk to reward if I had a 70% chance of winning comapred to 1:3 with 25% wins.

My point: risk:reward, by itself, means NOTHING.

Follow me on Twitter Reply With Quote

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
Ninja Mobile Trader VPS (ninjamobiletrader.com)
Trading Reviews and Vendors
Build trailing stop for micro index(s)
Psychology and Money Management
Better Renko Gaps
The Elite Circle
NT7 Indicator Script Troubleshooting - Camarilla Pivots
NinjaTrader
Futures True Range Report
The Elite Circle

andrej 
London, UK

Experience: Master
Platform: NinjaTrader
Broker: NinjaTrader Brokerage, AMP
Trading: Futures

kevinkdog View Post
My point: risk:reward, by itself, means NOTHING.[/B]

Your edge is underdeveloped or you stopped developing as a trader, and risk of ruin is high if you do not see at least 1:3 trades all over the place. If you see and do not place and take those you have emotional problems.

kevinkdog   is a Vendor

andrej View Post
Your edge is underdeveloped or you stopped developing as a trader, and risk of ruin is high if you do not see at least 1:3 trades all over the place. If you see and do not place and take those you have emotional problems.

No, it is simple math.

You can easily lose money with a 1:3 risk:reward strategy.

You can easily lose money with a 3:1 risk:reward strategy.

And, you can win with both.

But just knowing the risk:reward is not enough to say you have a successful approach.

I can explain if anyone desires.

forgiven 
Fletcher NC
Market Wizard

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: nijia trader
Broker: A.M.P. I.Q. ....C.Q.G.
Trading: ym es
Frequency: Every few days
Duration: Days
Thanks Given: 287
Thanks Received: 580

I can just speak for myself . It is the path you go down when you start your trading journey . I had unreal goals . Under estimated how difficult the journey would be or how long it would take . Trusted trading educators that can not trade as well. I think my biggest mistake was starting of day trading first . It is like starting collage with out a elementary education . After year three I went back and got a swing trading education and swing traded until I was profitable doing that . To my surprise things that did not work well on a small time frame chart worked on the larger time frames . I also seen there was no real need for holy grail domes or footprint charting . A lot of the time and money I wasted the first three years was on unnecessary stuff because I skipped elementary school and started collage . I did not know any better .

Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote

Hulk 
Texas, USA

Experience: Advanced
Platform: TT, Custom
Trading: Futures, Spreads
Thanks Given: 731
Thanks Received: 901

andrej View Post

If you risk $1 for a reward of $3 then, what I call the profit factor (size of wins vs size of losses), is 3. I think we can agree to this. Now, if you lose 75% of your trades and win the rest, you are still losing in spite of the high profit factor.

Another way:
Lets say over 100 trades, your win ratio was 25% and your risk/reward was 1:3.
You won 25 trades making $3 each = $75.
You lost 75 trades losing $1 each = -$75.

Net you lost after commissions.

@kevinkdog is right. By itself win ratio or risk/reward means nothing. You have to look at them together.

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote

andrej 
London, UK

Hulk View Post
If you risk $1 for a reward of $3 then, what I call the profit factor (size of wins vs size of losses), is 3. I think we can agree to this. Now, if you lose 75% of your trades and win the rest, you are still losing in spite of the high profit factor.

Another way:

@kevinkdog is right. By itself win ratio or risk/reward means nothing. You have to look at them together.

Win ratio is "the edge or setups" I wrote about earlier. Is anyone reading from the start nowadays?

kevinkdog   is a Vendor

andrej View Post
Win ratio is "the edge or setups" I wrote about earlier. Is anyone reading from the start nowadays?

OK, when you say risk:reward of 1:3 is good, you are including some undefined win% percentage in the scenario that makes the math work out for a profitable strategy. That makes sense.

Thanked by:

andrej 
London, UK

No, follow-up questions?

Conclusion: most of you would not be profitable even spoonfed.

BTW cancel out and shut down culture is full-on in this forum. Way to go 'moderator'!

cheers!

bavan666
Mumbai, India

Thanks Given: 49
Thanks Received: 60

andrej View Post
No, follow-up questions?

Conclusion: most of you would not be profitable even spoonfed.

BTW cancel out and shut down culture is full-on in this forum. Way to go 'moderator'!

cheers!

I actually had a question, if using "Scrying" can help you look into the future, you should have a 100% win rate on your trades, right? what's stopping you from becoming a multi-billionaire then?

forgiven 
Fletcher NC
Market Wizard

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: nijia trader
Broker: A.M.P. I.Q. ....C.Q.G.
Trading: ym es
Frequency: Every few days
Duration: Days
Thanks Given: 287
Thanks Received: 580

Hulk View Post

Another way:

the larger the RR the lower the win rate is in most systems . you can have a profitable system with a 30 % win rate . however you will all ways have larger draw downs with lower win rates . even with a 50 % win rate you can have 10 to 15 L in a row . few traders can handle that mentally because it stops them from leveraging up . so they can not make the income they dreamed about . so the trader goes searching for a system that does not exist . 80% winners at 3 to 1 RR with little draw down .

Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote

Last Updated on October 12, 2023

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts