NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Recommended Windows VPS for NinjaTrader 8. For $7-$12 /month. PiVPS? CheapWindowsVPS?

Discussion in Traders Hideout

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one futurenow with 10 posts (4 thanks)
    2. looks_two DanDaMan with 4 posts (7 thanks)
    3. looks_3 TradingThomas with 4 posts (4 thanks)
    4. looks_4 planetkill with 2 posts (5 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one sam028 with 6 thanks per post
    2. looks_two planetkill with 2.5 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 DanDaMan with 1.8 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 futurenow with 0.4 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 13,479 views
    2. thumb_up 30 thanks given
    3. group 17 followers
    1. forum 28 posts
    2. attach_file 4 attachments

Search this Thread

Recommended Windows VPS for NinjaTrader 8. For $7-$12 /month. PiVPS? CheapWindowsVPS?

futurenow
Earth planet

Thanks Given: 38
Thanks Received: 13

sam028 View Post
In this field like in many others you'll get what you paid for.
Most super cheap VPS providers are renting space from large hosting providers (like OVH for example) and are massively overselling CPU resources, up to 1 for 100 (100 virtual cores on 1 physical core). So the user will be happy to see 4 CPU in his Windows task manager but its real computing power is in fact a fraction of it. I had an example recently, a 4 cores/8 GB cheap VPS where an empty NinjaTrader took 3 minutes to launch.
The support quality and the reliability are usually in line, and it's normal, you can't have a real support crew and a reliable datacenter for $10/mo.
So like always, if it's too good to be true it may not be true at all .

Thank you for your feedback, I really appreciate your observation

I perfectly understand your point, and that's exactly the purpose to create this post, because not every single low-cost VPS service have to necessarily give a bad experience.

For example I know 3 persons and 1 small company who are using PiVPS since 2019 with a cost of $9.99/month, running NT7 with a load of around 8 charts and 1-3 strategies Enabled at the same time and what that PiVPS plan includes is: 1vCPU and 1.8 GB RAM. Those users are using this service for only the more basic experience, to run NT7 and a couple strategies and done, but I would like to know the other recommendations, experience and feedback from others members here about other good alternatives.

For example, Contabo received an excellent feedback from a Pro in the NinjaTrader Forum, and that was a service I didn't know until yesterday when vsltradr talked about it here, and that's positive because it is an alternative that seems to be a serious one.

Thank you

Thanked by:

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
NT7 Indicator Script Troubleshooting - Camarilla Pivots
NinjaTrader
NexusFi Journal Challenge - April 2024
Feedback and Announcements
Exit Strategy
NinjaTrader
Futures True Range Report
The Elite Circle
New Micros: Ultra 10-Year & Ultra T-Bond -- Live Now
Treasury Notes and Bonds

futurenow
Earth planet

TradingThomas View Post
futurenow, this is a great thread as I'm also looking for a low-cost VPS solution for trading CME futures. Of your 3 options, I see that only RouterHosting offers a Chicago-based data center.

Yes TradingThomas, the idea with this thread is to collect feedback and references that could to those traders who maybe are starting with a low budget, or maybe to trade in Sim/Demo etc. and can't afford to pay a high-cost VPS.

About RouterHosting, I don’t have any feedback yet. If someone here know something please post it.

TradingThomas View Post
vsltradr, your recommendation of Contabo looks attractive, though there is 18ms latency between their St. Louis data center and Chicago.

Thank you for the latency information TradingThomas, I'm curious about how you could measure the latency between the Contabo's data center and Chicago. Does it come in their website? Or are you already using a VPS from Contabo and could measure this?

Giving a quick view in the map I see St. Louis is geographically closer to Chicago than NY, and I mention this because I see some VPS services say to be located in NY, but I don't have any kind of reference about the network communication (data transfer speed, latency, stability) between Chicago-NY and Chicago-St._Louis. I could think it could be similar but no idea.

However taking as reference the feedback given by MicroTrends in the NT Forum (thanks to vsltradr for the link), in fact he says Contabo is a good option unless you do High Frequency Trading or something in that level:
https://forum.ninjatrader.com/forum/ninjatrader-7/platform-technical-support/1128337-about-reliable-vps

Well, as said before, more alternatives are welcome members, please keep posting your feedback and experience with these and/or other VPS services

Thank you

TradingThomas
Las Vegas Nevada USA

Thanks Given: 12
Thanks Received: 21

futurenow View Post
Thank you for the latency information TradingThomas, I'm curious about how you could measure the latency between the Contabo's data center and Chicago. Does it come in their website? Or are you already using a VPS from Contabo and could measure this?

The latency information comes from Contabo's website :

futurenow View Post
However taking as reference the feedback given by MicroTrends in the NT Forum (thanks to vsltradr for the link), in fact he says Contabo is a good option unless you do High Frequency Trading or something in that level:
https://forum.ninjatrader.com/forum/ninjatrader-7/platform-technical-support/1128337-about-reliable-vps

While I don't engage in HFT, given the choice of a 2ms ping or an 18ms ping, I'll always take the former.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image_318.png
Views:	139
Size:	226.5 KB
ID:	317385   Click image for larger version

Name:	image_769.png
Views:	136
Size:	226.5 KB
ID:	317386  
Thanked by:
futurenow
Earth planet

TradingThomas View Post
The latency information comes from Contabo's website :

Thank you, I hadn't seen this section about the latency in the Contabo site.

TradingThomas View Post
While I don't engage in HFT, given the choice of a 2ms ping or an 18ms ping, I'll always take the former.

Yes sure, in a situation with 2 services, one with 2ms vs other with 18ms and both services with similar quality-price, of course the 2ms is a much better alternative about the latency.

Btw, have you already found any good alternatives for the Contabo VPS in these days?

TradingThomas
Las Vegas Nevada USA

futurenow View Post
Btw, have you already found any good alternatives for the Contabo VPS in these days?

As I mentioned earlier, your RouterHosting looks attractive (Chicago-based option), but I am still looking and have yet to make any decision.

Thanked by:

DanDaMan 
QC/Canada

Experience: Beginner
Platform: Sierra Chart, NinjaTrader
Trading: ES
Thanks Given: 327
Thanks Received: 193

You need to do your homework. Google makes it easier these days.
Google the name of the service and "... reviews"
I often look at Trustpilot
https://www.trustpilot.com/review/support.routerhosting.com
There are other review sites as well. You need to decide for yourself what is credible and what is not.

Thanked by:
TradingThomas
Las Vegas Nevada USA

DanDaMan View Post
You need to do your homework. Google makes it easier these days.
Google the name of the service and "... reviews"
I often look at Trustpilot
https://www.trustpilot.com/review/support.routerhosting.com
There are other review sites as well. You need to decide for yourself what is credible and what is not.

This is excellent advice, thank you. RouterHosting, CheapWindowsVPS, and PiVPS all get terrible reviews on Trustpilot, while Contabo gets tons of rave reviews.

I would therefore take Contabo's 18ms over RouterHosting's 2ms any day of the week.

The search continues.

Thanked by:

DanDaMan 
QC/Canada

Experience: Beginner
Platform: Sierra Chart, NinjaTrader
Trading: ES
Thanks Given: 327
Thanks Received: 193

@TradingThomas

You need to figure out first why you need a VPS for trading, and then honestly- your VPS should adapt to your trading- not the other way around. So if you are running efficient algo’s on an efficient platform which you have tweaked yourself, and you know how to optimize your server to suit your needs- then you will already know exactly what hardware you need- and the price is what it is.

I started using VPS not for routing efficiency, but so I could access my trading station from multiple locations. Very few people on the retail side will benefit by having a system refreshing price and placing an order in a difference of a few or even dozen milliseconds. Especially if you are discretionary.

As a side note- you mentioned you are worried about your server crashing or not responding etc… Well then you would need server monitoring that will alert you the instant this happens if it does- which is an extra cost. Also, depending on what you are doing and the kind of data your are accumulating etc- you need to consider a backup solution, or some sort of roll-back/snapshot. You don’t want setup/optimization time, and gathered datasets to disappear. But now this is going further than the original scope of your question.

Just remember, it is not always the case- but often- you get what you pay for. If something seems much cheaper than any other competitor- something has to give. People don’t give away money, hosts have costs behind quality service, hardware, backbones.

Cheers

Sent using the NexusFi mobile app

futurenow
Earth planet

Hello everyone

Actually I’m looking for information about a Windows VPS service with a good balance between the price and the quality it offers in a range of prices of $7-$12 /month, to run NinjaTrader with a couple Algos. You can follow the thread opened here in the next link, and for now an option for a good VPS seems to be Contabo, and I want to give thanks to the user @vsltradr for the references about of this VPS service.

The more basic Contabo Windows VPS setup cost $14.73 that is in the edge my current budget, and now I have a good VPS option I’m wondering how to have a way of having updated backups of everything, maybe periodic automated backups that are automatically uploaded to a cloud. And this would be just in case for example in the future you want/need to move that VPS “Windows workspace” to a local machine, or a local virtual machine, or to migrate to another VPS service. The idea is to have the way to move everything in the VPS in minutes, not having to start over and for example if it is to work in a fresh Windows installation then being installing NinjaTrader, then to see if Ninja want to import and recover the NinjaTrader-backup file, then having to configure the Algos, and making many small adjustments that are time-consuming, to have everything as its previous state in the VPS.

I was thinking a way to do this could be using a virtual machine (VMware or other…) and in that way everything could be moved from a local PC to a VPS and vice versa in short time. With a solution like this the whole process could take 15-30 minutes or so (moving the virtual machine files and restoring them in the end point), and the most important part: without to worry about to touch anything inside the Windows or Ninja that is a key point. But I see the VPS services don’t allow nested virtualization, it seems it wouldn’t work or if it works it could have performance problems (never tested, so I’m not sure).

I know VPS services has backup solutions but I’m starting and for the moment I need to keep expenses as low as possible, and the most important detail here is I don’t only want to have a backup that can be used into another VPS of the same company, no, I need a kind of universal Windows solution to have the way to move the ninja installation as its exact current status with all the configurations etc. being able to move it to whatever other Windows.

Please note in this case I see in Contabo VPS would be in Windows Server 2016, but the local PC and the local machine would be in Windows 10 (maybe in Windows 11 in the next year 2022).

Please members comment about your experiences, feedback and solutions for this situations about the backup for VPS, because it is the first time I will use a VPS and I would like to know how other more experienced traders handle this kind of situations, because yes, if a VPS keeps running for 2 years without problems, then of course some persons never won’t be worried about this kind of details, but I think is important to have a contingency plan even before to start, to know what to do and be covered just in case you need a quick move from a VPS to any other place.

Thank you

AnvilRob 
Smithfield, VA
Legendary Options Mando

Experience: Advanced
Platform: Tasty Trade, TradingView
Broker: Tasty Trade
Trading: Futures: Everything
Frequency: Daily
Duration: Weeks
Thanks Given: 348
Thanks Received: 975

If I read your post correctly, and I'm sorry I did speed read. You just want to keep you ninja the same so you can have it ready to go on your PC if need be?

2 things come to mind. I don't use ninja but most professional charting packages have a backup option. Copy those files to the cloud. You can add drop box etc to the vps.

Second there are some cloud backup services. Some even offer a nice trial period. Use that service to back up the vps and then restore on your personal PC.

Just some ideas brother. Hope I could help in some aspect.

Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

Last Updated on December 2, 2022

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts