NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Tiger's Price Action Journal

Discussion in Trading Journals

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one Tiger45 with 170 posts (307 thanks)
    2. looks_two bluemele with 31 posts (9 thanks)
    3. looks_3 Big Mike with 24 posts (20 thanks)
    4. looks_4 itrade2win with 6 posts (10 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one Tiger45 with 1.8 thanks per post
    2. looks_two itrade2win with 1.7 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 Big Mike with 0.8 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 bluemele with 0.3 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 44,421 views
    2. thumb_up 371 thanks given
    3. group 15 followers
    1. forum 258 posts
    2. attach_file 122 attachments

Search this Thread

Tiger's Price Action Journal

Tiger45 
San Diego, CA, USA

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: Sierra Chart
Trading: CL, ES
Thanks Given: 203
Thanks Received: 422

Only 1 CL trade today for BE+1 with a 1 tick slip. Nadda.

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Started this thread Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
ZombieSqueeze
Platforms and Indicators
Better Renko Gaps
The Elite Circle
MC PL editor upgrade
MultiCharts
NexusFi Journal Challenge - May 2024
Feedback and Announcements
REcommedations for programming help
Sierra Chart

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Spoo-nalysis ES e-mini futures S&P 500
48 thanks
Just another trading journal: PA, Wyckoff & Trends
35 thanks
Bigger Wins or Fewer Losses?
24 thanks
Tao te Trade: way of the WLD
24 thanks
GFIs1 1 DAX trade per day journal
22 thanks

Tiger45 
San Diego, CA, USA

Debated on posting an entry today. For most of the day, I was a like a dear in the headlights. There were several trades I tried to put on, but the entry was so conservative none of them were filled. There were several very nice entries, especially in 6E that I simply didn't take. I seemed to be looking for reasons not to trade.

The first pullback entry in 6E had huge orders sitting on the offer, so I convinced myself that there would be too much resistance for a long. It wasn't.

The second opportunity 6E made a triple top/triple bottom right near the EMA with small bars. This was obviously a bull flag, but I saw it as weakening demand and didn't take it.

The 3rd opportunity 6E formed a small, inside bar after 3 legs up, and 08:33 3min candle showed some selling pressure. I hesitated on this, then put the order in but too late. Price shot up. Another leg up.

There were 2 others (one would have been a stop out).

I'm just mad now.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	6E 03-11 (3 Min)  2_16_2011.png
Views:	185
Size:	64.9 KB
ID:	31122  
Thanked by:

Tiger45 
San Diego, CA, USA

Today:
CL: +$20.00
6E: -$250.00

Month:
CL: +$180.00
6E: -587.50

YTD:
CL: -$490.00

Traded brains for guts today. Was determined to trade the signals. A lesson learned is to trade ALL the signals and not cherry pick. After 2 losers in 6E, I passed on a winning trade. Then traded another loser.

6E Trade #1
Saw this pullback just after booting up. Hadn't done any pre-game stuff, but it looked like a valid signal. After entering the trade, I looked at the 60 min chart and this was buying right at the top of a range. -6 ticks.

Waited a couple of hours for all the news to die down.

6E Trade #2
The peaks in 6E were getting weaker, then it dropped below the EMA and made a LL by 1 tick. Figured this was the first leg of a down move, but it wasn't. -6 ticks.

The next pullback opportunity had a doji close over the EMA followed by a red candle closing below. I chose not to take this winner.

6E Trade #3
Thought there might be one more leg up on this. There wasn't. -8 ticks.

CL almost bored me to tears this morning. It was doing a slow, painful climb with nothing but overlapping bars. The bars finally started to show some direction and character around 07:50. I had been watching that 85.29 pivot high for a break out, and it finally came. However the move was short lived. For the next 2 hours CL marched painfully up.

CL Trade #1
The first breakout bar occurred at 09:53. I didn't like the small doji that followed, and I didn't really know what to make of the next bar. Double bottom with the doji and 5 ticks higher. I was waiting for a pullback that didn't come. Eventually I entered the run on the 4th pullback. Got 19 MFE and moved my stop to BE+2 because I was worried about slippage. Stopped out BE+2.

The need for acting decisively on these surges made itself evident as I watched price move without me while I pondered the setup. After reviewing the recording of this move, it's obvious I'm spending too much time thinking and not enough time reacting.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	6E 03-11 (3 Min)  2_17_2011.png
Views:	173
Size:	105.5 KB
ID:	31197  
Thanked by:

bluemele 
Honolulu, Hawaii

Platform: NinjaTrader
Broker: ATC/TT, AMP/Zen-Fire, AMP/CQG
Trading: TF
Thanks Given: 3,803
Thanks Received: 2,842

Good journaling!

Keep going, I see a breakthrough coming!

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote

Big Mike 
Manta, Ecuador
Site Administrator
Developer
Swing Trader

Experience: Advanced
Platform: Custom solution
Broker: IBKR
Trading: Stocks & Futures
Frequency: Every few days
Duration: Weeks
Thanks Given: 33,217
Thanks Received: 101,610

Tiger45 View Post
Debated on posting an entry today. For most of the day, I was a like a dear in the headlights. There were several trades I tried to put on, but the entry was so conservative none of them were filled. There were several very nice entries, especially in 6E that I simply didn't take. I seemed to be looking for reasons not to trade.

The first pullback entry in 6E had huge orders sitting on the offer, so I convinced myself that there would be too much resistance for a long. It wasn't.

The second opportunity 6E made a triple top/triple bottom right near the EMA with small bars. This was obviously a bull flag, but I saw it as weakening demand and didn't take it.

The 3rd opportunity 6E formed a small, inside bar after 3 legs up, and 08:33 3min candle showed some selling pressure. I hesitated on this, then put the order in but too late. Price shot up. Another leg up.

There were 2 others (one would have been a stop out).

I'm just mad now.

Tiger45, I'm glad you posted, even on a bad day. That is exactly what you need to do. It doesn't do you any good if you don't post and talk about the trades, and learn from it.

Regarding your screen shot and the markup --- let me ask a few questions:
1) If you look at a bigger picture chart, where you could see more 'to the left', the area where you saw a bunch of sell orders on the DOM may have been a previous consolidation area or a previous swing area.

2) Is it in your plan to analyze the DOM in such a way like you did for the missed long entry? Was it your plan to take this long entry?

3) Step back and forget the DOM and chart patterns. Rewind your chart so that the right edge is the 'long entry' you missed. What does it look like? What signals has the market given you that it is about to head higher?

4) Even if you missed this first entry, why did you miss the second one? It seems you were married to the idea of some sort of retracement or short setup, when the chart in front of you was saying bullish.

Just my thoughts. Don't beat yourself up over missed trades. If your plan calls for taking the trades then try to determine exactly why you didn't, and use the exact same information you had available at the time of entry (or missed entry) -- don't use a chart that shows prints after the fact. You need to learn to evaluate with the true data available at the time of making a decision.

Good job, keep up the hard work, and it will pay off.

If you haven't already, check out this thread - you may win an iPad for your journal:

Mike

We're here to help: just ask the community or contact our Help Desk

Quick Links: Change your Username or Register as a Vendor
Searching for trading reviews? Review this list
Lifetime Elite Membership: Sign-up for only $149 USD
Exclusive money saving offers from our Site Sponsors: Browse Offers
Report problems with the site: Using the NexusFi changelog thread
Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

bluemele 
Honolulu, Hawaii

Platform: NinjaTrader
Broker: ATC/TT, AMP/Zen-Fire, AMP/CQG
Trading: TF
Thanks Given: 3,803
Thanks Received: 2,842

Tiger,

Do you still have my number?

I can walk you through setting up a video recording. I would LOVE to see your video! I think it would help you a lot too!

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote

Tiger45 
San Diego, CA, USA

Big Mike View Post
Tiger45, I'm glad you posted, even on a bad day. That is exactly what you need to do. It doesn't do you any good if you don't post and talk about the trades, and learn from it.

Regarding your screen shot and the markup --- let me ask a few questions:
1) If you look at a bigger picture chart, where you could see more 'to the left', the area where you saw a bunch of sell orders on the DOM may have been a previous consolidation area or a previous swing area.
Mike

The market had been trending down, then made a pivot low on1.3496 at 04:36 PST before making another run at that EMA. The place where I saw the large sell orders corresponded roughly to the center of that pivot low candle.

Big Mike View Post
2) Is it in your plan to analyze the DOM in such a way like you did for the missed long entry? Was it your plan to take this long entry?

No, it's not. I've been reading some books that talked about reading the tape, so I was paying more attention than usual to the DOM. I've since learned that futures don't really have a tape like stocks do, and it's not worthwhile to put too much into what's on the DOM.

Big Mike View Post
3) Step back and forget the DOM and chart patterns. Rewind your chart so that the right edge is the 'long entry' you missed. What does it look like? What signals has the market given you that it is about to head higher?

The strongest signal is perhaps the double bottom the 08:15 candle made with the first bull candle of that leg up. It did that on relatively high volume, meaning the bears couldn't cause a sell off. The next 2 candles made a triple top with that failed bear candle - interestingly, stopping to the tick of the last time price poked above the EMA before crashing down. Those bars also formed an internal double bottom - basically a small range - right at the point price crashed previously. Since price had been trending up and hadn't even touched the EMA for almost an hour, it was reasonable to assume the trend would continue.

Big Mike View Post
4) Even if you missed this first entry, why did you miss the second one? It seems you were married to the idea of some sort of retracement or short setup, when the chart in front of you was saying bullish.

I stood on the sidelines under the 'it can't go any higher' theory. Price made 4 strong legs up and was now approaching the pre-market congestion area.

Big Mike View Post
Just my thoughts. Don't beat yourself up over missed trades. If your plan calls for taking the trades then try to determine exactly why you didn't, and use the exact same information you had available at the time of entry (or missed entry) -- don't use a chart that shows prints after the fact. You need to learn to evaluate with the true data available at the time of making a decision.

Good job, keep up the hard work, and it will pay off.

Mike

Thanks for the input and good advice. It's always helpful to get more eyes on the issues. I hadn't noticed until now that price was forming that triple top at a previous swing high. A pretty clear sign a break out was possible.

With the holiday today and the craziness in the CL market, today is a good day to go back through my Passed Trades log and do exactly that - scroll to the edge and see why I didn't take the trades.

Thanked by:

Tiger45 
San Diego, CA, USA

Friday was a crazy day - no time to post and barely time to trade. In and out of the office, phone calls, etc. This is Friday's log.

Today:
CL: $70.00
6E: flat

Month:
CL: +$250.00
6E: -$587.50

YTD:
CL: -$420.00

Trade #1
Looking to get in on the run up. Watching for an entry on the 1 min chart. Was waiting for the bars to consolidate. When long on the second push and was expecting price to break the 07:23 pivot high. When it did on the 07:27 bar but failed to follow through, that was my signal to exit at BE but didn't. Held the trade. -8 ticks.

Had to leave the office. Got back at 09:30 and saw price weakening.

Trade #2
Price closed below the EMA after skimming along for a 6 bars. The next bar failed to resume the uptrend or even break the EMA. Started trailing a stop under that bar. The 09:40 bar was a small inside doji. Don't usually like taking trades of doji's, but price really looked weak. Got filled on the next bar. Trailed my stop from the 1 min chart and stopped out +15 ticks.

Had to make some ugly phone calls and emails, so I minimized the screens to concentrate. When I came back, I saw I missed a textbook pullback entry that dropped for over 140 ticks!! Not that I would have captured most of that, but it was exciting to see an entry I would have (or at least should have) taken work so well.

Finished slightly positive. Decent ending to a crappy day.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Feb-18.png
Views:	144
Size:	32.5 KB
ID:	31436  
Thanked by:

Tiger45 
San Diego, CA, USA

bluemele View Post
Tiger,

Do you still have my number?

I can walk you through setting up a video recording. I would LOVE to see your video! I think it would help you a lot too!

Got the recordings, but haven't invested the time to lean how to splice out dead time. Plus, don't know what to do with them either. Maybe a Youtube channel? Sent you a PM.

Thanked by:

Tiger45 
San Diego, CA, USA

Today:
CL: +$100.00
6E: +$200.00

Month:
CL: +350.00
6E: -$387.50

YTD:
CL: -$320.00
6E: -$387.50

CL lost its mind today. The T&S and DOM were going crazy. Played on paper for awhile and watched. Nearly every trade I would have taken would have been a full stop or BE. The chart was well behaved, but a much bigger stop was required to trade my setups.

Things quieted down a little. I watched 2 nice trades that were survivable. Reached down the front of my pants to make sure they were still there, then...

CL Trade #1
There was a massive sell off that started to weaken. The 1 min chart gave a textbook pullback entry at 94.90. Was targeting the double bottom at 94.53/94.54 but didn't trust it. Moved to BE+10 after 17 MFE at the end of the entry bar. +10 ticks.

The Euro traded in a narrow, whippy range most of the day. Around 08:00 it looked tired.

6E Trade #1
Took the first clean entry with a survivable stop. Took 6 ticks of heat and waited through 2 more bars before price dropped. +16 ticks.

The Good
Was patient and didn't get anxious when I saw good trades pass me by.

The Bad
Still unwilling to accept a binary outcome (target or full stop).
Not prepared on 6E trade. Took a couple of seconds to find my DOM and I could have missed the trade.

BTW, if anyone is interested, I've posted a couple of videos (two from today and an old one as a test)

[yt]https://www.youtube.com/user/tiger45trader[/yt]

I think I have to wait awhile before I'm allowed to embed them here - is that right?

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Feb-22-CL.png
Views:	153
Size:	32.5 KB
ID:	31552   Click image for larger version

Name:	6E 03-11 (3 Min)  2_22_2011.png
Views:	153
Size:	104.4 KB
ID:	31553  
Thanked by:

Last Updated on October 20, 2014

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts