NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Senate Bill to revoke Futures 60/40 tax treatment

Discussion in Traders Hideout

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one SMCJB with 9 posts (40 thanks)
    2. looks_two bobwest with 8 posts (19 thanks)
    3. looks_3 booneyall with 5 posts (13 thanks)
    4. looks_4 snax with 4 posts (11 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one SMCJB with 4.4 thanks per post
    2. looks_two snax with 2.8 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 booneyall with 2.6 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 bobwest with 2.4 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 8,622 views
    2. thumb_up 122 thanks given
    3. group 11 followers
    1. forum 38 posts
    2. attach_file 0 attachments

Search this Thread

Senate Bill to revoke Futures 60/40 tax treatment

booneyall 
LEXINGTON, KY

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: NinjaTrader 8
Broker: NinjaTrader Brokerage
Trading: MNQ
Frequency: Several times daily
Duration: Minutes
Thanks Given: 24
Thanks Received: 18

SMCJB View Post
@booneyall, @vmodus, as I mentioned earlier, the exception on estimated tax payments is that as long as the tax you pay (through deductions and/or estimates) is equivalent to 110% of your previous years tax liability you won't be fined/penalized (as long as you pay the balance when you file or extend before April the following year).

It's between 90% and 110% depending on your income.

Thanked by:

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
REcommedations for programming help
Sierra Chart
Trade idea based off three indicators.
Traders Hideout
NT7 Indicator Script Troubleshooting - Camarilla Pivots
NinjaTrader
Increase in trading performance by 75%
The Elite Circle
ZombieSqueeze
Platforms and Indicators

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Just another trading journal: PA, Wyckoff & Trends
34 thanks
Tao te Trade: way of the WLD
24 thanks
GFIs1 1 DAX trade per day journal
16 thanks
My NQ Trading Journal
14 thanks
Vinny E-Mini & Algobox Review TRADE ROOM
13 thanks
 booneyall 
LEXINGTON, KY

ron99 View Post
I never pay estimated taxes. I just pay the small fine. It's about 3%.

I consider this a low interest loan from the government.

I started not paying when one year I made some estimated payments then the estimate payments were far too much because of losses in 4Q. The gov got to hold my money for months and I couldn't use it during that time.

That is a good consideration and is also why the answer to estimated payments are not a one size fits all. Losses in Q3 or Q4 may offset gains in Q1/Q2. Since section 1256 contracts aren't subject to self employment tax, the pressure to send them in is greatly reduced.

The Green Trader Tax guide is good; I've been in public accounting for 12 years and I use it as a reference regularly.

Thanked by:
 booneyall 
LEXINGTON, KY

vmodus View Post
I have to disagree with you on whether payment is required. I am not a tax professional, but I can state with certainty that if you go above that $1,000 threshold, as evidenced by a 1099 or other earnings form, you are required to make quarterly payments. This goes for just about any earnings that are not taxed, which covers a lot of types of 1099's.

Example:
  • $700 trading income (1099-B)
  • $700 Uber driving income (1099-NEC)
At $1,400, quarterly payments, even small ones, are required. The IRS may waive a penalty, but you don't want to start raising flags with them that may trigger an audit in the future.

When in doubt, just pay. It is easy to setup all your payments for a tax year in advance (EFTPS) and then adjust if needed.

I respect your opinion certainly. I suppose the definition of "required" is relative and means something different to each taxpayer. I would not classify being subject to underpayment penalty as a requirement where others may say a penalty is the consequence of a requirement violation.

In your example though, $700 on a 1099-B and $700 on an NEC are taxed differently. Broker barter transaction gains/losses are ultimately reported on Sch D and NEC payments are on Sch C where they are subject to self-employment tax. In this case the $700 Sch D income may only be taxed at a rate of 15% where the Sch C income has the 15% federal income tax and 15.3% self employment tax totaling 30%. Those with self employment income should be more concerned with quarterly payments because of the SE tax.

In 2019 I had a client who's house was about to be levied and auctioned by the IRS to offset his six figure tax liability. We were able to get the house off the chopping block by establishing a payment arrangement AND him making quarterly estimated payment's...so they are certainly important. He was a self employed contractor with a considerable SE tax factor.

I do not personally make estimated payments and pay the tax at the end of the year. The underpayment interest is worth it in order to hold the cash longer.

I appreciate the interesting discussion.

Thanked by:

SMCJB 
Houston TX
Legendary Market Wizard

Experience: Advanced
Platform: TT and Stellar
Broker: Advantage Futures
Trading: Primarily Energy but also a little Equities, Fixed Income, Metals and Crypto.
Frequency: Many times daily
Duration: Never
Thanks Given: 4,384
Thanks Received: 10,206

ron99 View Post

I started not paying when one year I made some estimated payments then the estimated payments were far too much because of losses in 4Q. The gov got to hold my money for months and I couldn't use it during that time.

That's the situation I seem to find myself in year after year!

booneyall View Post
Since section 1256 contracts aren't subject to self employment tax, the pressure to send them in is greatly reduced.

Unless your an exchange member, then unfortunately they are!

Started this thread Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
 booneyall 
LEXINGTON, KY

SMCJB View Post
That's the situation I seem to find myself in year after year!

Unless your an exchange member, then unfortunately they are!

Good point on the exchange members, I believe they do pay SE. I’ve never personally done a return for one but would be interested to see how that is reported.

Sent using the NexusFi mobile app

PacoDeGato
Las Vegas, NV

Thanks Given: 0
Thanks Received: 3

USS Liberty View Post
I have a long December 2022 crude oil contract which I bought late last year and unless I get into a margin call, intend to hold it into next year.

Maybe you did... but it was marked to market on 12/31/2020 as far as the tax man is concerned, and repurchased on 01/01/2021.

Thanked by:

richw 
Salt Lake City, UT

Experience: Advanced
Platform: NinjaTrader
Trading: CL, ES, NQ, YM
Thanks Given: 2,246
Thanks Received: 1,541

In my opinion, higher taxes is not a good thing. Neither is continuing to spend money we do not have nor continuing to print money. We will all most certainly pay the price for what our elected officials are doing to the economy. It is only going to get worse if we do not get some sane representatives in Congress and government. Why would we want to allow our federal government to raise taxes and continue to raise spending? Such behavior does not end well.

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
 striveforwisdom 
Washington D.C., United States of America

Platform: Tradovate
Broker: Tradovate
Trading: CL, MCL
Thanks Given: 42
Thanks Received: 31

SMCJB View Post
Yesterday, August 5th, Senator Ron Wyden (D-Ore) proposed the Modernization of Derivatives Tax Act . Obviously a proposed bill isn't law (yet) but one of the things in the proposal is the elimination of the 60/40 tax break for futures.

https://www.finance.senate.gov/chairmans-news/wyden-bill-ensures-wealthy-investors-pay-fair-share-in-taxes

Thanks for sharing this!!

empty 
Louisville, Kentucky

Platform: Sierra Chart, TastyTrade
Broker: Various
Trading: Futures, Options
Thanks Given: 1,938
Thanks Received: 195

ron99 View Post

I started not paying when one year I made some estimated payments then the estimated payments were far too much because of losses in 4Q. The gov got to hold my money for months and I couldn't use it during that time.

Same. I have never paid. I always pay the whole thing when I file. I pay a penalty each year but it's a few hundred dollars. I've considered paying estimates at the state level because the penalties are much higher, but in the end I never do.

Follow me on Twitter Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

Last Updated on January 13, 2022

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts