NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Trading the ES - Beginners Luck

Discussion in Trading Journals

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one crazyjk with 41 posts (17 thanks)
    2. looks_two MNSTrading with 3 posts (3 thanks)
    3. looks_3 tr8er with 3 posts (6 thanks)
    4. looks_4 ferdinand911 with 2 posts (0 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one tr8er with 2 thanks per post
    2. looks_two josh with 1.5 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 MNSTrading with 1 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 crazyjk with 0.4 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 10,041 views
    2. thumb_up 34 thanks given
    3. group 19 followers
    1. forum 56 posts
    2. attach_file 36 attachments

Trading the ES - Beginners Luck

crazyjk
Sydney Australia

Thanks Given: 8
Thanks Received: 17

Hey Guys,

Been a lurker thought i would start a journal, Living in Australia and day trading our local markets for over 2 years and doing quiet well works become quiet busy so i got introduced to futures trading by a member of a discord as trading opens 11:30pm which suits me perfect.

Create a AMP account, 5th May deposit 2K proceed to lose 1400 that same night.. 2K deposit following night a small win followed by a small win the following night what happens over the next few weeks can only be described as a "Hot Streak" account grew to $32,000 in a month. I took profits along the way and with currency conversion to AUD it is quiet sweet.

Now i have withdrew most my capital as i am becoming quiet reckless i don't trade with stops i don't have a trade plan i do it all on feel and gut instinct.. i have left 2K in my account so lets make it a second month with big gains.

Thanked by:

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
Are there any eval firms that allow you to sink to your …
Traders Hideout
Deepmoney LLM
Elite Quantitative GenAI/LLM
New Micros: Ultra 10-Year & Ultra T-Bond -- Live Now
Treasury Notes and Bonds
Exit Strategy
NinjaTrader
ZombieSqueeze
Platforms and Indicators

tr8er 
Europe
Market Wizard

Experience: Advanced
Platform: TradeNavigator, BookMap
Trading: ES, CL, 6E, 6B
Thanks Given: 220
Thanks Received: 709

crazyjk View Post
Hey Guys,

Been a lurker thought i would start a journal, Living in Australia and day trading our local markets for over 2 years and doing quiet well works become quiet busy so i got introduced to futures trading by a member of a discord as trading opens 11:30pm which suits me perfect.

Create a AMP account, 5th May deposit 2K proceed to lose 1400 that same night.. 2K deposit following night a small win followed by a small win the following night what happens over the next few weeks can only be described as a "Hot Streak" account grew to $32,000 in a month. I took profits along the way and with currency conversion to AUD it is quiet sweet.

Now i have withdrew most my capital as i am becoming quiet reckless i don't trade with stops i don't have a trade plan i do it all on feel and gut instinct.. i have left 2K in my account so lets make it a second month with big gains.

The result is great (congrats), but it sounds like an all-in strategy which worked well, but on the long-run it will not work, so it was a good idea to take the money and run

You know your problems: no stop and no plan, nothing is easier to solve issues like these, set stops, create a plan (and trade it) and grow your account again

Thanked by:

crazyjk
Sydney Australia

No denying a trading plan with stops and a strategy is the correct way to trade. Does it work for everyone? I don't know about that.

I am just starting out and getting my head around everything futures related. And growing a small account requires risk and some luck i guess.

Made 1 trade on open this morning took a short @ 4228.75 closed @ 4223.25.

Cant post screen shots yet as i need 5 post ill work on that this evening...

Starting Balance - $2063
Profit - $1100
Account sits at - $3163

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ES Trade 1.JPG
Views:	203
Size:	11.1 KB
ID:	313680  

tr8er 
Europe
Market Wizard

Platform: TradeNavigator, BookMap
Trading: ES, CL, 6E, 6B
Thanks Given: 220
Thanks Received: 709

crazyjk View Post
No denying a trading plan with stops and a strategy is the correct way to trade. Does it work for everyone? I don't know about that.

I am just starting out and getting my head around everything futures related. And growing a small account requires risk and some luck i guess.

Cant post screen shots yet as i need 5 post ill work on that this evening...

Starting Balance - $2063
Profit - $1100
Account sits at - $3163

Again, a great result.

You trade 4 contracts on a 2k account? I guess your margin is $ 500.--/contract ES. It seems the trade went straight in your direction. If the trade would just go 1 point or less against you, you get a Margin Call. I hope you know that.

Thanked by:

crazyjk
Sydney Australia

My broker is AMP futures margin is $400 per contract so not too bad.

Got to take some risk to grow the account once we are at 6K we will have some breathing room.

MNSTrading 
Grand Rapids, Michigan

Experience: None
Trading: Commodities and Russell
Thanks Given: 59
Thanks Received: 336

I did the same thing five years ago, started with 10k and had 30K in 2 weeks.
It was absolutely beginner's luck. It lasted maybe another week I want to say.

Go to the micros, please, a dollar a tick. You'll be so much happier later on.
As was said above, luck only holds for so long.

Coming, they can't be denied. Going, they can't be detained.
Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal
Thanked by:

TraderTS 
Texas, USA

Platform: NinjaTrader 8
Broker: AMP Futures w/ CQG Data Feed
Trading: ES+MES+TechStocks as of 2022 Previous: ES GC CL [4MES2ES as of 2019MAY] and [4MGC2GC as of 2021JAN]
Thanks Given: 281
Thanks Received: 389

crazyjk View Post

I was not going to share my opinion and consider your situation as "Beginner's luck!"
... until I saw your next post as below:

crazyjk View Post

No denying a trading plan with stops and a strategy is the correct way to trade . Does it work for everyone? I don't know about that.

I have been there... done that... lost it ALL and more!
As a newbie, I've traded without STOP--bad habits in trading Stocks that took me years to learn to LOVE stop-loss when trading Futures and regain CONFIDENCE to become profitable again.

Have you ever traded during a Quarterly Rollover? or FOMC Meeting? or major News? ahh... Twitter?
Hmmm, your 5 points gain could be reversed to 50 points or 100 points LOSS and the four contracts without stops in a $2000 account... could be wiped out in nano-second if not in minutes.

Please take the time to learn to trade the "right" way appropriately!

Find the missing piece of the puzzle... Let's be amazing, be awesome in trading today!
iTS
Thanked by:

crazyjk
Sydney Australia

Interesting point of views and replies..

I was sensible and withdrew my profits before any sort of draw down.

But here to try grow a small account balance, i pick my spots and enter and don't trade just to trade.

Time will tell...

crazyjk
Sydney Australia

ES had so much potential today felt i didn't capitalise its full potential

Shorted from 4235 and a long position from 4220

1am here and struggling so off to bed zzzzzzzzzzzz

Proftit - 1387
Balance - 4531

Captureem21

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image_501.png
Views:	173
Size:	13.5 KB
ID:	313727   Click image for larger version

Name:	image_296.png
Views:	171
Size:	13.5 KB
ID:	313728  

elitecamper 
McAllen, TX

Platform: Multicharts, Jigsaw
Broker: Ironbeam
Trading: ES, ZN, ZB, ZF
Thanks Given: 108
Thanks Received: 133

I wouldn't call it luck. Its more like skill because you are seeing the market with fresh eyes. What happens is we get lost and identified and start making poor trades. So the trick is to see the market with fresh eyes everyday. That involves trading and then forgetting about it until the next trading session. If you are always in the market and thinking about it night and day then you are lost.

Thanked by:

Last Updated on June 1, 2022

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts