NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Topstep didn't pay

Discussion in Trading Reviews and Vendors

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one bobwest with 26 posts (95 thanks)
    2. looks_two Howard Roark with 14 posts (28 thanks)
    3. looks_3 andrej with 10 posts (12 thanks)
    4. looks_4 TraderAnna with 9 posts (18 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one bobwest with 3.7 thanks per post
    2. looks_two matthew28 with 3.2 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 Howard Roark with 2 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 TraderAnna with 2 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 26,664 views
    2. thumb_up 262 thanks given
    3. group 27 followers
    1. forum 96 posts
    2. attach_file 3 attachments

Closed Thread

Search this Thread

Topstep didn't pay

pipstalker 
Melbourne Victoria Australia

Experience: Advanced
Platform: ESignal NinjaTrader
Broker: Mirus/Zenfire
Trading: YM EUR/USD
Thanks Given: 24
Thanks Received: 17

Michael Patak, Chief Visionary Officer of TopStep? That, right there, would have had my BS antennae swinging wildly.

Thanked by:

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
REcommedations for programming help
Sierra Chart
NT7 Indicator Script Troubleshooting - Camarilla Pivots
NinjaTrader
Pivot Indicator like the old SwingTemp by Big Mike
NinjaTrader
Better Renko Gaps
The Elite Circle
Exit Strategy
NinjaTrader

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Just another trading journal: PA, Wyckoff & Trends
34 thanks
Tao te Trade: way of the WLD
24 thanks
Bigger Wins or Fewer Losses?
15 thanks
GFIs1 1 DAX trade per day journal
15 thanks
Vinny E-Mini & Algobox Review TRADE ROOM
13 thanks

matthew28 
United Kingdom
Elite_Member

Experience: Beginner
Platform: Bookmap
Broker: Stage 5, Rithmic
Trading: US Equity Index Futures
Thanks Given: 3,500
Thanks Received: 2,532

Howard Roark View Post
Did you do that test yourself since you suggest it?

I don't hold a strong opinion with regards to TopStep. I always figured they actually had their traders on real accounts once live. But knowing what I now know and understanding the true nature of this business model I'm just saying it wouldn't surprise me if what that guy said is true.

I was in a Funded account for about three months with Topstep a couple of years back. It lasted three months but it didn't work out for me at that time and I just bounced along negative until I got down to the maximum drawdown.

I didn't implicitly test the DOM to see if it was a real market, but having had my own account before and using the Jigsaw DOM showing the orderbook, approximate queue position and the volume transacted on the bid or offer, it is easy to tell the difference between sim accounts and their sometimes optimistic or pessimistic fills, and real orders that are traded based on queue position. I never felt anything was "off" when I was trading the Topstep Funded live account or I would have specifically checked.

But also I didn't check because it is advertised as a real Funded account and they sent me all the relevant account opening forms to fill in and sign and I paid the CME professional exchange fees. If they actually had me or other people on sim it would have been recognised as that very quickly indeed and called out equally quickly, not least by a competing firm.

I haven't been in a Funded account since then (I have been in the Pro Account in the past couple of years but that is clearly described as the sim option), but they have been going for nine years now and if they were just forcing you to wait ten days for a sim account and chucking your paperwork in the bin and pocketing the CME professional fees for themselves that would be a big scam that would cause major reputational damage to the company for no gain whatsoever and would have been revealed years ago. That doesn't apply just to Topstep but any funding company business of which a number of them quite clearly state whether they have people on sim or not or whether they have a sim option. I don't understand how there could be any reason for them to lie about it.

You do not win as a trader, you just get to play again the next day. If that game doesn’t appeal to you then you should not trade. Gary Norden
Thanked by:
Howard Roark
Oslo Norway

Thanks Given: 393
Thanks Received: 532

matthew28 View Post
I didn't implicitly test the DOM to see if it was a real market, but having had my own account before and using the Jigsaw DOM showing the orderbook, approximate queue position and the volume transacted on the bid or offer, it is easy to tell the difference between sim accounts and their sometimes optimistic or pessimistic fills, and real orders that are traded based on queue position. I never felt anything was "off" when I was trading the Topstep Funded live account or I would have specifically checked.

Okay.

Personally, I would think TST use actual accounts, just saying it wouldn't surprise me if otherwise considering how the other competing firms operate.

matthew28 View Post
...but they have been going for nine years now and if they were just forcing you to wait ten days for a sim account and chucking your paperwork in the bin and pocketing the CME professional fees for themselves that would be a big scam that would cause major reputational damage to the company for no gain whatsoever and would have been revealed years ago. That doesn't apply just to Topstep but any funding company business of which a number of them quite clearly state whether they have people on sim or not or whether they have a sim option. I don't understand how there could be any reason for them to lie about it.

Bernie Madoff lasted longer than nine years.

I'm not saying TST is a scam, but a bit surprised that people are not more critical.

How's your Pro Account going then? Have you pulled any good money out of it?

Thanked by:

bobwest 
Western Florida
Site Moderator

Platform: Sierra Chart
Trading: ES, YM
Frequency: Several times daily
Duration: Minutes
Thanks Given: 57,442
Thanks Received: 26,276

Moderator Notice
Moderator Notice

When one door closes, another opens.
-- Cervantes, Don Quixote
Howard Roark
Oslo Norway

Thanks Given: 393
Thanks Received: 532

Sorry about that, Bob. My bad.

Feel free to move the off-topic posts to the thread I created earlier if you think that would be better. Or we could continue the discussion there.

Thanked by:

bobwest 
Western Florida
Site Moderator

Howard Roark View Post
Sorry about that, Bob. My bad.

Feel free to move the off-topic posts to the thread I created earlier if you think that would be better. Or we could continue the discussion there.

Thanks. Let's just keep it elsewhere, and end it here.

Bob.

Thanked by:

bobwest 
Western Florida
Site Moderator

TraderAnna View Post
Wait. Do they really watch these threads? I don't want any conflict with them. Now I think maybe is should delete this. I just thought I can talk with someone in similar situation. Maybe some recommendations. Where can I delete or rename threads? I shouldn't be so direct with the company name. I don't want to harm anyone, I am not that kind, it just feels bad because it was confirmed 3 times.

@TraderAnna, I am sorry I didn't respond to your post earlier.

I do not want you to feel distress. I do not know if @Topstep will review these posts, although they have been explicitly tagged so they will have an opportunity to respond. My general experience with them (not as a funded trader) has been that they are reasonable-minded people who are not likely to want to retaliate, and I would not expect them to here.

You can see from the way that the discussion has expanded outward that the general topic of the funding companies is of great interest to the community. We do value the exchange of ideas, and if a post is based on someone's actual experience and belief, we do not generally remove it, so long as it does not otherwise violate our rules. We do specifically not allow inappropriately negative posts and we try to keep the conversations focused on substance, which we think benefits everyone, including those who are being reviewed. Your post seems like a straight-forward airing of a situation and does not appear to be intended to do anyone harm, so it passes the filters we have set. I do not think it will sound unfair to @Topstep either, although they of course will make their own decisions about how to respond, if at all.

I hope that @Topstep in particular, and the industry as a whole, will benefit from this discussion, and that TS will take it as an opportunity to clarify their policies. We take no stance on what they should do, but simply want the discussion to help illuminate the issues.

I think you should not have a concern on the matter. I don't think anyone will feel that you were deliberately trying to be harmful. Your post does not come across that way and I do not think it will be viewed that way by anyone who has read it.

Bob.

Thanked by:
TraderAnna
Budapest,Hungary

Thanks Given: 12
Thanks Received: 27

bobwest View Post
@TraderAnna, I am sorry I didn't respond to your post earlier.

I do not want you to feel distress. I do not know if @Topstep will review these posts, although they have been explicitly tagged so they will have an opportunity to respond. My general experience with them (not as a funded trader) has been that they are reasonable-minded people who are not likely to want to retaliate, and I would not expect them to here.

You can see from the way that the discussion has expanded outward that the general topic of the funding companies is of great interest to the community. We do value the exchange of ideas, and if a post is based on someone's actual experience and belief, we do not generally remove it, so long as it does not otherwise violate our rules. We do specifically not allow inappropriately negative posts and we try to keep the conversations focused on substance, which we think benefits everyone, including those who are being reviewed. Your post seems like a straight-forward airing of a situation and does not appear to be intended to do anyone harm, so it passes the filters we have set. I do not think it will sound unfair to @Topstep either, although they of course will make their own decisions about how to respond, if at all.

I hope that @Topstep in particular, and the industry as a whole, will benefit from this discussion, and that TS will take it as an opportunity to clarify their policies. We take no stance on what they should do, but simply want the discussion to help illuminate the issues.

I think you should not have a concern on the matter. I don't think anyone will feel that you were deliberately trying to be harmful. Your post does not come across that way and I do not think it will be viewed that way by anyone who has read it.

Bob.

Okay, thank you @bobwest for the answer, I am a bit more relaxed now. I was only worried because I realized later that I did not read the legal stuff on their page. As a not native English person it is impossible to understand that completely anyways.

Thanked by:

dannyinhouston 
Houston Texas

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: NinjaTrader
Trading: CL, YM, NQ, ES
Thanks Given: 287
Thanks Received: 1,044

@bobwest

I mean no disrespect, but it seems like you are maybe "over moderating" certain threads?

bobwest 
Western Florida
Site Moderator

dannyinhouston View Post
@bobwest

I mean no disrespect, but it seems like you are maybe "over moderating" certain threads?

Entirely possible.

I try to call them as I see them, and may overdo it sometimes. Some seem to need more, some don't.

I'm certain I get it wrong sometimes. I try to keep a balance, and I try not to do harm when I don't.

And, of course, you can't please everyone.

I've tried easier jobs....

Bob.

Closed Thread

Last Updated on November 16, 2022

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts