NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

The largest drawdown you've experienced was...

Discussion in Psychology and Money Management

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one Big Mike with 4 posts (13 thanks)
    2. looks_two wldman with 3 posts (28 thanks)
    3. looks_3 feinbern with 3 posts (5 thanks)
    4. looks_4 vmodus with 2 posts (5 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one wldman with 9.3 thanks per post
    2. looks_two TheShrike with 4.5 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 snax with 3.5 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 Big Mike with 3.3 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 5,191 views
    2. thumb_up 101 thanks given
    3. group 264 followers
    1. forum 29 posts
    2. attach_file 0 attachments

Search this Thread

The largest drawdown you've experienced was...

wldman 
Chicago Illinois USA
Legendary Market Wizard

Experience: Advanced
Broker: IB, ToS
Trading: /ES, US Equities/Options
Frequency: Several times daily
Duration: Hours
Thanks Given: 2,046
Thanks Received: 9,491

"Hold" Ha. No, you trade your ass off. I was a local and part of a JBO group, so we had capital and access to more for deposit. Plus, some members of that group were quite venerable in the trading community. So, I benefited from their experience, reputation, and capital. Remember "drawdown" is not necessarily "lost" because positions are not closed. Realized loss is a different thing. There were some doozies associated with working out that situation.

I would say that the "recovery" and trade around necessary to get square did hold the lessons of a lifetime, for sure. What was I going to do at that point, get a job on the loading docks or submit to cubicle life? Refusing to die is not living, but never quitting will teach you how to live. One day and one trade at a time.

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
My NT8 Volume Profile Split by Asian/Euro/Open
NinjaTrader
Online prop firm The Funded Trader (TFT) going under?
Traders Hideout
Deepmoney LLM
Elite Quantitative GenAI/LLM
New Micros: Ultra 10-Year & Ultra T-Bond -- Live Now
Treasury Notes and Bonds
Build trailing stop for micro index(s)
Psychology and Money Management

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Get funded firms 2023/2024 - Any recommendations or word …
59 thanks
Funded Trader platforms
36 thanks
GFIs1 1 DAX trade per day journal
22 thanks
NexusFi site changelog and issues/problem reporting
22 thanks
The Program
20 thanks
 MrTrader 
ITAJAI SC/BRAZIL

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: NinjaTrader
Broker: Clear Corretora
Trading: DOLFUT, WINFUT
Thanks Given: 1,314
Thanks Received: 225

wldman View Post
Refusing to die is not living, but never quitting will teach you how to live. One day and one trade at a time.

Thank you Sr., wise words.

Sent using the NexusFi mobile app

Thanked by:

TheShrike 
Bridgeport, Ct

Experience: None
Broker: Tasty
Trading: Fops
Thanks Given: 1,588
Thanks Received: 922

Not to hijack the thread, but I think having guys like @wldman around are essential for retaining what I refer to as "tribal knowledge". It's kind of a weird amorphous collective intelligence where the knowledge of the really experienced guys mix with the new ideas of the younger guys and makes this forum all the better. Wow! I'm just really blown away and appreciative thinking about it.

lightsun47
Toronto, Canada

Thanks Given: 492
Thanks Received: 296

MrTrader View Post
Thank you Sr., wise words.

Would you believe the best set up for my trade occurs only once a week, but, it gives me 99% confirmation what is about to happen and I trade it smoothly and nicely.

P. S. It's not a hundred percent because there's no one hundred percent anywhere!

sammysam 
North Canton Ohio

Platform: Ninja
Broker: Zen Fire/ Mirus
Trading: ES
Thanks Given: 338
Thanks Received: 71

vmodus View Post
My largest drawdown was about 70%, not futures, but my 401k (I still selected that as my answer). I worked for a technology infrastructure company that suffered when the dot-com crash happened, and my portfolio was heavily in our own company's stock. Buy high sell low.

Futures, I think my largest was a 30% account drawdown, over a span of time. I cannot recall my largest single position drawdown, but it could not have been too large. I'm still here.

After suffering two separate 40% drawdowns, I have learned to sit on my hands. Overtrading was a ki8ller for me. I have also learned that trading higher time frames helped in keeping me from jumping into too many trades.

Thanked by:

Tiffsgreta 
Kanab utah/usa

Experience: Beginner
Platform: Zaner 360, Sierra Charts
Broker: Gain Capital, DeCarley Trading
Trading: ES, Options
Thanks Given: 359
Thanks Received: 34

Big Mike View Post
Hi guys,

A new poll has been created to discuss this topic.

Please vote and discuss.

Mike

I have been trading thru a broker, mostly options that have expired worthless. Had good trades in 2020 untill the end, but this last 3-4 months have been killer with the unexpected rises in the S&P and and the grains for which I blame scarcity and fear of loss of food supply. Looking forward to market evening out with the advent of covid vaccines and the stabilization of countries where production was down

Thanked by:

Rrrracer 
On the road
Webinar Host
Trading Nomad

Platform: TradingView
Broker: Oanda
Trading: FX
Thanks Given: 17,582
Thanks Received: 9,752

TheShrike View Post
Not to hijack the thread, but I think having guys like @wldman around are essential for retaining what I refer to as "tribal knowledge". It's kind of a weird amorphous collective intelligence where the knowledge of the really experienced guys mix with the new ideas of the younger guys and makes this forum all the better. Wow! I'm just really blown away and appreciative thinking about it.

Totally agree, and love the analogy. We learn not only thru experience, but the wisdom handed down from one generation to the next.

Good to see your voice again Dan @wldman

Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote

mtzimmer1 
Upstate NY
Recovering Method Hopper

Platform: TOS
Broker: TD Ameritrade
Trading: Equities, Treasuries, Gold
Thanks Given: 2,201
Thanks Received: 1,918

My current drawdown is tied for deepest at ~15%. I started trading with nearly my entire net worth (>80%) - thankfully I've not ever blown up an account. Being well-capitalized, risk-conscious, and skeptical of ones own abilities goes a long way in stunting risk of ruin.

Notable point: I've only been trading for 2.5 years. I'm sure I will endure drawdowns much deeper than 15% over the next few decades.

-Zimmer

Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
srip
Bettendorf iowa

Thanks Given: 2
Thanks Received: 0

I monitor my account on a regular basis, I calculate my returns on a daily Monthly and quarterly ETC...
I also monitor my drawdown from my highest account level to the recent low as well you can calculate Max drawdown in a month week ETC... I prefer year Max drawdown rather than a short time. Last year my max drawdown was approximately 50 % yet by year end I had exceeded the returns of S&P 500 and also other Indexes. I have desire to beat other experts in the field of Investing.
My trading technique is by selling naked options in Index, stocks and futures. You need to keep 50 to 60 % available to cover the inevitable volatility related drawdowns. I am using delta neutral in managing my total account. I do buy stock and futures to hold. I usually accept assignments and then manage that position.

Fonz 
Miami, Fl

Experience: Advanced
Platform: Tradestation, Jigsaw
Trading: Futures
Thanks Given: 24
Thanks Received: 64

A short strangle destroyed 85% of my option account.. Years ago.
I watched the consequences of a bad event during an entire weekend, agonizing. I was lucky to lose 85% only and about 2 years of gains.
A real lesson learned.

Thanked by:

Last Updated on February 28, 2021

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts