NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Cryptocurrencies 101 -- what I've learned so far

Discussion in Cryptocurrency

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one SMCJB with 23 posts (58 thanks)
    2. looks_two Sandpaddict with 5 posts (6 thanks)
    3. looks_3 mongoose with 5 posts (10 thanks)
    4. looks_4 mscholder with 5 posts (13 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one Big Mike with 9 thanks per post
    2. looks_two bobwest with 3.7 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 mscholder with 2.6 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 SMCJB with 2.5 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 13,820 views
    2. thumb_up 181 thanks given
    3. group 43 followers
    1. forum 65 posts
    2. attach_file 9 attachments

Search this Thread

Cryptocurrencies 101 -- what I've learned so far

mongoose 
Chicago, IL

Experience: None
Platform: oil super computer
Trading: multiple
Thanks Given: 817
Thanks Received: 433

Meant to add a picture to the last post but it wouldn't let me add via the edit function.

Sent using the NexusFi mobile app

Thanked by:

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
Build trailing stop for micro index(s)
Psychology and Money Management
NT7 Indicator Script Troubleshooting - Camarilla Pivots
NinjaTrader
ZombieSqueeze
Platforms and Indicators
My NT8 Volume Profile Split by Asian/Euro/Open
NinjaTrader
Deepmoney LLM
Elite Quantitative GenAI/LLM

SMCJB 
Houston TX
Legendary Market Wizard

Experience: Advanced
Platform: TT and Stellar
Broker: Advantage Futures
Trading: Primarily Energy but also a little Equities, Fixed Income, Metals and Crypto.
Frequency: Many times daily
Duration: Never
Thanks Given: 4,375
Thanks Received: 10,192

Maybe this was obvious.. maybe not... but you know there is SushiSwap but no WaffleSwap that I know of!

Anyway onto todays news....

Whoops: Crypto Exchange Accidentally Sells Bitcoin at 88% Discount
https://wordpress.futurism.com/whoops-crypto-exchange-accidentally-sells-bitcoin-at-88-discount

Thanked by:
 mongoose 
Chicago, IL

So a technical error let's them sell bitcoin at a huge discount then they try and back out of it by saying it couldn't be sold in the first place because the exchange didn't have it? Is this a perk of running a DeFi exchange? Would they be locking accounts and giving money back if they charged to much?

Thanked by:

DavidHP 
Isla Mujeres, MX
Legendary Market Wizard

Platform: NinjaTrader
Broker: Ninjatrader / Optimus Futures / AmpFutures
Trading: ES / 6E / 6B / CL
Frequency: Every few days
Duration: Minutes
Thanks Given: 11,328
Thanks Received: 2,743

mongoose View Post
Meant to add a picture to the last post but it wouldn't let me add via the edit function.

LOL CAKE is up 38% today

Rejoice in the Thunderstorms of Life . . .
Knowing it's not about Clouds or Wind. . .
But Learning to Dance in the Rain ! ! !
Follow me on Twitter Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
 mongoose 
Chicago, IL

DavidHP View Post
LOL CAKE is up 38% today

Thanked by:
Ozquant
Brisbane Queensland Australia

Thanks Given: 167
Thanks Received: 380

What ive learned so far , this thread is just one huge pisstake , too bad if you got something decent to share .. Who'd bother

Big Mike 
Manta, Ecuador
Site Administrator
Developer
Swing Trader

Platform: Custom solution
Broker: IBKR
Trading: Stocks & Futures
Frequency: Every few days
Duration: Weeks
Thanks Given: 33,175
Thanks Received: 101,541

From gate.io

Screenshot_20210314-225219

We're here to help: just ask the community or contact our Help Desk

Quick Links: Change your Username or Register as a Vendor
Searching for trading reviews? Review this list
Lifetime Elite Membership: Sign-up for only $149 USD
Exclusive money saving offers from our Site Sponsors: Browse Offers
Report problems with the site: Using the NexusFi changelog thread
Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Started this thread Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

Blash 
Chicago, IL
Legendary Market Chamois

Platform: NT8,NT7,TWS
Broker: InteractiveBrokers, S5T, IQFeed
Trading: The one I'm creating in the present....Index Futures mini/micro, ZF
Thanks Given: 7,341
Thanks Received: 4,518

Ozquant View Post
What ive learned so far , this thread is just one huge pisstake , too bad if you got something decent to share .. Who'd bother

I'm sure in time this thread will develop into a great deposit of crypto information. It's only been about 40 days since @Big Mike started it.

Here's my contribution: DO NOT FORGET YOUR CRYPTO WALLETS PASSWORD!....lol

Ron

...My calamity is My providence, outwardly it is fire and vengeance, but inwardly it is light and mercy...
The steed of this Valley is pain; and if there be no pain this journey will never end.
Buy Low And Sell High (read left to right or right to left....lol)
Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
 mscholder 
Incline Village + NV or elsewhere in the world

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: E*Trade, TOS, IB & T'wrks
Trading: Emini ES
Thanks Given: 18
Thanks Received: 28

Ozquant View Post

I want to really thank Mike for starting this thread plus all the humor contributors.

My hope is to see some serious comments soon and invite Ozquant and others to follow-up.

The fact that MassMutual, a mutual life insurance company, bought BTC and Goldman Sachs is now apparently advising its clients to dabble in crypto suggests strongly that blockchain technology might possibly be similar to the launch of the internet than a repeat of the 1636-7 Dutch tulip bulb market bubble.

I would really like to see some credible feedback based on real experience from some serious traders/investors on day, swing or long term trading with cryptos.

Here's my limited experience and 101 input.

1. Accept that it could be a bubble and use only a very small percent of your portfolio (1, 2 or 3%) and prepare to lose most or all of it.

With all of life's distraction and my nomad life style, my first purchase was just in March 2021 with 0.1 BTC coins at a market price of $53,833 along with .25 ETH near $2,000 plus small amounts of a few other coins like BCH and LTC. I have capped my purchases at 1% of my portfolio and have added some portions, so I now own 1 whole ETC and 1 whole BCH plus .2 BTC and some other cryptos.

2. Be ready for less information than you typically get for your stock brokers.

I was shocked that Kraken only shows my crypto holdings and the market prices but not my basis in each crypto. I have to track that in a spreadsheet to know when I may making or losing money on each crypto trade. Supposedly they can display my cost basis if I open a margin account, “Quickly and easily leverage Kraken funds to go long or short on a currency pair by up to 5x”.... No F***ing thank you!!!

From minute to minute, market prices usually are not the same on each exchange. I use The Crypto App to follow market prices when not at my computer and Kraken prices are often different than The Crypto App, which I think are from Coinbase. Fortunately, from what I have seen usually there are only small variances, a few dollars on BTC and ETH or a few pennies on less expensive cryptos.

3. Expect funding delays

It took Kraken several days (about a week) to credit my wire transfer to my account apparently since Kraken uses small financial institutions to process wire transfers.

4. Plan for Two-factor authentication issues delaying short and long term activities.

I avoided the crash in BTC at the end of 2017 due to some opaque error in Authenticator on my cell phone preventing two-factor authentication required to setup a crypto account. Sadly, I also missed an entry in BTC at around $20,000 last year and only recently managed to “Homer Simpson” the Authenticator app into working to open and fund my Kraken account.

5. Anticipate less, slow, or non-existent customer service

I originally contacted Coinbase to explore crypto trading in 2017 while on a vacation in Vancouver, B.C. Recently, I tried to finalize and fund a Coinbase account but could not since they think I am Canadian and I cannot correct their bad assumption without first showing them my Canadian passport or documentation of my change in citizenship???? Scans of my US passport with my birthplace displayed and my Nevada driver's license are just not good enough for them to accept my US citizenship.

My personal market observation is that there may be some rotation under way as the recent leaders, BTC and ETH, slip from record highs while BCH and LTC climbed vigorously in the past week.

I have some modest profits and need to decide whether I am a swing trader, an investor, a lucky fool soon to lose it all, etc.

I would really appreciate feedback regarding any reasonably successful fundamental, technical, profit target based or even clairvoyant approaches to timing trade entries and exits for cryptos.

Also, it would be great to get feedback on more credible sources of crypto information/opinion to review. I have been viewing some Real Vision crypto webcasts but would like to hear some less bullish one also.

Happy trading,

Michael

Sandpaddict 
Vancouver, Canada

Platform: Ninjatrader, MT4
Broker: IB, Global Prime
Trading: Futures CFDs
Thanks Given: 975
Thanks Received: 637

I too hope there might be some decent discussion surrounding crypto.

I understand HOW it works but curious about the quirks compared to stock/futures/forex trading.

I'm Canadian and understand that might add some complexity? Maybe not?

Also Canada had some regulations for crypto exhanges that go into effect today. April 19th.

I was going to fund (for the first time to trade) on Binace through Newton or Paytrie but was curious how Canada and Binance work out.

Any suggestions would be great.

Thank you

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

Last Updated on May 21, 2022

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts