NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Kylinbyl's Journal

Discussion in Trading Journals

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one kylinbyl with 48 posts (62 thanks)
    2. looks_two Big Mike with 8 posts (11 thanks)
    3. looks_3 tderrick with 2 posts (0 thanks)
    4. looks_4 mpk67 with 2 posts (2 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one Big Mike with 1.4 thanks per post
    2. looks_two kylinbyl with 1.3 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 mpk67 with 1 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 Hard 8 with 1 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 11,421 views
    2. thumb_up 76 thanks given
    3. group 3 followers
    1. forum 62 posts
    2. attach_file 39 attachments

Search this Thread

Kylinbyl's Journal

kylinbyl 
Rochester

Experience: Beginner
Platform: NinjaTrader
Broker: Zen-Fire
Trading: CL
Thanks Given: 11
Thanks Received: 68

I believe it is time for me to start my journal. I need to post charts, so I can refine and look back at similar days to grow and learn from them. So I am going to start out by explaining my goal, method, entry, exit, charts, example and exceptions.

The Goal

1. To evaluate daily, weekly, and monthly P/L for better entries and all around optimization.
2. Review my philosophy on trades to determine my proper risk/reward tolerance.
3. Plot orders that didn't get filled to tweak entry and exit criteria.
4. After time evaluate amount of contracts that will be needed to meet full-time monthly income with my trading style.

The Method

Use a two bar break of a support or resistance area, wait for a pull back, then enter long or short. Second bar needs to close above or below first bar, and be in upper or lower half of bar, depending on if it is breaking support or resistance. See example. Looking for 2:1 risk to reward or better. I am looking for 3-4 trades a day. The instrument will be the ES. Keeping it simple, sort of. Now the definitions.

Support/ Resistance: Trigger lines and mid band of Keltner Channel.
Pullback: Trying for at least 38% Fib retracement

The Entry

I will try to get my entry within 5 ticks of the S/R area that was just broken. The plan is to use a risk of 5 ticks and reward of 10 to 12 +. I would prefer to see the pull back to my entry make it 38% because my exit will be based on a Fibonacci extension.

The Exit

Once in a trade, I will try and hold the trade to a full 100% extension. But once trade makes it to 61%, I will try and protect profits. If stop gets hit, so be it. Start looking for next entry.

The Charts

Higher Time Frame Chart : 2584 tick chart
High Period Trigger Lines
Low Period Trigger Lines
Keltner Channel
SuperTrend Indicator
MACD with Bollinger Band

Lower Time Frame Chart: 610 tick chart
Same as above with additional trigger line.

Example
See attached marked up chart.

Exceptions

1. I am giving myself 1, and only 1 per day "gut feeling" trade that does not meet my criteria. Use it wisely. i.e. feeling a counter-trend or breakout coming.

We will see you on Monday to start my journal.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ES 2584.jpg
Views:	410
Size:	454.0 KB
ID:	21430  
Started this thread Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
Are there any eval firms that allow you to sink to your …
Traders Hideout
New Micros: Ultra 10-Year & Ultra T-Bond -- Live Now
Treasury Notes and Bonds
NT7 Indicator Script Troubleshooting - Camarilla Pivots
NinjaTrader
NexusFi Journal Challenge - April 2024
Feedback and Announcements
ZombieSqueeze
Platforms and Indicators

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Get funded firms 2023/2024 - Any recommendations or word …
61 thanks
Funded Trader platforms
39 thanks
NexusFi site changelog and issues/problem reporting
26 thanks
The Program
18 thanks
GFIs1 1 DAX trade per day journal
18 thanks

Big Mike 
Manta, Ecuador
Site Administrator
Developer
Swing Trader

Experience: Advanced
Platform: Custom solution
Broker: IBKR
Trading: Stocks & Futures
Frequency: Every few days
Duration: Weeks
Thanks Given: 33,172
Thanks Received: 101,537

Hi Kylinbyl, glad to see another journal here and you seem to be off to a good start.

Looking forward to more!

Mike

We're here to help: just ask the community or contact our Help Desk

Quick Links: Change your Username or Register as a Vendor
Searching for trading reviews? Review this list
Lifetime Elite Membership: Sign-up for only $149 USD
Exclusive money saving offers from our Site Sponsors: Browse Offers
Report problems with the site: Using the NexusFi changelog thread
Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
 kylinbyl 
Rochester

Well for the first day of my trading journal I made 2 ticks profit. As you can see I am a conservative trader. Reasons for this journal are to capture a few things. So I need to document some things about each of the trades to be able to come back and learn from it.

Stats for today
2 actual trades(-4,+7) = +3 - 1(commissions) = +2
1 No fill by 2 ticks ( documenting this to help with entries)
2 passed on. (1 for news, 1 for divergence)(both turned out ok, but will that always be the case)

Trade 1
2 bar break of small and large triggers but not mid band. Next bar was equal close. Was going to take trade at first touch of small trigger(1140) but didn't. Move up couldn't break supertrend first time. Second touch I took. Went 4 ticks in right direction. Moved stop 1 tick up. Could have moved it 2 more because I knew it had to break supertrend to continue.

No fill 1
Had direction right. Needed deeper retracement. Was watching 1210 tick chart and price was at trigger lines but not in trading plan yet, so missed this one.

Trade 2
2 bar break of small triggers coming off of a supertrend rejection. Still didn't break mid band. Took entry at small trigger(1129.75). Watched as price went to mid band. Needed break. Hit 61% extension after breaking mid band. Moved stop to low of bar that broke 61% on 610 chart. Stop was hit. No thrust to 100% extension.

Notes about today - I seem to really like to only look for longs when MACD dot is above mid band on indicator. As well as the opposite for shorts. Would have liked more entries, but didn't lose money today.

Billy

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	10-04-10.jpg
Views:	289
Size:	402.2 KB
ID:	21636  
Thanked by:
 kylinbyl 
Rochester

Market found my Achilles heal. One area I need to work on is one-way trending market. There were several long signals but I kept focusing on short entries. Psychology played a part in my trading today, didn't just trade the signals.

Stats for today
3 actual trades(-3,-5,-4) = -12 - 1(commissions) = -13 ticks
3 passed on. (all for mental bias)(all turned out good)(all were with overall trend).

Trade 1
2 bar break of small triggers down. Entry at 1143.25. Target was Supertrend indy then break of it and beyond. Stop was going to be moved once supertrend was touched to protect profits. Moved stop once price went 4 ticks in my direction. Stop was hit - 3 ticks. Stop was right. Uptrend continued.

Trade 2
After news settled had 2 bar break of small triggers. I entered early at 1146.00, both the 610 and 2584 charts showed a 1146.50 entry. Target was Supertrend again, then possible break of mid band. Because of early entry stop was hit at - 5 ticks. I was trying for 10 ticks therefore my risk could only be 5. 2:1. Better entry would be made profitable trade.

Trade 3
Exception trade. I took my one and only exception to the rules trade. 610 chart showed possible head and shoulders pattern. i tried to sell the right shoulder. Didn't work out. Other factors were third try at making small triggers be resistance. Stopped out at 4 ticks, could have moved it to 3. Didn't follow the trend line on the 610 chart that I drew as stop line.

Notes about today - Had opportunities both directions, but only focused on one side. Would take shorts again if they meet criteria, but also need to take longs if they meet criteria. One long was to close to call, but other two were valid entries. Still have 5 ticks to mess with before daily stop trading signal, but done for the day.

Billy

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	10-05-10.jpg
Views:	280
Size:	316.8 KB
ID:	21749  
Thanked by:
 kylinbyl 
Rochester

Today I ended up with 4 trades. Didn't trade to much in afternoon. Would have had one additional winner and one additional loser. Passed on a trade that I should have, but took a trade earlier that was very similar for a negative. Flat trigger lines or moving averages or whatever are not established trends. I don't like taking full stops.

Stats for today
4 actual trades(-5,-3,+5,+4) = +1 - 2(commissions) = -1 tick
1 passed on. (flat lines)(turned out it would have been wrong).

Trade 1
2 bar break of all lines. Entered early again. With a 5 tick stop you have to be precise. Entry at 1157. Target was 1158.5 then beyond. Made it to target, but I was stopped out at - 5 ticks(exact low).

Trade 2
Was looking for continuation of the current uptrend. Entered on touch of small trigger. Edge was held for a couple of bars. Moved stop because if it came back any farther it would have taken my full stop out. -3 ticks.

Trade 3
Downtrend pushed past large and mid band. Retracement came back to small triggers. I entered at 1156.25. Price moved a touched what I had as a 61% extension. I then moved stop to protect profits. Stop was hit with trade making +5 ticks. Exactly what I try to do. Next trade was poor execution.

Trade 4
Exact same scenario as trade 3. Push down, retrace, enter at small triggers. Problem was I moved the stop to early as rules state "needs to touch 61% before protecting profit". I can minimize a loss, but I don't want to protect profits(anything above B/E) till 61% is touched. I need to improve on holding trades. This was one way to do it. Stop was hit for +4, but there was a lot more potential, especially when intraday low was taken out.

Notes about today - If you hold the R-Multiple will take care of previous losing trades.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	10-06-10.jpg
Views:	260
Size:	370.1 KB
ID:	21924  
Thanked by:

tderrick 
Nashville, Tennessee

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: Ninja / Jigsaw / 9G
Broker: AMP / CQG
Trading: NQ, YM and ES
Thanks Given: 4,260
Thanks Received: 2,532

I have found the ES to be brutal. I gave 25% of my 1st account to it!! lol

Try trading when it slows down a bit and avoid having a postion open during major time intervals. (Black box Demons)

Take it slow... and Good Luck!!

AJ
Nashville, Tennessee

"Life On The Edge of SR"
 kylinbyl 
Rochester

I only did one trade today. Basically a fill and quick close. Was not mentally into trading this setup today. I still watched and evaluated the market as it moved throughout the day. So I will post my chart.

Notes for today
1. Time frame may need to be lower. Possibly 1597 tick chart.
2. Missing a filter. (possibly add dynamic S/R for breakout of channel then pullback)
3. No established entry pattern, just touch of trigger line. (reversal bar will eat up 3 -4 ticks of 10 tick profit).
4. MACDBB on this time frame gives good direction. (above/below mid band)

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	10-07-10.jpg
Views:	285
Size:	394.5 KB
ID:	22081  
Thanked by:

tderrick 
Nashville, Tennessee

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: Ninja / Jigsaw / 9G
Broker: AMP / CQG
Trading: NQ, YM and ES
Thanks Given: 4,260
Thanks Received: 2,532

Don't forget to focus on Price Action. It is easy to get lost in the gizmo's...

kylinbyl View Post
I only did one trade today. Basically a fill and quick close. Was not mentally into trading this setup today. I still watched and evaluated the market as it moved throughout the day. So I will post my chart.

Notes for today
1. Time frame may need to be lower. Possibly 1597 tick chart.
2. Missing a filter. (possibly add dynamic S/R for breakout of channel then pullback)
3. No established entry pattern, just touch of trigger line. (reversal bar will eat up 3 -4 ticks of 10 tick profit).
4. MACDBB on this time frame gives good direction. (above/below mid band)

AJ
Nashville, Tennessee

"Life On The Edge of SR"
 kylinbyl 
Rochester

Yes I need to watch for the overall price action dots and if we are continuing in a LL, HL pattern then watch for my break to the downside like today. The MACDBB dots were showing a down pattern when they broke though the mid band on that indicator at 10:30AM. Just needed HH to fail, which was at about 11:35AM. That was the key to look for a good short opportunity.

Billy

Last Updated on December 8, 2010

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts