NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

When to Quit Paper Trading/Replay and Go Live?

Discussion in Emini and Emicro Index

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one redbarntrades with 6 posts (9 thanks)
    2. looks_two 58LesPaul with 4 posts (7 thanks)
    3. looks_3 bobwest with 4 posts (30 thanks)
    4. looks_4 FuturesTrader71 with 3 posts (12 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one bobwest with 7.5 thanks per post
    2. looks_two FuturesTrader71 with 4 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 mardal with 3.7 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 redbarntrades with 1.5 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 12,253 views
    2. thumb_up 168 thanks given
    3. group 326 followers
    1. forum 56 posts
    2. attach_file 0 attachments

Search this Thread

When to Quit Paper Trading/Replay and Go Live?

Monkey777
Dublin, Ireland

Thanks Given: 1
Thanks Received: 1

58LesPaul View Post
When should one go live from paper trading? From previous threads I've read successful traders do not win every day, maybe every week. So should I go live when I have won every week for how long? 3 months? 6 months? Or am I day dreaming there also?

Thanks

I quit paper trading once I have a strategy that works for me. I switched to live trading once I was satisfied with my results and/or my trading got consistent. Consistency is about getting a kind of framework or method that works for you and you are able to apply it all over again in time.

That's just my opinion and experience, I hope it can be useful for you. It's not the "truth" or a rule to follow, just my experience

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
MC PL editor upgrade
MultiCharts
Increase in trading performance by 75%
The Elite Circle
Trade idea based off three indicators.
Traders Hideout
How to apply profiles
Traders Hideout
NT7 Indicator Script Troubleshooting - Camarilla Pivots
NinjaTrader

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Just another trading journal: PA, Wyckoff & Trends
31 thanks
Spoo-nalysis ES e-mini futures S&P 500
28 thanks
Tao te Trade: way of the WLD
24 thanks
Bigger Wins or Fewer Losses?
20 thanks
GFIs1 1 DAX trade per day journal
17 thanks
Rhuey46
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom

Beamsplitter View Post
I like Al Brooke's idea of trading so small that you don't care about loses or wins for that matter. Just focus on technique.

I have to agree with this, when I learned the methodology I used today, I did really well paper trading and completely messed up going live (albeit risking the minimum), I feel if I had risked the minimum sooner I would have also dealt with the psychology better and also understood the true nature of how to size trades properly.

Thanked by:
eventtrading
Sacramento CA USA

Thanks Received: 11

Paper Trading and Live Trading are not mutually exclusive. Never stop Paper Trading. There's always something to learn or test. It's your practice field. No one takes the playing field w/o first learning on the practice field.

nothingbutprofits 
rochester new york/USA

Experience: Advanced
Platform: ThinkOrSwim & NT
Broker: NT, TOS
Trading: ES NQ RTY CL NG
Thanks Given: 245
Thanks Received: 48

eventtrading View Post
Paper Trading and Live Trading are not mutually exclusive. Never stop Paper Trading. There's always something to learn or test. It's your practice field. No one takes the playing field w/o first learning on the practice field.

I rely on paper trading to test the indicators/strategy until it's working well..then go live.

laba
Paris + Paris/France

Thanks Given: 0

As long as you feel confident about buying , selling, stop loss and lettone profits run .. you should go live .. this business is about the mindset and psychology.. trading live is à New expérience.. do not be afraid.. if you trade on the sim and its okay then go live .. losing trades are part of this business ..its more about how you contrôle risk and manage money ..

Thanked by:

Small Dog 
Sydney NSW Australia

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: TradeStation, Oanda
Trading: Forex, index futures
Frequency: Daily
Duration: Days
Thanks Given: 10
Thanks Received: 151

There was a nice interview with Courtney Smith on the Desire to Trade (Youtube) not long ago. That bloody guy has been trading since the 60-s. Dammit! One of the things he said was that a lot of people are very intelligent until they put on a trade. Then, he said, the IQ goes down tremendously (I think he said it drops to the size of one's shoe). My case for sure.

bobwest 
Western Florida
Site Moderator

Experience: Advanced
Platform: Sierra Chart
Trading: ES, YM
Frequency: Several times daily
Duration: Minutes
Thanks Given: 57,451
Thanks Received: 26,278

ursus View Post
There was a nice interview with Courtney Smith on the Desire to Trade (Youtube) not long ago. That bloody guy has been trading since the 60-s. Dammit! One of the things he said was that a lot of people are very intelligent until they put on a trade. Then, he said, the IQ goes down tremendously (I think he said it drops to the size of one's shoe). My case for sure.

Mine becomes negative, actually, something I didn't know was possible before I took up trading.

Bob.

When one door closes, another opens.
-- Cervantes, Don Quixote
Thanked by:

Last Updated on September 20, 2021

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts