NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Why dont people trade 150 ES contracts?

Discussion in Emini and Emicro Index

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one wldman with 8 posts (7 thanks)
    2. looks_two josh with 8 posts (23 thanks)
    3. looks_3 kevinkdog with 3 posts (0 thanks)
    4. looks_4 bobbolton with 3 posts (0 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one bobwest with 6.5 thanks per post
    2. looks_two matthew28 with 4.5 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 josh with 2.9 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 wldman with 0.9 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 12,643 views
    2. thumb_up 80 thanks given
    3. group 19 followers
    1. forum 45 posts
    2. attach_file 2 attachments

Search this Thread

Why dont people trade 150 ES contracts?

wldman 
Chicago Illinois USA
Legendary Market Wizard

Experience: Advanced
Broker: IB, ToS
Trading: /ES, US Equities/Options
Frequency: Several times daily
Duration: Hours
Thanks Given: 2,048
Thanks Received: 9,516

josh View Post
Not since September of this year! Big SP said goodbye with SPU21.

ES may have started as a retail tool, but SP hasn't traded more than 5% of the daily notional of ES in several years (I'd usually see < 10K SP's, equating to 50K minis, or about 5% on a ~1M volume day). It's the hedging vehicle of choice for SPX MM's, from what they tell me.

For longer term positions the SP may have had some value, but given the lack of ability to trade it electronically, and the fact that the pit has had no impact on price discovery for years, I'm not sure I see an advantage to phoning a broker versus clicking a mouse, in the last decade or so anyway.

Totally.

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
How to apply profiles
Traders Hideout
Better Renko Gaps
The Elite Circle
MC PL editor upgrade
MultiCharts
Quant vue
Trading Reviews and Vendors
REcommedations for programming help
Sierra Chart

wldman 
Chicago Illinois USA
Legendary Market Wizard

Experience: Advanced
Broker: IB, ToS
Trading: /ES, US Equities/Options
Frequency: Several times daily
Duration: Hours
Thanks Given: 2,048
Thanks Received: 9,516

Funny. Since I was shocked to be wrong "old", I called three guys that used to be in that crowd. One said he thinks they are switching to all electronic but was not sure what would happen to regular contract. The two other guys, like me, new the demise was certain, but had NO IDEA Sept WAS the end.

We all had a good laugh on that.

-Dan

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
ondafringe
Albuquerque, NM, USA

Thanks Given: 87
Thanks Received: 117

As for position limits on ES being 100 contracts, all I see is 100 contracts is a "Reporting Level." I don't see a "Position Limit" unless I'm reading it wrong.

Following is a link to d/l a CME spreadsheet:

CME Position Limits and Reporting Levels

And "Reporting Level" doesn't *sound* like it affects the trader, but not certain.

Following is a link to a CME PDF:

Difference between "Position Limit" and "Reporting Level"

Thanked by:
Howard Roark
Oslo Norway

Thanks Given: 393
Thanks Received: 532

I'm sure there are traders who move that kind of volume.

I'm curious how liquid/scaleable ES really is though. If you're intraday swing trading your strategy should be perfectly scaleable, but I'm not so sure a scalping strategy necessarily scales from 5 contracts to 150 contracts. Anyone know?

eventtrading
Sacramento CA USA

Thanks Given: 1
Thanks Received: 11

Avi24 View Post
Hiya! I'm new to FIO and a relative newbie to trading. Ive got a question and hope I dont sound to naive..
I currently trade the ES futures market so my question is regarding the ES.
I've been trying to understand why more people dont trade 150-200 contracts at a time. When watching the DOM I see a decent amount of such orders. Yet,from what Ive seen,most retail traders dont buy in such large quantities. Why dont people generally scale up to large level orders like those? Is it because of slippage? Partial fills? Personal ceiling? I dont really think it would move the market in any way,so with proper risk management,why not? What am I missing? Basically,why arent people making millions by trading a large amount of contracts?

"Money for nothing and the chicks for free" Gotta have money to make money, bro. The trade cost for futures contracts is quite small, unfortunately you gotta have collateral, aka Margin, to cover the trade in case he goes South.

goodoboy
Houston

Thanks Given: 344
Thanks Received: 246

Avi24 View Post
Hiya! I'm new to FIO and a relative newbie to trading. Ive got a question and hope I dont sound to naive..
I currently trade the ES futures market so my question is regarding the ES.
I've been trying to understand why more people dont trade 150-200 contracts at a time. When watching the DOM I see a decent amount of such orders. Yet,from what Ive seen,most retail traders dont buy in such large quantities. Why dont people generally scale up to large level orders like those? Is it because of slippage? Partial fills? Personal ceiling? I dont really think it would move the market in any way,so with proper risk management,why not? What am I missing? Basically,why arent people making millions by trading a large amount of contracts?

Good question.

This is always been my goal. I am starting to realize that trading 100 contracts is my ONLY goal.

josh 
Georgia, US
Legendary Market Wizard

Experience: None
Platform: SC
Broker: Denali+Rithmic
Trading: ES, NQ, YM
Thanks Given: 6,779
Thanks Received: 18,241

goodoboy View Post
Good question.

This is always been my goal. I am starting to realize that trading 100 contracts is my ONLY goal.

Maybe good to make the distinction that the goal would ideally be to understand what work needs to be done, and then execute that, such that one can trade 100 contracts successfully.

goodoboy
Houston

Thanks Given: 344
Thanks Received: 246

josh View Post
Maybe good to make the distinction that the goal would ideally be to understand what work needs to be done, and then execute that, such that one can trade 100 contracts successfully.

Hello Josh,

Thanks for the feed back.

It is ALOT of work Trading. ALOT.

lol, I'll be happy staying consistent with my little 1-2 contracts for now.

Thanked by:
Frances8
Reno, Nevada

Thanks Given: 2
Thanks Received: 1

Would be great as long as you can manage the risk.

SBtrader82   is a Vendor

Thanks Given: 222
Thanks Received: 1,333

I was reading "unknown market wizards", the latest book by Jack Schwager....and I came across this passage (see the line highlighted in red):

Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

Last Updated on January 26, 2022

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts