NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

General bond / interest rate discussion

Discussion in Treasury Notes and Bonds

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one Schnook with 18 posts (31 thanks)
    2. looks_two SMCJB with 7 posts (13 thanks)
    3. looks_3 SpeculatorSeth with 4 posts (6 thanks)
    4. looks_4 trade888 with 3 posts (5 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one Symple with 3 thanks per post
    2. looks_two SMCJB with 1.9 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 Schnook with 1.7 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 SpeculatorSeth with 1.5 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 8,644 views
    2. thumb_up 61 thanks given
    3. group 11 followers
    1. forum 36 posts
    2. attach_file 25 attachments

Search this Thread

General bond / interest rate discussion

Schnook 
Munich, Germany

Experience: Advanced
Platform: Sierra Chart
Broker: Interactive Brokers
Trading: liquid products
Thanks Given: 1,166
Thanks Received: 1,917

SMCJB View Post
Can you imagine the impact that scenario would have on the US deficit? Which raises the question would the Fed allow that to happen?

Yes and no

It used to be a conspiracy theory that the folks who compile the inflation data are intentionally understating actual inflation, but now this is largely accepted as fact by many professional economists and investors.

They use tricks like the "trimmed mean" and hedonics. So one category that sees a 10% rise in prices is simply tossed (I mean "trimmed") from the data while another category is massaged down from 10% to 2% because you have more pixels in your TV, or a faster load-rate for the ads on your iPad.

Seriously look into the hedonics adjustments. They basically inply that a TV today costs only 1% of what it cost a generation ago. No joke.

Anyway, by consistently understating inflation, the government that calculates inflation actually helps out the government's finances. Because the inflation liability (cost of living adjustments on government pensions, entitlements and social security) is way understated, while the inflation asset, or income stream from taxes grows at the same rate of actual inflation.

Pretty clever, huh?

But yeah this is why no one believes the official government inflation data anymore. It's like trusting and alcoholic to tell you how much he's had to drink every night.

EDITED TO ADD:
Regarding your comment about the Fed, you're absolutely right that they will never allow things to spiral too far out of control in the bond markets. Citing threats to the recovery, financial stability concerns, tougher credit conditions for homebuyers, consumers and small businesses, the Fed will have plenty of euphemistic excuses for bailing out an over-indebted and insolvent Treasury. But I do expect the market, eventually, to test them and find out just where that pain point (or strike price for the Fed put) really is

Started this thread Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
Trade idea based off three indicators.
Traders Hideout
NT7 Indicator Script Troubleshooting - Camarilla Pivots
NinjaTrader
Better Renko Gaps
The Elite Circle
MC PL editor upgrade
MultiCharts
Pivot Indicator like the old SwingTemp by Big Mike
NinjaTrader

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Diary of a simple price action trader
26 thanks
Just another trading journal: PA, Wyckoff & Trends
24 thanks
Tao te Trade: way of the WLD
22 thanks
My NQ Trading Journal
16 thanks
HumbleTraders next chapter
9 thanks
 trade888 
Vancouver + Canada

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: Sierra
Trading: CL UB ES
Thanks Given: 880
Thanks Received: 115

Interesting that in the last year and a half while the Fed has been buying bonds to "stabilize" the market; MOVE has actually gone up.
If the rate of change of the Fed BS decreases (eg less stabilization) will MOVE go up further?

"Fed BS new ATH - MOVE new recent high

More of the same. Fed's balance sheet printing new all time highs, and bond volatility (MOVE index) printing new recent highs.

This remains one of Powell's nightmare charts as Fed can't control bond volatility..."

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
 SpeculatorSeth   is a Vendor

Thanks Given: 22
Thanks Received: 1,018

SMCJB View Post
Can you imagine the impact that scenario would have on the US deficit? Which raises the question would the Fed allow that to happen?

Yes but remember that the 10 year is only at 1.6% right now. At some point it becomes a problem, but I don't think they're there yet. I've seen many people estimate that at 3% we have a problem.

At the moment I'm more concerned about a Feb 2018 like move occurring. If the increase in rates continues at the pace it has the past week I can easily see volatility in treasuries getting out of control, and liquidity in the markets pulling again. Not that I'm saying I think it's going to happen. Just that when I look at possible risk events for treasuries in the near to mid future I see plenty of problems hitting before the US deficit becomes a serious problem.

- SpeculatorSeth
Thanked by:

Schnook 
Munich, Germany

Market has firmed, and I remain constructive going into next week. Once again it's the positioning story (everyone is short bonds, some will be forced to cover or reduce risk) as well as near-term supply dynamics and some cyclical factors that inform my view. The supply and cyclical factors will shift bearish again come early December but until then I will continue to favor longs.

Price action is also supportive with ZF breaking out of a basing pattern on the hourly and ZN putting in what looks like a good double-bottom on the daily charts. This kind of price action suggests to me that pullbacks should be bought.

ZF, 120 min:

ZN, Daily:

Thanked by:

Schnook 
Munich, Germany

....aaaaand I just dumped the last of my (small) long into this morning's rising wedge because I just can't stand wedgies

Hopefully I'll get an opportunity to reload at a more comfortable entry point

Edit: obviously early here with my exit. Possible failed breakout / bull trap on ES overnight and renewed lockdown fears in Europe have created a strong risk-off tone in the markets today. Crude off sharply as well. My prior plan had been to re-enter longs down around VWAP but I'm not sure if we'll get back down there. So, sidelined for now...

Thanked by:
 SpeculatorSeth   is a Vendor

Thanks Given: 22
Thanks Received: 1,018

I think we might be so concerned about the short term direction of interest rates that we're missing a potentially more important story about the liquidity side. There wasn't many economic releases this week, but we still had a decent amount of volatility. Especially when Austria went back into lockdown and Germany said they're not ruling anything out. That was a pretty massive move overnight, and that led to a slippery options expiration Friday session. We had a hawkish move when the White House said they're going to tackle inflation, and we had other moves when Fed speakers were talking.

I am very concerned about the latent liquidity in the treasury market right now. What they're showing on the DOM at around 3,000 lots per level in the 10 year is ok, but when you see how much actually trades it's pathetic. If that's what they're doing now, how is this market going to function when we're getting real rate normalization?

- SpeculatorSeth
Thanked by:

Schnook 
Munich, Germany

You bring up a good point, as bank balance sheets haven't grown nearly as fast as the Fed's, so the moment the Fed start's withdrawing liquidity and buyside accounts lean on the street to provide more balance sheet, things will get very sloppy out there in Treasury-land

Thanked by:

SMCJB 
Houston TX
Legendary Market Wizard

Platform: TT and Stellar
Broker: Advantage Futures
Trading: Primarily Energy but also a little Equities, Fixed Income, Metals and Crypto.
Frequency: Many times daily
Duration: Never
Thanks Given: 4,381
Thanks Received: 10,205

Just listened to this excellent 3 part (each almost an hour) CME Webinar on the STIR (Short Term Interest Rate) Futures complex available to trade at CME. Probably something here for everyone. I personally learnt a lot about the pricing of SOFR futures and their relationship to Eurodollars (which was mostly in part 2).

https://www.cmegroup.com/education/videos/archive-short-term-interest-rate-futures-webinar-series.html

trade888 
Vancouver + Canada

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: Sierra
Trading: CL UB ES
Thanks Given: 880
Thanks Received: 115

ZB left the up swing on 11-15 and backtested the channel on 11-19.
AB=CD of this down move would indicate a target at 157-19 which is also S3 this week.
ZB doesn't often go to S3 in a week so perhaps it takes a few days to get there.
Broke the lows today of 11-17 and 11-3.
Next low is 10-21 ; just a touch lower than the AB=CD target
ZBZ21_FUT_CME[M] 60 Min #17 2021-11-23 14_25_12.141

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

Schnook 
Munich, Germany

Today's headlines about this new South African variant came out of nowhere, catching a lot of people off guard. It was squeezy. Thin, post-holiday market conditions certainly exaggerated the moves.

One thing that has been very clear for a while now is that the "crowd" is underweight fixed income and / or short duration. What isn't clear to me is which part of the the curve those shorts were concentrated in.

If you were betting on a more hawkish Fed, you were probably short the front end or in bear-flattener curve expressions, which have done quite well in the past few months, and you can still book some decent profits here. But if you were short the long end or in a steepener, based perhaps on the view that inflation would be higher or more persistent than expected, you may have actually lost money, despite being "right" on your fundamental call. I suspect that a lot of weaker-handed players found themselves in this camp. The typical retail futures trader, for example, isn't selling Eurodollar calendars. He's more likely to just short a bond contract or two because that's where you get the most bang for your buck (max DV01).

Since most money managers, financial advisors etc measure performance on a monthly or quarterly basis, let's take a quick look at where we are since the end of the last quarter.

° EDM22 (June '22 Eurodollar contract) is currently down 22 basis points (price) from its Q3 (Sep. 30) close
° ZT is down more than 10/32nds from its Q3 (Sep. 30) close
° ZF is down 29/32nds from its Q3 (Sep. 30) close
° ZN is down 12/32nds from its Q3 (Sep. 30) close
° ZB is UP more than 3 3/4 points from its Q3 (Sep. 30) close! Yikes!

With only two more trading days in November I wouldn't be surprised to see some continuation of this move. Whenever you see a big range-expanding green candle closing on its highs, it's a pretty good bet that the move ain't done yet and has at least a little more to go. Month-end could add a sense of urgency for underperforming money managers who don't want to have to explain to their clients why they're still short here.

Hope you guys all did OK today

Thanked by:

Last Updated on March 7, 2022

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts