NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Is scalping Emini a sustainable trading strategy?

Discussion in Emini and Emicro Index

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one loantelligence with 12 posts (31 thanks)
    2. looks_two Trentatron with 8 posts (12 thanks)
    3. looks_3 SpeculatorSeth with 7 posts (18 thanks)
    4. looks_4 bobwest with 6 posts (35 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one SBtrader82 with 7.3 thanks per post
    2. looks_two bobwest with 5.8 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 striveforwisdom with 5 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 loantelligence with 2.6 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 32,062 views
    2. thumb_up 239 thanks given
    3. group 51 followers
    1. forum 95 posts
    2. attach_file 11 attachments

Search this Thread

Is scalping Emini a sustainable trading strategy?

loantelligence 
Syracuse, NY

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: Ninja Trader
Broker: Mirus Futures/Zen-Fire
Trading: NQ
Thanks Given: 31
Thanks Received: 189

I see a lot of your boxes are formed by breakouts...the video you included showed a box being formed but it was already in the works when it stated to get in I guess...can you see it coming or do you get in when the box forms or when it states to get in ...and have you ever looked at MNQ.....

and just a note.... to the person who asked...the renko I stated is actually Unirenko....where you state the offset/the size of your bar/ and then the reversal size....where as renko just state the size of the bar....as it doesnt show reversal....

Thanked by:

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
What broker to use for trading palladium futures
Commodities
MC PL editor upgrade
MultiCharts
Trade idea based off three indicators.
Traders Hideout
Quantum physics & Trading dynamics
The Elite Circle
Pivot Indicator like the old SwingTemp by Big Mike
NinjaTrader

Trowhaway3014 
Hanover Lower Saxony Germany

Experience: Master
Platform: Ninjatrader
Trading: Emini
Thanks Given: 0
Thanks Received: 8

Scalping itself is often called a "strategy" which it in my opinion isn't, it's a trading style which for most people are the hardest to become profitable with. If you yourself got a strategy or system that works on smaller timeframes consistently that could make you consistent.

Thanked by:

Tripken 
Knoxville, TN/USA
Market Wizard

Experience: Beginner
Platform: TradeStation
Broker: TradeStation
Trading: ES
Frequency: Several times daily
Duration: Minutes
Thanks Given: 1,583
Thanks Received: 1,368

loantelligence View Post
I see a lot of your boxes are formed by breakouts...the video you included showed a box being formed but it was already in the works when it stated to get in I guess...can you see it coming or do you get in when the box forms or when it states to get in ...and have you ever looked at MNQ.....

and just a note.... to the person who asked...the renko I stated is actually Unirenko....where you state the offset/the size of your bar/ and then the reversal size....where as renko just state the size of the bar....as it doesnt show reversal....

Sorry, didn't explain it well. The boxes I draw manually and place them to mark possible/successful 1 pt. scalps. So they're of no use to my trading, the white/blue pivot lines are what I use and they plot in real time. So yes many of the trades are BO's of the previous S/R areas. The other trade I look for using them is during PB's in a trend if there is enough room I scalp a point going back "to" the prev. S/R. Many times those trades also BO and it's a 2 point possibility.

Yes, I have looked at the NQ/MNQ several times, the movement is just too nerve racking for me. I looked at it again after lancelottrader's excellent webinar.

BullandBear19
Vancouver, Canada

Thanks Given: 1
Thanks Received: 8

Slower markets are typically better to learn on, however more range typically provides better scalping opportunity in my experience. Scalping typically needs a much higher win rate than swinging, and a lot more experience necessary to be able to stay out of trouble.

striveforwisdom 
Washington D.C., United States of America

Platform: Tradovate
Broker: Tradovate
Trading: CL, MCL
Thanks Given: 42
Thanks Received: 31

I think scalping is sustainable. It all depends on the expectancy of your system and self-control.

I only trade the NQ and scalping is what I do from 9:30-10AM, sometimes 10:30AM max if there is a lot of volatility and the market is trending strongly. I take about 2-4 trades max with the size of only 1 contract during this period if the market is volatile enough for me to take trades on a certain day. If there is no volatility, I don't trade that day. I used to trade eagerly, wanting to make money everyday even if it wasn't volatile enough for me. But, I learned the lesson that the market is not a daily annuity for some people the hard way, and I will explain later in my post.

My current system has 50% win rate and my reward to risk ratio is 2:1, so my profits are 2x larger than my losses if a trade works in my favor. I do this by using bracket orders with pre-defined tick amounts for the stop loss and profit target. My current system has worked well for me and I am very comfortable trading it. However, there is a catch. If I have 2 consecutive losses, I stop trading for the day. If I have two consecutive winning trades, I stop trading for the day. If I make 3-4 trades and I roughly breakeven, I stop trading for the day. These three rules are to specifically protect me from overtrading, greed, impatience, and revenge trading. These rules also help me stay profitable. If I stick to them, I make money. If I don't stick to them, I lose money.

The three evils for a scalper, in my opinion, are: greed, impatience, and overtrading. I say this because I have experienced it. I used to sling for a high win-rate system, overtrade, make bad entries, not trade around key support/resistance levels, trade in a choppy low-volatility market, revenge trade, etc. The result of this, I blew up an account. My greed was unchecked. I had no patience, no discipline, and no clear system with strict rules. However, I am grateful for that experience because it made me better and pushed me in the right direction.

I still make mistakes and my system is not perfect, but it works for me and will have to adapt if it becomes unprofitable. So, in conclusion, I think scalping is sustainable but with strict rules against your human nature. But, for some people, like me, account blowups can teach you this and I never want to trade like that again.

Pablherasgarcia 
Madrid

Platform: Ninjatrader
Broker: Ninjatrader
Trading: CL, ES
Thanks Given: 10
Thanks Received: 57

loantelligence View Post
Actually I use 500 Volume.....you want volume involved to confirm momentum and direction....here is a picture of one of my charts blown up to see it better....notice the Cumulative Delta on the bottom chart.....breaks out of the bollinger .....when the price (upper chart) is inside of its bollinger...its a transition move from buy to sell or vise versa or just chop.....(That bollinger represents a no Trade Zone)....I use these charts to leg into a position....start with one contract...if it doesnt make 6-10 times the commission... but possibly reverses... but the Kagi is still green/red ....I can enter another contract (kind of like dollar cost averaging)....may have 4 - ???? no. of contracts before it turns in my direction.....again looking for 6-10 times costs...what you also see is an ema 14 (red line) and an EMA 9(blue line) as well as an OBV Chocolate LIne and a Chaikin money flow line(shows the underlying buyer/selling pressure and are leading indicators). I usually wait for the Red or Blue to break out of the bollinger before I get in...if the kagi crosses back over the ema line....get out...this works on ES, GC, CL, RTY, YM...I stay with with MNQ...my choice instrument....chart is from last friday......just noticed this example... was kagi bars created with a Line Break 5 volume 500.....try it either way...with volume or line break... .

Hi!
I find quite interesting who you use bollinger with Cumulative Delta and with price and I have done a couple of strategies with Bloodhound. In the first one I use a 15 min timeframe chart for setting the bias (long or short) and a 1 min chart with Dynamic SR for entries. The bollinguer with Cumulative Delta did not work well and I used Bollinger with price only.
In the second strategy I used a 500 vol. Line break chart. It seems to work too well to be true, do you or anybody know if Line break charts repaint as renko? I you want me to share more detail of the strategies I have done, I donīt mind to share it with you... the ideas are coming from you.
Thank you.

1 min backtest

Line Break

Line Break chart

loantelligence 
Syracuse, NY

Platform: Ninja Trader
Broker: Mirus Futures/Zen-Fire
Trading: NQ
Thanks Given: 31
Thanks Received: 189

if you use Renko in NT you also have to have slippage of the same size as your Bar so if you were using a 2,5,10 unirenko....slippage would have to be set at 5(the actual size of the bar).....now when you do a backtest you are going to get number that are closer to the truth and you may not like the numbers........however is you can have the slippage set and get good numbers....you may have something...would love to see some of your testing....cumulative delta works on NQ but not on RTY....ES and Cl and GC also work well....

Thanked by:
Antares66
Berlin+Germany

Thanks Given: 8
Thanks Received: 41

I have heard and seen so much about using market profile (order flow) or volume profile but on futures.io not many traders seem to use these tools. The most ones use linear charts and/or tick charts. Is market profile only hyped by brokers and trading software companies?

Thanked by:
 striveforwisdom 
Washington D.C., United States of America

Platform: Tradovate
Broker: Tradovate
Trading: CL, MCL
Thanks Given: 42
Thanks Received: 31

Antares66 View Post
I have heard and seen so much about using market profile (order flow) or volume profile but on futures.io not many traders seem to use these tools. The most ones use linear charts and/or tick charts. Is market profile only hyped by brokers and trading software companies?

I don't know if it is just hyped by brokers and trading software companies. But, I use it in addition to my 5 range chart and quite like it.

SpeculatorSeth   is a Vendor

Thanks Given: 22
Thanks Received: 1,018

Pablherasgarcia View Post
do you or anybody know if Line break charts repaint as renko? I you want me to share more detail of the strategies I have done, I donīt mind to share it with you... the ideas are coming from you.
Thank you.

RemoveLastBar is referenced multiple times in the LineBreakBarsType. As a general rule I'd be weary about any backtest run on bars that are not time based. Even if it's not redrawing they have a tendency to take trades in fast action where the simulator won't give accurate backtest results.

- SpeculatorSeth
Thanked by:

Last Updated on January 7, 2024

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts