NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Recommended Windows VPS for NinjaTrader 8. For $7-$12 /month. PiVPS? CheapWindowsVPS?

Discussion in Traders Hideout

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one futurenow with 10 posts (4 thanks)
    2. looks_two DanDaMan with 4 posts (7 thanks)
    3. looks_3 TradingThomas with 4 posts (4 thanks)
    4. looks_4 planetkill with 2 posts (5 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one sam028 with 6 thanks per post
    2. looks_two planetkill with 2.5 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 DanDaMan with 1.8 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 futurenow with 0.4 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 13,653 views
    2. thumb_up 30 thanks given
    3. group 17 followers
    1. forum 28 posts
    2. attach_file 4 attachments

Search this Thread

Recommended Windows VPS for NinjaTrader 8. For $7-$12 /month. PiVPS? CheapWindowsVPS?

futurenow
Earth planet

Thanks Given: 38
Thanks Received: 13

Thank you @DanDaMan for all your contributions that I think help to everyone that read the content of the thread.

DanDaMan View Post
As a side note- you mentioned you are worried about your server crashing or not responding etc… Well then you would need server monitoring that will alert you the instant this happens if it does- which is an extra cost.

About server monitoring tools I think you mean to those like the listed in these sites, for example:

https://www.dnsstuff.com/free-server-monitoring-tools

https://www.webfx.com/blog/web-design/free-server-monitoring-tools/

Btw, feedback about any tested server monitoring tool is welcome for anyone who reads this thread.

DanDaMan View Post
Also, depending on what you are doing and the kind of data your are accumulating etc- you need to consider a backup solution, or some sort of roll-back/snapshot. You don’t want setup/optimization time, and gathered datasets to disappear. But now this is going further than the original scope of your question.

Secondly, about this point talking about backup solutions, I started another thread here, just in case you could contribute with ideas:

As said there, about backup, one possible quick solution could be use your own virtual machine to be able to quickly transfer your whole Windows workspace from a VPS to other VPS or to a local virtual machine, in order to restore in minutes everything exactly as you was in the last previous state, but the issue with this possible solution is the fact a VPS is already like a virtual machine space and I see they say the hardware don't allow or don't fully allow nested virtualization because hardware performance problems etc. I don't know about others alternatives because yes the VPS company would offer its own backup solution but the idea is be able to migrate and transfer the data to any other VPS company or to a local PC, so a kind of universal Windows-based solution, and what I've thought is that if a solution like a virtual machine (VMware, VirtualBox,...) could work, then this kind of backup/migration situations would be solved.

You can reply in that thread with any idea, please

Thank you very much

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
Trade idea based off three indicators.
Traders Hideout
REcommedations for programming help
Sierra Chart
Better Renko Gaps
The Elite Circle
How to apply profiles
Traders Hideout
MC PL editor upgrade
MultiCharts

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Just another trading journal: PA, Wyckoff & Trends
34 thanks
Tao te Trade: way of the WLD
24 thanks
Bigger Wins or Fewer Losses?
19 thanks
GFIs1 1 DAX trade per day journal
16 thanks
Vinny E-Mini & Algobox Review TRADE ROOM
13 thanks
futurenow
Earth planet

Thanks Given: 38
Thanks Received: 13

TradeTheLevel View Post
If I read your post correctly, and I'm sorry I did speed read. You just want to keep you ninja the same so you can have it ready to go on your PC if need be?

2 things come to mind. I don't use ninja but most professional charting packages have a backup option. Copy those files to the cloud. You can add drop box etc to the vps.

Second there are some cloud backup services. Some even offer a nice trial period. Use that service to back up the vps and then restore on your personal PC.

Just some ideas brother. Hope I could help in some aspect.

Thank you for your reply

Yes that's correct, NinjaTrader have backup options built into the platform, but I don't why sometimes the platform gets an error during the process to restore a backup. I've tried it several times in the last months and in my case it shows the error you can see in the attached picture:

And as you can see, the error says the name or path is too long, but the path I use is the default one and I've tried with some short 10-11 letters names for the backup file but still giving the same error, so I don't feel like I can trust in NinjaTrader 8 to have a reliable backup source.

However I like the idea to have a full backup of the system, including the OS and its settings, and in that way to be able to move your whole Windows workspace to another VPS or a local virtual machine you could have, and have everything restored, done and ready as its previous last working statem, and all this in just minutes.

I think some other traders could have similar situations like this, so I hope they could reply with their experiences about to manage a backup solution between VPS and local PC and vice versa.

Thank you

DanDaMan 
QC/Canada

Experience: Beginner
Platform: Sierra Chart, NinjaTrader
Trading: ES
Thanks Given: 327
Thanks Received: 193

futurenow View Post
Thank you @DanDaMan for all your contributions that I think help to everyone that read the content of the thread.

About server monitoring tools I think you mean to those like the listed in these sites, for example:

https://www.dnsstuff.com/free-server-monitoring-tools

https://www.webfx.com/blog/web-design/free-server-monitoring-tools/

Btw, feedback about any tested server monitoring tool is welcome for anyone who reads this thread.

Secondly, about this point talking about backup solutions, I started another thread here, just in case you could contribute with ideas:

As said there, about backup, one possible quick solution could be use your own virtual machine to be able to quickly transfer your whole Windows workspace from a VPS to other VPS or to a local virtual machine, in order to restore in minutes everything exactly as you was in the last previous state, but the issue with this possible solution is the fact a VPS is already like a virtual machine space and I see they say the hardware don't allow or don't fully allow nested virtualization because hardware performance problems etc. I don't know about others alternatives because yes the VPS company would offer its own backup solution but the idea is be able to migrate and transfer the data to any other VPS company or to a local PC, so a kind of universal Windows-based solution, and what I've thought is that if a solution like a virtual machine (VMware, VirtualBox,...) could work, then this kind of backup/migration situations would be solved.

You can reply in that thread with any idea, please

Thank you very much

The two threads are one and the same, so I will just answer here. BTW- you should just merge the two as they ask the same question.

I will be blunt about this- what you are asking for an answer for here is something much greater than anyone can cover in a forum reply. The subjects you are touching on take specialized knowledge to make them work together. Knowledge of multiple systems and technologies that go beyond what most traders would care to spend time on learning themselves.
The simplest solution for you would be to first figure out what you need your VPS for. Understand what kind of system resources you need to run your trading platform- and then you scale your VPS to this. I said this in my prior post- but i'll reiterate it here: sensitivity to latency is not something that will affect the vast majority of retail traders.

In my particular use case, latency was a major consideration- but not to the order gateways. I needed a low latency solution between myself and the server where my platform resides, and then I also had latency considerations on the server itself. Also- I am not using a VPS in production, but have my own bare-metal, at a facility which is very nearby. After a lot of research, this facility was selected amongst 2 in close proximity because their route (at least at the time of testing) was the most direct to Aurora. This was because I am discretionary, and needed a remote platform for access from multiple locations, without introducing too much lag into the whole process.
The same company handles my server monitoring, and backup procedure.

I would highly recommend for you to keep monitoring and backup "in-house" with the same company that you go with for your VPS (if you even need them). From the type of questions here- I understand that you will just have a long journey ahead of you to learn all the different technologies involved, and learn how to make them work together.

You're probably best off just signing up for one month-to-month VPS, testing it out. From there you will start to get a better sense of what you need.

Thanked by:

bobwest 
Western Florida
Site Moderator

Experience: Advanced
Platform: Sierra Chart
Trading: ES, YM
Frequency: Several times daily
Duration: Minutes
Thanks Given: 57,442
Thanks Received: 26,278

DanDaMan View Post
The two threads are one and the same, so I will just answer here. BTW- you should just merge the two as they ask the same question.

I agree, and have merged the other thread into this one.

@futurenow, please don't create extra threads like this, with duplicate or overlapping subjects. It just makes the forum harder for others to use, and people who are interested in your topic may not find it, which doesn't help you either.

Thanks.

Bob.

When one door closes, another opens.
-- Cervantes, Don Quixote
 planetkill 
New York City + NY/United States

Thanks Given: 108
Thanks Received: 310

Hey sorry that I'm a little late to this thread. I can 100% vouch for the VPS from ninjamobiletrader.com (not affiliated, just a happy customer...)

I've been using them for my automated strategies for about 1 year now, and it's never lost connection or crashed. For latency, I get 1-2ms ping to CQG 64.208.51.207

They're a little more expensive, but the performance is unbeatable because it's running on AMD cpus instead of Intel Xeons, making remote desktop feel very smooth and not laggy like with cheapwndowsvps.com. Over the years of trying many different VPS providers (Speedy, Azure, AWS, RouterHosting, CheapWindowsVPS, etc.), it's the only one that doesn't have remote desktop chart lag. All the other ones told me that lag was to be expected because it wasn't designed to trade through remote desktop...

I even have a second user account within the same VPS to run a 2nd instance of NinjaTrader at the same time, where I mostly discretionary scalp through the RD client on my phone while at work.

Flash Gordon
Burlington, North, Carolina/USA

Thanks Given: 16
Thanks Received: 15

I guess my first suggestion is not to use a VPS service at all.
If you are trading futures you might be best if you only trade when you can be physically present at your own computer and only trade "manually".
Automated strategies are not for the "one man show".
The most successful retail traders I believe would not never, ever, nada, use a VPS.

However, best trading to you in whatever methodology you choose.

Regards, -hg

sienna 
Melbourne, Australia

Experience: Beginner
Platform: Ninja Trader
Broker: Ninjatrader Brokerage
Trading: Many
Frequency: Several times daily
Duration: Minutes
Thanks Given: 281
Thanks Received: 124

planetkill View Post
Hey sorry that I'm a little late to this thread. I can 100% vouch for the VPS from ninjamobiletrader.com (not affiliated, just a happy customer...)

I've been using them for my automated strategies for about 1 year now, and it's never lost connection or crashed. For latency, I get 1-2ms ping to CQG 64.208.51.207

They're a little more expensive, but the performance is unbeatable because it's running on AMD cpus instead of Intel Xeons, making remote desktop feel very smooth and not laggy like with cheapwndowsvps.com. Over the years of trying many different VPS providers (Speedy, Azure, AWS, RouterHosting, CheapWindowsVPS, etc.), it's the only one that doesn't have remote desktop chart lag. All the other ones told me that lag was to be expected because it wasn't designed to trade through remote desktop...

I even have a second user account within the same VPS to run a 2nd instance of NinjaTrader at the same time, where I mostly discretionary scalp through the RD client on my phone while at work.

Hi Planetkill, Could you please update us on your experience with ninjamobiletrader.com? Are you still using them and how has it been? Many thanks

planetkill 
New York City + NY/United States

Thanks Given: 108
Thanks Received: 310

sienna View Post
Hi Planetkill, Could you please update us on your experience with ninjamobiletrader.com? Are you still using them and how has it been? Many thanks

Hello, yes I'm still using them, and switched to annual billing for the discount. I actually picked up a 2nd VPS from them recently in order to run a 2nd instance of nt8, and use their recommended trade copier for copying trades between the two VPS.

Thanked by:
 racergrl 
Seattle, Washington/USA

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: NinjaTrader
Trading: ES
Thanks Given: 2
Thanks Received: 0

Hey, just seeing this thread - I've been using Ninja Mobile Trader with NT8.
My fills are usually awesome with little slip.
Top notch customer service.
Windows updates are automatically taken care which is a nice change from when was with another trading server company.
Quick to connect and I can switch between desktop and cell easily.
Competitively priced and you get a discount for more than one.

Last Updated on December 2, 2022

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts