NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Tiger's Price Action Journal

Discussion in Trading Journals

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one Tiger45 with 170 posts (307 thanks)
    2. looks_two bluemele with 31 posts (9 thanks)
    3. looks_3 Big Mike with 24 posts (20 thanks)
    4. looks_4 itrade2win with 6 posts (10 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one Tiger45 with 1.8 thanks per post
    2. looks_two itrade2win with 1.7 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 Big Mike with 0.8 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 bluemele with 0.3 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 44,141 views
    2. thumb_up 371 thanks given
    3. group 15 followers
    1. forum 258 posts
    2. attach_file 122 attachments

Search this Thread

Tiger's Price Action Journal

Tiger45 
San Diego, CA, USA

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: Sierra Chart
Trading: CL, ES
Thanks Given: 203
Thanks Received: 422

Big Mike View Post
Sim should be as real as possible, or it isn't worth a great deal unless you are still learning how to use the platform.

If you won't trade cash the way you are trading sim, then trading sim is not going to help you trade cash.

Mike

It is as real as possible. Had I started off with real money, I would have switched to sim.

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Started this thread Reply With Quote

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
Deepmoney LLM
Elite Quantitative GenAI/LLM
Better Renko Gaps
The Elite Circle
Online prop firm The Funded Trader (TFT) going under?
Traders Hideout
New Micros: Ultra 10-Year & Ultra T-Bond -- Live Now
Treasury Notes and Bonds
Build trailing stop for micro index(s)
Psychology and Money Management

Tiger45 
San Diego, CA, USA

Little out of step with the market today. Looking back on my 4 trades, 3 were long. There was so much support for each leg, I was unable to see the forest for the trees. It's really hard to short above support, and I haven't had much luck putting sell stops in place and letting the wave take me down (or up, either).

Early market was up, but it started to flatten out by the time I got in. There was huge support at 82.27 so I was very reluctant to take any shorts.

Trade #1
The failure to go higher on the 07:15 - 07:30 bars had me looking for a short trade. Price dropped unconvincingly before popping back up above the EMA and making a lower high. The 87.07 had 2 hammer tails stop there, so I was waiting for a break of that. Went short 87.06 but no follow through. +1

Trade #2
After the failed short, price closed above the EMA and I went long with a tight stop. -5 ticks.

Trade #3
Same song. Lots of support at 86.92, and price was making HH's and HL's. No follow through again. Out BE +1.

I was watching price make that ascending triangle, figuring these things usually break out to the flat side. However, I didn't want to get caught in a false break out, so I kept my distance. I was still convinced that support was going to hold, so I wasn't looking for a short. When price broke out to the downside, I wanted to wait and see if support held before going short.

Trade #4
Support held, and price made a couple of HH's, I placed a buy stop above the triangle and was filled 87.21 but there was no follow through. I was so caught up in cheering my long position on, then staring slack jawed as I was stopped out, that I didn't see the double top form after I was stopped out BE+1 on the 10:25 bar.

That was the short trade of the day and I missed it.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CL 12-10 (5 Min)  11_9_2010.png
Views:	188
Size:	57.6 KB
ID:	25535  
Thanked by:

Tiger45 
San Diego, CA, USA

Just kept plugging away today, trying to learn as much as I can. I had some good entries, but got whipsawed out on one of them, and the other I didn't manage very well. That's OK, because right now I'm mainly focusing on entries. It's part of my 3 step rehab program: Identify the entry. Take the entry. Manage the trade.

Trade #1
Price was rising before the 05:30 news, then after the news, had a pullback. Entered long 87.06 and moved my stop to BE+1 when it was going my way. The next bar took me out with 1 tick slip. 0 ticks.

After the run up, price made 2 shooting stars. I placed a stop sell at 87.41 and waited patiently for the 3rd push higher that never came. Instead I watched and chose to ignore the low risk short entry at the close of the 06:20 bar. There's a lesson here, I think.

Trade #2
Price was showing some weakness making LL and LH, but had doji's overlapping the EMA. I decided not to let that spook me and let price be my guide. Went short 87.03 when that baby hammer looked more bearish. Kept a tight reign on my stop and moved to BE+1, but got slipped again. 0 ticks.

Trade #4
The 06:45 bar formed a baby hammer on high volume and closed over the EMA. Decided to play the catch a wave game and picked an entry at the high of the hammer with a stop 1 tick below the hammer's open and let it run. Didn't move to BE+1 when I had the chance. I really suck at this game. Stopped out -4 ticks.

Took a break to watch the oil report madness.

Trade #4
Things settled down and started to move higher. I waited for the overlapping bars to spread out a bit and went long at 87.09 based on a shorter time frame. At this point, I was fixated on the shorter time frame and didn't even look at the 5 min chart. I trailed my stop up after each bar close, but had I done that on the 5 min chart, I would have had a stellar trade. Instead... +16 ticks.

I watched that run up on all different time frames and didn't have the guts to jump in. Anywhere would have worked.

Thanked by:

Tiger45 
San Diego, CA, USA

Forgot the chart...

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	CL 12-10 (5 Min)  11_10_2010.png
Views:	171
Size:	59.7 KB
ID:	25569  
Thanked by:

Tiger45 
San Diego, CA, USA

Happy Veterans Day!

Morning was down, so I was looking for shorts. Missed a nice one at 05:30 because I slept in.

Trade #1
After I missed that first leg down, I waited for a second entry. Price moved above the EMA and stalled. I placed a stop sell at 88.05 after the 06:20 bar, but wasn't filled. The next 2 bars dropped below the EMA. I got filled short at 87.88 on a retrace of the 06:35 bar, then after 15 ticks MFE, it came back and took me out BE +1.

The next hour was overlapping insanity. I watched the bear flag build and briefly thought about shorting the breakdown, but the past hour's barbed wire kept me out.

Trade #2
The inverted hammer at 07:50 was inline with previous support, and a better trader would have gone long on the close with a tight stop. That's not me at the moment. Instead, I waited for the bars to spread out a bit. After a close above the EMA and another confirmation bar, I entered a buy stop at 87.94 and THIS time I was going to manage it from the 5 min chart. I got 21 ticks MFE and price started coming back down. On the next bar, the T&S was going crazy and there was no follow through, so I moved my stop to BE + 10 and was taken out.

I watched for a little while longer, then decided to do some studying.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	CL 12-10 (5 Min)  11_11_2010.png
Views:	156
Size:	59.8 KB
ID:	25589  
Thanked by:

Tiger45 
San Diego, CA, USA

The morning session was down, so I was looking for short trades.

Trade #1
After the double top and the big down bar at 06:10, I was waiting for a breakdown. The 06:25 bar closed at the EMA, just below the lows of the 2 previous bars. Looked to the shorted time frame for an entry. Went short at 86.32 with a tight stop, but was taken out. -5 ticks.

After the 07:20 shooting star, I seriously thought about putting a sell stop 2 ticks below, but given my success rate with that trade, I decided against it. Would have worked this time.

Interesting that the big down bar stopped right at the double bottom made on 05:20/05:25. It looked like price was trying to break above that. The ascending triangle formed and gave a false breakout, then price crashed again.

Trade #2
This was a counter trend trade based on a shorted time frame. Looked like some support at 85.32. When long 85.37 with a tight stop. Out BE+1

Trade #3
Frustrating. Got a nice entry, then after 9 ticks moved my stop to BE +1. The next bar the bottom fell out. Would have only taken 7 ticks of heat. +1

Trade #4
After another big leg down, price started creeping back up, making HH's and HL's. I didn't know if price would bump off the EMA or go right through. Took the long signal with a tight stop. -2 ticks.

Trade #5
Price backed off the EMA, then had 2 strong up bars, the the second bar closing above. I didn't wait for the second, confirming bar (broken rule) and it cost me 11 ticks.

Just keep swinging...

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	CL 12-10 (5 Min)  11_12_2010.png
Views:	160
Size:	59.7 KB
ID:	25619  
Thanked by:
Hard 8
Cheyenne, WY

Thanks Given: 12
Thanks Received: 41

This is another excellent journal.

Tiger45 
San Diego, CA, USA

Hard 8 View Post
This is another excellent journal.

Thanks, but it would be better if I were making money.

Tiger45 
San Diego, CA, USA

The recent overnight trend was up, so I was looking for long trades. However, the long wicks on the candles didn't inspire confidence in me.

Trade #1

After the 2 news events, it looked like the new trend was down. I did get a long signal and took the trade, but kept a tight watch on it. After the entry bar failed to push higher, I moved my stop to BE+2 where I was taken out.

I watched the triangle form and was ready for a southbound break out. I'm still too uncertain about break out plays, but I did watch that 1 min chart to see if a stop sell at 85.26 would have been a winner or hit my 11 ticks stop. It would have been a winner.

Trade #2
After the drop, waited for confirmation, then entered short at 85.20 from a shorter time frame entry. Got my 9 ticks, moved to BE+1 where I was stopped out before price dropped 20 ticks.

Just watched for the rest of the morning.

On my first trade, I had a tight stop of 7 ticks that would have been hit. On my second trade, I had a 9 tick stop that would NOT have been hit. My hard target on both trades was 30 ticks. If I had let the trades run their course, I would have lost 7 ticks on the first trade and made 30 ticks on the second. Managing the trade is the next stop on my rehab program.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	CL 12-10 (5 Min)  11_15_2010.png
Views:	151
Size:	57.4 KB
ID:	25728  
Thanked by:

Tiger45 
San Diego, CA, USA

Surprising how oil can trend so strongly and all of my trades that were with-trend were losers. It was the whippy-ness and tight stops that mostly did me in. I alternated between real and sim. On review, there were two signals that I spaced on that were winners.

Trade #1
Price briefly poked above the EMA before heading down. Went short 83.77 with a BE+1 exit. My best trade of the day.

The next hour had lots of overlapping bars, so I switched to sim. Had a push down at 05:45 and more sideways crap. Price made 3 unsuccessful attempts to break 83.54.

Trade #2
Placed sell stop at 83.51 with a 4 tick stop and waited for another attempt to break 83.54. Got filled, then instead of getting out BE+1, I let the trade run. -4 ticks.

Switched back to real.

Trade #3
Tried to get in on the trend. Short 82.72 and stopped out. -9 ticks.

Switched to sim

Trade #4
Right idea, poor execution. Wanted to put a sell stop just under the inverted hammer. Entered the trade too soon and too high. Had I waited for the bar to close, it would have been a nice trade. -9 ticks.

Switched to real.

Trade #5
Another attempt to rejoin the trend, which was pretty much played out by now. Short 82.43 and stopped out -6 ticks.

Switched to sim.

Trade #6
Tried to get back in to the trend. Too little too late. -7 ticks.

Not very happy about missing 2 signals, but other than that, I did take the trades as my plan called for. Need to find solace in small victories.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	CL 12-10 (5 Min)  11_16_2010.png
Views:	152
Size:	54.0 KB
ID:	25788  
Thanked by:

Last Updated on October 20, 2014

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts