NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Any long term success stories from funded traders in these get-funded programs?

Discussion in Trading Reviews and Vendors

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one Howard Roark with 106 posts (142 thanks)
    2. looks_two phantomtrader with 37 posts (79 thanks)
    3. looks_3 ValhallaTrader with 19 posts (39 thanks)
    4. looks_4 bobwest with 17 posts (55 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one bobwest with 3.2 thanks per post
    2. looks_two phantomtrader with 2.1 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 ValhallaTrader with 2.1 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 Howard Roark with 1.3 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 60,939 views
    2. thumb_up 519 thanks given
    3. group 37 followers
    1. forum 267 posts
    2. attach_file 26 attachments

Search this Thread

Any long term success stories from funded traders in these get-funded programs?

phantomtrader 
Reno, Nevada
Legendary Market Wizard

Experience: Advanced
Platform: NinjaTrader
Trading: ZN, ZB, CL
Frequency: Daily
Duration: Minutes
Thanks Given: 217
Thanks Received: 990

Howard Roark View Post
Glad to hear you're progressing well, phantomtrader!

I'm rooting for your continued success.

Most futures brokers seems to offer intraday margins, i.e., $500 for index futures. Interactive Brokers have way too high margins.

With OneUp, you'll intially get to trade 5 contracts once you're funded. So, on your own, you would have to put up $2500/$5000 to do the same. Not that good of a deal, IMO, unless there's a trader with a great talent who only have $350 in his bank account.

The interesting thing which is stated in the thread title is long term success and if these companies or OneUp specifically here will at any point stake you. The way I interpret it - they won't. If you withdraw profits, you're back to square one. Meaning you might as well trade your own account with a 100% profit split. The cushion you're building with OneUp is basically your own unrealized profits anyway. So, as long as that's in place it's your own profits that are at risk.

Might as well risk them in one's own account then.

But maybe I'm missing something obvious.

I view the margin requirements somewhat differently. I think it depends on your strategy and what your strategy requires as a cushion to trade efficiently. I'm a scalper as I described in a previous post. Sure, I can easily trade 6 with a $5,000 cushion. But that's the average day. If there's a true trend day and I want to add contracts, I need an additional cushion to add those contracts (actually, that's why I was curious about your windfall profit comment). I've assigned specific guidelines as to what cushion I need to trade the "average day" and what I need for that windfall day. Remember there are losses too - some days are highly inefficient where I might be in and out a half dozen times or more to achieve the goal.

So it really depends on your strategy and not so much what the brokerages will allow for margin. It's all numbers and calculations based on your strategy.

Also, remember my goal is to scale up to the maximum number of contracts using the same calculations. Right now I'm planning on moving to 8 contracts around September 15th. We'll see if it works out.

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
Trade idea based off three indicators.
Traders Hideout
Better Renko Gaps
The Elite Circle
Pivot Indicator like the old SwingTemp by Big Mike
NinjaTrader
What broker to use for trading palladium futures
Commodities
ZombieSqueeze
Platforms and Indicators

Howard Roark
Oslo Norway

Thanks Given: 393
Thanks Received: 532

phantomtrader View Post
I view the margin requirements somewhat differently. I think it depends on your strategy and what your strategy requires as a cushion to trade efficiently. I'm a scalper as I described in a previous post. Sure, I can easily trade 6 with a $5,000 cushion. But that's the average day. If there's a true trend day and I want to add contracts, I need an additional cushion to add those contracts (actually, that's why I was curious about your windfall profit comment). I've assigned specific guidelines as to what cushion I need to trade the "average day" and what I need for that windfall day. Remember there are losses too - some days are highly inefficient where I might be in and out a half dozen times or more to achieve the goal.

So it really depends on your strategy and not so much what the brokerages will allow for margin. It's all numbers and calculations based on your strategy.

Also, remember my goal is to scale up to the maximum number of contracts using the same calculations. Right now I'm planning on moving to 8 contracts around September 15th. We'll see if it works out.

Wouldn't you be able to add more contracts if it was a real account, too?

Regardless, I'm glad you're happy. And I wish you the best in scaling up and hoping it works out for you long term. Hell - maybe you'll even make me a believer again!

FWIW, I'm back with my real account on the 1st of September. Been a few crazy months with not much time for trading, but finally finding the time to do so and I don't mind risking my own capital then. It would be great to get some funding at some point, though, as it would make me reach my independence faster than if I'm all on my own.

Thanked by:

phantomtrader 
Reno, Nevada
Legendary Market Wizard

Howard Roark View Post
Wouldn't you be able to add more contracts if it was a real account, too?

Regardless, I'm glad you're happy. And I wish you the best in scaling up and hoping it works out for you long term. Hell - maybe you'll even make me a believer again!

FWIW, I'm back with my real account on the 1st of September. Been a few crazy months with not much time for trading, but finally finding the time to do so and I don't mind risking my own capital then. It would be great to get some funding at some point, though, as it would make me reach my independence faster than if I'm all on my own.

I still have my personal account which runs a different strategy on a different computer. I have 2 lifetime licenses with Ninja. I could certainly scalp in my own account but I wanted to try this out to see how fast I could run up to 15 contracts with a smaller margin (I generally have 3x margin per strategy in my personal account). I fully recognize that it's my money in the OneUp account that I'm trading. This is sort of an experiment for me. When, and if, I get to 15 contracts, I intend to re-evaluate my margin requirements, etc for my strategy.

I also wanted to see what it was like to trade with one of these companies As I mentioned before, I've had no problems with OneUp. I think it's a good company. At the very least, they're not adverse to scalpers like TopStep is.

Good luck with your trading.

Howard Roark
Oslo Norway

Any news?

Howard Roark
Oslo Norway

Did you manage to scale up to 15 contracts, phantomtrader?

Would be nice to hear an update if and if you're still happy with OneUp if you don't mind sharing. Thank you.

phantomtrader 
Reno, Nevada
Legendary Market Wizard

Howard Roark View Post
Did you manage to scale up to 15 contracts, phantomtrader?

Would be nice to hear an update if and if you're still happy with OneUp if you don't mind sharing. Thank you.

No. Staying at 6 lots. The reason is the $4,000 per day drawdown. My method simply doesn't work well if the daily drawdown doesn't scale along with it. So won't be scaling up to the 15 that I had originally planned.
Anything beyond 6 lots is dangerous and unrealistic.

OnUp is still good. No complaints. Withdrawals no problem. Support is good.

I'll probably be going back to my personal account at some point. I realize now that it's too difficult to move forward because of that $4,000 daily drawdown regardless how much you
have in your account, which is something I failed to understand at the beginning. I thought that if I had profit in the account that the drawdown would increase as the profit increased.
That said, I've made money with the account. But my plan didn't turned out to be realistic.

Overall, the company is good.

How is your new personal account going?

Howard Roark
Oslo Norway

phantomtrader View Post
No. Staying at 6 lots. The reason is the $4,000 per day drawdown. My method simply doesn't work well if the daily drawdown doesn't scale along with it. So won't be scaling up to the 15 that I had originally planned.

I'll probably be going back to my personal account at some point. I realize now that it's too difficult to move forward because of that $4,000 daily drawdown regardless how much you
have in your account, which is something I failed to understand at the beginning. I thought that if I had profit in the account that the drawdown would increase as the profit increased.
That said, I've made money with the account. But my plan didn't turned out to be realistic.

Thanks for your good and honest feedback. Glad to hear things are going well.

That sucks about the daily drawdown, though. I was also thinking initially (and even at this point) that they would remove this as long as you risk your own money. In a way they're prohibiting growth of the trader, then. Did you talk to them about this?

I don't know what other companies do, but I have the impression that most won't really change the rules at any point or give you more loose parameters as you prove yourself. Which was much what I was asking in the OP.

The private account is going okay. A bit inconsistent, but overall moving in the right direction.

Best.

Howard

phantomtrader 
Reno, Nevada
Legendary Market Wizard

Howard Roark View Post
Thanks for your good and honest feedback. Glad to hear things are going well.

That sucks about the daily drawdown, though. I was also thinking initially (and even at this point) that they would remove this as long as you risk your own money. In a way they're prohibiting growth of the trader, then. Did you talk to them about this?

I don't know what other companies do, but I have the impression that most won't really change the rules at any point or give you more loose parameters as you prove yourself. Which was much what I was asking in the OP.

The private account is going okay. A bit inconsistent, but overall moving in the right direction.

Best.

Howard

No, I haven't talked to them about the issue. They have a policy, they obviously have their reasons. In any case, it was an experiment. I wouldn't say it failed, but revealed nuances about this type of prop trading that people may not realize.
It's true that you really can't advance beyond a certain level regardless your strategy. I agree with you that a trader should be able to utilize their profit for drawdown, perhaps with a limit of say 90% of the total profit in the account.

In the end, there are severe limitations as to how much you can achieve with these firms. If you make enough profit with them, take it out and open your own account. I haven't traded my personal account since I started with OneUP - too difficult to scalp two platforms simultaneously. Will be back trading my personal account soon.

Glad your personal account is going well.

ValhallaTrader 
Hamburg Germany

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: Sierra Chart,
Broker: AMP, EdgeClear
Trading: Futures
Thanks Given: 238
Thanks Received: 123

phantomtrader View Post

Good morning,

maybe Leeloo or Apex can be a solution for this problem.
Both have no daily drawdown if you are in the Performance account. The trailing stops after it’s past the “threshold”. Then you are able to work with your own parameters.

Sent using the NexusFi mobile app

"My only task as a trader is to protect my capital (risk management), the market will take care of the profits."

SBtrader82   is a Vendor

Thanks Given: 222
Thanks Received: 1,333

MR79 View Post
Good morning,

maybe Leeloo or Apex can be a solution for this problem.
Both have no daily drawdown if you are in the Performance account. The trailing stops after it’s past the “threshold”. Then you are able to work with your own parameters.

I think Leelo system is not viable, it is clearly designed so that a trader will break the rules no matter what.
The trailing drawdown is computed intraday on the open profits. So you must always remember what your open equity peak was.

Trading is hard enough without having to remember this.
Most of other companies, for instance Earn2trade or topstep remove the trailing drawdown once it reaches a certain level plus they don't compute intraday and they don't compute it using open profits.

When I see leelo's condition I wonder if they have ever traded a single day in their life and if they could pass the evaluation.

Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote

Last Updated on January 8, 2022

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts