NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

FOUR more NEW MICRO's - Micro Treasury Yield Futures coming 16 Aug'21

Discussion in Treasury Notes and Bonds

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one SMCJB with 7 posts (23 thanks)
    2. looks_two Schnook with 5 posts (21 thanks)
    3. looks_3 masterchanger with 3 posts (0 thanks)
    4. looks_4 Futures Operator with 2 posts (0 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one Schnook with 4.2 thanks per post
    2. looks_two SMCJB with 3.3 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 addchild with 3 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 tr8er with 3 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 8,941 views
    2. thumb_up 56 thanks given
    3. group 17 followers
    1. forum 26 posts
    2. attach_file 3 attachments

Search this Thread

FOUR more NEW MICRO's - Micro Treasury Yield Futures coming 16 Aug'21

SMCJB 
Houston TX
Legendary Market Wizard

Experience: Advanced
Platform: TT and Stellar
Broker: Advantage Futures
Trading: Primarily Energy but also a little Equities, Fixed Income, Metals and Crypto.
Frequency: Many times daily
Duration: Never
Thanks Given: 4,388
Thanks Received: 10,207

These are interesting as they are not smaller versions of an existing contract, as they reference yield and not price, like the Eurodollar contract, and cough cough, the small exchange treasury contract!

Micro Treasury Yield futures
Micro-sized treasuries, major possibilities

Launching August 16, 2021, cash-settled Micro Treasury Yield futures will offer a streamlined way to trade interest rate markets with contracts based directly on yields of the most recently auctioned Treasury securities at four key tenor points on the curve.

Traded in yield
Directly references the most widely followed US Treasury market metric – yields of recently auctioned Treasury securities.

Four major tenors
Trade across the yield curve with contracts on four key tenors: 2-Year Note, 5-Year Note, 10-Year Note, and 30-Year Bond.

Simple, cash-settled design
All four contracts are sized at $10 dollar per basis point of yield (0.01%), creating seamless curve spreading opportunities.

Built on leading BrokerTec benchmarks
Anchored by BrokerTec US Treasury benchmarks, sourced from transactions on the leading cash UST trading platform.

Micro Treasury Yield futures
https://www.cmegroup.com/trading/interest-rates/micro-treasury-yield-futures.html

@FuturesTrader71

Started this thread Reply With Quote

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
MC PL editor upgrade
MultiCharts
Cheap historycal L1 data for stocks
Stocks and ETFs
About a successful futures trader who didn´t know anyth …
Psychology and Money Management
NT7 Indicator Script Troubleshooting - Camarilla Pivots
NinjaTrader
Trade idea based off three indicators.
Traders Hideout

FuManChou 
Saint Paul, Minnesota, United States

Experience: Beginner
Platform: MultiCharts
Broker: Edge Clear LLC
Trading: MNQ
Thanks Given: 1,127
Thanks Received: 120

Wow. Good news for us noobs.

Thanked by:
 addchild 
Bay Area California

Experience: None
Platform: TT T4
Broker: Phillip Capital
Trading: Futures
Thanks Given: 926
Thanks Received: 898

Im hoping these take off because it will be very nice to have actual 30y exposure in futures (compared to UB which is ~25yr), and you will be able to put on yield spreads without having to worry about pesky dv01 ratios. I'm curious to see how they are going to handle the auction/expiration schedule.

Though the different quoting convention (yield instead of price) and them being non-fungible with a larger product might present an obstacle for their adoption.

Thanked by:

SMCJB 
Houston TX
Legendary Market Wizard

Platform: TT and Stellar
Broker: Advantage Futures
Trading: Primarily Energy but also a little Equities, Fixed Income, Metals and Crypto.
Frequency: Many times daily
Duration: Never
Thanks Given: 4,388
Thanks Received: 10,207

addchild View Post
Though the different quoting convention (yield instead of price) and them being non-fungible with a larger product might present an obstacle for their adoption.

Agree its a different price risk, the relationship between price and yield is not linear, and the biggest players in the market are hedging price (not yield) risk. Saying that people who want to speculate on interest rate moves probably prefer a yield contract rather than a price contract. We will see.

While the FAQ doesnt address this I assume the price will be like Fed Funds, Eurodollars and other STIR contracts, specifically 100-Yield, so 99 would equate to a yield of 1%.

Started this thread Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
 Cutloss 
Midway florida

good news for all! i know plenty of big traders who are utilizing the micros.. why?
initial order entry and to run new strategies live as ell as venturing out into swing trades vs scalps nd day trades.

Schnook 
Munich, Germany

Platform: Sierra Chart
Broker: Interactive Brokers
Trading: liquid products
Thanks Given: 1,166
Thanks Received: 1,917

This is going to be a great product. The fixed $10 DV01 will allow for a much higher degree of precision for duration-neutral curve expressions (no more squirrely hedge ratios or convexity adjustments), and with the monthly auction schedules we won't have to worry about cheapest-to-deliver shenanigans as has historically been the case with the old bond contract. These features will also make the new contracts a much cleaner and simpler way to hedge interest-rate risk for mortgage and credit traders, and for these reasons I expect that they will be very well-received by both retail and institutional participants.

Regarding the very good point about the non-linear relationship between price and yield, I would only add the the convexity profile of the ZB contract is unlikely to match the convexity profile of what people are hedging with it anyway, so traditional hedgers would have to make periodic adjustments to their hedge ratios when using the Treasury futures anyway. Yield futures, being more granular and no longer subject to convexity issues, might actually make this easier for some users.

Thanked by:

COTtrader 
JACKSON, MICHIGAN
Legendary Market Wizard

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: TS and Trading View
Broker: TS
Trading: ES Awesome!
Thanks Given: 406
Thanks Received: 648

Thanks. I'll see how these run in semi-automated strategy! Finally!

Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
Jaybee12
London

Thanks Given: 5
Thanks Received: 0

Anyone heard of brokers who will definitely be offering these? Launch is not till Aug 16, so there is still some way to go, but I would be interested to see if they become widely adopted.

Not a bad thing to trade IMHO - I am now well used to working out the DV01s and weighting each leg off that, but these would simplify matters (even if transacting on a yield rather than price basis will take some getting used to).

tr8er 
Europe
Legendary Market Wizard

Platform: TradeNavigator, BookMap
Trading: ES, CL, 6E, 6B
Thanks Given: 220
Thanks Received: 709

Jaybee12 View Post
Anyone heard of brokers who will definitely be offering these? Launch is not till Aug 16, so there is still some way to go, but I would be interested to see if they become widely adopted.

Not a bad thing to trade IMHO - I am now well used to working out the DV01s and weighting each leg off that, but these would simplify matters (even if transacting on a yield rather than price basis will take some getting used to).

You can be sure that every broker (who offers CME futures) will allow them to trade

Thanked by:

Schnook 
Munich, Germany

Platform: Sierra Chart
Broker: Interactive Brokers
Trading: liquid products
Thanks Given: 1,166
Thanks Received: 1,917

These contracts are now available for trading. Volumes have been low so far but things picked on a bit beginning Sep. 1 and should continue to improve. The bulk of the volume and OI right now are in the 10Y, so doesn't appear to be a ton of spreading going on just yet, but I plan on taking a closer look next week and perhaps even testing the waters a bit.

Anyone else here involved?

Thanked by:

Last Updated on June 12, 2022

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts