NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Interesting facts from various topics

Discussion in Off-Topic

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one Symple with 97 posts (74 thanks)
    2. looks_two Phylos with 8 posts (0 thanks)
    3. looks_3 bobwest with 3 posts (7 thanks)
    4. looks_4 Silver Dragon with 1 posts (3 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one Silver Dragon with 3 thanks per post
    2. looks_two bobwest with 2.3 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 MrTrader with 2 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 Symple with 0.8 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 16,942 views
    2. thumb_up 91 thanks given
    3. group 9 followers
    1. forum 106 posts
    2. attach_file 3 attachments

Search this Thread

Interesting facts from various topics

Symple
Zuerich / Switzerland

Thanks Given: 1,315
Thanks Received: 2,286

The media before and after 2022

Symple

Thanked by:

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
Futures True Range Report
The Elite Circle
New Micros: Ultra 10-Year & Ultra T-Bond -- Live Now
Treasury Notes and Bonds
The space time continuum and the dynamics of a financial …
Emini and Emicro Index
Are there any eval firms that allow you to sink to your …
Traders Hideout
My NT8 Volume Profile Split by Asian/Euro/Open
NinjaTrader

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Get funded firms 2023/2024 - Any recommendations or word …
65 thanks
Funded Trader platforms
41 thanks
Battlestations: Show us your trading desks!
29 thanks
NexusFi site changelog and issues/problem reporting
23 thanks
The Program
19 thanks

Symple
Zuerich / Switzerland

In general: 13 % of world population has demanded US and EU sanctions on Russia:

Symple

Thanked by:
Symple
Zuerich / Switzerland

Do you know the answer:

0.75 liters in the normal wine bottle. Why?

Symple

MrTrader 
ITAJAI SC/BRAZIL

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: NinjaTrader
Broker: Clear Corretora
Trading: DOLFUT, WINFUT
Thanks Given: 1,314
Thanks Received: 225

Symple View Post
Do you know the answer:

Symple

If it was 1L we would get drunk and 0.75 not?

Sent using the NexusFi mobile app

Thanked by:

bobwest 
Western Florida
Site Moderator

Experience: Advanced
Platform: Sierra Chart
Trading: ES, YM
Frequency: Several times daily
Duration: Minutes
Thanks Given: 57,335
Thanks Received: 26,267

Symple View Post
Do you know the answer:

Symple

In the US, all standard liquor and wine bottles used to be "a fifth" -- which meant one-fifth of a gallon.

My handy Google-supplied gallon to liter calculator gives the value of 0.2 gal = 0.7570823568 liter.

I recall back when a bottle of wine in the US measured a "fifth", although it wasn't called that, and then when it changed to .750 liters. I assumed at the time, and still do, that the near-equivalence of these measures made it easy for US bottlers to go to the non-gallon measure, since it was almost the same. And probably this meant that European bottles could just be imported with the standard international measure.

No real idea what the story was in Europe, which had been on liters since around Napoleon's day, so the question of why .750 liters is not necessarily settled by the gallon-bottle standard. But these numbers are not likely to be coincidental.

Bob.

When one door closes, another opens.
-- Cervantes, Don Quixote
Thanked by:
Symple
Zuerich / Switzerland

Funny answer from @MrTrader and yes, this is certainly true for people from Asia, as most Asians are not wine drinkers as we have been here in Europe for centuries. This has to do with farming as we have done here for a long time and Asian people got much more fast drunk with little amount of wine compare to Europeans.

@bobwest, you are not wrong, but you are not on the right track either.

Symple

bobwest 
Western Florida
Site Moderator

Symple View Post
Do you know the answer:

Symple

bobwest View Post
In the US, all standard liquor and wine bottles used to be "a fifth" -- which meant one-fifth of a gallon.

My handy Google-supplied gallon to liter calculator gives the value of 0.2 gal = 0.7570823568 liter.

No real idea what the story was in Europe, which had been on liters since around Napoleon's day, so the question of why .750 liters is not necessarily settled by the gallon-bottle standard. But these numbers are not likely to be coincidental.

Bob.

Symple View Post
@bobwest, you are not wrong, but you are not on the right track either.

Symple

Ok, so what's the answer?

There's no point teasing us with it, there are not many people hanging on in suspense for it. Well, I am, but probably not many normal people.

If you've got an answer, let's have it. I've wondered about this since, I'm not sure, maybe the 1980's, so I expect it to be good.... Don't disappoint.

Bob.

Thanked by:

bobwest 
Western Florida
Site Moderator

Symple View Post
Do you know the answer:

Symple

All right, since the urgent question of the wine bottle size has been raised (and not answered), I went to the source of answers, Google. I posed the question "Why is the standard wine bottle size 750 ml".

The first answer when I typed it was https://gratsi.com/blogs/all/wine-bottle-history-750ml.

To save time for anyone who is following this, I will quote the part that most supports what I thought ( ):

Quoting 
It wasn’t until the 1970s that there became a more uniform type of wine bottle. As exporting and importing wine became more common in Europe and the United States, different sized bottles became increasingly problematic for customs and taxing. To make the importation and taxation process more efficient, a standard size was needed.

As a result, in 1975 European legislation required that wine could only be sold in certain sized containers, and of those, the 750 ml became the preferred size. In 1979, to help with the process and seemingly as part of the United States’ efforts to move towards the metric system, there was a mandate that wine bottles must contain 750 ml of wine. Not surprisingly, this quickly became the global standard because it made exporting to the United States easier.

This history helps to understand how the 750 ml bottle became the standard size, but it still doesn’t explain why. There are a number of theories attempting to explain this unusual size:

Some people believe that this size has Roman origins and was selected because it’s one-fifth of a gallon, which was an ideal size for people to transport.

I don't believe the "Roman origins" theory, because I don't think that "gallons" were a Roman measurement. Maybe they were, but this sounds like it was sort of made up as an explanation. But they were (and are still today) a US measurement for liquids. If you buy milk in the US, the container is typically a half-gallon. And one-fifth of a gallon is 750 ml.

The European legislation history does sound historically correct, but can we nail this down further to this particular number?. So why did they choose this number?

From the same site, it goes on to say:

Quoting 
Others suggest that the size has to do with the lung capacity of glass blowers. Before glass became industrialized, it was made by artisans who personally blew the glass. The lung capacity of a glass blower was around 600-800 ml, so one theory is that this size originally developed based on the lung capacity of these artisans.
Another theory is that the wine bottle was historically based on how much wine people would consume at a meal, so it was intended as a serving size for a single sitting.

OK, so that's either about the lung capacity of the glass blowers or the drinking capacity of the drinkers. Hard to know how to decide between these, and I don't know anything about the lung capacity of glass blowers, but what you could drink before you fall over sounds close to right. Check mark for that one.

Not everything on Google is always right of course, but here's some more: (https://www.grifomarchetti.eu/why-is-wine-sold-0-75-liter-bottles/.)

Quoting 
Let’s start by saying that there is definitely no correct answer but there are several theories about it. Some, for example, point to the pattern at 1700, when the bottles were still blown by craftsmen. According to this theory, glass blowers with their lung capacity and strength would not be able to exceed 65-75 cl or higher than this capacity. To have the largest possible containers, it has opted for 75 cl bottles.

Yet another theory is linked to the gallon, the unity that in the Anglo-Saxon world measures the liquids. One gallon divided by six gives 757 milliliters, each wine case could contain only 2 gallons and the Englishmen decided to put 12 bottles per box, 0.75 for each bottle. Others argue that the cause should be attributed to the mescine: once the classic glass of wine was 125 ml, then that size contained six glasses.

The last theory, the most supported by drinkers, believed it was the right quantity for a man’s meal.

There may be other theories. If this brief sampling says anything, there will be many, and no good reason to choose between them except one's personal taste and sense of humor.

Let me add a comment on the "glass blower's lung capacity" theory: again, in the US, a "fifth" was a common standard bottle size for all alcoholic beverages, but one that was (and is) very common for whisky was the quart, or quarter gallon. One quart equals a bit more that a "fifth" (0.25 for a quarter gallon vs. 0.20 gallon for a fifth), but glass makers had to blow them both, and 0.25 gal = 946.353 ml, a bit more, getting close to a liter. (I somewhat think that bigger bottles were blown too, because there was a market for them.) So I am inclined to think that the bottle size had more to do with what would sell than with the lung capacity of the bottle blowers.

------------------

This is a whole lot of words for essentially nothing. But it's what I have. There may be other theories, which is OK by me.

Bob.

Thanked by:
Symple
Zuerich / Switzerland

@bobwest

Yep, this is a huge answer for a little, tiny question. Thanks for your effort and time to do so.

I do not know about all this theories you mentioed here, but I have the following about the topic:

- For centuries, the English imported wine from France (Bordeaux) by ship.
- Their unit of measurement was the "Imperial Gallon", about 4.55 liters.
- So they built barrels with a capacity of 50 gallons = 225 liters = 1 barrique = 300 bottles of 0.75 liters each.
- For an Imperial Gallon, you need 6 bottles of 0.75 liters each.
- Hence the custom of packing bottles in cases of six or twelve. One or two gallons.
- During the discussions in the EU about the filling quantity, the British prevailed with their proposal.

As the topic has to do with wine, following a little, special story:

Man lives to 107 'by only drinking red wine'

A recently-deceased 107-year-old Spanish attributed his long-life to drinking four bottles of wine each day and never drinking water. Antonio Docampo García, who died last week in Vigo, northwestern Spain, said he only imbibed his own homemade red wine.

Mr Docampo would drink two bottles of red wine with his lunch and another two with dinner. "He could drink a liter and a half all at once," his son, Miguel Docampo López told La Voz de Galicia. "When we were both at home we could get through 200 litres of wine a month," he added. "He never drank water."

The full article you will find here: https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/man-lives-to-107-by-only-drinking-red-wine-a6854906.html

Well then, cheers, and have a nice Sunday

Symple

Thanked by:
Symple
Zuerich / Switzerland

"The horse does not eat cucumber salad".

Is this scientifically proven or where does this very famous statement or even knowledge come from, if it is even one of each at all ?

Symple

Last Updated on April 9, 2023

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts