NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Futures Algo trading vs Option trading (SteadyOptions style?)

Discussion in Options

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one Symple with 4 posts (4 thanks)
    2. looks_two pum267 with 3 posts (2 thanks)
    3. looks_3 kevinkdog with 2 posts (1 thanks)
    4. looks_4 bobwest with 2 posts (3 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one bobwest with 1.5 thanks per post
    2. looks_two Symple with 1 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 pum267 with 0.7 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 kevinkdog with 0.5 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 4,146 views
    2. thumb_up 10 thanks given
    3. group 3 followers
    1. forum 10 posts
    2. attach_file 0 attachments

Search this Thread

Futures Algo trading vs Option trading (SteadyOptions style?)

pum267
Florida, Miami

Thanks Given: 4
Thanks Received: 2

Hello,

I have plenty of time on my hand and want to get into either Algo trading with futures or Options trading SteadyOptions style, what would you recommend and what questions should I ask myself to help me decide?

Thanks!

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
Exit Strategy
NinjaTrader
Trade idea based off three indicators.
Traders Hideout
How to apply profiles
Traders Hideout
MC PL editor upgrade
MultiCharts
Pivot Indicator like the old SwingTemp by Big Mike
NinjaTrader

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Spoo-nalysis ES e-mini futures S&P 500
32 thanks
Just another trading journal: PA, Wyckoff & Trends
26 thanks
Tao te Trade: way of the WLD
24 thanks
Bigger Wins or Fewer Losses?
23 thanks
GFIs1 1 DAX trade per day journal
19 thanks
Symple
Zuerich / Switzerland

Thanks Given: 1,327
Thanks Received: 2,313

pum267 View Post
Hello,

I have plenty of time on my hand and want to get into either Algo trading with futures or Options trading SteadyOptions style, what would you recommend and what questions should I ask myself to help me decide?

Thanks!

@pum267

Well, that's one of the question like the one at the roulette table: Do I take green or red or what do I do?

Fun beside: In order to answer, from who ever, such a question only somewhat meaningfully in your sense, it needs some more information about your person, even personality and about your previous knowledge that you bring with you. This can also be knowledge from your professional life, especially when it comes to mathematics, programming or analyzing things. Such knowledge is even helpful when it comes to abstract thinking or to be able to plan strategies on any used matrix.

Symple

Thanked by:
pum267
Florida, Miami

Symple View Post
@pum267

Well, that's one of the question like the one at the roulette table: Do I take green or red or what do I do?

Fun beside: In order to answer, from who ever, such a question only somewhat meaningfully in your sense, it needs some more information about your person, even personality and about your previous knowledge that you bring with you. This can also be knowledge from your professional life, especially when it comes to mathematics, programming or analyzing things. Such knowledge is even helpful when it comes to abstract thinking or to be able to plan strategies on any used matrix.

Symple

Hey,

Thank you for the response!

I do have coding knowledge and I do have a background in IT, UI/UX design prior to starting my local business. I know you must be thinking why the two comparisons, I am asking this question because I have a few businesses that I run and wanted to invest some of the money made into education and the market, I won't be investing much money at first, but a little to start and test my skills. I know trading is not the easiest way to make money.

If I was to go the Algo trading route I will be trading futures, I have a few education content/courses, that I will be using in conjunction with this forum, if I was to go the options route, I will be the steady options forum and content.

I just don't want to do into Algo futures trading or options and then regret it. I want to invest my time wisely in something that will be worth it in the long term, NOT just a quick buck.

Thanks

Thanked by:
Symple
Zuerich / Switzerland

@pum267

If it were up to me and from what I've read here now from you, I would say that you could very likely find your home in Algo Trading, especially with your experience in IT and UI/UX design.

I come from the other area you mentioned and these are options. You mention "Steady Options."

You might want to take a look at the book: "The Bible of options strategies" by "Guy Cohen". There you will notice very quickly what you are getting into and how far this may be compatible with your already existing skills and knowledge.

To go one step further, since this what you see there in the book, as well as in the Youtoube videos only the basis is before the curtain, then you may also be interested in the next level in the business. Therefore, here is another book tip under the title: "Options Trading, the hidden reality" from Charles M. Cottle.

To give you a visual insight, I'll show you just as an example how to plan your trades on a matrix, without going into detail, because you have addressed "Steady Options" and what you will see in the screen shots, even without details, how it happens and it planed behind the curtain.

If you want to trade options, you are probably better served if you are interested in simple buying "puts" and "calls" for the first time and less for the more complex option strategies. By simply buying options you have the opportunity to make your first experience in the market with small value "OTM" options. Small tip: Calls rather close to the market and Puts can also be further away from the market, because the market usually falls faster than it still goes up. If you do not like this idea, then you best concentrate on pure "Put and Call credit or debit spreads" as the risk is low.

So, this is my "2 cents" on the subject and also to give you a certain, realistic look at what you want to get involved in, especially when it comes to "Steady Option" strategies. Other surely will jump in with more, specific comments.

Now I wish you all the best and good luck with your decision, in whatever direction it goes.

Symple

Thanked by:
 kevinkdog   is a Vendor

Thanks Given: 1,892
Thanks Received: 7,358

Why does it have to be "either/or" - why can't you pursue both at first?

The 2 alternatives seem to be completely different things: one is "just follow our signals" and the other is "do it yourself" - which one suits you more?

With the options service, once you do your due diligence (are those performance numbers real? Is the November 20 "closing the doors" real?), maybe sign up for a month and see how well you can duplicate the trades in your own account (options are notorious for showing prices you can't actually get filled at, making many results bogus).

With the algo trading route, make sure you are learning from someone who actually trades. There are a ton of cheap courses on udemy and coursera which are created by people who do not even trade!

Follow me on Twitter Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
pum267
Florida, Miami

Symple View Post
@pum267

Symple

kevinkdog View Post
Why does it have to be "either/or" - why can't you pursue both at first?

The 2 alternatives seem to be completely different things: one is "just follow our signals" and the other is "do it yourself" - which one suits you more?

With the options service, once you do your due diligence (are those performance numbers real? Is the November 20 "closing the doors" real?), maybe sign up for a month and see how well you can duplicate the trades in your own account (options are notorious for showing prices you can't actually get filled at, making many results bogus).

With the algo trading route, make sure you are learning from someone who actually trades. There are a ton of cheap courses on udemy and coursera which are created by people who do not even trade!

Hey,

Steady Options is by no way following my signals. He teaches you how to fish and does not want to just follow signals.

I did a free trial and think it's great.

As for Algo trading, I have more than enough content for free and some paid stuff too, I am not a fan of Udemy or Coursera, I plan to get a few paid stuff from people I've done my due diligence on.

I have read into both and I am leaning towards Algo trading.

Thanks!

Thanked by:
 kevinkdog   is a Vendor

Thanks Given: 1,892
Thanks Received: 7,358

pum267 View Post
Hey,

Steady Options is by no way following my signals. He teaches you how to fish and does not want to just follow signals.

I did a free trial and think it's great.

As for Algo trading, I have more than enough content for free and some paid stuff too, I am not a fan of Udemy or Coursera, I plan to get a few paid stuff from people I've done my due diligence on.

I have read into both and I am leaning towards Algo trading.

Thanks!

Awesome! Sounds like you have it all figured out.

Good Luck to you!!!

Follow me on Twitter Reply With Quote

bobwest 
Western Florida
Site Moderator

Experience: Advanced
Platform: Sierra Chart
Trading: ES, YM
Frequency: Several times daily
Duration: Minutes
Thanks Given: 57,457
Thanks Received: 26,278

pum267 View Post
Hello,

Symple View Post
So, this is my "2 cents" on the subject and also to give you a certain, realistic look at what you want to get involved in, especially when it comes to "Steady Option" strategies.

I believe that the "SteadyOptions style" referred to has to do with a particular website, https://steadyoptions.com/ , which is an options advisory service.

Is this correct, @pum267? Since not many people trade options on this forum, the service referred to may not be very well-known here, and you may not get much feedback directly related to them.

Algo trading with futures is another matter. You may need to look around some and ask more specific questions, but there is a lot of this being done.

Good luck. Hope you find what you need.

Bob.

When one door closes, another opens.
-- Cervantes, Don Quixote
Thanked by:
Symple
Zuerich / Switzerland

@bobwest

You may missed this part of the mentioned page: https://steadyoptions.com/so/

And then we are back about what my posting was about.

Symple

Thanked by:

bobwest 
Western Florida
Site Moderator

Experience: Advanced
Platform: Sierra Chart
Trading: ES, YM
Frequency: Several times daily
Duration: Minutes
Thanks Given: 57,457
Thanks Received: 26,278

Symple View Post
@bobwest

You may missed this part of the mentioned page: https://steadyoptions.com/so/

And then we are back about what my posting was about.

Symple

@Symple, thanks, you're right.

By the way, I am glad that you have the knowledge of options that you do. It helps to fill in gaps in the more futures-oriented coverage of topics on the forum.

Bob.

When one door closes, another opens.
-- Cervantes, Don Quixote
Thanked by:

Last Updated on November 7, 2021

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts