NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Should civil discourse about politics be allowed on FIO?

Discussion in Off-Topic

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one userque with 10 posts (2 thanks)
    2. looks_two Big Mike with 6 posts (18 thanks)
    3. looks_3 bobwest with 6 posts (22 thanks)
    4. looks_4 SpeculatorSeth with 5 posts (15 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one kevinkdog with 23 thanks per post
    2. looks_two forrestang with 22 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 bobwest with 3.7 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 Big Mike with 3 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 12,287 views
    2. thumb_up 235 thanks given
    3. group 512 followers
    1. forum 94 posts
    2. attach_file 0 attachments

Search this Thread

Should civil discourse about politics be allowed on FIO?

AllSeeker 
Mumbai, India
Legendary Pratik_4Clover

Experience: Beginner
Platform: TradingView & ZerodhaKite
Trading: NIFTY, BANKNIFTY
Frequency: Daily
Duration: Minutes
Thanks Given: 5,249
Thanks Received: 5,012

Renko123 View Post
Or simply enjoy the fact that when you have died, it wont matter what happens to a once great American Nation.

Nations come and go, greatness is hardly a reserved spot. Why let it effect our own little life

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
How to apply profiles
Traders Hideout
Pivot Indicator like the old SwingTemp by Big Mike
NinjaTrader
ZombieSqueeze
Platforms and Indicators
MC PL editor upgrade
MultiCharts
Cheap historycal L1 data for stocks
Stocks and ETFs

phantomtrader 
Reno, Nevada
Legendary Market Wizard

Experience: Advanced
Platform: NinjaTrader
Trading: ZN, ZB, CL
Frequency: Daily
Duration: Minutes
Thanks Given: 217
Thanks Received: 990

kevinkdog View Post
There are plenty of places on the Internet to argue politics.

I'd like to keep futures.io free of politics - except how maybe certain elections, etc could cause markets to change.

Agree 100% There's no such thing as "civil talk" about politics. It's a species that died out a long time ago.
Also, humans tend to bear a grudge. Before you know it, people's politics will be dragged into everything.

Thanked by:

FuturesTrader71 

Thanks Given: 174
Thanks Received: 1,514

My opinion is that on a risk/reward or cost/benefit basis, this is not a likely winner. Politics have become somewhat of a religion for many. People's views are often defended at all cost, so it would be similar to everyone standing up, blocking their ears and shouting their views at the top of their voice. There are a TON of places for that everywhere including Reddit.

My experience is that those discussion inevitably break down into name-calling, racism and so on.

I personally see FIO as a safe-haven for traders to focus. But this is just 1 vote.

Risk Disclaimer: Trading Futures is not suitable for all investors. Past Performance is not indicative of future results.

If you have any questions about the products or services provided, please send me a Private Message or use the futures.io " Ask Me Anything" thread
Follow me on Twitter Reply With Quote

Lysakat 
Las Vegas NV USA

Experience: Beginner
Platform: TWS, TOS, Multicharts
Broker: IB
Trading: Stocks, ETFS,Options
Thanks Given: 11
Thanks Received: 11

I agree with the majority. Politics are generally divisive and do not belong within a community built on common goals.

However there are statistics and other information about politics, election years, various party combinations, etc. that statistically affect trading.

This is the only time politics are appropriate because it is about trading. Lets stick to the subject.

Thanked by:
 Trendseek 
Leipzig / Germany

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: NT / TS, MC and Clones
Broker: Interactive Broker
Trading: Futures, Forex
Thanks Given: 46
Thanks Received: 36

kevinkdog View Post
There are plenty of places on the Internet to argue politics.

I'd like to keep futures.io free of politics - except how maybe certain elections, etc could cause markets to change.

Absolutely agree. No aluminum hats.
No alternative facts.
No politics outside of issues relevant to the stock market.

Thanked by:
ees1618
Fayetteville, NC

Thanks Given: 0
Thanks Received: 0

Hello all, as a rare lurker on this site I would like to introduce myself and give my two cents opinion 😉.

I understand the distaste for flame wars and rabbit hole ranting. That being said I personally find value in discourse and critical thinking material of all types.

Other unrelated forums I have seen separate threads and may have 'cleanly' moderated threads and another no holds barred thread for the same topic.

My personal interest and limited military experience have led me to form opinions aligned with the protection of freedom of speech.

As far as conspiracy theories, the factually supported evidence I find often reveals they may be true, debased lies with a thread of truth or sometimes even gaslighting operations performed by 'psychological operations' departments.

I say let it fly!

SunTrader
Boca Raton, FL

Thanks Given: 81
Thanks Received: 182

Back in the 90's I was a regular, morning mostly, CNBC watcher. Then at a certain point I found it a big distraction and either left it off or muted when on. Later when they went too far into politics, regardless of whether there was a business aspect to a particular discussion or not, they lost me. For good.

So I think you can guess how I feel about this topic. Even though, like most, I do participate on other forums.

Thanked by:
 tatay 
Houston + Texas / United States

Trading: ES
Thanks Given: 3
Thanks Received: 23

Big Mike View Post
Hey guys,

It's 2021 and we're all hoping for positive change in the world, and a return to a bit more normalcy is soon upon us.

I would like to hear from you - should civil discourse of politics be allowed in the off-topic section of our community?

Politics often impact markets. There is also part of me that believes that we, as a community, have a lot to say about politics and the world events that affect us all.

There would be rules: a strong enforcement of civil posts. No incitement. No flames. No trolling.

I will be creating a site wide poll for this subject in the coming days, but the current poll is still running and needs to finish first. In the meantime, please share your thoughts.

Mike

"Civil Discourse about Politics" is an Oximoron, There is nothing civil about politics and it is best left alone.
Imposing "rules" just redirects the discourse to be like coral reefs which are very sharp and creates dangerous currents to all swimmers.
There is no such thing as "Civil" when it comes to politics today.

People need a place, like trading discussions, where we can forget about politics.
Can't this place be an asylum from that?

Aragorn 
Salt Lake City, UT

Broker: NinjaTrader Brokerage
Trading: ES, 6E
Thanks Given: 215
Thanks Received: 359

Politics, like religion, can never be civil... for very long.

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
 AJ00 
Hendersonville, NC

Platform: TradeStation
Trading: NQ
Thanks Given: 1
Thanks Received: 1

There are many other places for discussing politics, let's keep FIO all about trading.

Thanked by:

Last Updated on February 8, 2021

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts