NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

How much do you know about Bitcoin?

Discussion in Cryptocurrency

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one KevinB with 9 posts (20 thanks)
    2. looks_two AllSeeker with 7 posts (23 thanks)
    3. looks_3 bobwest with 6 posts (40 thanks)
    4. looks_4 BrianBacchus with 6 posts (16 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one bobwest with 6.7 thanks per post
    2. looks_two AllSeeker with 3.3 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 BrianBacchus with 2.7 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 KevinB with 2.2 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 8,753 views
    2. thumb_up 152 thanks given
    3. group 326 followers
    1. forum 51 posts
    2. attach_file 4 attachments

Search this Thread

How much do you know about Bitcoin?

bobwest 
Western Florida
Site Moderator

Experience: Advanced
Platform: Sierra Chart
Trading: ES, YM
Frequency: Several times daily
Duration: Minutes
Thanks Given: 57,495
Thanks Received: 26,292

Obviously I don't know that much about the real-world use of Bitcoin. It turns out that, up until yesterday, you could pay for a Tesla with it.

Not any more, though:

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/05/13/business/tesla-bitcoin-elon-musk.html

It turns out that Elon Musk decided that creating Bitcoins takes to much electricity, which adds too much to pollution.

Price of Bitcoin fell on the news, which brings up the volatility question in trading.

Bob.

When one door closes, another opens.
-- Cervantes, Don Quixote

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
How to apply profiles
Traders Hideout
Better Renko Gaps
The Elite Circle
NT7 Indicator Script Troubleshooting - Camarilla Pivots
NinjaTrader
Trade idea based off three indicators.
Traders Hideout
Cheap historycal L1 data for stocks
Stocks and ETFs

BrianBacchus 
Las Vegas

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: MultiCharts .NET
Trading: CL
Thanks Given: 7
Thanks Received: 37

I mean, even once you research it there's still some glaring issues. It's a "currency" that isn't often circulated at all. It's entire existence is basically for speculation. Since it can't rely on value from its primary function (being a currency) it has no intrinsic value. Historically that would mean it could drop to zero at any moment and this thing is basically a Ponzi scheme. However, BTC is going to be interesting to watch because it will answer the question "How would a Ponzi scheme behave if it were 'valued' at over $1 trillion, and it were global?"

Thanked by:

MNSTrading 
Grand Rapids, Michigan

Experience: None
Trading: Commodities and Russell
Thanks Given: 59
Thanks Received: 336

BrianBacchus View Post
"How would a Ponzi scheme behave if it were 'valued' at over $1 trillion, and it were global?"

Our lives are a kind of ponzi scheme, many forms based on emptiness.

Coming, they can't be denied. Going, they can't be detained.
Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
 Gianni78bari 
Bari, Italy

Experience: Beginner
Platform: NinjaTrader
Trading: Emini ES
Thanks Given: 120
Thanks Received: 55

MNSTrading View Post

Yes,I'm afraid you're right

Thanked by:
 KevinB 
Louisville, KY

Platform: TradingView, Tradestation
Trading: ES
Thanks Given: 8
Thanks Received: 20

Playing devil's advocate here: Gold is not a "currency" - I can't take it to the store and buy something with it. Gold has limited real-world application - it only has a minor role in production of electronics. Gold's entire existence must be for speculation and therefore it has no intrinsic value.

On the intrinsic value argument, an example:
If I send $1 billion to someone on the other side of the world using Bitcoin, I can do it for pennies in transaction costs and the transaction posts in <20 minutes. If I go through a bank, I may easily pay 5+% for a wire and it may take days/weeks to post depending on what banks I use. This will require multiple phone calls and an in-person signature. Ultimately, the bank may reject the transaction based on a number of factors. Bitcoin's intrinsic value lies in its ability to transfer value cross-border over a network without friction and without a trusted third party.

BrianBacchus View Post
I mean, even once you research it there's still some glaring issues. It's a "currency" that isn't often circulated at all. It's entire existence is basically for speculation. Since it can't rely on value from its primary function (being a currency) it has no intrinsic value. Historically that would mean it could drop to zero at any moment and this thing is basically a Ponzi scheme. However, BTC is going to be interesting to watch because it will answer the question "How would a Ponzi scheme behave if it were 'valued' at over $1 trillion, and it were global?"

Gianni78bari 
Bari, Italy

Platform: NinjaTrader
Trading: Emini ES
Thanks Given: 120
Thanks Received: 55

bobwest View Post
Obviously I don't know that much about the real-world use of Bitcoin. It turns out that, up until yesterday, you could pay for a Tesla with it.

Not any more, though:

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/05/13/business/tesla-bitcoin-elon-musk.html

It turns out that Elon Musk decided that creating Bitcoins takes to much electricity, which adds too much to pollution.

Price of Bitcoin fell on the news, which brings up the volatility question in trading.

Bob.

For example polkadot has a better energy-efficient than bitcoin, maybe it's only a tactic by Musk to pump another crypto as he did with dogecoin.

Thanked by:
 BrianBacchus 
Las Vegas

Platform: MultiCharts .NET
Trading: CL
Thanks Given: 7
Thanks Received: 37

"Gold has limited real-world application"

Yes, and if it had to fall back onto only its intrinsic value, that's the rock bottom value of a lump of Gold. BTC doesn't even have that much. But it DOES have the carbon footprint of The Netherlands, so we have that going for us

KevinB View Post
Playing devil's advocate here: Gold is not a "currency" - I can't take it to the store and buy something with it. Gold has limited real-world application - it only has a minor role in production of electronics. Gold's entire existence must be for speculation and therefore it has no intrinsic value.

On the intrinsic value argument, an example:
If I send $1 billion to someone on the other side of the world using Bitcoin, I can do it for pennies in transaction costs and the transaction posts in <20 minutes. If I go through a bank, I may easily pay 5+% for a wire and it may take days/weeks to post depending on what banks I use. This will require multiple phone calls and an in-person signature. Ultimately, the bank may reject the transaction based on a number of factors. Bitcoin's intrinsic value lies in its ability to transfer value cross-border over a network without friction and without a trusted third party.

Thanked by:
 KevinB 
Louisville, KY

Platform: TradingView, Tradestation
Trading: ES
Thanks Given: 8
Thanks Received: 20

BrianBacchus View Post
"Gold has limited real-world application"

Yes, and if it had to fall back onto only its intrinsic value, that's the rock bottom value of a lump of Gold. BTC doesn't even have that much. But it DOES have the carbon footprint of The Netherlands, so we have that going for us

A purist would argue that Bitcoin is at least in concept a full-stack monetary system, not just a "currency." What do you think the carbon footprint of protecting the US dollar's global reserve currency status is? In 1995, building server farms so people who thought the internet was just a fad could have access to interactive mapping services (MapQuest) seemed like a ridiculous waste of resources, too.

Thanked by:

Fluid Fox 
Bangor, Maine
Legendary Retail Failure

Platform: NinjaTrader 8
Trading: MNQ
Thanks Given: 2,968
Thanks Received: 2,711

I know a little. What's important to me is the underlying technology of BTC; broadly, distributed ledger technology (DLT) and blockchain.

I think if you want to better understand what BTC is and how it works, you might want to learn about what DLT and blockchain are first.

I found this sites definitions easy to comprehend:

DLT: https://www.investopedia.com/terms/d/distributed-ledgers.asp

Blockchain: https://www.investopedia.com/terms/b/blockchain.asp

There's nothing to think about.

- Mark Douglas
Thanked by:

AllSeeker 
Mumbai, India
Legendary Pratik_4Clover

Platform: TradingView & ZerodhaKite
Trading: NIFTY, BANKNIFTY
Frequency: Daily
Duration: Minutes
Thanks Given: 5,249
Thanks Received: 5,012

MNSTrading View Post

Out of shear curiosity, is that Mandelbrot set in your avatar? If yes, you seemed to have researched it, so I must ask another one, is there any trading application of it? That you may have discovered?

//For purpose of staying on topic.

Gold has lots of real world applications, ask that to someone who just got married in India. Gold is the mother of all currencies.

Basically no body in India (which is worlds 1.5/7.5 th population) will ask you how much bitcoin you own or care about it but its a matter of grave importance as to how much gold you own or can buy for marriage ceremony.

Its very similar to how diamond is important for marriages in US/EU

A very important real world application.

- I semi jest

Thanked by:

Last Updated on July 29, 2021

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts