NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Taking loss cutting losers managing positions HOW?

Discussion in Emini and Emicro Index

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one Cutloss with 41 posts (26 thanks)
    2. looks_two MNSTrading with 9 posts (17 thanks)
    3. looks_3 Sandpaddict with 8 posts (1 thanks)
    4. looks_4 SpeculatorSeth with 3 posts (3 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one bobwest with 4 thanks per post
    2. looks_two MNSTrading with 1.9 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 SpeculatorSeth with 1 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 Cutloss with 0.6 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 8,571 views
    2. thumb_up 62 thanks given
    3. group 10 followers
    1. forum 66 posts
    2. attach_file 24 attachments

Search this Thread

Taking loss cutting losers managing positions HOW?

Cutloss 
Midway florida

the es is soo weak today. rididculously weak compared to the other indexes.. going to take it off now could still pop though due to that energy build up. somone i sholdn gdownthe es for sure.. so it is setting up for a really nice long off of this coiled up energy should it spike and break above 4192!! it sure was greased on the sell this morning wasnt it@ someone was colelcting buys off of all thos sell stopss. ok here we go keeping the 4194.25 sell stop to take profit afterall mkt getting some wind in its sails. afterall.. ha if this one dowsn produce i am out.

i ahve better thiungs to do than nurse this es trade for apublic forum.

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
Build trailing stop for micro index(s)
Psychology and Money Management
NexusFi Journal Challenge - April 2024
Feedback and Announcements
Futures True Range Report
The Elite Circle
New Micros: Ultra 10-Year & Ultra T-Bond -- Live Now
Treasury Notes and Bonds
NT7 Indicator Script Troubleshooting - Camarilla Pivots
NinjaTrader

Cutloss 
Midway florida

ScreenHunter 20417

Cutloss 
Midway florida

ScreenHunter 20417

out of the trade at 4193.75 have a great day!! stick to your rules and play a basic strategy. you want a system where the entry needs to be good but not great and focus on the back end!!

this is just the tip of the iceberg of what i know and do every day.. you gotta be at the top of your game to perform every single day or STOP TRADING.

have a great day hope this live trade example let you see it takes patience and discipline to make money in the markets and guess what
A LITTLE LUCK!!
ScreenHunter 20419

ScreenHunter 20421

MNSTrading 
Grand Rapids, Michigan

Experience: None
Trading: Commodities and Russell
Thanks Given: 59
Thanks Received: 336

that was cool, thanks for taking the time.

Coming, they can't be denied. Going, they can't be detained.
Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
 Cutloss 
Midway florida

appreciate the shout out and i didnt meananythign negative towards the site futures io it seems like a cool an great resource so use it for yourself as best you can along with everything else out there.

lets try and keep this thread going anyone and everyone add ideas to taking losses or negative exits.

SpeculatorSeth   is a Vendor

Thanks Given: 22
Thanks Received: 1,018

Cutloss View Post
Feel free to use the term.. a friend of mine utilizes this method for his stop loss distance.

[...]

So basically ATR of the session * Max bar range of the session?

I've tried a bunch of different trailing stop type strategies, but they all seem to have the same issues. I always get better results with set targets. These are pretty easy to automate though. If this is correct I will post so people can test it.

Thanked by:
 Cutloss 
Midway florida

sure you can do it that way but you would actually need a rolling ATR so if you entered on say the 5 th bar from the open this would be your atr to use obviously it has its limits i mena if you get into higehr time frames the stops have the potetnial to be way too wide unless perhaps a long term stock trader and remember this has very little to do with an exit. this ONLY to get out of the trade once you enter.

it has nothing to do with exiting a trade or taking profit. the idea of a trailing stop is to get you out at a small gain or a small loss. the trailing stop of this exit only strategy has nothing to do with you taking profits you would need to use another measure or a positive exit (take profit formula). this is not about taking profits. just taking and managing a loss.

so if you buy at 12.30 long and on a 5 minute you would use a 5 minute ATR with 60 x 3 = 180 minutes /5= so your atr period wold 36 on the 5 min bars you can round up or down

if you bought in at say 1235 to 1239 you would use 37 as your atr period

multiplied by the largest bar range since the open of trading at 9.30 new york.

the rolling atr starts out as 1 then 2 then 3 all the way to 390 at the end of the day on a 1 minute chart
930 to 4 pm

THIS HAS EVERYTHING TO DO WITH EXITING A TRADE
it has nothing to do with TAKING PROFITS !!!

but yes if you set an atr period that you like that is sensitive enough for yoru purposes then all your system needs to monitor is the largest range bar since the open and this is usually during the 1st half hour unless there is a big new s report. on those days is is OK to use the biggest bar since 7 am if a big report and you want to incorporate a large volatility bar.

the whole idea of this strategy for loss is to allow your entry to stay the course and get into profits. it can be expensive though like all losses if you enter too early on a sell off so obviously a little common sense is needed and experience but sure i like what you did with it me personally i would use like a 12 atr periiod ona 5 minute or 120 on a 1 minute to get 2 full hours included.

a 5 minute at the end fo th day would be 390/5= 78 period 5 min atr

Cutloss 
Midway florida

even easier permutations would be to incorporate the vix in real time as a multiplier of sorts to the largest bar range printed in your time frame or just multiple sof teh largest bar
say teh largest bar is 4.75 points of es in the 1 min time frame

so
4.75 x.5
x1
x2
x2.5
x depending on what you want to do with it. it is wide open for interpretation and as BOb west said.. entry does matter but as i said it doesn not need to be exact for wide stops to work

Cutloss 
Midway florida

in answer to your problem with trailing stop systems not being any good when used in live trading is because the algos of the hft and real market makers can kind of guess from years of data and data today as to which trades were or were not thiers so they will keep dropping the market until they find those pesky stop losses based on volume thresholds traded at certain levels that is why you often see bars athat are large kick back into the trailing stops. A smart trader would incorporate logic into his stop based on volumes or tighten it and then re enter when you see all those trailing stop losses get hit but that is a thread for antoher time. because it would deal with entry and take profit.

the sky is the limit when trading and thinking about the markets just follwo basic trading strategy and be PATIENT onyour entires and exits thats all i can say. yeah es is slow compared to nasdaq futs but come on
i made 29 bucks in a lil over an hour on a 100 margin! not a bad return to margin ratio..did i get lucky.. maybe but if you do it over and over then maybe it is skill. who knows.
I am looking to get long this es at some point here because it wants to break 4200 and will at least test it. just a lil fyi

Cutloss 
Midway florida

long es now 4193.75 leet do the smart stop here

Last Updated on June 9, 2021

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts