NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

My Indicator Thread- Just a placeholder

Discussion in NinjaTrader

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one forrestang with 33 posts (33 thanks)
    2. looks_two maxuscz with 4 posts (0 thanks)
    3. looks_3 Kharmaz with 4 posts (1 thanks)
    4. looks_4 trendisyourfriend with 3 posts (0 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one forrestang with 1 thanks per post
    2. looks_two JayB with 0.5 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 jmont1 with 0.3 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 Kharmaz with 0.3 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 17,117 views
    2. thumb_up 40 thanks given
    3. group 19 followers
    1. forum 61 posts
    2. attach_file 29 attachments

Search this Thread

My Indicator Thread- Just a placeholder

forrestang 
Chicago IL

Experience: None
Platform: Ninja, MT4, Matlab
Broker: CQG, AMP, MB, DTN
Trading: E/U, G/U
Thanks Given: 354
Thanks Received: 1,047

brettji View Post
Thanks for posting the trend grabber. Is there anyway it could be made into channel instead? Maybe showing the 32ema. It reminds me of the Sonic R System Strategy from ForexFactory.

See attached.

Brett

Howdy... I'm not sure what you mean by a channel outside of what the Top and Bottom MAs form?

Started this thread Reply With Quote

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
Are there any eval firms that allow you to sink to your …
Traders Hideout
Deepmoney LLM
Elite Quantitative GenAI/LLM
New Micros: Ultra 10-Year & Ultra T-Bond -- Live Now
Treasury Notes and Bonds
Exit Strategy
NinjaTrader
ZombieSqueeze
Platforms and Indicators

forrestang 
Chicago IL

jmont1 View Post
@forrestang I'm mainly a day trader so this would be useful. Thanks for all the effort. I look forward to a version you have created.

Howdy sir.

I'm basically just building this for YOUR use-case. I could make it such that it would work for everyone and be a bit more universal, but for now I'd rather just build based on how you plan on using it, as it would be simpler to do, and I think its not something many people are going to be needing.
  • Do you plan on using this on one instrument at a time?
  • How often do you hold trades outside of the day session?
  • As I mentioned earlier, NT does not store all the trades in an easy way to reference. So it is possible that on a restart of your PC, trades taken earlier will be missing. Is this a problem? I.e., would it be sufficient just for you to capture the trade time from when you just START trading, in the case prior trades are not captured?

I've got a version for you to test right now. This is the bare bones indie. It has no pretty customization, as I just need you to figure out if this does what you need it to do.

Also, this version now, updates only on each-tic. So that means, it does not count EVERY second, as I have not added a timing event yet(I will do that after you test it). So, essentially, the timer is updated each tic, not each second. So if the chart sits there, and no new tics come in(overnight), it will sit on the same time until a new tic appears... but it will update to the correct time when a new tic arrives. This is only an issue during SUPER slow times(I guess it wont be a problem for you?). Again, I plan on adding a timing event later.

This version has VERY basic error checking right now. If you don't have a recent trade on, it will simply show "noTrade" in the lower left hand corner. once you take a trade(or it captures one from recent data), it will show the time elapsed.

Also of note, is that it will likely only show the LAST trade taken, irrespective of what chart you have open. I.e., if you have a position open in EurUsd, but have Gbp/Usd open, the timer will show the time for Eur/Usd. This is why I asked if you trade multiple things at once, b/c if you do not, I dont have to worry and create additional code.

Also of note, I do not own NT, so I can only test this on the default Sim101 account. I added something in that I've never used, and that is the account selector. I'm assuming ur using a live account? If so, you need to let me know if this works, as I have no way of testing it on my end.

So at any rate, run this for a week or so, and figure out if it works the way you think it should(get a good sample of trades). Let me know what does/does not function properly.

2021-01-27_104415

Attached Files
Elite Membership required to download: TradeTimer.zip
Thanked by:
 maxuscz 
Brno, Czech republic

Experience: Beginner
Platform: NinjaTrader
Trading: Emini ES
Thanks Given: 12
Thanks Received: 6

God bless you, man for ReversalBar indicator

I need add opacity for ColorCongestion or ColorReversal cose need to see original color of candle.
I don't find sample where to see that part of setting - how add opacity to indicator setup menu

Best regards
Maxu

forrestang 
Chicago IL

maxuscz View Post
God bless you, man for ReversalBar indicator

I need add opacity for ColorCongestion or ColorReversal cose need to see original color of candle.
I don't find sample where to see that part of setting - how add opacity to indicator setup menu

Best regards
Maxu

I'm not sure I understand you, but I think you just want to be able to see the ORIGINAL color of the bar depending on your settings. See this modified version of the indicator. It will allow you to set ANY of the colors to TRANSPARENT, and it will show the original color of the bar.

Use this v2 version.
2021-01-28_115804

Attached Files
Elite Membership required to download: ReversalBarV2.zip
Thanked by:
 maxuscz 
Brno, Czech republic

Thank you. It is better 8)

I dont know why but I have no any gray candles on my chart. I see it on your chart but no one on my chart.. and I dont know why

I try to play with congestion colors : If I add gray golor with some % of transparent - I can see original color of candles and same time see if it congestion cose it will be looked more dark or something like that.
This way is better for me than change color. Im totally noob in trading and all nonstandart visual information bother me

forrestang 
Chicago IL

maxuscz View Post
Thank you. It is better 8)

I dont know why but I have no any gray candles on my chart. I see it on your chart but no one on my chart.. and I dont know why

I try to play with congestion colors : If I add gray golor with some % of transparent - I can see original color of candles and same time see if it congestion cose it will be looked more dark or something like that.
This way is better for me than change color. Im totally noob in trading and all nonstandart visual information bother me

I have to say, I'm struggling to understand what your post is saying? I'm not sure what you mean by, "If I add gray golor with some % of transparent"?

You can't add a % of transparent, as it's either a color, OR it is transparent. Transparent for this indicator means it will NOT color the bar according to the indicator.

I would suggest... just to test the indicator, use OHLC bars and NOT candles to be sure the Transparent thing works.

maxuscz 
Brno, Czech republic

forrestang View Post
I have to say, I'm struggling to understand what your post is saying? I'm not sure what you mean by, "If I add gray golor with some % of transparent"?

You can't add a % of transparent, as it's either a color, OR it is transparent. Transparent for this indicator means it will NOT color the bar according to the indicator.

I would suggest... just to test the indicator, use OHLC bars and NOT candles to be sure the Transparent thing works.

Sorry forrestang,
Here is picture for explain my idea.

About grey bars - I see them on 5 minutes chart. But I use 2000 ticks chart only. And when you select tick chart - no gray bars 8)

jmont1 
New York, NY

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: NinjaTrader8
Broker: Data = Rithmic -- Gives 70 Level II Data
Trading: 6C (Low Margin,) 6E, CL, GC, ES and Maybe DX for smaller tick value
Thanks Given: 1,719
Thanks Received: 1,019

forrestang View Post
Howdy sir. I'm basically just building this for YOUR use-case. I could make it such that it would work for everyone and be a bit more universal, but for now I'd rather just build based on how you plan on using it, as it would be simpler to do, and I think its not something many people are going to be needing...

@forrestang, Awesomely appreciate your efforts, especially since you do not run NT live for your account!!!

So I do not need to get to the more specific per second and will be running it using price change not on every tick so do not waste time and effort for that. Tested it against multiple instruments and multiple accounts and it seems to differentiate correctly.
If you are willing to add effort then I would appreciate being able to move the timer since i have others that are in lower left. Or would help if I could raise it a number of ticks on the left so I could place it say 6 ticks above bottom. But probably easier to simply use the place in the the corners.

Additionally, to be able to use this with a Strategy Builder BOT would require being able to "see" the time. Strategy Builder can only see "int's" and not doubles but I have never tried seeing a time. Any thoughts on how this could be exposed as an Int by a transparent plot by reading the hour and minute, then converting to minutes and plotting that int? So 1 hour and 44 minutes would plot transparently as 104 (60 + 44.) My use case would not need more than the minute info. So if the time was always rounded to closest minute and plotted transparently with the show transparent plots in data box I believe I could use it.

THANKS AGAIN!!!

forrestang 
Chicago IL

maxuscz View Post
Sorry forrestang,
Here is picture for explain my idea.

About grey bars - I see them on 5 minutes chart. But I use 2000 ticks chart only. And when you select tick chart - no gray bars 8)

I found the issue with this indicator and what you are seeing. It is a function of using tic charts, as I was able to replicate this issue on my end(not seeing the reversal/gray bars on tic charts).

The piece of code that is responsible for this is:

Code
			bool overlap = false;
			if(MAX(High, 5)[0] - MIN(Low,5)[0] < 2 * BarsPeriod.Value* TickSize) {
				//Print(Time[0] + " H=" + MAX(High, 5)[0] + " L=" + MIN(Low,5)[0]);
				overlap = true;
			}
			if(MAX(High, 4)[0] - MIN(Low,4)[0] < 1.5 * BarsPeriod.Value * TickSize) {
				overlap = true;
			}
Essentially, that bool called overlap is what creates gray bars. You can see here, it evaluates to true if the range of the previous 4-5 bars is less than the barperiod * the ticksize. In this case, BarsPeriod if using a tic chart will always produce a very large number. For TIC charts, this ALWAYS evaluates to true IF YOU USE LARGE TIC SIZES. So it essentially WILL not create reversal bars(gray) on LARGE tic charts.

So just mathematically, if you want to see the gray bars, you have to use a smaller tic size.

As mentioned in a previous post, this is one of the indicators that is NOT my own creation(I just converted from NT7 for another user), so I do not understand the rational behind the indicator.

The author left notes, which I left in the indicator, and it was created by Cunparis, who I've seen on other forums, so you might have to ask him about it. But in his notes, he says the following:

Quoting 
Reversal Bar by cunparis

This indicator will color a reversal bar grey.
It is designed to be used on range charts.
If you see a lot of grey bars then it could be consolidation.
If you see a lot of colored bars then price is moving nicely.

So it seems his idea was this would be used on Range charts?

So to recap:
  • The indicator uses the BarPERIOD to find congestion,and tic charts always produce a large number
  • If you want to use tic charts, to see gray bars, you have to use a lower-tic chart
  • The original author intended this to be used on range bar charts

Thanked by:
 maxuscz 
Brno, Czech republic

Thank you so match, man
you spend lot of time with my stupid question. Now we know how it must worked 8)
Indicator name promise give me hope to get easy information about reversal bars. english is not my language and read how reversal bar must looked from PATs forum is not easy for me. 8) But im try (try to find easy way to do it 8-)
Still must say - you make good job. thank you

If you know another one indicator to detect reversal bars on ES chart - tell me.

best regards
Max

Last Updated on May 12, 2022

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts