NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Where do you get your financial news & investment ideas?

Discussion in Traders Hideout

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one vmodus with 3 posts (4 thanks)
    2. looks_two bobwest with 3 posts (11 thanks)
    3. looks_3 Big Mike with 2 posts (4 thanks)
    4. looks_4 deaddog with 2 posts (1 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one xplorer with 4 thanks per post
    2. looks_two FuturesTrader71 with 4 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 Madness with 4 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 bobwest with 3.7 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 9,939 views
    2. thumb_up 47 thanks given
    3. group 210 followers
    1. forum 30 posts
    2. attach_file 0 attachments

Search this Thread

Where do you get your financial news & investment ideas?

Daytrader999 
Ilsede, Germany
Site Moderator

Experience: Advanced
Platform: NinjaTrader 8
Broker: Rithmic / CQG / Ninja Trader Brokerage
Trading: NQ
Thanks Given: 2,067
Thanks Received: 2,316

I've chosen "Something else" as well.

I'm using Jigsaw Daytradr with their included variety of different news feeds and their integrated economic calendar along with Guidants news, which is a German news source.

"If you don't design your own life plan, chances are you'll fall into someone else's plan. And guess what they have planned for you? Not much." - Jim Rohn

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
Cheap historycal L1 data for stocks
Stocks and ETFs
Trade idea based off three indicators.
Traders Hideout
Could it be that currency futures are way easier to trade?
Currencies
MC PL editor upgrade
MultiCharts
How to apply profiles
Traders Hideout

Madness 
Tampa Florida

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: ThinkOrSwim, NinjaTrader
Broker: TD Ameritrade, NinjaTrader
Trading: NG, CL, Equities
Thanks Given: 17
Thanks Received: 37

bobwest View Post
I chose "something else," because I ignore news except to use a financial calendar website to tell me about upcoming reports that I may want to stay out of the market for, until they hit the market and things settle down, such as FOMC announcements.

Also, I don't look to find investment ideas from anywhere except my charts. I know there are good sources of ideas out there, as well as good sources of perspective on news, but I simply can't sift through them and figure out what to do, so I don't try. I'm limited that way.

Wow @bobwest, well damn... it is as if you responded to this poll for me. If I had to describe my style of trading, it would be “pattern recognition” trading. Everything I need to know is on my screens. I’ve said this in other posts here on futures.io. 90% of the market is traded via computers, the market repeats itself every day, day after day. So most of the time, I can count on my signals to work. If 90% of the market were to be traded by emotional retail traders, I would be doing something else with my life. The only information I look at is the US Economic Calendar so that that I can sit out when the FED is talking. Outside of that, I don’t watch any news, whether financial, mainstream, or alternative, none, zero, nada. That way my mind is not corrupted with opinions or predictions that can warp my trading. I am pure pattern technical. Everyone has their way, and this is what works best for me.

I do have to admit something though, I stream Marvel Cinematic Universe Ambient Soundtrack Mix when I trade… it makes me feel powerful

Thanked by:
 MJMack 
New York, NY USA

Experience: Advanced
Platform: NinjaTrader
Trading: CL,TF,ES
Thanks Given: 3
Thanks Received: 4

Hi. I think you forgot 2 categories - paid services like Trade The News, (I don't use it, but I thought about it) and also non mainstream media internet websites - as opposed to Yahoo, BBerg, Reuters or CNBC (there are lots of them I suppose, but I check Zero Hedge regularly. It's a shame its so heavily trolled now). And like others, I use a calendar website like Forexfactory.com for report data.

Thanked by:
 alberteinstein7 
Boston, MA USA

Experience: Beginner
Platform: NinjaTrader, Bookmap
Broker: NinjaTrader
Trading: ES, MES, NQ, MNQ
Thanks Given: 1
Thanks Received: 13

FuturesTrader71 View Post
Financial news and investment ideas: I chose something else.

I lean on Wall Street Journal (online subscription) for what is in focus. Various professional YT channels for investment/options ideas. CT News for news feed along with Benzinga Pro.

Ft-71, I have considered Benzinga myself for my market related news however, they do not provide futures/commodities specific news, they are geared primarily towards only equities and options. I have even spoken to them about this and they have confirmed that they cater to the equities and options crowd.
Do you find them useful for futures trading or do you use them only for equities and options info?

Thanked by:

FuturesTrader71 

Thanks Given: 174
Thanks Received: 1,514

alberteinstein7 View Post
Ft-71, I have considered Benzinga myself for my market related news however, they do not provide futures/commodities specific news, they are geared primarily towards only equities and options. I have even spoken to them about this and they have confirmed that they cater to the equities and options crowd.
Do you find them useful for futures trading or do you use them only for equities and options info?

Equities and options only. CT News covers futures and key numbers for me.

Risk Disclaimer: Trading Futures is not suitable for all investors. Past Performance is not indicative of future results.

If you have any questions about the products or services provided, please send me a Private Message or use the futures.io " Ask Me Anything" thread
Follow me on Twitter Reply With Quote
 hedgeplay 
Austin Texas / US

Frequency: Several times daily
Duration: Seconds
Thanks Given: 145
Thanks Received: 211

@ FuManChou and @BigMike Thank you for this Poll!

These are two great poll question to ask. Where do you get your 1) financial news & 2) investment ideas?

I voted but the accuracy of my vote is weak because, just as FT71 mentioned in his answer above, I use completely different sources for 1) News and 2) Trade / Investment Ideas.

If we asked those same two questions in two separate polls I think the quality/accuracy and so the value of the poll results might improve.

So I suggest breaking this poll into two polls, 1) sources of News and 2) sources of Trade / Investment Ideas.

HedgePlay

Thanked by:
JasonBard
london

Thanks Given: 1
Thanks Received: 1

Depends in what type of instrument I want to invest in that moment. For stocks I use https://www.fool.com/ where I get some ideas about stocks that might be worth investing in, then I usually go to https://finviz.com/ and check the stats of the company I am thinking about buying (you can scan here for P/E ratio, debt ratio, cash flow etc.). For cryptocurrencies, on the other hand, I use https://tradingbeasts.com/, this one does investing as well as trading related content (there is also information on other assets categories than crypto, but not so much so I use it just for crypto).

Thanked by:

vmodus 
Somewhere, Delaware, USA

Platform: MultiCharts
Broker: Barchart.com
Trading: Everything, it all tastes like chicken
Thanks Given: 2,958
Thanks Received: 2,853

Madness View Post
Wow @bobwest, well damn... it is as if you responded to this poll for me. If I had to describe my style of trading, it would be “pattern recognition” trading.

Must be a SW Florida thing.

~vmodus

Enjoy everything!
Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

DanDaMan 
QC/Canada

Experience: Beginner
Platform: Sierra Chart, NinjaTrader
Trading: ES
Thanks Given: 327
Thanks Received: 193

Something else:
Tea leaves

Sent using the NexusFi mobile app

Thanked by:
 SpeculatorSeth   is a Vendor

Thanks Given: 22
Thanks Received: 1,018

When I wake up in the morning I read news squawk's morning briefing first thing to see what happened overnight. During the session I use financial juice as my news squawk. I'm a big fan so I have their lifetime subscription, and am an affiliate with them. I also keep an eye on a list of twitter users that post breaking news through tweetdeck. I read CNBC regularly to get an idea of market opinion and sentiment, and I read ZeroHedge for their reports on what the big wall street research outfits are putting out. Finally I keep a very close eye on new scholarly research studies being released.

I've been doing a lot of research about subscription news services like CNBC Pro, Bloomberg, Wall Street Journal, etc, but I just don't see the detailed macroeconomic research at a reasonable price I'm really looking for. ZeroHedge is probably the best with that, but it's maybe one or two gem articles a day amongst a whole slew of other trash that is worthless.

My goal is to be as informed about markets as possible. A lot of market movement is random and or has no informational content behind it. The only way to know what matters and what doesn't is if you can match it up with context about what's going on in the real world outside of the exchange. The more you understand about the current market the greater chance you have of being able to identify and capitalize on inefficiencies.

Last Updated on March 9, 2022

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts