NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Why isn't the NQ-ES spread tracking the percentage difference between NQ and ES?

Discussion in Platforms and Indicators

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one alphagamma with 6 posts (1 thanks)
    2. looks_two JPStructure with 2 posts (0 thanks)
    3. looks_3 josh with 2 posts (4 thanks)
    4. looks_4 qsceszwasdx with 1 posts (0 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one josh with 2 thanks per post
    2. looks_two SMCJB with 1 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 bobwest with 1 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 alphagamma with 0.2 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 15,830 views
    2. thumb_up 7 thanks given
    3. group 7 followers
    1. forum 13 posts
    2. attach_file 2 attachments

Search this Thread

Why isn't the NQ-ES spread tracking the percentage difference between NQ and ES?

alphagamma
London, UK

Thanks Given: 1
Thanks Received: 1

I took a screenshot of tradingview with the two spreads NQ/ES (blue) and RTY/YM (orange) and the super spread (NQ/ES)/(RTY/YM) in black.

The super spread seems to track the difference between the two spreads just fine... It always touches 0% as soon as the normal spreads get back together. Please disregard the first cyan circles, as I mixed up the lines a bit...

But I understand, it's probably only good to track the differences from a theoretical point of view, once you want to build a position, you gotta pay close attention to the notional values and how they might impact these percentage calculations...

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
Increase in trading performance by 75%
The Elite Circle
NT7 Indicator Script Troubleshooting - Camarilla Pivots
NinjaTrader
Exit Strategy
NinjaTrader
Trade idea based off three indicators.
Traders Hideout
How to apply profiles
Traders Hideout

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Just another trading journal: PA, Wyckoff & Trends
31 thanks
Spoo-nalysis ES e-mini futures S&P 500
28 thanks
Tao te Trade: way of the WLD
24 thanks
Bigger Wins or Fewer Losses?
20 thanks
GFIs1 1 DAX trade per day journal
17 thanks
 JPStructure   is a Vendor

Thanks Received: 7

alphagamma View Post
Dude, Josh!!! That's a slam dunk!

Your explanation makes it easy to understand. Don't know why I didn't think of that appraoch myself...

Dividing really yields the results that I want! Now I understand the logic behind the spread constructs with 2 tickers. What if I add 4 tickers to the equation?

For example, If I want to track the difference between NQ-ES and RTY-YM, what should I enter then? (NQ1!/ES1!)/(RTY1!/YM1!)? Is that correct?

So buying that spread (NQ1!/ES1!)/(RTY1!/YM1!) results in being long NQ-ES and being short RTY-YM?

What about 3 tickers: 2*ES-YM-NQ?

you have to be sure the Value of each tick of Spread that you are buying/ selling.
after being market neutral, you can crop the Volatility

SMCJB 
Houston TX
Legendary Market Wizard

Experience: Advanced
Platform: TT and Stellar
Broker: Advantage Futures
Trading: Primarily Energy but also a little Equities, Fixed Income, Metals and Crypto.
Frequency: Many times daily
Duration: Never
Thanks Given: 4,386
Thanks Received: 10,206

You can't/shouldn't use percentage or ratio's with continuous contracts, where the continuous contract is constructed by splicing together absolute price series. Every time there is a rollover all your historical percentages and ratio's will change, making any form of historical back testing obsolete.

Thanked by:
 JPStructure   is a Vendor

Thanks Received: 7

to make such calculation on spreads, you will need a CQG (CQG Qtrader, is on a transactional mode

alphagamma View Post
If I want to track the difference between the NQ and the ES futures on a percentage basis, I can type in NQ and add ES on top of it to see when the two futures are far apart. Is there a synthetic futures formula that would allow me to track the spread between NQ and ES in a systematic fashion?

I tried to use NQ-ES but this leads to some confusing, at least to me, results:

As you can see, the 2 (ES orange, NQ magenta) futures and the NQ-ES spread (blue line) start out at 0% but, even though the ES and NQ drift apart and meet once again, as indicated by the green circles, the blue line (the spread), doesn't fall back to the 0% line as it should, because the gap between NQ and ES is closed at the green circled spots.

Why isn't the NQ-ES spread at 0% once NQ and ES meet and above zero (in case NQ gets stronger than ES) and below zero (in case NQ gets weaker than ES)?

Last Updated on April 8, 2022

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts